*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,451 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not playing Straw on its own it's that they made no effort (or made one that didn't pan out and it's the same result) to replace George's production. They lost 40 plus HR and 100 RBI and swapped it for I'm guessing 6/25 while simultaneously giving up a chunk defensively. They were never going to make up George's production. But they could have mitigated the loss and didn't.
Harry Dunne
MaxPower said:

Harry Dunne said:

I agree 100%.

A lot of people making big judgments about Straw based on 82 ABs worth of baseball last year when he had been moved from CF to SS back to CF all while having barely played a half a season worth of major league baseball.

I'm not sure what happened last year, but the scouting report on him coming up was that he was a plus defender and early on he was used as a late-inning defensive replacement...and you obviously don't start games at both SS and CF for a 107-win team unless you have some serious tools.

I'm more worried about his hitting.
So basically what I said except maybe possibly he won't completely suck defensively? Ok, I still want something better. Surely you can find a guy who also sucks offensively but is at least already proven to be mediocre defensively for fairly cheap. Straw is not the long term answer anyway so, unlike Yuli, I see no point investing in his defensive development.
Not exactly. Straw will likely return to being a good defender, but I don't know if his bat is going to be good enough to be an everyday guy. There's no reason he can't be Willy Taveras, which I know isn't knocking anyone's socks off, but he was a solid everyday CF until injuries and age got him.

This is not fantasy baseball. You can't just say "this guy isn't the next George Springer!" and punt him. Not everyone can be Springer. You have to have cheap guys under team control. Especially now, having traded a bunch of cheap guys under team control over the past few years and not having a bunch of studs up next in the minors.

Not that projections are worth squat, but they are worth more than my guesses or feelings. Here they are:

• JBJ .237/.324/.413 - .737 OPS in 482 AB
  • Straw .243/.323/.373 - .696 OPS in 292 AB
  • Jake: .235/.298/.410 - .709 OPS in 251 AB

We all want something better, but how much better is JBJ than Jake/Straw?

Also you didn't just pay Pedro Leon to have aging JBJ clogging the lane for 3-4 years.

Harry Dunne
MaxPower said:

Ag_07 said:

Straws bat is not a concern to me because we won't be depending on him for anything. This lineup will be good enough for him to hit .220 at the bottom of the order.
Don't agree with that mentality. You don't just punt a position because you'll be good enough elsewhere. If you can upgrade from dogcrap to below average for a million or two you do it.
Can you really upgrade for a million or two?
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

It's not playing Straw on its own it's that they made no effort (or made one that didn't pan out and it's the same result) to replace George's production. They lost 40 plus HR and 100 RBI and swapped it for I'm guessing 6/25 while simultaneously giving up a chunk defensively. They were never going to make up George's production. But they could have mitigated the loss and didn't.
Come on man, be real! Do you really think they "made no effort"? You're acting like there's all this cash and they're being lazy and not spending it!

The club just isn't in a position now to spend a bunch of money to mitigate the loss and like I said, I'm sure they are lowballing the tar out of the guys still left out there.

It's duct tape and crossed fingers and hope that Leon moves through the minors quickly and pray that Altuve gets back to all-star form and grind through the business end of the Greinke and Verlander deals.
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mathguy64
AG
Yes I think they made no real effort. But not out of laziness. I agree with you. They are effectively maxed out on cash. They made no effort because there was no point.

Fortunately we play in the worst Division in baseball and the only real competition lost two big pieces at SS and RP. But this isn't a 100 game winner any more.
W
AG
yes, the 'stros are going to make up Springer's production by having 2019 Yordan and 2020 Tucker in the 2021 lineup together
W
AG
back to Bradley jr...apparently his agent, Scott Boras, is asking for a 4 or 5-year deal.

JBj turns 31 years old in April.

and as we saw with Reddick...the decline for a steroid-free player past the age of 30...can come quickly and dramatically
MaxPower
I think we are on the same page. I'm not advocating for JBJ. I'm advocating for a Jake type. IMO Jake is equally as bad offensively but proven to be a better defender. Ideally you'd get a left and right handed Jake for 1-2 million each and and Straw is a deep bench guy or AAA injury call up.
Ag_07
AG
MaxPower said:

Ag_07 said:

Straws bat is not a concern to me because we won't be depending on him for anything. This lineup will be good enough for him to hit .220 at the bottom of the order.
Don't agree with that mentality. You don't just punt a position because you'll be good enough elsewhere. If you can upgrade from dogcrap to below average for a million or two you do it.

