***Official Houston Astros 2021-22 Offseason Thread***

563,592 Views | 6776 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggiEE
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One person looks a lot happier than the other in that picture.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lets consider an alternate universe where Verlander signs elsewhere this offseason. Do you guys think Crane would have spent the short term money on Correa, or do you think the opt-outs still would have been a sticking point?
htxag09
AG
Can't read the article because of the paywall, but based on Chandler Rome's tweets is he saying the Astros weren't in contact after the lockout?

Because literally everything reported was to the contrary. Crane said they were in discussions, Astros players implied they were excited that Correa and the team were in discussions, etc.
Farmer1906
AG
Carlos didn't hear from the Astros, but his agent did. Doesn't seem like being ghosted to me. I wonder how the conversation went on #s and opts-outs. Clearly, something was talked about even if an offer wasn't made. Borras could have told the Astros better be ready to make him the highest-paid IFer and have an opt-out after year 1. Crane decides he's not interested in that kind of deal so no offer is made. Technically, we don't know what Crane was willing to pay. He may have wanted to give 4/132 with an opt-out after 2. I don't think the reports about a new offer and more negotiations coming came out of nowhere.

I also think we need to stop the "he doesn't look happy" bit. It comes off like a sad ex-girlfriend Instagram stalking.
agproducer
AG
They didn't hear anything because the offer was on the table. They chose not to take it.

Crane may have been selling to the media that they were still talking for PR purposes, but looking at what Carlos got, the Astros make a competitive offer.

There's no use in rehashing it.

Also, saying he doesn't look happy is not ex stalking. It's calling a spade a spade.
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

I also think we need to stop the "he doesn't look happy" bit. It comes off like a sad ex-girlfriend Instagram stalking.
I hope his new woman has a smaller win record
Panama Red
AG
If Chander Rome is going with the "ghosting" narrative as true, then that settle it.

It did not happen. That moron loves to create drama.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
If anyone thinks he looks unhappy now, wait until they are 7-23 after the first 30 games.
Farmer1906
AG
He was supposed to be in better shape last year too after a poor 2020.

Edit:

Quote:

"I worked a lot in the offseason on being in better physical condition. I feel a ton better physically in comparison to where I was at last year," Gurriel said. The biggest difference is I had the ability and the time to train physically, which I didn't have last year because of the pandemic. Basically, two weeks after the [2020] season ended, I was beginning my physical training this offseason. I had a lot of time to get ready physically."

The soon-to-be 37-year-old, who reported to camp 15 pounds lighter...
bigjag19
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How did he do last year?
Farmer1906
AG
bigjag19 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How did he do last year?
Borderline top 10 first baseman.
. . .
spadilly
S
I started reading it thinking he was going to address the "post lockout discussions" issue.
Wabs
AG
Any "farewell" letter to Houston from CC? Or just whining about "being ghosted"?
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bigjag19 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How did he do last year?

Borderline top 10? I'd say he's top 3 in the AL

Who in the AL is above him? Vlad Jr and Olson
Wabs
AG
AL batting champion borderline top 10 1B? Hmm...
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

bigjag19 said:

Farmer1906 said:

How did he do last year?

Borderline top 10? I'd say he's top 3 in the AL

Who in the AL is above him? Vlad Jr and Olson
Just trying to rile yall up. The whole "best shape in my life" is a pretty common spring training talking point.

He was great. I think he'll still be good this year.

7th in wRC+, 8th in WAR for 1st basemen. He'd be top 5 or higher if he just had a little more pop.

Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Carlos didn't hear from the Astros, but his agent did. Doesn't seem like being ghosted to me. I wonder how the conversation went on #s and opts-outs. Clearly, something was talked about even if an offer wasn't made. Borras could have told the Astros better be ready to make him the highest-paid IFer and have an opt-out after year 1. Crane decides he's not interested in that kind of deal so no offer is made. Technically, we don't know what Crane was willing to pay. He may have wanted to give 4/132 with an opt-out after 2. I don't think the reports about a new offer and more negotiations coming came out of nowhere.

n_touch
Pretty much in line with what people guessed here.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If Verlander stays healthy, he could really move up the strikeout list all-time this year.

He's 19th right now at 3,013. Max Scherzer is just ahead of him at 3,020.

If he reaches 200 K's this year, he could get all the way to 12th all time.

The top 10 starts with Greg Maddux at 3,371.

On the immediate list to pass includes:
Smoltz 3,084
Sabathia 3,093
Schilling 3,116
Gibson 3,117
Pedro 3,154
Ferguson Jenkins 3,192

He's also 70th all-time in wins (1st among active players) at 226. 10 wins will get him up to a tie with 63rd with Whitey Ford (cue Simpsons pretzel joke), 15 would get him to tied for 5th all-time.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

And so it begins...
Farmer1906
AG
Good write up and I 100% agree. We need to add to the bullpen at some point. I want another lefty. Said it a couple of times in the last dozen or so pages.
Bulldog73
AG
. . . said:

Doesn't use Oxford comma, fire the billionaire.
Farmer1906
AG
Pedro Leon Dinger.

MaxPower
Wouldn't shock me if he is starting I'm CF some point this year. Maybe even opening day if Chas has an injury.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hector Neris making his first appearance
Deluxe
AG
MaxPower said:

Wouldn't shock me if he is starting I'm CF some point this year. Maybe even opening day if Chas has an injury.

Yea I think it's very feasible that he could play a role down the stretch. I expect him to mash at AAA for the first few months of the season and possibly end up in a situation where he's performing too well to not be called up.
MAROON
AG
so this isn't on tv?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
linkdude
AG
Nope but Tags is posting press seat highlights. Bregman just doubled off the left field wall.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Neris goes 1-2-3
linkdude
AG
Scooped by EastCoast
First Page Last Page
Page 167 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.