***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,836,048 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

With the A's loss that's a 1-game lead for 1st place

2 games up in the loss column.
bearkatag15
AG
Mathguy64
AG
8 straight. Keep that choo choo moving.
SW-14
AG
Arizona finally broke their losing streak.
Silent For Too Long
Got curious, and it appears the 2022 free agent class is pretty loaded in regards to SS:

Javier Baez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Andrelton Simmons, Brandon Crawford

This should bode well for the Astros one way or another.

Also, since we'll have room to get greedy for the first time in 4 years, some other names to keep an eye on:

Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Lance Lynn, Marcus Stroman, Kevin Gausman, Corey Kluber, Eduardo Rodriguez, Dylan Bundy, James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Johnny Cueto (club option), Trevor Bauer (opt-out)

Relievers: Kenley Jansen, Trevor Rosenthal, Brad Hand, Andrew Miller, Jeurys Familia, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Adam Ottavino, Kirby Yates
All I do is Nguyen
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Superb Sasquatch said:

So I just noticed something about how many hits, or the lack thereof, the Orioles have.....

Considering that so much time had passed between my statement and Bielak messing it up, I consider myself exonerated
spadilly
S
This is awesome. Tons of prototype logos, names, etc.

https://uni-watch.com/2021/06/22/early-astros-design-sketches-show-what-might-have-been/

Quote:

Judge Roy Hofheinz, the original owner of the Houston Astros, died in 1982. Nearly four decades later, a huge stash of items from his estate has come up for auction including a bunch of original sketches that show some of the directions the team was considering as it prepared in 1965 to move into its new domed stadium and transition from the Colt .45s to a new identity.
AustinCountyAg
Silent For Too Long said:

Got curious, and it appears the 2022 free agent class is pretty loaded in regards to SS:

Javier Baez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Andrelton Simmons, Brandon Crawford

Also, since we'll have room to get greedy for the first time in 4 years, some other names to keep an eye on:

Starting pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke, Lance Lynn, Marcus Stroman, Kevin Gausman, Corey Kluber, Eduardo Rodriguez, Dylan Bundy, James Paxton, Robbie Ray, Johnny Cueto (club option), Trevor Bauer (opt-out)

Relievers: Kenley Jansen, Trevor Rosenthal, Brad Hand, Andrew Miller, Jeurys Familia, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Adam Ottavino, Kirby Yates

Thanks for posting the same information that has been dissected to death in the off-season.

tjack16
AG

There is one big name on that list that I think we should consider signing. I'm not sure if Crane or Click know about it

Carlos Correa. He's a decent shortstop from what I hear.
Harry Stone
AG
Michael Brantley,

Thank you for resigning with the Astros.
strider98
spadilly said:

This is awesome. Tons of prototype logos, names, etc.

https://uni-watch.com/2021/06/22/early-astros-design-sketches-show-what-might-have-been/

Quote:

Judge Roy Hofheinz, the original owner of the Houston Astros, died in 1982. Nearly four decades later, a huge stash of items from his estate has come up for auction including a bunch of original sketches that show some of the directions the team was considering as it prepared in 1965 to move into its new domed stadium and transition from the Colt .45s to a new identity.

that is too cool. I really like this logo, it's like the Army Air Corp markings from WWII
bearkatag15
AG

Lots of praise for the offense on this clip but also lots of underestimating the starting pitching.
Marvin
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Thanks for posting the same information that has been dissected to death in the off-season.

Woke up out of coffee, did you?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This guy's injury history is brutal. He was a possible CF trade chip for the Twins if he could have stayed healthy, but so much for that.
JJxvi
AG
"Did that guy just say rings are cool!?"

Farmer1906
AG
Harry Stone said:

Michael Brantley,

Thank you for resigning with the Astros.

Member when he was a Blue Jay
bearkatag15
AG
Another stellar outing for Francis Martes last night. Only 7 out of 25 pitches were for strikes and he walked 4 all in 1 inning. He has to be getting cut at this point. He's a wasted roster spot.

