*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,511 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or baseball has too many damn rules that having been in flux lately.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16
AG

He's going to be a star for us
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

He has maybe 70 innings across AA & AAA. Obviously none last year with no minors. With all the guys we went to ahead of him, shows he was no where close last year. Maybe things will be different if he has a strong spring and start to the minor league season. He is still just 23. He is still highly regarded. With the amount of solid young guys I think we can afford to wait and see a little longer.

Hard to flat say they were just flat ahead of him....he had an injury and was shut down.
YNWA_AG
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

He has maybe 70 innings across AA & AAA. Obviously none last year with no minors. With all the guys we went to ahead of him, shows he was no where close last year. Maybe things will be different if he has a strong spring and start to the minor league season. He is still just 23. He is still highly regarded. With the amount of solid young guys I think we can afford to wait and see a little longer.

Hard to flat say they were just flat ahead of him....he had an injury and was shut down.

Oh yeah. That is true. But the Injury came a little later. He missed out on making the expanded roster.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

It kinda sucks that two of our best prospects right now (Pena and Nova) play positions that are already occupied, assuming we retain Correa. Kinda hope we give one of them an OF glove this spring and see if they can earn some PT with the big club.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

It kinda sucks that two of our best prospects right now (Pena and Nova) play positions that are already occupied, assuming we retain Correa. Kinda hope we give one of them an OF glove this spring and see if they can earn some PT with the big club.

I'm wondering if we start working Pena at 1B. Either that or RF/LF. I know hes only 6', but 1st base is evolving and you really don't need somebody super tall playing that position. Yuli is only 6' as well
k20dub
AG
Marvin
AG
k20dub said:

I don't know why this bummed me out, but it did. I simply cannot believe Click is going into the season with this outfield. Something has to be in the works...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

I'm wondering if we start working Pena at 1B. Either that or RF/LF. I know hes only 6', but 1st base is evolving and you really don't need somebody super tall playing that position. Yuli is only 6' as well
I suspect Jones is the heir apparent to Yuli at 1B.
Farmer1906
AG
Basically a 1 year, 2 M deal.

W
AG
now that looks like a COVID deal...

or we-noticed-your-best-season-at-the-plate was 2017 with the can
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

Agreed. We need competition/options at 1B going forward.

And if Nova or Pena prove they can play multiple infield positions at the big league level, they could takeover our flex reserve role and give us an opportunity to flip Diaz for a prospect or two.
MaxPower
I'm more concerned with whether Altuve is gonna need to move to LF at some point if those yips don't go away.
Mathguy64
AG
MaxPower said:

I'm more concerned with whether Altuve is gonna need to move to LF at some point if those yips don't go away.
We will know one way or the other in short order. If he still has them we have a major problem. Frankly I'm not sure what they would do. LF isn't an option this year. RF isn't either. Maybe CF?
Farmer1906
AG
Stop it.

Altuve will be just fine.
Marvin
AG
ESPN posted their list of top 100 prospects heading into 2021. It's paywalled, but if you're looking for an Astro you won't be missing anything... not a single one.

tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

ESPN posted their list of top 100 prospects heading into 2021. It's paywalled, but if you're looking for an Astro you won't be missing anything... not a single one.

I'm guessing they are out on Whitley

However. I think we will have at least 3-4 at the beginning on next year. Pena, Leon, Nova and Korey Lee.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

I suspect Jones is the heir apparent to Yuli at 1B.
Didn't we sign (or were about to sign) another Cuban who can play first base? I think he is a lefty hitter if I remember correctly.
TRM
AG
I don't think he signs until next year.
MaxPower
tjack16 said:

Marvin said:

I'm guessing they are out on Whitley

However. I think we will have at least 3-4 at the beginning on next year. Pena, Leon, Nova and Korey Lee.
I'm not high on Lee but 3 is possible (with the reemergence of Whitley being possible). The missed 2020 season probably hurt Whitley more than any of our other players, coming off a bad, injury plagued season and being at an age where you expect him to be major league ready now.
bullard21k
AG
Whitley had arm issues last year which is concerning but we added him to 40 man obviously protecting him from rule 5.

I think this year and possibly next are sink or swim time. Either he figures it out and makes the club (in any capacity) or he is going to a perennial AAAA player.

Haven't seen any recent updates from him but I'm still holding out hope the kid puts it all together. We could use a plus arm rookie to eat some innings this year as a 5th/6th starter
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
n_touch
Dan Shedd said:

Sure are doing a really long All Star game, making up for last year?
maca1028
Did I miss something? Are we slated to play the NL West every year?!
Marvin
AG
First 4 are against the A's, and I bet we still don't see the snitch...
Marvin
AG
n_touch said:

Dan Shedd said:

Sure are doing a really long All Star game, making up for last year?

Edit: reading is hard... ignore this idiot.
Ag4life80
AG
Whitley hasn't proven himself at AAA. I wish he had, because if he had stayed on his projected big league debut, the Grienke trade would have never happened. Two years ago the question was whether he was going to start the season in Houston, or get the call up after the date that would cut a year from his contract status. He was a no-doubter at that time.
Mathguy64
AG
7 of first 9. And we won't see that sack of crap.
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64 said:

7 of first 9. And we won't see that sack of crap.
Hilariously perfect setup for him to avoid us

Grow a sack Oakland
tjack16
AG
He will pitch the game after they play us the first time
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
EastCoastAgNc
AG

First Page Last Page
Page 79 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.