***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,833,105 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
gif
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906
AG
That is one serious reach.
spadilly
S
Let's go get the trophy.
astros4545
AG
MaxPower said:

Sigh
You can talk all you want about the reporters that dont want the Astros to win, and the reporters who dont like them

Jon Heyman has been actively hating them since long before our winning started...This is the least credible guy when it comes to unbiased reporting and the Astros
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Farmer1906
AG
I know Lindor is good. He's such a fun guy to watch. I'm just blown away someone is going to give him 34 M a year for 10 years.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Enjoy those state income taxes Frankie
Ag_07
AG
Alright...I expect a Correa deal to happen.

He needed Lindor to sign. No way he was going first.

And weren't they at a stalemate just a couple hours ago? Don't listen to anything these media hacks say.
irish pete ag06
AG
Here.
maca1028
22 hours 41 minutes 9 seconds
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Here.

You're alive!
TexAgs1992
The talk about not discussing a contract during the season is nothing more than player and front office speak. If the Astros offer Correa an 8 year deal worth $200 million after this weekend, guess who's signing that deal?
Harry Dunne
Ag_07 said:

Alright...I expect a Correa deal to happen.

He needed Lindor to sign. No way he was going first.

And weren't they at a stalemate just a couple hours ago? Don't listen to anything these media hacks say.
I'll bet that from Carlos' POV, the only difference between the two is that Lindor has stayed healthy. He probably sees that as a fluke rather than a pattern. So when Lindor gets 10/340, for Carlos to sign for 10/250 (2/3 of what Lindor is getting) is like conceding that he's going to continue to be hurt 1/3 of the time.
tjack16
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

The talk about not discussing a contract during the season is nothing more than player and front office speak. If the Astros offer Correa an 8 year deal worth $200 million after this weekend, guess who's signing that deal?

He's not signing that deal. It would need to be either longer than 8 years, or more than 25 MM per

He's going to get the Lindor type of deal. Either from us, or somebody else.

That's my feeling towards it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Carlos takes a 8/200 MM deal
irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Here.

You're alive!
I am. Good to see you, amigo.

Let's go win the whole thing.
Harry Dunne
TexAgs1992 said:

I hope they do and I hope you're right. Based on the Lindor deal I'd say that would be fair to both sides.

I really do think he'll hold out and try to play 155 games, win an MVP and go get 10/355 from NYY.
Buck Compton
AG
Let's do this thing. Go Stros.
Farmer1906
AG
It's like whoever signs Correa gets a built in discount if he's healthy. Remember, he's going to get paid for what you expect him to do, not what he's already down. If we expect Correa to stay relatively (his back is the only worrisome injury) then he's likely goi g to be worth 25 M a year easily.
Harry Dunne
No doubt. If Lindor is "worth" 34, then Correa is worth 25 as he has been and 35 when healthy.

I'm with you though, he's fun and a great fielder and a good hitter but I just can't believe that any .833 career OPS guy is worth that much money.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Farmer1906 said:

irish pete ag06 said:

Here.

You're alive!
I am. Good to see you, amigo.

Let's go win the whole thing.

tjack16
AG
The only difference between Lindor and Correa so far is health. And Carlos playoff numbers are enough to make up for that IMO.

Hate to say it but I think it'll take 10 years 300 MM to keep him. Not saying he's worth that, but given what Tatis and Lindor just got ... that's what the going rate for an all star young shortstop is in 2021.

If he thought 20 MM per for 6 years was "really low", then I think he's looking towards 30 mil per
Mathguy64
AG
I'm just floored that anyone thinks 10/340 is good money. The Mets better win.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

The only difference between Lindor and Correa so far is health. And Carlos playoff numbers are enough to make up for that IMO.

Hate to say it but I think it'll take 10 years 300 MM to keep him. Not saying he's worth that, but given what Tatis and Lindor just got ... that's what the going rate for an all star young shortstop is in 2021.

About 5 inches and health separates them. I mentioned this before but Lindor is consistently good. Correa swings from average to much better than good. I don't think it's really going out on a limb to say Correa's next 10 years > Lindor's. But Correa won't sniff 34 M a year unless it's a 2 year deal.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

About 5 inches and health separates them. I mentioned this before but Lindor is consistently good. Correa swings from average to much better than good. I don't think it's really going out on a limb to say Correa's next 10 years > Lindor's. But Correa won't sniff 34 M a year unless it's a 2 year deal.

