*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

400,586 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would be nice to see an owner take a stand and refuse to let their players play in these events. Completely silly to punish Atlanta for something the State of Georgia decided to do. Perhaps Georgia should pass a law banning the All Star game from TVs. Let's see how long sports orgs want to push these agendas once the wallet is impacted.
TarponChaser
k20dub said:

MLB should tell those morons to pound sand. The All Star game stays in Atlanta. Don't play if you don't like it and if you opt out you forfeit any potential bonus from it.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

As a free agent though I'd definitely be more interested in having some minimum amount I want to get paid (maybe $250M in his case) and decide what team gives me the best chance to win, where do I want to setup home base, etc.

That's what a logical, middle class educated person like us thinks about.

I'm convinced that the vast majority of them look at none of those factors and just want the biggest payday. That's it.

Who will pay me the most?
Several comments I remember hearing and reading from Cole's FA process is how everyone roots for the guy to get paid the most they can. I remember hearing Cole say something to the effect that he felt a responsibility to get paid the most he could get for all the guys before him that did the same thing.

I think the MLBPA looks down on players taking less than they're worth too.

I really do think it's mainly about the money.

Given how he was treated by his fellow players and the MLBPA last year, I wish Correa would take less to stay in Houston and piss them all off even more.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Beat40 said:

Ag_07 said:

MaxPower said:

As a free agent though I'd definitely be more interested in having some minimum amount I want to get paid (maybe $250M in his case) and decide what team gives me the best chance to win, where do I want to setup home base, etc.

That's what a logical, middle class educated person like us thinks about.

I'm convinced that the vast majority of them look at none of those factors and just want the biggest payday. That's it.

Who will pay me the most?
Several comments I remember hearing and reading from Cole's FA process is how everyone roots for the guy to get paid the most they can. I remember hearing Cole say something to the effect that he felt a responsibility to get paid the most he could get for all the guys before him that did the same thing.

I think the MLBPA looks down on players taking less than they're worth too.

I really do think it's mainly about the money.

Given how he was treated by his fellow players and the MLBPA last year, I wish Correa would take less to stay in Houston and piss them all off even more.

I hope Know-The-Facts Correa stays in Houston as well!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
MaxPower
It's a silly concept. Teams operate with a budget. They may go over or under by a certain percentage but it's a budget. The more Cole or Lindor gets paid is just that much less of the budget to allocate to other players.

Really if they want to increase overall spending it's by trying to get the cellar dwellers and low budget teams to spend more, not the Yankees or Dodgers to allocate a higher percentage of their overall budget to star players for monster deals. The Rays are never going to spend on Cole or Mookie but you could probably increase their payroll spend if you eliminate service manipulation or start arbitration earlier in guys careers.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. Union thinking is bizarre to me.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Take it with a grain of salt given what Click said earlier today, but this seems to hint that the contract talks are over with Correa.
tjack16
AG
Haven't heard of this yet
Farmer1906
AG
I cannot get enough baseball right now. I've listened to Crawford Talks, Astros Futures, & Ballpark Dimensions pods today. Is it opening today yet?
Big Al 1992
AG
All the talk about $200 mil and $300 mil deals makes me wonder what happened about all the talk the owners were hurting and losing so much money due to Covid. These deals seem like business as usual.
Bregxit
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I cannot get enough baseball right now. I've listened to Crawford Boxes, Astros Futures, & Ballpark Dimensions pods today. Is it opening today yet?
I'm pissed that the opener is on ESPN. I want me some Blummer and TK dammit!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Opener is on both ATTSSW and ESPN. Wish it didn't start so late though.
bearkatag15
AG
Granato said this morning Correa countered at $25mm per year. He wasn't very specific other than that comment. He seemed pretty confident a deal gets done
Farmer1906
AG
Didn't catch that part, but also said he thinks it'll continue after the deadline. "What is Carlos going to do if the Astros offer what he wants 3 days into the season?"
n_touch
Farmer1906 said:

Didn't catch that part, but also said he thinks it'll continue after the deadline. "What is Carlos going to do if the Astros offer what he wants 3 days into the season?"
Sign it and swim in the money

Farmer1906
AG
Exactly. If what Granado is saying is accurate, Carlos seems to be handling the negotiation very reasonably. I understand guys want as much as possible, but the optics of Lindor turning down 325 M ain't great. He's good. He's worth a ton of money. He's a step down from the top tier. Maybe two steps down. He ain't worth what he's asking. I am a little shocked the Mets are offering what they are.
MaxPower
Agreed. I'm not giving a guy 10+ years whose value is significantly based on his defense at a premium position. There's 0 chance he's even an average SS after the first 7 or 8 years of that contract. He's never drawn walks and, given his size, I question if he can still be a 30 HR hitter when he's 34 or 35.

Correa can legitimately move to 3B and have enough bat to justify it. Lindor can't do the same.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Traitor
Bregxit
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Opener is on both ATTSSW and ESPN. Wish it didn't start so late though.

I'm no longer pissed!
Ag_07
AG
As far after the 4/1 deadline goes it sure would be pretty damn awesome to announce his new deal the day of the home opener.

Press conference prior to the game at MMP with a big standing o as he's introduced.

It's all lining up perfectly.
Mathguy64
AG
9:10 start right? Gonna be some Astros After Dark
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

9:10 start right? Gonna be some Astros After Dark
Yep, I'm on the east coast (yes, I know, username checks out) so it's 10pm for me.
Farmer1906
AG
Better get a nap in
mazag08
AG
Hey guys,

Farmer just reached out to me about starting the thread.

I'm honored. It's always something I look forward to. But I haven't really followed much since January and honestly don't even really know what offseason moves we made. I think it would take me far too much time to catch up.

I think it's time to pass the torch.

I had a good run. Under my reign, we won the World Series

But I also fostered a culture of cheating that led to the dismissal of the best GM in the world. And to top things off, his replacement didn't prioritize our favorite player who is now a Blue Jay.

It's time for new blood. Someone who can rally the team, city, and fanbase back together with the grace of Todd Kalas and the suave of Goeff Blum.

Someone who inspires. Someone who doesn't merely post hotties, but who bangs hotties and draws the ladies in.

Yall got this. I'll still be around. We're gonna win it all. No doubt in my mind. But for now, we need a new hero. The past must die.

Ag_07
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Well played sir, I love your style.

I again nominate Mathguy, and out of sheer entertainment nominate Nuke to give us his take on the off season and his predictions for the season as we open it up tomorrow
Mathguy64
AG
I'm honored but It's all I can do to get random still pics of Kate posted. Embedding anything more complicated is beyond my abilities to TA.
3B Paul 97
AG
Farmer or Ag_07?
Deluxe
AG
In honor of 2021 being Ted's first MVP season, I think it's only right that Farmer be the OP
mazag08
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'm honored but It's all I can do to get random still pics of Kate posted. Embedding anything more complicated is beyond my abilities to TA.
You got this man..

Just go to giphy.com on a computer. Type in astros.

Find a gif that captures the mood of that particular sentence or thought and right click and open in a new tab.

Then, click this

Then copy this and paste it in the post.

It's that simple. No texags forum code or tags needed. Just copy and paste.

mazag08
AG
A lot of it is browsing the gifs, opening the ones you like or think are funny in a new tab, and then working the content in a way that fits the images.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

Ag_07?

Eh...I will if there's no one else that wants it but honestly that's not in my wheelhouse. I'm not creative enough.

My vote is Nuke. That would be epic
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

We believe in you....and im perfectly fine with well timed and aligned still photos
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page
Page 129 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.