*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

405,360 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McCullers had an ERA of 2.80 if you erase his one Arizona start (which shouldnt count because Kole Calhoun kills the Astros)

Not sure why McCullers gets so much bullpen talk...at least without another year ending injury.
He was healthy all of last year (60 innings) was he not?
CFTXAG10
AG
Alright, I am convinced. Straw is an everyday CF starter.
astros4545
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Alright, I am convinced. Straw is an everyday CF starter.
CFTXAG10
AG
This tweet from Lance got me thinking about the pending Abbott announcement. Wonder if capacity at MMP will go up as well. Maybe 50% or greater to start the season?

zgood10
AG
Tucker fidna mash
bearkatag15
AG
Castro with an RBI single. good start for him
Harry Dunne
I glanced at the box score & saw S. Manea in the ninth spot.

Had a moment of euphoria when I thought somehow maybe we picked up Sean Manea without me hearing about it.

No such luck. It's a C we got in the JD Davis trade. Looks like he has a bit of pop for a C. Real unfortunate for a 24-25-year-old guy to lose a year of development last season. If his career progression continued and he had a another solid year at AA last year you could be looking at our 2021 AAA starting catcher with a chance to get called up this season.

Both those things can still happen, but as we stand here today he is an old (25) prospect who has not yet played AA ball.
spadilly
S
For those asking, I have used the Pro baseball radio app in the past to listen to games on my phone.
It's usually about 45-60 seconds delayed, but great when I go out for a run or when I'm not following a game on social media/TA.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pro-baseball-live-radio-stream/id1131246043

astros4545
AG
spadilly said:

For those asking, I have used the Pro baseball radio app in the past to listen to games on my phone.
It's usually about 45-60 seconds delayed, but great when I go out for a run or when I'm not following a game on social media/TA.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pro-baseball-live-radio-stream/
Is that a free app?

I usually use the MLB At bat app for $2.99 a month for radio only
CFTXAG10
AG
The ST games aren't blacked out on the iHeart radio app (free) like they usually are during the season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agdaddy04
AG
They've announced in Colorado they're planning on 100% at Rockies games. Although we know they won't get that.
spadilly
S
Yeah, it was free when I downloaded it a few years ago. I assume MLB will eventually shut it down though.
spadilly
S
agdaddy04 said:

They've announced in Colorado they're planning on 100% at Rockies games. Although we know they won't get that.

I just checked and they are out of town the weekend A&M plays Colorado in Denver.
Coors Field is a fantastic stadium.
redline248
AG
I don't think Lance sounds whiny, but I also don't think his openness helps his cause. He's obviously confident in himself, but I think by putting his cards on the table - especially the thing about getting a deal before the season - he is putting himself in a bad spot when it doesn't happen. I don't know if he can compartmentalize it as "just business," the way Correa appears capable of doing based on his comments earlier. I hope he can, but we all know Lance is a fiery guy.
Big Al 1992
AG
Everybody knows it...

cap-n-jack
Even union protected how does that guy even still have a job?
Ag_07
AG
I'll be honest...He's awful but that call was pretty borderline and could've gone either way. Looks to me like that's a pretty egregious frame job by the catcher
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
dshedd41
S
Farmer1906
AG
That is an interesting lineup.
Ag_07
AG
Looks like Dusty is letting his grandkids make the lineups.
n_touch
Might as well let Grienke DH here and there to get his stats
Marvin
AG
Dan Shedd said:

Get a couple of quick AB's and hit the showers.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
I wonder what it will take to sign Odorizzi. He's a serviceable enough guy who can eat up 100+ innings in the back end of our rotation. If you give him a 2-year deal then it'll help negate the losses of Greinke & McCullers (from a pure inning needed). He's got that Rays connection that Click loves too.
Deluxe
AG
It's an interesting idea. Doesn't sound like his injury last year should effect him much this year. Maybe he's asking for a contract based on his 2019 production and having trouble finding a taker. If that's the case, doubtful we'll be in on it.

There's a ton of ways to view our starting pitching outlook for 2021 and beyond. IMO there's too many hypotheticals right now to make a commitment to a guy like Odorizzi for $10 mil in 2022. I see your point about rolling him into the rotation now as the LMJ replacement and get the services of both for a year. Kinda like how we acquired Greinke to be Cole's replacement but had both rostered for 2H19. It's certainly not a bad idea idea.

My personal feeling right now is that we're intent on opening the season with a Greinke/LMJ/Framber/Urquidy/Javier rotation and have too many guys we want to audition this year to justify spending on another starter arm. Garcia, Abreu, Whitley and Pruitt will probably all get looks this year. Not to mention Stanek will probably start some games too. Then we re-assess at the all star break.

I still think JV will be back next year as the LMJ replacement. Then we keep Greinke if he's willing to stay for cheap or bring in a Rich Hill type on a one year deal. From there, it all just depends on how the young guys perform.

If Odorizzi's market doesn't develop, I could see him taking a one year deal and we'd get another shot at him next offseason if we really need another starter.
bearkatag15
AG

Yeah you can stay on that AAA squad.
Marvin
AG
Cishek is throwing melons today in Grapefruit action. Yikes.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Deluxe
AG
Hmmmmm. I hope it's one of those deals where we told him to work on something and he's not able to execute it live yet.
Farmer1906
AG
He's in a tough spot where he needs to make the team still. This ain't a good look, but NEVER look too much into ST stats. They mean very little.
Farmer1906
AG
Now let me talk out of the other side of my mouth. Souza went yard. I would love for him to push for a starting spot. We need a legit 2nd option if Straw doesn't hit. It's not ideal to have Kyle in CF, but the offense of Souza could make up for it. If we have an 8 or 9 hole guy with 350+ obp & 450+ slg (2017 #s) it won't be fair.
Farmer1906
AG
Apparently he's changed his arm slot significantly.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Now let me talk out of the other side of my mouth. Souza went yard. I would love for him to push for a starting spot. We need a legit 2nd option if Straw doesn't hit. It's not ideal to have Kyle in CF, but the offense of Souza could make up for it. If we have an 8 or 9 hole guy with 350+ obp & 450+ slg (2017 #s) it won't be fair.

Gimme
CFTXAG10
AG
9th inning 4-run rally to tie it up
First Page Last Page
Page 93 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.