*****Official Houston Astros 2020-2021 Offseason Thread*****

406,145 Views | 4530 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tjack16
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Lance really does want to be here as bad as he says then I would think he'd be open to getting creative with making an agreed on total contract salary and years work with this year's tax situation.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't think that's realistic. He's a young guy entering prime. How creative can you be to keep his AAV to 6.5 M when his market value is likely double to triple that?
Big Al 1992
AG
Was PASSWORD123 already taken?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
When your someone of JV's caliber and age, you aren't taking anything not guaranteed. If we extend him there is a chance we get burned if he isn't the same guy.
Mathguy64
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Was PASSWORD123 already taken?

They were going to use TCU15 but that was already in use.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Confirming what was said earlier
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

A person with knowledge of the negotiations described the offer as "strong" and characterized the negotiations as "deep." Houston general manager James Click declined comment. MLB Network first reported McCullers' extension offer.

I'm down with that. I hope I'm wrong about the luxury tax stuff.
Deluxe
AG
Will be interesting to see. Wonder which side is making more of a sacrifice in value to get the deal done.
bearkatag15
AG

This was retweeted by Michael Schwab. Good trends here for LMJ
Mathguy64
AG
As we know it's not between his fingers. It's between his ears that makes you worry.
bearkatag15
AG

Correa's response
Ag_07
AG
I agree with him
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Why bother with statcast. Just look at their hat and glove. It ain't rocket science and they aren't exactly hiding it.
redline248
AG
I will believe MLB cares about ball doctoring when I see it. If they wanted to stop it, they could have done it around 2017/2018 and had a pitcher ejected in the 8th inning of a playoff game when every camera in the park was focused on his shiny arm. All it takes is once and then the ball clubs self police and fine their guys for getting tossed.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Got tix in the michelob ultra club section thing for opening day... pretty excited.
AggiEE
redline248 said:

I will believe MLB cares about ball doctoring when I see it. If they wanted to stop it, they could have done it around 2017/2018 and had a pitcher ejected in the 8th inning of a playoff game when every camera in the park was focused on his shiny arm. All it takes is once and then the ball clubs self police and fine their guys for getting tossed.

Stealing signs is totally against the game

But using pine tar to increase spin rate is A OK

What a joke, they haven't policed that in ages.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mariner's manager...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

More info..

Deluxe
AG
I'd be ok with Servais as our next manager after Dusty's tenure ends
redline248
AG
Lol, let's make sure we catch the pitchers after the game in order to not have them ejected in the middle of one.
Deluxe
AG
I'm mostly fine with the foreign substance crackdown. Either get rid of the rule or police it.

I can't stand the baseball culture of unenforced "grey area" cheating. It leads to situations like ours where everyone is breaking a rule and no one cares. Then someone breaks it a little bit more and it's a mega-scandal. GTFO.

I'll be interested to see the shakeout. I'm guessing it will be obvious which pitchers are over-reliant on it. And I wouldn't hate it if the Yankees $300+ million golden arm loses his secret sauce.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

I think it's Joe Espada's job as soon as Dusty retires. If not, then he'll be hired away as a manager soon.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

I'm mostly fine with the foreign substance crackdown. Either get rid of the rule or police it.

I can't stand the baseball culture of unenforced "grey area" cheating. It leads to situations like ours where everyone is breaking a rule and no one cares. Then someone breaks it a little bit more and it's a mega-scandal. GTFO.

I'll be interested to see the shakeout. I'm guessing it will be obvious which pitchers are over-reliant on it. And I wouldn't hate it if the Yankees $300+ million golden arm loses his secret sauce.
Agree with this take. It's what made me so mad about our scandal - that baseball cares about some cheating when it goes past some arbitrary line they've set, then they pin it all on one team because they are scared to say it's a league wide issue.

I'm actually glad they made a decision one way or another. At the very least, they are acknowledging a league wide problem, which is what they should have done with the monitors in the first place.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

If you take away the substance then the Ks go down, but the seems are raised so many the substance has less of an effect if the pitchers can get a grip without the substance. The balls don't travel as far. Basically, both steps will lead to more balls in play which makes defense & speed more important. I think that is what baseball wants for now.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

I think it's Joe Espada's job as soon as Dusty retires. If not, then he'll be hired away as a manager soon.
To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised Servais is still the Mariner's manager.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Deluxe said:

If you take away the substance then the Ks go down, but the seems are raised so many the substance has less if the pitchers can get a grip without the substance. The balls don't travel as far. Basically, both steps will lead to more balls in play which makes defense & speed more important. I think that is what baseball wants for now.
Agree - they want the K's down for sure. Maybe the next step is to go back to playing in the Polo fields.
TarponChaser
Ag_07 said:

I agree with him

100%

The navy blue and orange color scheme is fantastic. The way they tinkered with the blue & gold and then red/black/gold was a travesty.

If they want to bring back vintage uniforms then they need to make the old school rainbow jerseys a regular part of the rotation.

This uniform is iconic IMHO:

Ag_07
AG
I've always suggested that if anyone comes to MMP with brick red or pinstripes that they are required to take a dip into the lost and found and exchange it for something else free of charge.

That shlt needs to be phased out completely.
tjack16
AG
I love the orange and blue. Gold and blue was cool too but the brick/black.... nah
Big Al 1992
AG
20th anniversary of former Astro Randy Johnson vs a bird.
bearkatag15
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
TarponChaser said:

Ag_07 said:

I agree with him

100%

The navy blue and orange color scheme is fantastic. The way they tinkered with the blue & gold and then red/black/gold was a travesty.

If they want to bring back vintage uniforms then they need to make the old school rainbow jerseys a regular part of the rotation.

I dont mind a variant close to that but id like something a little less, closer to what the aggies had and what many high school teams use, the rainbow going all the way up to the armpit/nipples is just too high for me

Ialso really like these:
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

TarponChaser said:

Ag_07 said:

I agree with him

100%

I dont mind a variant close to that but id like something a little less, closer to what the aggies had and what many high school teams use, the rainbow going all the way up to the armpit/nipples is just too high for me

Ialso really like these:

Those are better than the full-on Rainbow IMO.

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Looking awfully bare at 4th OFer.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 130

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.