***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,420 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Quote:

Doolittle

One of the biggest chodes in Washington
And he's not even a politician. Impressive.
He thinks he is though, thats why he sucks
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Castro just said in an interview that he might hang out up after this year
cap-n-jack
Where is Blum going with this story?
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Castro just said in an interview that he might hang out up after this year

We should get him a WS ring before he goes
astros4545
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Where is Blum going with this story?
i was pretty lost as well
AustinCountyAg
Memories… wife and I were bored one summer day few years back with our twin two year olds at the time. She decided we would take them to the game. Luckily, we decided to get club seats. Super handy because they were able to run around and be somewhat contained like others have mentioned. Pretty sure we made it maybe 5 innings total before we both lost our **** and decided to go. We made a memory no doubt. Everyone around us thought we were crazy as hell for doing that. Super helpful ushers. Also if I remember right in order to get the first game certificate they do that by third base line on the bottom level.
My advice is get club level seats and the last row if possible. That way you can't stand up and hold your kid and nobody behind you gets pissed. Also allows you the option of standing up behind your seat and stretching legs.

Good luck and have fun.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
If he continues at around 90% of what he was last year (thru June), I'd give him a 2 years deal worth around 15 M with the second year either being a vesting option or mutual option.

How many 37 year old first basemen still have a sprint speed in the top 50% of the league? He doesn't K. He doesn't whiff. The only major concern is if he power keeps declining. Based on tonight's swing we may not have to worry too much.
tjack16
AG
I'd be down to extend him.
astros4545
AG
And I'd be down to let Alvarez play first base
W
AG
it will be fun to see how Yuli does this year.

last year...he had 163 plate appearances w/RISP...and only struck out 10 times.

I figure he'll play 140 games again, so someone will draw 20+ starts at first base
Ag_07
AG
So what happens first this season....

Tucker in CF or Yordan at 1B
JDUB08AG
AG
Yuli has quietly made my list of top 10 Astros all time. I'm partial to 1B guys and Bagwell will forever be my personal number one, but Yuli holds a special place in my heart.
Farmer1906
AG
Best case scenario - Yuli plays here 2 more years at around 85% of his 2021. He retires as an Astro only after 8 years. He keeps his career #s at .800 OPS / 115 wRC+. Wins 1 more GG, but no All Star appearances.

Does his # get retired? Where does he rank all time in Astros history? I think at worst he'd make the Astros HOF in left center.
bearkatag15
AG

Yelich has been a below average player for 2 seasons. No way he's the 3rd best LF
gougler08
AG
Joey Gallo? What?
bearkatag15
AG
gougler08 said:

Joey Gallo? What?

He probably has the best arm on the list but yeah that .205 BA
Ag_07
AG
Does Gallo even play LF?
The Porkchop Express
AG
WelchAg said:

Yuli has quietly made my list of top 10 Astros all time. I'm partial to 1B guys and Bagwell will forever be my personal number one, but Yuli holds a special place in my heart.
Let's hear everyone's Top 10s, because Opening Day is still a very long 14 days away.
W
AG
those are good questions...especially if the Astros are the only team he ever plays with for 8 or 9 seasons.

winning a batting title and gold glove helps his cause. Would be nice if he can reach 1,000 hits and 500 RBI.

he's played in 73 playoff games for the 'stros
agproducer
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

Let's hear everyone's Top 10s, because Opening Day is still a very long 14 days away.

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Nolan
5. Mike Scott
6. Wagner
7. Correa
8. Berkman
9. Cedeno
10. Cruz

Bregman, JV, Clemens, JR, Wynn, Yuli and Morgan could be deserving. This is my top 10.

jopatura
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Best case scenario - Yuli plays here 2 more years at around 85% of his 2021. He retires as an Astro only after 8 years. He keeps his career #s at .800 OPS / 115 wRC+. Wins 1 more GG, but no All Star appearances.

Does his # get retired? Where does he rank all time in Astros history? I think at worst he'd make the Astros HOF in left center.

If Berkman's number isn't retired, I don't think Yuli's would be or should be.
The Porkchop Express
AG
agproducer said:

helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Nolan
5. Mike Scott
6. Wagner
7. Correa
8. Berkman
9. Cedeno
10. Cruz

Bregman, JV, Clemens, JR, Wynn, Yuli and Morgan could be deserving. This is my top 10.

