*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

404,860 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

if a Multi-Year Contract is signed after Opening Day of the championship season,

What does that part mean?

Think that's lawyer talk for regular season.
Farmer1906
AG
Love this attitude.

Farmer1906
AG
Tuve in on the help too.

Farmer1906
AG
I love our young guns

Deluxe
AG
Garcia and Abreu. Gimme.
Ag_07
AG
Crazy how quick the pitching situation changed.

Prior to 2020 I had thought our organizational pitching depth was awful.

Not so much anymore
spadilly
S
Need to get me a custom Storm jersey..
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Crazy how quick the pitching situation changed.

Prior to 2020 I had thought our organizational pitching depth was awful.

Not so much anymore
Yup. I'd much rather have cheap young pitchers and spend my free agent and extension money on hitters. Verlander reiterated it doesn't matter how durable a pitcher has been, it's almost inevitable they suffer a significant injury at some point.
redline248
AG
This one is for you, bearkat

tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

This one is for you, bearkat

They gave us Yordan, Scrubb and a nice shiny trophy. We gave them Tyler White and Josh Fields

Pretty even trade off right?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

tjack16
AG
Anybody have any insight on how attendance might be this year? Especially the season tickets or secondary market
JABQ04
AG
Man I'm hoping to get to some games. We'll be in Baltimore when we play the Os and thought I would live to see the good guys play in Camden. As of now their website shows no in person attendance
tjack16
AG
JABQ04 said:

Man I'm hoping to get to some games. We'll be in Baltimore when we play the Os and thought I would live to see the good guys play in Camden. As of now their website shows no in person attendance

Dang ... I'm hoping that changes. If they could have 25% at the World Series, then I bet they will make adjustments as more vaccines roll out

I was hoping to make the trip to San Fran for that series but I doubt that will happen now
Farmer1906
AG

LFG indeed.
Farmer1906
AG
Tag takes a stab at his 26 man

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-2021-opening-day-roster-prediction

I think most positions are known. He has Souza in the OF and the bullpen with Pressly, Baez, Paredes, Smith, Stanek, Cishek, Raley, & Taylor.
Deluxe
AG
Kinda wish we had an elite bullpen arm but love that we're so solid from top to bottom. Lots of ability to play matchups. Reminds me of the team that Click came from.

Also telling to see the quality arms that didn't make the list. Reinforcements are abundant. Should be a great competition this spring.

Scrubb
Pruitt
Abreu
Garcia
Whitley/Solomon/Solis too
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Tag takes a stab at his 26 man

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-2021-opening-day-roster-prediction

I think most positions are known. He has Souza in the OF and the bullpen with Pressly, Baez, Paredes, Smith, Stanek, Cishek, Raley, & Taylor.

Crazy that Scrubb and Garcia might not make it. But I'm guessing they will get called up at some point just due to normal wear and tear or hopefully limited injuries
Farmer1906
AG
Reminder on why Scrubb is likely the odd man out even though he sported a 1.90 ERA last year and has a curveball that drops about as much as anyone in baseball (#5 in vert movement last year), he finished in the 1% of BB%. He's almost a lock to walk someone every inning. He gets that cleaned up without taking much a dip in everything else and he's elite.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe
AG
Interesting topic re: giving JV a QO after this year. That might be reasonable for both sides.

Hard to imagine Greinke getting a QO but I guess we'll see how he does this year.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

The team is going to be in a tough spot, even if they stay under the luxury tax threshold this year. If we don't sign Correa then this team is looking at a payroll around $100 million with a lot of holes. That screams "sign free agents". However, signing a free agent with a qualifying offer will cost a draft pick. That should make resigning Correa a priority but who knows what he gets offered if he hits the market.

I also don't see a Brantley equivalent who is very good but doesn't get a QO. Maybe Belt, though Giants have been aggressive handing out QO's. D'Arnaud and Perez at catcher and Gausman, Gray and lynn at SP are the most likely candidates, which are hardly high impact type signings.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

The team is going to be in a tough spot, even if they stay under the luxury tax threshold this year. If we don't sign Correa then this team is looking at a payroll around $100 million with a lot of holes. That screams "sign free agents". However, signing a free agent with a qualifying offer will cost a draft pick. That should make resigning Correa a priority but who knows what he gets offered if he hits the market.

I also don't see a Brantley equivalent who is very good but doesn't get a QO. Maybe Belt, though Giants have been aggressive handing out QO's. D'Arnaud and Perez at catcher and Gausman, Gray and lynn at SP are the most likely candidates, which are hardly high impact type signings.
A lot of holes?

2 rotation spots unless another young guy fills one
SS - tons of great options with or without Correa
1B - Maybe. Depends on what Yuli has left in the tank
CF - Depends on how it plays out this year
C - I'd argue no with Castro signed

Some holes, sure, but I think our payroll will be closed to 75 M. That would mean 135 M to spend to hit the luxury tax next year.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Interesting topic re: giving JV a QO after this year. That might be reasonable for both sides.

Hard to imagine Greinke getting a QO but I guess we'll see how he does this year.
If we could get JV, Greinke, & Correa to turn down the QA then we'd be flushed with picks.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

If we could get JV, Greinke, & Correa to turn down the QA then we'd be flushed with picks.
Unless we sign them....which I would prefer
Ag_07
AG
Man I would think JV would jump all over the QO.

He's be able to make $18-19 mil, get a chance to prove himself coming off injury, and stay in Houston on what should be a playoff team.

Could benefit the team by getting another year of JV without long term commitment.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

I think Grienke is likely to retire. If he does, no pick compensation for a QO.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

I think Grienke is likely to retire. If he does, no pick compensation for a QO.

What gives you that idea?
Farmer1906
AG
When did this happen. I don't remember him at A&M like this.

Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

When did this happen. I don't remember him at A&M like this.

For comparison:

Deluxe
AG
Gimme all the unorthodox
Farmer1906
AG

We're going to hit so many dingers.
Farmer1906
AG
YIPS

Farmer1906
AG

Good landing spot for him.
First Page Last Page
Page 86 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.