*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

408,966 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CoachRTM said:

I have a bad feeling that we're on the back side of Altuve's bell curve. He's got some holes in his swing that teams have found. Hope I'm wrong.

For the record, Altuve's C game is still better than most 2B in the league.

So it just took everyone 8 years?
No, but it's not like his strengths and weaknesses hold steady over time. Very different than 8 years ago.

Again, I'm not ragging on Altuve - I think he'll be a + player for us this year and in the next couple..... my opinion is just that we've already seen "peak" Altuve and it's going to go down from here.
agproducer
AG
For those waiting to watch the tape delayed game, be warned. The Astros haven't done much.
Farmer1906
AG
He's 30 so his prime should be ending in the next couple years. His peak was 2017.

He's probably not going to have an 150-160 wRC+ seasons like he did in 16-17, but I expect we'll see much more similar to 14-15 or 18-19 levels (124-139 wRC+) and not 20 (77 wRC+). At least for another year or two.

Speed wise, he should be seeing a decrease with age which will eliminate some infield hits for him, but he's kept his speed for the most part. He's aging well there even with a leg injury a couple years ago. Plus he's introduced more slugging and walks. At that points to him again well IMO.
agproducer
AG
Twice in the past two innings the Astros have had runners 1st and 2nd, no outs and they couldn't plate anyone. How frustrating. Thank goodness it is Spring Training.
Mathguy64
AG
Last year was weird. His wRC+ was 77 in the craptastic 48 game he played in the regular season but 235 in the 13 games of the postseason.

However he made up for it by getting Steve Sax disease. Two steps forward, one back.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
It makes me wanna puke seeing him in another uniform and I'd just as well not see him or talk about him until the Blue Jays play the Astros.

Ag_07
AG

We all miss George and wish him the best but this isn't a Blue Jays thread.

Time to move on
CoachRTM
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I mean, that's a pretty badass image. Going to be easy to root for the Blue Jays to take down the Red Sox/Yankees/ Rays.
Farmer1906
AG
Problem is they're going to have to do it with Ryu, Pearson, Strippling, Ray, & Roark. After Ryu its not exactly a who's who.
MaxPower
Altuve needs to decide if he's a power hitter or batting average hitter. I think he's better off focusing on being .320 Altuve rather than 25 HR Altuve.
Farmer1906
AG
In seasons when Altuve hit 20+ HR he averaged .298, .338 (batting title), & .346 (batting title).
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

Altuve needs to decide if he's a power hitter or batting average hitter. I think he's better off focusing on being .320 Altuve rather than 25 HR Altuve.

Power hitting Altuve sent us to the World Series in 2019

But I agree I'd take a higher batting average from him. Especially given last season
Ag_07
AG
Altuve needs to just concentrate on putting the bat on the ball.

IIRC his swing and miss rate was atrocious. He wasn't swinging at bad pitches but just straight up missing strikes.

I think he'll bounce back especially hearing Dusty's comments about his struggles last year.
MaxPower
My concern is he can't do both anymore. He needs to focus on hitting for average. If power comes with it so be it but his K rate increases the last 5 years are indicative of a man focusing on cranks rather than putting the wood in the ball.
Farmer1906
AG
But why? I would 100% take his 2019 season where he slugged 31 HR and batted sub .300 over the early years when he hit well over 300 but his slugging was 100 points lower. When he's at his best he's doing both. I don't think we have to chose. They'll both decline with age most likely.
MaxPower
I'm willing to make a wager he doesn't hit 30 again. I'd be interested to see whether another player in the statcast era has hit more than 30 HR in a season with a below league average exit velocity. Seems unlikely.
Farmer1906
AG
Probably so, but he can still be an above avg slugger without dropping 30 bombs. Look at his spray chart. It's a bunch of pull jobs.

Farmer1906
AG
Quick pulse of the fandom on here. Not try to turn this forum 16. With the mask and capacity restrictions no longer coming from the governor's office and others looking to open at 100% (Kyle Field, Arlington) would you attend a full capacity game when the season starts? Clearly the reactions on social media are "Freeeeeedom!!!" Vs "you're killing us all!!!" But I think we're mature enough to not take it there.

CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

would you attend a full capacity game when the season starts?
Yes, absolutely.

