****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,631,622 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe said:

Deluxe said:

The first 2/6 Ben Reiter podcasts were released this morning. I just listened to the first one. No need to waste your time. Just rehashes stuff we already know.

-Leads off with an interview w Mike Bolsinger and goes in depth into the infamous inning where the Astros knocked him around
-Introduces interviews with Julia Morales/Jeff Luhnow, goes in depth into the 2011-2014 rebuild
-Recaps the 2017 title run
-Gives himself a ton of credit for his Sports Illustrated cover
-Episode then ends with Bolsinger's sob story

If he actually has some new information, hopefully he gets to it soon. I'll post an episode two recap later today.
Second one is mostly a waste too.

-Starts off with former 3B coach Dave Trembley complaining about Luhnow bringing a "Wall Street" like culture to the Astros, treating players like numbers instead of "caring" about them... blah blah blah
-Recap of how Astros came to Houston originally, Astrodome and, of course, connects Astros to Enron
-Discuses Crane buying team, hiring Luhnow and changes Luhnow introduced (shift, player development, technology/data)
-2014 Cardinals hacking recap

The only nugget of info that I found even remotely interesting is some background into the hiring of Tom Koch-Weser before the 2014 season from the Mariners. Supposedly he told Trembley when he got to Houston that the Mariners had all the Astros signs in 2013. And sounds like the Astros didn't know using cameras to steal signs was a thing at the time.
Episode 3/6 of the Ben Reiter Edge podcast came out today. I found this one to be a little bit more interesting. Good history of sign stealing/relaying in baseball (Bobby Thompson HR, Brewers mascot, etc) and lengths teams go to get an edge. Also features Beltran quite a bit and the methods he brought to Houston, mostly from an interview Reiter did with Beltran back in 2018. Unlike the first two episodes, I'd say this one is worth a listen.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-edge-houston-astros/id1531522658
cap-n-jack
bearkatag15 said:

[You got one month off - Texags Staff]

What did Bearkatag do to get the hook? Hopefully it was T&A.
n_touch
cap-n-jack said:

bearkatag15 said:

I'm sure we all know what he did....

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
What's more American than pictures of old catchers mitts and roast beef sandwiches?
Harry Dunne
cap-n-jack said:

bearkatag15 said:

Hopefully.

And we all know what is required of us now if his selfless act leads to a win tonight.
n_touch
USERNAME CHECKS OUT!
Deluxe
AG
Don't mean to cause anyone an embarrassing work erection but THERE'S A VIDEO OF YORDAN ALVAREZ RUNNING ON A TREADMILL ON INSTAGRAM
htxag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Don't mean to cause anyone an embarrassing work erection but THERE'S A VIDEO OF YORDAN ALVAREZ RUNNING ON A TREADMILL ON INSTAGRAM

A zero gravity treadmill...
BCSGrubber
AG
Deluxe said:

Suit him up...he usually jogs around the bases anyway

Deluxe
AG
I'll take it
n_touch
htxag09 said:

Deluxe said:

A zero gravity treadmill...
I dont care if he never leaves the box. His bat would still be better than what we are getting from DH now
Deluxe
AG
Looking forward to Yordan running a 4.5 and playing center field next year
Farmer1906
AG
Let me be very clear. Yordan is a very very very good. He's going to be a key bat in our line up for years to come.

But he sucked in the playoffs last year. He might have sucked this year too. This is what he did in last year's ALCS.

He wasn't much better in the DS, but he was back to himself in the WS.

Farmer1906
AG
From Fangraphs after yesterday's game:

Quote:

When the obituary of the 2020 Astros is written, it'll note how singularly, impossibly awful they've been at the plate in the ALCS: 31 left on base, 4-for-24 with runners in scoring position, five runs in 27 innings. It's a fluke to a certain degree, as Houston was perfectly fine in those situations during the regular season. But at the same time, it's no accidentjust the product of inescapable bad luck, compounded by a Rays team that takes advantage of every mistake and missed opportunity. Sometimes, you're just going to lose.
Note the 4/27 with RISP results in 0 runs.
AggieLit
Farmer1906 said:

From Fangraphs after yesterday's game:

Quote:

When the obituary of the 2020 Astros is written, it'll note how singularly, impossibly awful they've been at the plate in the ALCS: 31 left on base, 4-for-24 with runners in scoring position, five runs in 27 innings. It's a fluke to a certain degree, as Houston was perfectly fine in those situations during the regular season. But at the same time, it's no accidentjust the product of inescapable bad luck, compounded by a Rays team that takes advantage of every mistake and missed opportunity. Sometimes, you're just going to lose.
Note the 4/27 with RISP results in 0 runs.

