***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,838,414 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He also said Odo could return for the Padres series in the May 28-30 window. Also that Framber could return after 3 rehab starts putting it around the 1st week of June
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Kaplan published an article this morning on how the Astros could handle the roster when Framber and Odo return in a few weeks. This blurb stuck out to me. Would seem smart for the long term to let Javier go down for a week at some point again

Oh ***** We're 100% doing that, aren't we. The rules sucks but Click isn't doing his job if he's not.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Kaplan published an article this morning on how the Astros could handle the roster when Framber and Odo return in a few weeks. This blurb stuck out to me. Would seem smart for the long term to let Javier go down for a week at some point again

Oh ***** We're 100% doing that, aren't we. The rules sucks but Click isn't doing his job if he's not.
Might as well do it before the CBA gets renegotiated after the season and teams can't do that anymore.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Might as well do it before the CBA gets renegotiated after the season and teams can't do that anymore.
And the CBA needs to be changed because the Astros would dumb not to.

Option 1: 1 additional week with Javier, but we're getting Odo & Framber back and we get another year on control.

Options 2: We keep Javier up and move someone like Garcia and Urqudy to the pen while Bielak goes down. Javier leaves a year earlier.

k20dub
AG
astros4545 said:

The memes in these comments

My favorite:

tjack16
AG

My favorite
astros4545
AG

and my favorite
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Not sure I'd attribute that to their managers...
AgDoc03
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Especially after La Russa recently admitted to not knowing the extra inning rules
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
AgDoc03 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Especially after La Russa recently admitted to not knowing the extra inning rules
He didn't know a very specific one about not using the pitcher as the runner. I wasn;t even aware of it, but then again, I follow an AL team.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
wangus12
AG
Need to add this one to the thread for wins

AgDoc03
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AgDoc03 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

He didn't know a very specific one about not using the pitcher as the runner. I wasn;t even aware of it, but then again, I follow an AL team.
I don't expect casual fans to know every rule. But I would expect the manager of a team to know them.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This should generate some interesting responses
Farmer1906
AG
AgDoc03 said:

Farmer1906 said:

AgDoc03 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't expect casual fans to know every rule. But I would expect the manager of a team to know them.
Absolutely.
Farmer1906
AG
First Base is stacked this year in the AL.

Vlad Jr
11 HR
30 RBI

Walsh
7 HR
29 RBI

La Pina
7 HR
31 RBI

Olsen
9 HR
25 RBI
gougler08
AG
Farmer1906 said:

First Base is stacked this year in the AL.

Vlad Jr
11 HR
30 RBI

Walsh
7 HR
29 RBI

La Pina
7 HR
31 RBI

Olsen
9 HR
25 RBI
Vlad Jr will be starter if the numbers are close (and he deserves it right now anyways)
Mathguy64
AG
Vlad Jr will start and Walsh will be a backup. He and Ohtani will be the only Angels.
Farmer1906
AG
Agreed.

I am a little worried about Yuli's crash. He's way outperforming his expected numbers, especially when it comes to slugging. He's definitely a slump/regress to the mean candidate. Which, we all know, right? 37-year-old La Pina ain't a .980 OPS guy in the bigs.
Farmer1906
AG
Trout die?
SW-14
AG
No Trout?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BMX Bandit
Mathguy64 said:

Vlad Jr will start and Walsh will be a backup. He and Ohtani will be the only Angels.
user name does not check out
Mathguy64
AG
It's an off day. In more ways than one.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I know this was posted yesterday, but it's too good not to repost for the off day.
astros4545
AG
Travolta gif insert here
spadilly
S
Off days...

YNWA_AG
AG
W
AG
that would fit the Angels...3 all-stars...Trout, Ohtani, and Walsh...and last place in the standings
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

that would fit the Angels...3 all-stars...Trout, Ohtani, and Walsh...and last place in the standings
It's even worst than 3 all-stars. Right now, they have what are probably the top two MVP candidates in Trout and Ohtani. And somehow still can't find a way to get their pitching staff or supporting cast or coaching correct to put it together. Maybe it's all that money they're paying Upton and Pujols. And to be fair, their middle infielders are dreadful.

It's a long season, but seems like the same old angels so far. 17-22 is a tough pill to swallow for them. Rotation is still a hot pile of garbage outside of Ohtani.
Farmer1906
AG
Betting Odds for AL MVP
Trout +180
Ohtani +550
Guerrero Jr +1000
Martinez +1800
Buxton +1800
Stanton +2000
Bregman +2400
Abreu +2500
Judge +2500
Ramirez +2500
Alvarez +2700
Farmer1906
AG
Astros wRC+ Per Year (league leader)

2015: 108 (117 Blue Jays)
2016: 101 (113 Red Sox)
2017: 121 (121 Astros) - Tied 3rd highest for single-season from '15-'21 (2 of the 3 above/tied were from the shortened 2020)
2018: 110 (112 A's & Yanks)
2019: 126 (126 Astros) - highest for single-season from '15-'21
2020: 100 (122 Dodgers)
2021: 119 (119 Astros) - currently 6th for single-season from '15-'21

100 is average. 120 = 20% above league average. 85 = 15% below league average.

It feels like we're not far from those all-time great offenses. We really just need more production from CF & C.

CF wRC+ is 67 (26th) & C is 78 (19th). We're top 10 across the board in every other position.

Edit:

Expanded my search.

126 is tied for the highest from 1900-2021 with the '27 Yankees. There are a couple pre-1900 that are higher. 121 is tied for the 6th highest from 1900-2021. Basically, we're in rare air here. Let's not waste this potentially great season. We really need another Commissioner's Trophy during this run to seal it as an all-time great run.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545
AG
W said:

And Anthony "Pujols" Rendon doing a good job on bench security
bearkatag15
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 341 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.