***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,939 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
affirmative.

A's at #7
bluefire579
AG
Good thing the opinion of some ****ty ESPN reporter has absolutely no bearing on the season or playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
Ben Verlander's one is usually pretty good. I think it should release today. We were 11th last week fresh off of blowing 2 games vs SD, but recovering vs the BoSox in 3/4.

I would not be mad at putting the A's in front of us. They lead the division. They've won 6 of their last 7.

Same with the top 3 in the NL West.

Add in the Rays with the best record, a really good ChiSox team, and we're sitting around 7th.
Farmer1906
AG
I'll give ESPN a spec of credit for this.

Quote:

We admonished Jose Altuve in this space earlier this season for getting off to a slow start on the heels of his career-worst 2020 season. It wasn't to rail on him so much as to point out the concerns that go with an undersized second baseman with so much mileage on his tires. Since we did that, we ought to acknowledge that Altuve has gone back to being one of baseball's best players. Since May 6, he's hit .331/.418/.545 with eight homers. Now Altuve's 2020 stat line looks much less like a trend than a strange blip on the radar. -- Doolittle
W
AG
I believe the Astros are 14-5 vs. the Red Sox, Rays, and A's.

that's rather strong vs. the top of the AL
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Up is down, down is up
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Up is down, down is up
and not a ball hit harder than 90mph exit velocity
Farmer1906
AG
Here is Straw's hardest hit ball on the year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=22a8387d-9dab-4c1e-8d67-fdf8600f6066
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Here is Straw's hardest hit ball on the year.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=22a8387d-9dab-4c1e-8d67-fdf8600f6066

I wish Straw would try to pull the ball a little more. I've never seen a righty hit fly balls so consistently to eight field.

He might actually find some gaps if he could try to pull it. At the very least it might get him back up the middle.
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

redline248 said:

These batters talking about being fine with pitchers doctoring balls are so full of sh-t.
Probably because they know the guys on their team are heavy users.
Not only that, you know deep down they hate how hard is to hit the sliders and curves that practically defy physics the way the move.
Ag_07
AG
Honestly does it really make a difference with hitters?

Hitters hit mistakes. Does sticky stuff make you throw less mistakes?

I don't know but I always thought it makes a good pitch great but doesn't really make a bad pitch a good pitch.

If that makes any sense.

Guess what I'm trying to say is even you have sticky stuff on your hands you still have to make the pitch. If you don't it's gonna get hit.
bearkatag15
AG
Jesus, Taylor Jones is in left field instead of Chas.... ****ing hell Dusty
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
That seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Honestly though I feel bad for Chas. Dude got his shot, produced and did his part, and has yet to be rewarded.

Sucks for the guy
W
AG
I think Dusty feels compassion for an opponent in the series finale...if the Astros have won the first 2 or 3 games
bearkatag15
AG

Tucker won't see a single pitch all night
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Tucker won't see a single pitch all night
Did Chas run over Dusty's dog or something? What is wrong with this guy...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Lets be real... this is a good thing
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Beef01
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't know but I always thought it makes a good pitch great but doesn't really make a bad pitch a good pitch.

If that makes any sense.

Guess what I'm trying to say is even you have sticky stuff on your hands you still have to make the pitch. If you don't it's gonna get hit.
Well, the substances that allow you to enhance the grip are more likely to put the ball out of the zone if you make a mistake...it's going to delay your release point which makes it much more likely that a ball gets buried in the dirt in front of home.

Obviously, you could be trying to throw a cutter up in the zone or running a 2-seamer away from an opposite handed batter and groove one down the middle with the delay....but those are specific examples. Most of the time, your mistakes are going to wind-up in the dirt.
bearkatag15
AG

Pretty good spot for Yordan. I'll be curious who besides Acuna, Tatis and Vlad Jr are in front of him.

Edit: Looks like #6 was released earlier today.

Farmer1906
AG
Bo vs Yordan
2021 OPS: .796 vs .861
Career OPS: .853 vs .991

In 18 fewer PA, he also has more home runs and runs batted in for those who care about the counting #s.

I think MLB may need to rethink this one.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

James is old news, Baez is interesting
07ag
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

https://ts.la/eric59704
Farmer1906
AG
Baez would be such a nice shot in the arm for the bullpen.

We have Javier out there. We trust Pressly to finish games. We may add another Javier-like guy (Urquidy, Odo, or Garcia). Stanek is a little hit or miss. Yall hate Raley, but he'll be fine as the #5 or 6 arm.

This cluster F may end up being decent enough. Especially with the offense and starters doing the MF thing.
bearkatag15
AG

Fiers is still trying to pull those underage girls
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We have Javier out there. We trust Pressly to finish games. We may add another Javier-like guy (Urquidy, Odo, or Garcia). Stanek is a little hit or miss. Yall hate Raley, but he'll be fine as the #5 or 6 arm.

This cluster F may end up being decent enough. Especially with the offense and starters doing the MF thing.
I want Baez back, but we don't really know what we have in him. I hope he's all he's advertised to be.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

I want Baez back, but we don't really know what we have in him. I hope he's all he's advertised to be.
Baez isn't some unknown rookie, we have pretty large sample size of consistent data showing us what he is, which is a pretty damn good relief pitcher that will like be our 2nd or 3rd best bullpen arm this year

Ag_07
AG
Well said

And honestly I really like Javier in the role he played last night.

A solid middle relief guy who can come in and take the game over. If needed possibly come in in a high leverage situation early and ride for a couple innings.

He could work out very well in that role.
bearkatag15
AG

We face the white Sox next weekend. Huge blow to their lineup.
tjack16
AG
Ideally Javier keeps doing what he's doing. Paredes and Taylor keep looking solid, Stanek and Pressly prove they can shut it down in the 8th and 9th. Going into a playoff series that gives you 5 go to bullpen arms, and mix in Raley if you need someone to eat up an inning.

With LMJ coming back, that's a 12 person pitching staff that's really solid. The 13th spot can go to whoever is the hottest at the time.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

If that makes any sense.

This reminds me of the argument made during the steroid era..."you still have to be able to hit it."

Sure, but even when you make a mistake and the ball breaks 3 inches more than it's supposed to the batter could end up hitting a popup or smashing it into the ground
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Well said

And honestly I really like Javier in the role he played last night.

A solid middle relief guy who can come in and take the game over. If needed possibly come in in a high leverage situation early and ride for a couple innings.

He could work out very well in that role.
That is not too dissimilar to how RC and other college baseball coaches use some of their best bullpen arms. They bring them in the end multi-inning games or use them to high leverage situations even if its not the 8th or 9th.
W
AG
tough injury for Madrigal and the White Sox.

he is/was a contender at 2B to make the all-star game

CoachRTM
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Fiers is still trying to pull those underage girls

How does this stuff not blow up on him? This is as bad as anything Deshaun Watson did.
First Page Last Page
Page 527 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.