I'm not saying I'm happy with Straw being the everyday CFer.

I'm saying I think it's a bad idea because I question his defensive ability.

I'd like an upgrade but not everyone on our team can be an AS. We're gonna have to have some role players. In the case of Straw we don't need him to be an offensive weapon. We need him to play a solid defensive CF.

I have doubts he can do that.
Harry Dunne
Mathguy64 said:

Yes I think they made no real effort. But not out of laziness. I agree with you. They are effectively maxed out on cash. They made no effort because there was no point.

Fortunately we play in the worst Division in baseball and the only real competition lost two big pieces at SS and RP. But this isn't a 100 game winner any more.
OK, sounds like we're on the same page. Your previous post sounded like you were complaining about them sitting on their hands

Probably not 100 game winner, but you never know. We still have plenty of talent.

If we aren't going to make the playoffs then JBJ is not enough to take that team and make them into a contender. If we ARE going to make the playoffs (which we still have a great shot to do even with some combination of Straw/Tucker/cheap pickup playing CF) and at the deadline we are one solid CF away from being a contender, it should be easier to make a smart move then that doesn't compromise our future by tying up more long-term money.
bearkatag15
AG

If Straw gets 60 stolen bases that would be incredible.
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

If Straw gets 60 stolen bases that would be incredible.
If he gets on base 60 times it would be incredible
Mathguy64
AG
Fangraphs projections average out to 26 SB but 7 CS on 120 games played.
Harry Dunne
Now that's funny.

But I'm telling you, he's the next Willy Taveras.
BCEDAg
AG
I like Straw especially from a base running standpoint but hopefully he can get on base enough to get those 60 stolen bases. Maybe he can bunt every at bay.
Big Al 1992
AG
Ag_07
AG
IIRC Straw is fast as shlt but he isn't a very good baserunner.

Between that and not getting on base that much there's no way he gets to 60.
MaxPower
Big Al 1992 said:

Its kind of interesting. He's waited so long he may have to decide between winning (Astros) and getting paid (Giants). Even if you get him at a discount (original projections were 2 years at $8 per), that gives us no wiggle room for other moves, including a Correa extension. It really only makes sense if you plan on trading someone like Greinke and replacing him with a cheaper option like Paxton.
W
AG
regarding Straw and 60 steals...

who will be batting behind him?

not sure he steals 60 from the 8-hole
Farmer1906
AG
It would make some sense because Castro and Machette aren't hitting for power. Get Straw to second and all of a sudden they can drive some runs in.
spadilly
S
Pedro Gomez passed away.

Beat40
Wow. That is a shock. So terribly sad for his family.
Ag_07
AG
Wow that's awful. Jeez
YZ250
whoops already posted
Marvin
AG
I'm close to his age. Enjoy every season... it might be your last.

Speaking of the season, football is officially out of the way. If the season is not pushed back a month, we are about 10 days out from players reporting and 20 days out from games starting up. Come on down, MLB, and don't screw this up!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Marvin
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

So 6 games each against the Mets, Cardinals, Marlins and Nationals. Would make for a great vacation given the close proximity... not counting pandemic restrictions, of course.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
AggieNiebs
AG
[This is not a political thread. -Staff]
EastCoastAgNc
AG
https://theathletic.com/2375121/

Story on the baseball and how it's changing for this year. TLDR: supposedly going to reduce slugging and number of homers.
Mathguy64
AG
I wish MLB would just leave the damn baseball alone. I can see it now. Mess with the ball early and reduce hitting and then get to the playoffs and make a new ball that flies like a missile.
Harry Dunne
Verlander picked the wrong year to be out with an injury. He could win 30 with a ball that doesn't leave the park.
Ag_07
AG
May also help with some of the young guys developing
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Verlander picked the wrong year to be out with an injury. He could win 30 with a ball that doesn't leave the park.
Might help Lance. When he struggled last year, he seemed to fall victim to homers and extra base hits.
tylhair
AG
Yordan becomes more valuable with a "deader" ball. His homer rate shouldn't diminish because he hits them all 20 rows deep.
First Page Last Page
Page 76 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.