***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,429 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agproducer said:

helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

Yuli has quietly made my list of top 10 Astros all time. I'm partial to 1B guys and Bagwell will forever be my personal number one, but Yuli holds a special place in my heart.
Let's hear everyone's Top 10s, because Opening Day is still a very long 14 days away.

My list:

1. Jose Altuve
2. Nolan Ryan
3. Craig Biggio
4. Lance Berkman
5. Roy Oswalt
6. George Springer
7. Bobby Wagner
8. Jeff Bagwell
9. Carlos Correa
10. Randy Johnson
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Farmer1906
AG
Behind a paywall but that's a nice quote from Altuve.

agproducer
AG
First part of the article:

Astros second baseman Jose Altuve isn't one to speak in superlatives, but sitting at his locker Wednesday morning, he made a bold prediction about his new double-play partner, rookie shortstop Jeremy Peña.
"He's going to be a superstar," Altuve said. "I can tell by his attitude. He cares. He wants to be the best."
As Altuve spoke, the player Peña is replacing, Carlos Correa, could be seen on the clubhouse television, conducting his introductory news conference with the Minnesota Twins. The Astros will always revere Correa, 27, as both a player and leader. But they also adore Peña, 24, viewing him as an emerging prodigy, gifted, hard-working and mature.
Peña projects as a defense-first type, at least initially. But Altuve sees him developing into a player who can hit .280 with 20 homers and a .900 OPS. "He's going to steal bases, too," Altuve said. "They say he's faster than me. I don't think so. But he's pretty fast."
Troy Snitker, the Astros' co-hitting coach, describes Peña as a "twitch freak," referring to the quick-twitch muscles common in elite athletes. Bench coach Joe Espada, who works with the team's infielders, also raved about Peña's physical attributes, but added he was equally impressed with the shortstop's field awareness, his baseball IQ.
High praise, particularly for a player who has appeared in only 182 minor-league games, and only 30 above Class A. Peña, the Astros' third-round pick in 2018, had his first professional season curtailed by shin splints after 36 games. He missed all of 2020 because of the cancellation of the minor-league season, and appeared in only 37 games last season after undergoing left wrist surgery in April.
Yet Peña, the son of Gernimo Peña, an infielder with the Cardinals and Indians from 1990 to 1996, is not exactly inexperienced. He spent the past two offseasons playing for Estrellas in the Dominican winter league. He also was part of the Astros' taxi squad last postseason, attending meetings, participating in workouts, asking questions of Altuve and Correa. Astros GM James Click said the experience was, "like going to graduate school for baseball."
"This is not new for him," Espada said. "He has been around us. He kind of knows how to go about things."
But a potential superstar? Really? Astros third baseman Alex Bregman, informed of Altuve's prediction for Peña, nodded in affirmation.
"I believe it," Bregman said.
Mets second Robinson Can, Peña's teammate with Estrellas during the offseason, also was enthusiastic in his evaluation.
"He's an athlete," Can said of Peña. "He can run. He can move, hit for power, too. For me, he has all the tools.
"He's going to be a superstar, for sure."
Proudag06
AG
Good call on Bobby Wagner! I forgot to include a linebacker
Ag_07
AG
So in regards to replacing Correa we know we're gonna have to replace his production and that is one thing but let's talk about replacing his leadership and who is gonna take on that role.

Altuve - That type of leadership is not really in his character
JV - Maybe but hard to do as pitcher who only plays every 5 days
Lance - Maybe but hard to do from the trainers table
Tucker - Also not really in his character

I think it needs to Bregman. He needs to have have a big year and get back to being cocky Bregs. I think he can step into that leadership role and be the one to scold Framber when he's losing focus, call out idiots in front of the mic, and be the leader in lockerroom.

This is an important year from Bregman and he needs to take that next step. He can be a big key in both replacing CC both in production and leadership.

Earn that wheelbarrow back!!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Just personal opinion here but we need to slow the roll on retired number discussion. Great player, hang their name in the rafters and put them in the new Hall of Fame but that's it. Numbers should only be retired if they're a generational talent put into the baseball HOF. We don't need to become the Yankees with football numbers on the field...but without the rings or amount of guys in the HOF.

I love La'Pina but he has absolutely no business having his number retired. Current and recent crop the only option I see is 27
Proudag06
AG
Don't forget about the two veterans behind the plate. Maldy and Castro will provide some leadership at least for the pitchers. Agree about Bregman and maybe Yuli in the field.
Ag_07
AG
I think it also helps Yuli's legendary status when you think about his backstory and how he came into the league.

