***Official Houston Astros 2021 Season Thread***

3,835,650 Views | 73542 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the 'stros will offer JV a 1-year deal
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Give him a QO in the offseason, let him prove himself.
Farmer1906
AG

I read this as, I'll risk coming back early without a contract if I have a shot to help us get to and/or play in the WS.
tjack16
AG
W said:

I think the 'stros will offer JV a 1-year deal

I'd be 100% on board with that. 1 year 15-20 MM or I'd even risk a 2 year deal on him. It would mean we don't retain Greinke though most likely
Farmer1906
AG
If JV comes back and pitches well out of the pen and then showcases himself in front of teams in say Dec/Jan. Then I would expect he'll get an offer better than the QO or 1year 15-20 M.

With Crane already getting burned for 66 M for 1 start (maybe a postseason appearance or two) I cannot see him making any kind of offer until JV shows he's back.

I would 100% roll the dice on the potential of JV being ace like than resigning ZG. ZG is what he is. Future HOFer, yes, but he's more of a crafty vet who is better than most starters, but he'll never be the ace or the guy you want starting game 1 in the postseason anymore.
n_touch
Did he get burned or was there insurance money on that contract?
Bulldog73
AG
I would strongly suspect that there's insurance, but I don't expect that was cheap either. Obviously, a lot cheaper than 66M, but still hefty.
Harry Dunne
wangus12 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Glad he's really held onto those Aggie core values. If it hits somebody tonight, I hope Alvarez pipes one back up the middle into his ribcage.
LOL @ Aggie core values.

But I guess you could make an argument that he is Not tolerating those who cheat? That's probably the way he sees it anyway.
Farmer1906
AG
True bro love

EastCoastAgNc
AG

For those of you going...
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Thru 6 starts LMJ is sporting a 3.58 ERA, 1.163 WHIP, and about 5-1/3 IP per start.

If you could, would you lock that in for the rest of the year? No better, no worse.
Deluxe
AG
I don't think Crane and JV have any sort of strained relationship after the last two seasons. Crane knows injuries like JV's are part of the cost of doing business and guessing he had insurance to help cover the loss. If anything, it sounds like the two have a good relationship. JV plays with Crane in the Waste Management Pro Am every year.

The decision to retain JV next year seems like a no brainer in my opinion, granted I'm probably more bullish than most on his ability to comeback strong. I see JV as being akin to Brady in terms of his fitness and commitment to longevity. He's also a master tactician and ultra ultra competitive. So to the extent he's lost anything stuff-wise the past year, he will still be effective.

If people are looking to sell their JV stock, I'm a happy buyer. I already own a controlling interest in Lu-Ace Garcia Inc. and would love to add to my portfolio.

I also think there's good business value in keeping JV around. He's a good veteran presence in the clubhouse. There's going to be a couple sentences about the Astros on his HOF plaque and his Astros tenure as a percentage of his HOF career is growing. He needs to retire as an Astro.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Thru 6 starts LMJ is sporting a 3.58 ERA, 1.163 WHIP, and about 5-1/3 IP per start.

If you could, would you lock that in for the rest of the year? No better, no worse.
My heart says no but my brain says maybe.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That is a little over 2 runs allowed per start, or close to it? (mathguy can check my work)

I would take that
MaxPower
I've got my Springer thumbs up shirt on tonight. I know he's not playing but man I miss that guy.
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

That is a little over 2 runs allowed per start, or close to it? (mathguy can check my work)

I would take that

2.12 over 5 1/3
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

My heart says no but my brain says maybe.
I asked it because I thought it would be tough to answer. He's actually overperformed from his expected numbers (no one freak out!). He's been hit harder than ever this year. He's also giving up more walks than ever. Buuuut I think that walk # will go down. I think his 6 starts are heavily weighted down by the start he made under the weather. I don't think he'll keep his 6 IP & 2.17 ERA from those games, but it gives you a realistic ceiling. I also think he'll get his walk number down to around 8-9%(what he averaged '17-'20) from 13% it's been this year. That should balance his increased hits he'll give up (he won't keep an opposing BA of .172). I say all that to say I think he'll go deeper in games and there is a good enough chance he'll improve that I am willing to take it.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe
AG
Gimme that Springer tribute video
AgDoc03
AG
Farmer1906 said:

True bro love

George with no mask. Trying to sabotage us!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Harry Dunne said:

wangus12 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Glad he's really held onto those Aggie core values. If it hits somebody tonight, I hope Alvarez pipes one back up the middle into his ribcage.
LOL @ Aggie core values.

But I guess you could make an argument that he is Not tolerating those who cheat? That's probably the way he sees it anyway.
Or maybe just planting the idea in the hitters heads so they may be a little wary of digging in. Anyways Ross, I hope we rope you tonight.
Frok
AG
Man I miss Springer
W
AG
Urquidy has the "A" lineup behind him tonight
bearkatag15
AG
Pregame show just spent a minute or 2 pumping up the A&M baseball program
MosesHallRAB04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Just said A&M was one of the best programs in the country. You know how I know he doesn't watch college baseball?
bearkatag15
AG

DVC2010
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

bearkatag15 said:

Just said A&M was one of the best programs in the country. You know how I know he doesn't watch college baseball?

I started this, but I don't like it.
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

bearkatag15 said:

We kind of are. Not the greatest season but we've been consistently good and have a ton of players regularly drafted.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

bearkatag15 said:

We kind of are. Not the greatest season but we've been consistently good and have a ton of players regularly drafted.

Not arguing there. Especially pitchers. But this year has been less than ideal
bearkatag15
AG

Lol that's just sad
Frok
AG
ADS

Altuve deranged syndrome
Johnsy3
AG

Looks like he's close to breaking out of that slump
First Page Last Page
Page 259 of 2102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.