****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,838 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SeanDaAg2005 said:

I know people are going to blame Lance, but if Yuli comes through in the 7th or Bregman in the 8th it doesn't matter... Just saying there's plenty of blame to go around.

I just looked up the free agent lists and the only outfielders of note (besides ours) are Ozuna, Cespedes and Puig (ugh)

I don't even know if we'll have money to throw around if we sign Springer... who even plays?

Or Brantley in the 6th. I said it when it happened and I'll say it again. Rays deserved to lose for pulling Morton. Dude was nails. We bailed out their bullpen several times when they were struggling.
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

You wanna start the offseason thread? You're a reg.

I can. I just want to give it a few days. When should an offseason thread be started?
Big Al 1992
AG
We'll always have Carlos' walk off.
AggiEE
tremble said:

AggiEE said:

Kashchei said:

Who is gone next year? Reddick? George??

Reddick and Brantley for sure

Hope we can sign Springer

I don't see it. If we didn't have JV and Greinke on the books maybe we could swing it. I just don't see how we can afford it if we are going to OT Correa.

We get paid out on 80% of Verlander's salary from insurance.

His salary still counts against the luxury cap tax but I'm hoping Crane is willing to take a 1 year dip into that since our team is still insanely good.

We are only a few pieces from being back to the ALCS next year
Boiling Denim
SeanDaAg2005 said:

I know people are going to blame Lance, but if Yuli comes through in the 7th or Bregman in the 8th it doesn't matter... Just saying there's plenty of blame to go around.

I just looked up the free agent lists and the only outfielders of note (besides ours) are Ozuna, Cespedes and Puig (ugh)

I don't even know if we'll have money to throw around if we sign Springer... who even plays?

Crazy that "Coming through" in some of those situations would have just been a sac fly

Something that seems completely lost with many of these guys
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Sarcastic shocker: lance sucked

Non sarcastic shocker: Bregman was the worst postseason player on our team.
bluefire579
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

I can. I just want to give it a few days. When should an offseason thread be started?
Immediately!!!!!

j/k, do it whenever
W
AG
AggiEE said:

tremble said:

AggiEE said:

Kashchei said:

Who is gone next year? Reddick? George??

Reddick and Brantley for sure

Hope we can sign Springer

I don't see it. If we didn't have JV and Greinke on the books maybe we could swing it. I just don't see how we can afford it if we are going to OT Correa.

We get paid out on 80% of Verlander's salary from insurance.

His salary still counts against the luxury cap tax but I'm hoping Crane is willing to take a 1 year dip into that since our team is still insanely good.

We are only a few pieces from being back to the ALCS next year
strangely enough...some of this depends on the COVID and the presidential election.

will teams throw big money at free agents when they don't know what % capacity will be allowed in April?

what kind of dire straits will franchises be in if 2021 is going to be another season with 0% or 25% fan capacity?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Yuli might take that crown. But Bregman wasn't far behind. They were both huge rally killers
maca1028
Here's to hoping I'm sitting in MMP with a cold saint arnolds in hand at some point next season.
BCSGrubber
AG
I would like to understand what injuries all the guys are playing through. Lack of off days had to be hell on the position players too
Big Al 1992
AG
For a crazy regular season with injuries and 7 inning games and runners starting on second and cardboard fans, Astros made the post season fun. Underachieved in the regular season but did just enough. Overachieved in the most important part, the postseason. Enjoyed all the baseball talk with everyone in here. Look forward to seeing the 2021 Astros in person at Minute Maid again.
Deluxe
AG
tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

Honestly I might do it ASAP before someone else tries to and everyone else goes with it. Just my two cents.
Hi, Im Brett
AG
ALCS streak still alive. Make it 5 next year!
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Yuli might take that crown. But Bregman wasn't far behind. They were both huge rally killers

Yuli came with far, far less expectations than Bregman. Bregman is supposed to be "that dude" for our team and he failed miserably repeatedly. It was a pathetic performance through 13 games. I'm unrepairably disappointed in him.
Ag12thman
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Bregman seems to have pulled a very LSU-like transition to 2020 from 2019. Still love him, but he's gotta be a lot better than he was.
agdaddy04
AG
Marvin said:

McCullers throwing a fastball to Arozarena in the first inning was the ballgame. I will never understand that stupidity. Just galacticly dumb.