Signed out of Cuba at a late age and was a huge unknown with no real position. Hell he was the lesser of the Gurriel bros and many thought he was signed just to get the inside track on his brother.

Now he's a gold glove caliber 1bman, reigning AL batting champ, and has a ring.

It's a phenomenal story and he's come a LONG ways from where he was when he arrived.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/max-stassi-signs-extension-with-angels
Good for Max
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Just personal opinion here but we need to slow the roll on retired number discussion. Great player, hang their name in the rafters and put them in the new Hall of Fame but that's it. Numbers should only be retired if they're a generational talent put into the baseball HOF. We don't need to become the Yankees with football numbers on the field...but without the rings or amount of guys in the HOF.

I love La'Pina but he has absolutely no business having his number retired. Current and recent crop the only option I see is 27
I agree. I think we were overzealous in retiring in the past. I would consider both Wagner and Berkman though. I think they're deserving of it and deserving of Cooperstown.

If we got a couple more years from either Springer or Correa, I think they would have been on track too (for # retirement).
AustinCountyAg
Farmer1906 said:

Best case scenario - Yuli plays here 2 more years at around 85% of his 2021. He retires as an Astro only after 8 years. He keeps his career #s at .800 OPS / 115 wRC+. Wins 1 more GG, but no All Star appearances.

Does his # get retired? Where does he rank all time in Astros history? I think at worst he'd make the Astros HOF in left center.
god no his # doesn't deserve to be retired.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I think Yuli is criminally underrated/underappreciated by general baseball fans, but not even close to deserving a number retirement. He will likely get a contract extension though, and that's pretty good for a 1st baseman of his age.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Can I have a moment of insecurity and vulnerability

I was born in 86 so those glory days were before me. I grew up in the Dome as an Astros buddy when you got a set of tickets like every other week or whatever. My soundtrack to my baseball youth is "You can ring me bell" and "Enter Sandman". We didn't watch a whole lot of baseball on TV, we went to games, my brother and I played but didn't watch much on tv and my dad wasn't a huge baseball fan. He is now much more because of me mostly. My grandfather (moms side) was an old school guy, he would keep a book listening to the radio when I was young...this made absolutely no sense to me so I ignored it...

With all of that being said, and damn I hate to say this and admit it...can someone explain Cruz to me. I don't get it. To me he is just our ex first base coach. I do recognize he was so much more than that....but I'm not much of a baseball historian. I love baseball and probably watch 150 games a year but I don't go back on old stuff.

Please don't abuse me too bad with your reprimands
3 Toed Pete
AG
We have Roger Metzger and Mark Portugal references and no Larry Dierker???? Both as a pitcher and broadcaster. And I agree about Deshaies on the mound and in the booth.

Cesar Cedeno was my favorite player growing up - he was so good before the shooting in the Dominican with a couple of .320 seasons.

I'm just old enough to remember the trade of Joe Morgan. Didn't know what to think at the time but spent the next decade wondering "what if". Was brutal watching him win MVP and World Series with the Reds while we would always be 15 games back at the All Star break.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Quote:

7. Bobby Wagner
Is this a joke I dont get?

tjack16
AG
1. Jose Altuve
2. Craig Biggio
3. Jeff Bagwell
4. Mike Scott
5. Nolan Ryan
6. Jose Cruz
7. Lance Berkman
8. George Springer
9. Roy Oswalt
10. Carlos Correa

I was born in 1993 so I'm probably more recency biased to the 2000s - Present

I think Tucker, Bregman, Yordan and Yuli could make these lists easily. Also if LMJ puts together some consistent seasons
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

agproducer said:

helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

Yuli has quietly made my list of top 10 Astros all time. I'm partial to 1B guys and Bagwell will forever be my personal number one, but Yuli holds a special place in my heart.
Let's hear everyone's Top 10s, because Opening Day is still a very long 14 days away.

My list:

1. Jose Altuve
2. Nolan Ryan
3. Craig Biggio
4. Lance Berkman
5. Roy Oswalt
6. George Springer
7. Bobby Wagner
8. Jeff Bagwell
9. Carlos Correa
10. Randy Johnson
Coog97
agproducer said:

helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Nolan
5. Mike Scott
6. Wagner
7. Correa
8. Berkman
9. Cedeno
10. Cruz

Bregman, JV, Clemens, JR, Wynn, Yuli and Morgan could be deserving. This is my top 10.
Good list, AP. Bumping Ryan for Oswalt (blasphemy, right?) and Correa for Wynn.

