***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,241 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Got some high level analytics for y'all. If we keep our average runs scored >7 while our average runs given up <3 a game then we're going to win a lot of ballgames this year.

Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Pappy starts at 15 year. FYI.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12. Picky picky picky.
shano0603
AG
jetch17 said:

Superb Sasquatch said:

Dan Shedd said:

I wonder if this girl knows how famous she is on this board?

Yes...she does.

I must have completely missed that. Someone wanna fill me in?
agdaddy04
AG
shano0603 said:

jetch17 said:

Superb Sasquatch said:

Dan Shedd said:

Yes...she does.

Pretty sure someone here has a mutual friend and they all ended up at a game together.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
April 9, 1986: Giants 4, Astros 1
Time of game: 2:33. Attendance: 6,875
Record: 0-2, Position - 6th in the NL West, 2 games out of first

Astros Starting 9
Bullock LF
Doran 2B
Walling 3B
Davis 1B
Bass CF
Bailey C
Hatcher RF
Thon SS
Scott P

That's right. The second game of the 1986 season had an attendance of 6,875 for a Wednesday night game. You couldn't even argue that it was because of all the good TV shows on that night. ABC had a rerun of McGyver on and NBC showed a rerun of Highway to Heaven.

Mike Scott, fresh off his 18-8 breakout season, got the start for the Astros and pitched decently, allowing 3 earned runs on 8 hits in five innings. He was completely outmatched by the Giants' Scott Garrelts, who allowed the Astros just 6 hits and 1 run in 7-2/3 innings to take the victory. The Astros did get a great relief outing from Charlie Kerfeld, who allowed 1 hit in 3 innings of scoreless relief. The Giants stole 5 bases in the game, which is like the production for a team in a month these days.

Rookie Will Clark got the Giants on the board with an RBI double in the third, and Bob Melvin doubled home Jeff Leonard in the 4th. The Astros were down 3 to 0 before Craig Reynolds' pinch-hit single drove in Dickie Thon in the last of the sixth. Thon went 3-for-3 on the night and Billy Hatcher made his first start as an Astro, going 0-for-2.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Time of game: 2:33

I noticed the first game was shorter than that. I really think the game was better at that pace but I doubt it will ever go back. Nothing MLB has done has seemed to help much.
Wabs
AG
tjack16
AG
Serious question. If we played the A's 162 times this season what would our record be?

I'm thinking at least 130 wins
jkag89
Harry Dunne said:

Tied for worst start in A's history.

You hate to see it.
Worse since the move to Oakland or the worse ever? There were some stretches when the franchise was in Philly and then in KC when the team was awful.
CoachRTM
AG
Hey sportswriters......
(re: the A's)

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Frok
AG
That plexiglass looks terrible. It would suck to have to watch the game through that.
jetch17
AG
Yeah noticed the plexi behind the dugouts and the outfield bullpen - would suck to watch a ball game in choice seats like a hockey game
Ag_07
AG
Without turning this into the COVID thread...The plexiglass is just a big of a joke as players and coaches are tested on the reg wearing masks.

It's all for show.

What sucks is I can see the plexiglass staying and being a permanent fixture.
spadilly
S
Hawaiian shirt Fridays at the office!

Farmer1906
AG
That's a dope shirt. You know what you gotta do if we win today, right?
Mathguy64
AG
I gotta get me one of those.
dshedd41
S
article I wrote last night about last nights game:
https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/04/09/astros-carlos-co-show-off/
Gig’em Aggies!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
McInnis said:

Quote:

Quote:

Time of game: 2:33

I noticed the first game was shorter than that. I really think the game was better at that pace but I doubt it will ever go back. Nothing MLB has done has seemed to help much.
This is a Baseball Reference page that you might spend all weekend on - lots of year by year stats for the whole league including average time of game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/misc.shtml

In the small sample size of 2021, it's at 3:16. It's been over 3 hours since every year since 2016. In 1986, it was 2:48, so 35 years later, the average game is 28 minutes longer.

You can compare a ton of categories on this page, the most glaring one to me in a quick look is # of pitchers used per game per team. That number passed 4 per team per game a few years ago, and is now at 4.5.

That means every game is getting lengthened at least 6 times for a pitching change. Albeit some of those come between innings, but the visit to the mound by the catcher, then by the pitching coach, then by the manager to actually change pitchers, then the new guy warms up - that's forever.

In 1986, the average number of pitchers per team per game was 2.88. It's a great page to distract you up until game time!
gougler08
AG
spadilly said:

Hawaiian shirt Fridays at the office!

Where's your mask?!?!?!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
shano0603 said:

jetch17 said:

Superb Sasquatch said:

Dan Shedd said:

Yes...she does.

She recorded a second video of the dance and it was posted here probably in 2019.
CFTXAG10
AG
For anyone heading to the juice box anytime soon our experience last night went like this:

-Used the right field entrance, did not wait at all
-You have to have your mask on to gain entry, but they did not ask any questions or take temps or anything
-Once inside the mask is pretty much optional, we walked the lower concourse in a full loop and there was not anybody enforcing it at all that I could see
- ^ same as above once in your seats, don't know exactly how true this is or if it will stick, but the security guard said they would only warn you about your mask if somebody complains about it. Sat in 127 and nobody around us had one on.
- The Orbit mural looked better in person
- Julia walked up the stairs right by us and she looks older in person, but still smokin'
- I like the new self serve beer coolers, or at least I had not seen them before. There is an attendant monitoring it, but you can just walk up to the cooler and grab a beer then do self checkout at one of two registers
Farmer1906
AG
Pretty much this.

There was a lady outside the club telling people to put on masks on the escalators. Other than that, no one said anything to anyone from my view.

Those self-serve coolers have been on the club level before. Neat idea.

CF was an easy entrance too.

Hot tip. I paid 6.18 for parking on parkingwhiz. When I rolled up to the lot it had a $45 sign out front.
RO519
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Got some high level analytics for y'all. If we keep our average runs scored >7 while our average runs given up <3 a game then we're going to win a lot of ballgames this year.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That's a dope shirt. You know what you gotta do if we win today, right?

Hawaiian shirts and ripped jeans party
spadilly
S
Farmer1906 said:

bluefire579
AG
RO519 said:

Farmer1906 said:

That one gave me flashbacks to the stretch of college where I was a physics major (spoiler: didn't graduate with that degree)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Kashchei
AG
Isn't Bauer the guy who was talking **** about the Astros spin rate improvement? (And later the spying scandal?)
The Sun
Kashchei said:

Isn't Bauer the guy who was talking **** about the Astros spin rate improvement? (And later the spying scandal?)

Yes. He focused most of his **** talking at the Astros but he has been vocally critical about it across MLB.

Last year he did an experiment where he used a substance for one inning and sure enough there was a huge increase in his spin rate that one inning.

This season he made a prediction on his stats if he used substances the whole season and basically announced he was going to do it. That's why MLB is targeting him now. He is getting exactly what he wanted all along, attention, and this is going to blow up in Manfred's stupid face.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Cromagnum
AG
Carlos with a bomb.
The Sun
Cromagnum said:

Carlos with a bomb.

You watching last night's game? Delayed post?
Cromagnum
AG
The Sun said:

Cromagnum said:

Carlos with a bomb.

You watching last night's game? Delayed post?

Lunchtime at a bar. I missed the first part of last night's game and thought this was a new game.
Cromagnum
AG
In other news, it pleases me to see Oakland struggling so badly.
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.