****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,625,415 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
EagleAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CFTXAG10 said:

Ag_07 said:

They just completely fanned out screaming into the mic with excitement.

Once everything settled down ARod went on to say how incredible it was and that it now stood in history as one the iconic Yankee postseason moments.

You can call a game with a big moment and show the importance of that moment without going all fanboy. It was pretty sickening. That's actually a perfect description for it.
I was done with ARoid announcing this postseason after watching game 1 and the pitcher throws a ball that the ump calls a strike. Clearly up and out of the zone. ARoid proceeds to say that it is a strike and has some BS explanation. Broadcast partner: "So, you are saying that it is a strike, even though pitch track shows it high and clearly out of the zone?" ARoid: "Absolutely!"
If he announced one of our games, I'd watch the entire thing on mute
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Thus why I had 4 starters listed above. I think if ZG goes 80 pitches and can get you through 5 or less then bring in Framber.... If he can stretch 80 pitches through 6 then you throw Parades/Scrubb/Brooks/Pressley to end the game.

Then G2 you go MCC and run his as long as you can, if he falters early and you havent used Framber then you bring him in....if you have already used him then you start having to make decisions.

If ZG is only limiting at 80 pitches 3 days rest might make it a little easier....the bigger issue is what do you do in game 5 if necessary because I absolutely do not trust MCC on 3 days rest
BCSGrubber
AG
AggieLit said:

Dan Shedd said:

Has Gurriel put on weight this year?

Haven't we all?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BCSGrubber said:

AggieLit said:

Dan Shedd said:

Haven't we all?
Over the quarantine I would say Yuli, Josh, and Alex for sure added some weight. I think Altuve looks a little thicker too

Where as I think Ted lost some bulk over the Rona compared to how he showed up to Spring Training
Farmer1906
AG
AggieLit said:

Dan Shedd said:

Here are his sprint #s as an Astro

Age 33
26.9 (ft/s)
272 Competitive Runs
4.36 Home to First

Age 34
27.6 (ft/s)
272 Competitive Runs
4.32 Home to First

Age 35
27.6 (ft/s)
263 Competitive Runs
4.32 Home to First

Age 36
26.9 (ft/s)
77 Competitive Runs
4.40 Home to First

I guess he's slowed down slightly, but he actually sped up at 34. He's still above average athletically and speed-wise for a first baseman.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This might need to be a series where you cut your losses if you get down early.

Say Greinke gets rocked in the 2nd for 4 runs. Yank him out so he's there for game 5 or ride him til his arm falls off so the BP can be saved. Don't blow Javier or Framber at that point because while its entirely possible to come back from 4-0, the odds aren't great.

You are 100% right. We need the bats to come alive and carry us for at least 1 win where we're not in constant high leverage situations.
Totally agree. If we're down 4+ runs early in any game, let James/Garcia/Scrubb eat innings and save our good bullets. It's funny to think but I'd almost rather lose by 10 from here on out than a hard fought one run loss where we burn our top arms.
Mathguy64
AG
Considering Yuli could be anywhere between 36 and 40 that's not shabby.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

BCSGrubber said:

AggieLit said:

Dan Shedd said:

Haven't we all?
Over the quarantine I would say Yuli, Josh, and Alex for sure added some weight. I think Altuve looks a little thicker too

Where as I think Ted lost some bulk over the Rona compared to how he showed up to Spring Training
Josh has absolutely aged poorly.

27.8 (ft/s)
4.20 home to first

26.2 (ft/s)
4.47 home to first

He's now slower than 36 year old Yuli.
Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Thus why I had 4 starters listed above. I think if ZG goes 80 pitches and can get you through 5 or less then bring in Framber.... If he can stretch 80 pitches through 6 then you throw Parades/Scrubb/Brooks/Pressley to end the game.

Then G2 you go MCC and run his as long as you can, if he falters early and you havent used Framber then you bring him in....if you have already used him then you start having to make decisions.

If ZG is only limiting at 80 pitches 3 days rest might make it a little easier....the bigger issue is what do you do in game 5 if necessary because I absolutely do not trust MCC on 3 days rest
Yep. I think the only thing set in stone right now is that Greinke starts g1 and then we make subsequent decisions based on how he performs. If he dominates and we have a 2+ run lead thru 6, we can see if our bullpen can take it home. If he dominates thru 6 and we're tied, gonna be a tough call. If he struggles and gives us 4 1/3, it will depend on what the score is. So many scenarios.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Yep. I think the only thing set in stone right now is that Greinke starts g1 and then we make subsequent decisions based on how he performs. If he dominates and we have a 2+ run lead thru 6, we can see if our bullpen can take it home. If he dominates thru 6 and we're tied, gonna be a tough call. If he struggles and gives us 4 1/3, it will depend on what the score is. So many scenarios.
I hope it isn't in stone. We need to look at the match ups and start whoever is best suited to shut them out between Greinke, McCullers, Framber, Urquidy, & Javier. Greinke isn't Verlander or Cole. At this point in his career, he's 1 of 5 horses who's good, but not elite.