1. Bagwell
2. Biggio
3. Berkman
4. Altuve
5. Oswalt
6. Scott
7. Cedeño
8. Wagner
9. Wynn
10. Cruz
jkag89
Jose Cruz was a fixture and the benchmark Astros position player for a generation of Houston baseball fans. Many good and dynamic players played in the Dome during his stint in Houston but until Biggio surpassed him in the early 2000's he had played more games as an Astro than anybody else.. While Cheo may not have produced eye catching numbers in his 13 seasons as a player, he was more than a solid contributor both at the plate and in the field as his lifetime WAR of 54.4 can attest. I think fans also could sense his love and respect for the game. His stint a the first base coach just reinforced all of that for Astros fans of my generation.
Red Five
AG
To add to jkag89's comments, 3rd highest career WAR for any Astros player after Bags and Bidge. 3 times top 10 in MVP voting. Hit for doubles and stole bases (avg almost 30/30 over a 10 year span from '76 - '85). 125 OPS+ for his career as an Astro, identical to Altuve currently. 4.45 WAR/162 games as an Astro compared to 4.7 for Altuve, though Altuve's peak was obviously higher and he will pass Cruz in career WAR.

Cheo Cruz was my hero as a 5 year old.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

To add to jkag89's comments, 3rd highest career WAR for any Astros player after Bags and Bidge. 3 times top 10 in MVP voting. Hit for doubles and stole bases (avg almost 30/30 over a 10 year span from '76 - '85). 125 OPS+ for his career as an Astro, identical to Altuve currently. 4.45 WAR/162 games as an Astro compared to 4.7 for Altuve, though Altuve's peak was obviously higher and he will pass Cruz in career WAR.

Cheo Cruz was my hero as a 5 year old.

EDIT:
Nolan Ryan candidly destroying McMullen in this interview for not getting another bat for the offense.
Bill Doran - playing for the Astros at age 12 in this video.

And now all I want to do is watch This Week in Baseball. That was my holy grail growing up. And when credits would roll that started with the last out of Scotty's no-hitter, oh boy, that was the moment.
Ag_07
AG
Blasphemy that no one has mentioned Larry Dierker as a top 10 Astro.

From young phenom pitcher, to mainstay in the booth, to manager of the Gold Star Stros he's a legend.

I know it may seem like recency bias but with the run this team is on most of the top 10 will be recent players.

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Ryan
5. JV
6. Wagner
7. Springer
8. Berkman
9. Dierker
10. CC
1836er
AG
My favorite show was The Baseball Bunch... starring Johnny Bench and his sidekick "The Dugout Wizard."
RO519
AG
1. Biggio
2. Altuve
3. Bagwell
4. Rayn
5. Caminiti
6. Wagner
7. Berkman
8. Oswalt
9. Scott
10. Cruz

Honorable Mentions:
Springer, Breggy, Correa, JV, Reddick, Wynn

That's the list if you were born in the late 80's/early 90's
agproducer
AG
I thought of Roy O, but I couldn't deny Nolan's impact on the team.

I like the addition of Toy Cannon, but I never got to see him play. I only know the history.
Proudag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Blasphemy that no one has mentioned Larry Dierker as a top 10 Astro.

From young phenom pitcher, to mainstay in the booth, to manager of the Gold Star Stros he's a legend.

I know it may seem like recency bias but with the run this team is on most of the top 10 will be recent players.

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Ryan
5. JV
6. Wagner
7. Springer
8. Berkman
9. Dierker
10. CC

Blasphemy no one has this guy in top ten!
I got him 9.
Ag_07
AG
Thought about putting him higher just to preempt this exact response.

Honestly 4-10 can be interchanged in any order.
astros4545
AG
Berkman getting serious slander considering he is the best offensive player in Astros history
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
astros4545 said:

Berkman getting serious slander considering he is the best offensive player in Astros history
Also a infield/outfield defensive asset.

"Agile, athletic, sleek-all these things describe my game!"
07ag
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

astros4545 said:

Also a infield/outfield defensive asset.

"Agile, athletic, sleek-all these things describe my game!"
The Blue Dart! https://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=3404533
https://ts.la/eric59704
3B Paul 97
AG
We used to sit the hat on our head so it would fly off when we were playing around running after fly balls to be like Cruz. Heck, it seems he could drift over 3 steps for a can of corn and his hat would fly off.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Dusty letting Hensley and Orr and Pena know what he thinks about their offense.
tjack16
AG

Farmer1906
AG
Did Bryan Abreu transition from pitcher to outfielder?
First Page Last Page
Page 172 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.