I suspect you and I are very close in age given those picks.
JDUB08AG
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

WelchAg said:

Let me think this through. I was born in 85 so I feel it's disingenuous to count guys before the early 90s. This is my personal list of guys I grew up with and embrace.

- Bagwell
- Biggio
- Caminiti
- Berkman
- Oswalt
- Altuve
- Reynolds
- Yuli
- Bregman
- Wagner

You could put the entire 2017 roster in play here bc I've never cried in sports like I did that night. Contention guys below…

- Springer (this was my hardest decision)
- Correa (not personal but longevity matters to me)
- JV
- Hampton
- Ausmus
- Clemens
- Pettite
- Dotel/Lidge (for a period this was the deadliest BP out there. Pretty sure Wagner was closer for part of this too)
- Burke (one reason only)
The Porkchop Express
AG
My list.

1. Jose Cruz
2. Jose Altuve
3. Mike Scott
4. Justin Verlander
5. Craig Biggio
6. Nolan Ryan
7. Kevin Bass
8. Jim Deshaies
9. Mark Portugal
10. Cesar Cedeno
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Glad Yuli decided to get in shape to get a new deal… as opposed to the one he was being paid to honor.

Yeah, old guy yelling at a cloud…
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Proudag06
AG
I will say things have changed as I've gotten older but I tried to rank as I felt about them when they were playing.

1. Altuve
2. Biggio
3. Bagwell
4. Berkman
5. Springer (would be higher if stayed)
6. N. Ryan (barely saw him as an Astro but love him as a Texan)
7. Oswalt
8. Verlander
9. Dotel/Wagner (they are one person to me)
10. Bregman

Just missed: Yuli and Mike Hampton.
Too early but potential: Yordon and Tucker
agproducer
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

My list.

1. Jose Cruz
2. Jose Altuve
3. Mike Scott
4. Justin Verlander
5. Craig Biggio
6. Nolan Ryan
7. Kevin Bass
8. Jim Deshaies
9. Mark Portugal
10. Cesar Cedeno

Yep. Definitely around the same age.

Your Mark Portugal pick us an interesting one, and I like you inclusion of Deshaies. I enjoy Kalas and Blum in the booth, but JD was incredible. I wish the Astros would have kept him.
KTAG05
AG
All aboard the Pena hype train!

mwm
Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks like he's hitting with a fungo.
txislandag86
If your my age Roger Metzger is on the list. He always had a big chaw of chewing tobacco in his mouth.

Frok
AG
Didn't realize Pena is 24. He's only 3 years younger than Correa.

Buck Compton
AG
Frok said:

Didn't realize Pena is 24. He's only 3 years younger than Correa.

Thats what happens when you're a top pick in the draft (Correa). You're in the league earlier.

Funny enough, they have the same birthday if Sept. 22nd. Exactly three years apart.
The Porkchop Express
AG
agproducer said:

helloimustbegoing said:

My list.

1. Jose Cruz
2. Jose Altuve
3. Mike Scott
4. Justin Verlander
5. Craig Biggio
6. Nolan Ryan
7. Kevin Bass
8. Jim Deshaies
9. Mark Portugal
10. Cesar Cedeno

Yep. Definitely around the same age.

Your Mark Portugal pick us an interesting one, and I like you inclusion of Deshaies. I enjoy Kalas and Blum in the booth, but JD was incredible. I wish the Astros would have kept him.
I got to throw out the first pitch at a game my senior in HS and Portgual was the starting pitcher (shut out the Expos). Not only did he shake my hand when I came off the mound - as opposed to Scott Servais, who yelled "Hurry up!" at me, but I got to hang around before the game on the field during BP and heard him call Gary Carter an "old c0ck sucker" when he wouldn't get out of the cage when it was time for the Astros to hit.

I love Kalas and Blummer as well, but Deshaies was just made for that job. When local Houston sports had him in the booth for the Astros and Matt Bullard for the Rockets, I would watch those games as much for the color commentators as for the action on the court.
agproducer
AG
Pretty good article. It seems liked the Astros want to give him a shot. If his work ethic is anything like the article says, the club should be in good hands at SS.
First Page Last Page
Page 171 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.