So have our only runs in this series been solo home runs? Geez that's awful.
AggieLit
Farmer1906 said:

Let me be very clear. Yordan is a very very very good. He's going to be a key bat in our line up for years to come.

But he sucked in the playoffs last year. He might have sucked this year too. This is what he did in last year's ALCS.

He didn't have much power in the WS. No home runs IIRC, one long fly ball died before the fence in right, would have scored multiple runs in Game 6 I think it was.
Farmer1906
AG
Correct. 2 by Altuve, 1 Correa, 1 Brantley.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Pick a statement....was he bad in the Playoffs or bad in the ALCS...only 1 is correct btw
Deluxe
AG
Yea. He was good the World Series. Bad in the ALCS (like alot of our bats). Meh in the ALDS. None of which has any impact on how he would have performed this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Pick a statement....was he bad in the Playoffs or bad in the ALCS...only 1 is correct btw
Both are.

As a whole, he was in the low .600 OPS for the postseason. He was just at his worse during the ALCS. Like just plain awful.
Farmer1906
AG
My point was there are no guarantees. Postseason be crazy. Even our best hitter turned to **** in the playoff run last year.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My point was there are no guarantees. Postseason be crazy. Even our best hitter turned to **** in the playoff run last year.
Alvarez turned to **** in the ALCS, like alot of our elite bats. And it goes without saying that there are no guarantees in baseball. But just because there are no guarantees doesn't mean we'd rather have Diaz/Reddick up there than Yordan.
bullard21k
AG
I'm not sure that's really a point though.

A rookie didn't hit well in his first post season?

Okay and?
tjack16
AG
I think Alvarez would have crushed this postseason. He's the one we have missed the most IMO. Starting pitching hasn't cost us any games this postseason, so losing JV wasn't as impactful as we thought it would be
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Plus he would have crushed the regular season, possibly putting us in a better situation going into the playoffs...i posed a quiz a while back of who was the greatest loss...with hindsight fully engaged I 100% say Yordan Alvarez now
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Your Opinion: Who has been the biggest loss this year for the Astros?

1: Justin Verlander
2: Yordan Alvarez
3: Roberto Osuna
4: Not resigning Harris
Anyone like to rehash after end of regular season and so far in the playoffs?

1. Starting pitching has been stellar and way above expectations with who we had to ride with
2. Yup
3. 4. Hurts but we have found some good pen arms in the mean time that will help in the future
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Plus he would have crushed the regular season, possibly putting us in a better situation going into the playoffs...i posed a quiz a while back of who was the greatest loss...with hindsight fully engaged I 100% say Yordan Alvarez now
Agree.

On paper it 100% should have been JV. Such a weird year.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thankfully it wasn't JV though. Yordan comes back in April....JV doesn't.

No matter what happens tonight or the next three days I have so much hope going in to next year with our pitchers. Only thing on my mind is can we re-sign in George and if not we must go hard for Brantley
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
bluefire579 said:

As the great Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over 'til it's over"

Youre thinking about lenny kravitz
tjack16
AG
Next year might be our year. I'm getting a sense that odd number years are our World Series years. 17, 19 and 21

The young pitchers will have gained experience, and Alvarez should be back. Tucker will be better, Altuve will hopefully hit like he has the last few weeks. Even if we lose springer and Brantley, I'm confident we come close to 100 wins next year and win the division
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
AgDC
dshedd41
S
I wrote this article this morning on last night.
Gig’em Aggies!
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Next year might be our year. I'm getting a sense that odd number years are our World Series years. 17, 19 and 21

The young pitchers will have gained experience, and Alvarez should be back. Tucker will be better, Altuve will hopefully hit like he has the last few weeks. Even if we lose springer and Brantley, I'm confident we come close to 100 wins next year and win the division
The Giants did it 2010, 2012, 2014
cap-n-jack
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

What's more American than pictures of old catchers mitts and roast beef sandwiches?

So posting a picture of the little man in the canoe gets you 30 days in the hole? Seems a little gratuitous if you ask me.
First Page Last Page
Page 752 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.