***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,790,727 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

TREX01
Is the Verlander Instagram post a hint?
bearkatag15
AG
TREX01 said:

Is the Verlander Instagram post a hint?
https://instagr.am/p/CO-xv2fp8he

This one? I hope so
Farmer1906
AG
Yall are reading too much into it. He just spoke to the media a week or so ago.

Quote:

"Do I want to pitch? Absolutely," Verlander said Friday during a Zoom call with Houston reporters. "There's a lot of room to go. There's a lot of things that need to go perfectly from now until then for that even to be a discussion. If that time comes, I'm going to have to talk with my surgeon, all of our staff."

"I hope that my teammates put me in position to make that decision," Verlander said. "I hope the guys continue to play great baseball and play deep into October. That would be very difficult for me not to join them. That's a long way away, and there's a lot of people that would have to help in that decision-making."
bearkatag15
AG

Ohtani had a foul ball called a HR vs Boston at Fenway yesterday similar to what Pujols had vs us a few weeks ago. Ohtani's looks even more foul
astros4545
AG
Looked fair to me
Farmer1906
AG
I can't tell from the one camera view. Pesky pole kind of distorts things even more.
Buck Compton
AG
Look at the fan reaction and you'll be able to tell. All the Red Sox fans were upset because they knew it was fair.
Farmer1906
AG
Not breaking any news here, but Straw has not been good.

link

Quote:

According to Statcast's Outs Above Average (OAA), his defense is 32nd percentile. Per Ultimate Zone Rating (UZR) and Defensive Runs Saved (DRS), he is below-average. Baseball Prospectus's Fielding Runs Above Average (FRAA) ranks Straw's defense 26th among center fielders.
YNWA_AG
AG
We have 2.1 mil to play with at the deadline. Hopefully we make a move for a bat. JBJ has been worse than straw offensively so we have dodged one bullet so far
bearkatag15
AG

There will be competition for outfielders... hopefully we can land one better than Straw

Farmer1906
AG
He's been flat-out terrible, but he at least plays a strong CF.

I think the move to make is you trade someone or someones off the 40 man to bring up Siri, Dawson, and/or Meyers. See what they can do in the 2nd half.

Dawson - 8 games in AAA

Siri - 8 games in AAA

Meyers - 7 games in AAA
Ag_07
AG
Straw's defense is and always has been the big concern for me.

Even with him in the lineup they're putting up numbers that are plenty good enough to win a lot of game.

But with our BP being so rough we need an upgrade defensively.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Straw's defense is and always has been the big concern for me.

Even with him in the lineup they're putting up numbers that are plenty good enough to win a lot of game.

But with our BP being so rough we need an upgrade defensively.
FWIW, Myles seems to be doing better at fielding. He's taking better routes to the balls. I have to wonder how much of his deficiencies in fielding early in the year were from a cumulative lack of playing time the last few years.

He's a slap hitter. Not gonna hit home runs. None of our outfielders are really magnificent defenders. We had that in 2017. I think if the Astros are gonna get outfield help, it's gonna have to come from within from Siri. If he's called up, they just have to hope his strikeout numbers stay down. Comes down to whether you'd rather have a guy who is gonna take walks / get base hits occasionally, or someone who is gonna strike out / occasionally hit for power.

My guess is they'll try out Chaz in CF before too long given his power hitting advantage (has 2HR, nearly had a 3rd to RF this weekend if it weren't for the robbery). I think they're about equal defensively.
Farmer1906
AG
TED has 4 outs above average so far. That puts him in the 96 percentile for OOA. He's also 71 percentile for outfielder jump (feet covered in the correct direction in the first 3 seconds). IDK if that fits your magnificent definition, but he's the best defender we've had since Jake.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Astros wRC+ Per Year (league leader)

2015: 108 (117 Blue Jays)
2016: 101 (113 Red Sox)
2017: 121 (121 Astros) - Tied 3rd highest for single-season from '15-'21 (2 of the 3 above/tied were from the shortened 2020)
2018: 110 (112 A's & Yanks)
2019: 126 (126 Astros) - highest for single-season from '15-'21
2020: 100 (122 Dodgers)
2021: 119 (119 Astros) - currently 6th for single-season from '15-'21
My Yankees friends HATE this. They're a very pedestrian 101.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TED has 4 outs above average so far. That puts him in the 96 percentile for OOA. He's also 71 percentile for outfielder jump (feet covered in the correct direction in the first 3 seconds). IDK if that fits your magnificent definition, but he's the best defender we've had since Jake.
Fair point. What I should have said was the cumulative defensive ability of our outfield is much lower than it's been in a while. It will be interesting to see what the front office decides to do (if anything) at the trade deadline.
astros4545
AG
W
AG
checking in on a few players...

George has missed 35 games now for the Blue Jays. Unlikely to return this week. He might reach 120 games played. More likely 115 or 110.

Rendon is back for the Angels. He's missed 21 games so far this season.

Giancarlo (until today) and Judge have been healthy. Only missed 7 games and 3 games, respectively. However Stanton will be adding 6 or 7 to his tally this week
W
AG
at times the Angels can't win for losing.

they gave Fletcher a nice 5-year contract in the offseason...and he's been terrible.

.542 OPS in 160 at-bats
TREX01
W said:

checking in on a few players...

George has missed 35 games now for the Blue Jays. Unlikely to return this week. He might reach 120 games played. More likely 115 or 110.

Rendon is back for the Angels. He's missed 21 games so far this season.

Giancarlo (until today) and Judge have been healthy. Only missed 7 games and 3 games, respectively. However Stanton will be adding 6 or 7 to his tally this week
Jays have 123 games left. If he misses just 7 more he can only reach 120. At this point, the Jays have to hope he reaches just 100 games. When he comes back now, they are gonna treat him with kid gloves and there will be some scheduled off days throughout the year.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

at times the Angels can't win for losing.

they gave Fletcher a nice 5-year contract in the offseason...and he's been terrible.

.542 OPS in 160 at-bats
But but but he's hard to strike out. He just puts the ball in play.
bearkatag15
AG
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

1 earned

And looks like Framber is just filling the zone. 47 pitches, 38 strikes.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

1 earned

And looks like Framber is just filling the zone. 47 pitches, 38 strikes.
I assume pitchers treat rehab starts like Spring Training. Work on the stuff, disregard the outcome.
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

About damn time...
bearkatag15
AG

Dodgers are aggressive with their new toy putting him at cleanup.
agproducer
AG

This looks wrong.
cap-n-jack
bearkatag15 said:

How are they going to know who is and who isn't vaccinated?
bluefire579
AG
cap-n-jack said:

bearkatag15 said:

How are they going to know who is and who isn't vaccinated?
They won't other than their own employees. That's why it says "encouraged" instead of "required"
Farmer1906
AG
What a doo doo lineup.
Mathguy64
AG
I didn't know Muncy was a 2B. I guess Albert wanted PT and Albert is getting PT.
Bregxit
AG
agproducer said:

This looks wrong.
It's like Tron got ahold of him. Pujols belongs in red.
First Page Last Page
Page 342 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.