For 2020
Oakland saw Greinke 3x and roughed him up twice
McCullers, Framber, & Urquidy each had 1 start and they were solid.
Javier had one good and one bad vs OAK.

This is 90 seconds of research. I would hope Click and Dusty spend some time looking at each batter and matchups to build a plan and not just slot Greinke in because he's a future HOFer.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Its a 5 game series....theyre all going to pitch, not like they have multiple lineups or your looking at who to start at home vs away. Every game is the same matchup just a matter of order.

ZG goes first and you hope he rolls and apparently then you pull him before it goes off a cliff after 80 pitches... hopefully we can be up say 4-5 runs when he is at that mark and you roll dice that he can go another inning but be ready to pull if he gives up a run or two....that scenario is what will set up our pitching, using ZG and one other BP arm that isnt Framber

Deluxe
AG
I'm very open to the idea of Greinke not starting g1, but I think he's ultimately going to get the ball. Agree that it doesn't give me warm/fuzzy feelings like JV/Cole. It's just our current reality. From there, I think just about any sequence of pitcher deployment is possible though.
Farmer1906
AG
I understand that. But if its clear they love hitting high spin four-seam fastballs then I am not starting Javier. If I see they can't touch curve balls from righties then I want Lance game 1 so there is a chance he can go game 5.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I understand that. But if its clear they love hitting high spin four-seam fastballs then I am not starting Javier. If I see they can't touch curve balls from righties then I want Lance game 1 so there is a chance he can go game 5.
I dont trust him on 3 day rest, do not want.

If you dont want Javier starting but youd be fine with him going 2 innings or so in game 1/2 when its nut cutting time? Thats why I push him back as the G4 starter with a possibility we dont have to use Framber and he can actually start G4, but atleast if you have 2 wins going into G4 with Javier pitching if they hit him you have another shot in G5
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My issue is ZG is the only one I trust starting on 3 day rest if we have to go to G5. Plus if he can be nails he COULD really save some arms to start the series.
TRM
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I dont trust him on 3 day rest, do not want.

If you dont want Javier starting but youd be fine with him going 2 innings or so in game 1/2 when its nut cutting time? Thats why I push him back as the G4 starter with a possibility we dont have to use Framber and he can actually start G4, but atleast if you have 2 wins going into G4 with Javier pitching if they hit him you have another shot in G5

Assuming we start Greinke, Urquidy, McCullers, Valdez, then Javier, I think we try to pitch our guys on their bullpen throwing session days like:

Framber pitches an inning or 2 in game 1
Javier in game 2
Greinke in game 4
Urquidy in game 5

The less innings out of the bullpen, the better.
Marvin
AG
I would start Valdez and let him ride it to 100+ pitches if he is locked in. Hard for me to see how Urquidy and Valdez aren't our two best starters at this point.

Edit: on full rest, of course.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Were definitely not starting all 5
Beat40
What about using someone like Paredes as a starter for one game? He's thrown 2 innings before, so it's not like he couldn't if he had a solid 1st inning. Maybe you do that on a LMJ or a Framber start.

If on a Framber start - you might be able to steal a game with 2 arms that way.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Beat40 said:

What about using someone like Paredes as a starter for one game? He's thrown 2 innings before, so it's not like he couldn't if he had a solid 1st inning. Maybe you do that on a LMJ or a Framber start.

Not a fan of that at all....thats not something I am willing to try for the first time this season in the Division round of the playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
Here is how they finished the year (Sept only, no postseason). Lance and Urquidy were the best down the stretch.

BMX Bandit
And whoever wins starts ALCS on Sunday, 7 straight days. Pitchers going to be struggling all over
BMX Bandit
Fiers going today.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

I'm on board with creative ideas like that and Click might be licking his chops right now to deploy some of his Tampa strategy.

Maybe not Paredes, but if we play the A's, we could let Raley/Taylor start and face 1-4 (La Stella/Olsen lefties) and then turn it over to a starter.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

And whoever wins starts ALCS on Sunday, 7 straight days. Pitchers going to be struggling all over
Not if you win in 3 or 4
astros4545
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Fiers going today.
So Astros vs White Sox
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Fiers going today.
I look forward to him getting lit up and facing the Sox then...
Farmer1906
AG
White Sox it is.

Pitching better be ready because the Sox can absolutely mash.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Take your star sir
Farmer1906
AG
Apparently he's not the only one with that joke.

Ag_07
AG
Is Mark Melancon really closing for the Braves?

Seems like forever ago he was sucking it up for us.
Deluxe
AG
If we get the White Sox, need to throw Jimenez nothing but high heat
TRM
AG
Chicago lets Fiers.off the hook for now.
BCSGrubber
AG
Deluxe said:

If we get the White Sox, need to throw Jimenez nothing but high heat
And walk Abreu every time
First Page Last Page
Page 587 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.