I could see Carlos compromising for 10 years 280 MM. but I think he knows there are teams out there willing to pay up 30 MM+ per year and perhaps "over pay" for him.

I'm not saying he's worth 34 million per year, but just saying it's looking like north of 28-30 is the going rate for young star shortstops.
Ag_07
AG
My point is Correa knows he's not getting what Lindor got so he was never going to sign first.

He wasn't going to lower the bar for Lindor and was waiting for Lindor to raise it for him.
Ag_07
AG
Also it may be in the nest interest for Carlos to sign a 10/280 deal with us now because if he gets hurt or has a ho-hum year then his price drops.

Lindor had the durability as leverage to hit the open market.
Farmer1906
AG
The more I think about it, the more I believe if we want to get a deal done this year, Yuli & Diaz might need to hit the trade block. Those two would free up 10 M in luxury cap space. Carlos is making 11.7 this year. We could give Carlos 10/238 and stay under the cap, I think. I've had a couple bourbons so my math may be off.

10/238 would represent the largest contract the Astros have ever given out. It would make his AAV > Bregman and his total money way more than Altuve. That matters in the clubhouse. It's not Lindor money, but I've already discussed that money is ludicrous.

Say the extension doesn't happen, who's got the money to sign Correa? Eliminate the small market teams. Eliminate Boston(Bo), New York Mets(Lindor), Los Angels Dodgers (assume they spend on Seager), Washington (Turner) & Philly(Didi). New York would need to trade Torres to make a spot (DJ at 2nd) but that's possible. The Cubs would make some sense, but they could keep Baez cheaper. St Louis is probably too strapped for cash with Arenado & Goldschimdt. Atlanta has to pay Acuna. Who am I missing? Edit: Maybe San Fran. Are they ready to contend again?
Beat40
irish pete ag06 said:

Here.

Good to see you get in here, Pete!
Farmer1906
AG
On a non Correa note. This is terrible. What are they thinking?

BCSGrubber
AG
Farmer1906 said:

On a non Correa note. This is terrible. What are they thinking?

Who knew signing George would have such an impact?
spadilly
S
Do the Blue Jays know where they are playing this season?

Found it:
" The Toronto Blue Jays will play regular season home games at their spring training ballpark in Dunedin, Florida, through at least the first two months of the season. Last month the club announced they will play their first two homestands in Florida. On Tuesday, they announced they will play their third homestand in Florida as well."
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-will-play-2021-home-games-in-florida-at-least-through-may-due-to-covid-restrictions/
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe if we want to get a deal done this year, Yuli & Diaz might need to hit the trade block. Those two would free up 10 M in luxury cap space. Carlos is making 11.7 this year. We could give Carlos 10/238 and stay under the cap, I think. I've had a couple bourbons so my math may be off.

10/238 would represent the largest contract the Astros have ever given out. It would make his AAV > Bregman and his total money way more than Altuve. That matters in the clubhouse. It's not Lindor money, but I've already discussed that money is ludicrous.

Say the extension doesn't happen, who's got the money to sign Correa? Eliminate the small market teams. Eliminate Boston(Bo), New York Mets(Lindor), Los Angels Dodgers (assume they spend on Seager), Washington (Turner) & Philly(Didi). New York would need to trade Torres to make a spot (DJ at 2nd) but that's possible. The Cubs would make some sense, but they could keep Baez cheaper. St Louis is probably too strapped for cash with Arenado & Goldschimdt. Atlanta has to pay Acuna. Who am I missing? Edit: Maybe San Fran. Are they ready to contend again?

10 years is too much of a risk IMHO. I'm still holding out hope that they can get something like 8/200 done.
spadilly
S
"Baseball was, is, and always will be the best game in the world to me." - Babe Ruth

Happy Opening Day, fellas!
The Milkman
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I could see Carlos compromising for 10 years 280 MM. but I think he knows there are teams out there willing to pay up 30 MM+ per year and perhaps "over pay" for him.

I'm not saying he's worth 34 million per year, but just saying it's looking like north of 28-30 is the going rate for young star shortstops.

My thought though is who is going to give Carlos that kind of money? There's really not many teams that have the ability or willingness to drop that kind of money that also need a SS.

Phillies, Angels, Giants, St Louis... that's about it?
Aggie Pharmer
AG
In!
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.