On the other hand I continue to be intrigued with Hector Velazquez. He is doing really well from the bullpen and has several years of MLB success.
W
AG
Buxton's injury should open up the all-star roster for Brantley.

should be 4 Astros on the team: Altuve, Correa, Yuli, and MB and then maybe 1 or 2 pitchers
W
AG
in 7 seasons Buxton has only surpassed the 95 games-played plateau 1 time (2017).

he is a free agent after the 2022 season
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

Buxton's injury should open up the all-star roster for Brantley.

should be 4 Astros on the team: Altuve, Correa, Yuli, and MB and then maybe 1 or 2 pitchers

Maldy has a shot as well. He wasn't very far behind Grandal in fan voting

W
AG
regarding Corey Seager...is the general thinking that the Dodgers are not going to resign him?

he's another guy with an injury history, but also one where the reputation / hype has gotten ahead of the actual production.

hasn't surpassed 3.0 WAR in a season since 2017
Ag_07
AG
Props to all you who stayed up after the delay.

I wasn't sure how long it's be so I called it a night.

Not surprised to Angel was on his game last night.
tjack16
AG
W said:

regarding Corey Seager...is the general thinking that the Dodgers are not going to resign him?

he's another guy with an injury history, but also one where the reputation / hype has gotten ahead of the actual production.

I'd rather sign that Correa guy from Houston.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Props to all you who stayed up after the delay.

I wasn't sure how long it's be so I called it a night.

Not surprised to Angel was on his game last night.

Interested in the umpire graphic for eagle-eyed Angel.
bearkatag15
AG
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Not a bad game for him. Consistently bad, but consistent.
redline248
AG
W said:

Has that Lux kid been playing well?
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

So, 93% isn't great for sure, but, at least he was almost 100% consistent. At least with the consistency players can adjust during the game.

I'd prefer accuracy and consistency be 100%, but if accuracy is around league average and the consistency is darn near 100%, I'll at least take it.
The Milkman
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Nobody but the drunks left in that stadium.
I was one of those drunks thank you very much
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

So, 93% isn't great for sure, but, at least he was almost 100% consistent. At least with the consistency players can adjust during the game.

I'd prefer accuracy and consistency be 100%, but if accuracy is around league average and the consistency is darn near 100%, I'll at least take it.

I am now questioning UmpScoreCard's accuracy. Number 2 on there is shown considerably higher than where the pitch actually was. It was fully in the true strike zone, not barey on the top edge. And where is the low pitch Correa got rung up on?
Faustus
bearkatag15 said:

Chuckle at the two worst calls being missed strike threes on outs 1 & 2 in the 8th with Bielak pitching.
Angel was going to make him work to keep the no-hitter going.
htxag09
AG
The worst call was a ball called a strike for a strikeout in the bottom of the 8th..
Frok
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Bregxit said:

Beat40 said:

bearkatag15 said:

I am now questioning UmpScoreCard's accuracy. Number 2 on there is shown considerably higher than where the pitch actually was. It was fully in the true strike zone, not barey on the top edge. And where is the low pitch Correa got rung up on?

You are right. The umpire card doesn't even have it on the correct side of the plate

htxag09
AG
I went to bed early last night so you may be correct, but, in general, none of these strike zone graphics are hard fast rules set by the MLB. For one, I don't believe AT&T adjusts the size of the box for each hitter. So the ump score card zone you see is just as likely as being correct as the zone you're comparing it too.... From the ump score card website:

Quote:

For one, the box is not exact. Camera angles and shake can alter the position of the T.V. strike zone relative to the true strike zone. Second, TV boxes often don't correctly represent the ball itself. The dot that the TBS electronic strike zone uses to represent the ball, for example, is much smaller than an actual baseball. Finally, it is unclear which, if any, T.V. broadcasts adjust the virtual strike zone to adjust for batter stance on a pitch by pitch basis.
First Page Last Page
Page 626 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.