Edit to add for context: I have already had both doses of Moderna
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quick pulse of the fandom on here. Not try to turn this forum 16. With the mask and capacity restrictions no longer coming from the governor's office and others looking to open at 100% (Kyle Field, Arlington) would you attend a full capacity game when the season starts? Clearly the reactions on social media are "Freeeeeedom!!!" Vs "you're killing us all!!!" But I think we're mature enough to not take it there.

I'm all for people doing their own thing, but I'm something of a germaphobe. I don't mind the mask, and I really like the fist bump over a full handshake. I'd even go all in on adopting the Japanese bow and eliminate salutation contact all together. That's just me.

All that to say that I'm probably an outlier on the whole mask thing. I'm not a Karen, you do you, but I haven't been complaining about the mask mandate at all. For sure I am in favor of opening things up. Let people that want to go, go. Stay home if you don't feel comfortable. I'd go but would wear my mask and probably wouldn't sit in a packed section. I'd be in the upper Zone corner at Kyle, for example, with no mask if sparsely populated.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mathguy64
AG
I have parents both at 80. We would typically attend several games a year. They both got their second shots last week. My wife had her first but the second gor snowed out. I have not heard squat about my first. Probably I would not attend until (a) I get at least a first shot and I would not take Mom and Dad until the majority of folks have gotten one.

I only have one of each of them.
agproducer
AG
I can see both sides of the debate, and my wife and I were talking about this last night. She said, "Well, you can go to Opening Day now." I told her that joining a big crowd doesn't seem like a great idea right now. I think later this summer when vaccination rates are higher would be best.

TLDR, I plan on waiting a bit.
Poke_the_Bear
AG
My guess is they stick with 25% capacity to start. Maybe by All star break be at 100%
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I only have one of each of them.

Amen. My mom contracted the virus two weeks ago. She had an antibody infusion almost immediately after testing positive, and has done very well. She's 76 and suffers from asthma induced by seasonal allergies. Interestingly, she had the first vaccine shot several days prior to testing positive. Not sure what that means for finishing the course, but she is doing well today.

I would not take her into any stationary crowd. Those days are likely over for her. Church would be the closest thing to that, and even there we can spread out a bit.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
n_touch
Won't it still be up to what the county allows them to do?
spadilly
S
Farmer1906 said:

Absolutely. I got the second dose yesterday, so I'll be there, even if masks are required. I would, however, try to socially distance the best I could, and would probably stick to midweek games (except the Blue Jays series...I'd love to be there that Friday night to see Springer's return).
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

Won't it still be up to what the county allows them to do?
I had questioned this too. I know Abbott's last order had capacity restrictions on sporting venues, but even if he opens them up 100% I wonder if MLB can tell the Astros not to have more than X%
07ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

yes, but only because i'm fully vaccinated
https://ts.la/eric59704
n_touch
Didn't even consider MLB getting into it to try and level the playing field by keeping all of the ball parks the same so one team does not have a "true" home team advantage.
CFTXAG10
AG
n_touch said:

Didn't even consider MLB getting into it to try and level the playing field by keeping all of the ball parks the same so one team does not have a "true" home team advantage.
Yea, which is tough, because then you are messing with team revenue....
Buck Compton
AG
I'd be there tomorrow at full capacity. Already had the virus.m

My wife and I also meet exactly zero of the high-risk categories and rarely have close contact with anyone who does, so that's colored my judgement throughout this.
WES2006AG
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I will be attending games at MMP and Kyle Field this year but I am now fully vaccinated. I would probably be hesitant to go to a sold out game with no mask mandate if I weren't vaccinated but I am in a higher risk category.
CoachRTM
AG
I won't attend any sporting events until I get vaccinated. I'm pretty much last on the list (healthy, 34, already had it, zero side effects), so we'll see how long that takes. I also will feel much better once everyone has a reasonable opportunity to receive the vaccine. I don't want to put someone at risk who wants the shot but hasn't had the opportunity to do so.

In terms of masks, I think they're mostly useless, but my wife and I will probably be wearing them until everyone has the opportunity to get the vaccine. Whether or not they work, I think it helps people feel more comfortable, and it's the least we can do. They're not uncomfortable, and it doesn't really bother me except in the heat of summer outdoors.
bluefire579
AG
I'll probably wait until there's a higher vaccination percentage in the state, and until all of my older family members have been vaccinated (image the two will overlap pretty easily)
First Page Last Page
Page 95 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.