Still should've been able to score more than 2 runs. That's a disappointment with all of the opportunities.
aftershock
BCSGrubber said:

I would like to understand what injuries all the guys are playing through. Lack of off days had to be hell on the position players too

I had the same thought. Some of these guys aren't playing to their full potential because of tweaks and other ailments. Mentally they've got to be drained as well. I'm glad we put together a decent run into the playoffs, keeping it competitive and staying scrappy up until the end. Some R and R will do these guys well, and hopefully we put together the pieces to make another deep run.
redline248
AG
Everyone piling on McCullers for throwing the fastball needs to direct some of that blame to Maldy, who called for it twice.
Farmer1906
AG
Boys, this year didn't go anything like we were expecting. We underperformed. But turned it on when it mattered and fell just short. When you compare this run we're in the middle of to the rest of baseball, it's fairly significant to make the CS 4 years in a row. We should all be enjoying the ride even when we don't bring home the Comissionors Trophy. It'll definitely look different next year, but there is still plenty on the roster to keep this thing going. Time for Click to warm his check. Let's win the whole ****ing thing in 2021.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Everyone piling on McCullers for throwing the fastball needs to direct some of that blame to Maldy, who called for it twice.

I'm provably one of the biggest LMJ fans on here, but Maldy called curve and I think Lance shook
Him off so Maldy called heater.
EagleAg19
As bad as Bregs and Yuli were, I'll always look back to Altuve's errors as the big "what if" of this series.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed my brother. Great season. We totally rebuilt the pitching staff and still came within a game of the WS. Organization is doing way more right than wrong.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

I'm provably one of the biggest LMJ fans on here, but Maldy called curve and I think Lance shook
Maldy called heater, Lance shook, Maldy called curve, Lance shook, Maldy called 3rd pitch, Lance stepped off. When he stepped back on Maldy called heater and Lance said let's go.
tremble
AG
Is Whitley showing any potential for being salvaged or do we think he's toasted goods?

A rotation of Framber, Urquidy, Whitley, and a plug in like Greinke or JV would do a lot to permit us the flexibility to sign guys like Correa long term.
Buck Compton
AG
If we can find another starter, our bullpen is young, cheap, and effective when you add back in Smith, Devo (minus bone spurs), Peacock, and Osuna. I'd even wager It's well above average.

Happy surprise from this season
tjack16
AG
Deluxe said:

tjack16 said:

Deluxe said:

Honestly I might do it ASAP before someone else tries to and everyone else goes with it. Just my two cents.

If somebody beats me to it it's no biggie ... I probably won't have time to make it until Monday or so.
Big Al 1992
AG
Our pitching staff next year is gonna be full of seasoned veterans. Amazing how much experience these guys got - including postseason. Framber, Paredes, Christian - all will be key pieces next year.
Farmer1906
AG
tremble said:

Is Whitley showing any potential for being salvaged or do we think he's toasted goods?

A rotation of Framber, Urquidy, Whitley, and a plug in like Greinke or JV would do a lot to permit us the flexibility to sign guys like Correa long term.

Javier was a great starter this year. Paredes looked like a future closer, but he came up as a starter. Lance & Greinke will be back next year. Don't sleep of Garcia either.
Farmer1906
AG
Why do championship caps/shirts more often than not look like *****
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Someday the rest of you will come around to realize that lance does not have the stuff to be a starting pitcher on this team.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Someday the rest of you will come around to realize that lance does not have the stuff to be a starting pitcher on this team.

I mean this purely mentally... he obviously has the physical talent.
Buck Compton
AG
Next year is probably Framber, Greinke, Urquidy, Lance, ???? Right now with "????" likely being Javier. That's not elite, but it's at least a bit above average.

Bullpen will be above average.

Big question is what our outfield looks like and if Alvarez can be healthy.
Farmer1906
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

He's been a starter for 5 seasons. Looks like you're the one who needs to come around.
bluefire579
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

I think out of everyone, Bregman was hurt the most by the short season. Even ignoring the fact that he missed a good chunk with injury, he has traditionally been a guy who starts slow and eventually gets the snowball rolling downhill. This isn't making excuses for him; the guy would be a perennial MVP winner if he ever could start a season like he ends it, but this season, short as it was, his tendencies harmed us the most this post season, and when he needed to find a way to get past it, he failed miserably. I hope he works this offseason, and finds a way to get past whatever block he has in the early season. While we likely won't ever see a season like this again, it's still important that we can depend on him throughout the year, not just after the team has played well into the third month.
First Page Last Page
Page 864 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.