****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,654 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't remember a more disappointing road trip. 2-9 to fall a game under .500 and trying to stay ahead of the dreadful Mariners in the standings.
bearkatag15
AG

Nothing will happen with this but...
Cromagnum
AG
We could all use this shirt.

Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I was wondering the exact same thing last night in light of the Javy Baez story. I guess Baez is pissed because he cant watch film in game anymore. Then the Dodgers last night were clearly watching it.
Marvin
AG
Ok, let's look forward. What do we "need" to happen at this point for the best chance at a playoff run?

1. Health- this is the biggest issue. Who will realistically get healthy in the next two weeks? I assume Altuve. Any pitchers? McCullers for the second round home games- he's not worth pitching on the road in a three game set. I wouldn't expect Verlander, but even a couple of opener innings would be a huge bonus. Diaz? His bat, while not Alvarez, is the only legitimate major league caliber option on the bench. I assume Gurriel will be ok. That might be the extent of what we can expect. Not sure about any relievers.

2. Bregman starts to resemble Bregman. Even if it's 2020 Bregman, we need him to be as right as possible.

3. Get Dusty to volunteer for a lobotomy. Ok, not realistic.

4. Springer watch a pitch or two. Ok, not realistic either.

5. Valdez settle back down and hit his spots.

Anything else in the realm of possibility that would give this team a fighting chance?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I wouldn't expect Verlander

I didn't until last night.

Olney reported during the broadcast that he's up to 65 pitches and will be stretched out to 75-80 during his next session and then the plan is to insert him into the rotation within the next couple weeks.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Fire Dave Roberts. Fire the GM. $5MM fine and a loss of 1st and 2nd round picks. Label them cheaters and tar and feather Cody Bellinger, Justin Turner. Blackball Joe Kelly forever.

Ok I'm joking. Noting will happen because Rob Manfred is a joke. But seriously, they violated the hard rule after we were made examples of and the Commissioner laid the hard rule down. Doing nothing looks BAD.
htxag09
AG
Honestly, is this really a big deal? Seems I recall lots of occasions of players going into the locker room to watch a replay after striking out looking. I mean it's not a secret that locker rooms have TVs. And they are connected to the dugout.....
Deluxe
AG
I'm guessing it was just a rogue clubhouse employee who tied Lux to a chair and forced him to watch
Deluxe
AG
htxag09 said:

Honestly, is this really a big deal? Seems I recall lots of occasions of players going into the locker room to watch a replay after striking out looking. I mean it's not a secret that locker rooms have TVs. And they are connected to the dugout.....
There was a big story recently where Javy Baez complained about MLB making it illegal...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29833732/struggling-javy-baez-sounds-inability-watch-video-previous-bats-games

Quote:

Baez is hitting .205 and has struggled for much of the shortened season. Like many players, the 27-year-old normally heads to the replay room to watch his at-bats and make adjustments for his next trip to the plate. But Major League Baseball cracked down on video, and protocols put in place during the coronavirus pandemic all but assured that there would be no way to monitor usage properly. Now players can't watch their at-bats until after games.
mwm
The commissioner has no spine. If he did, we would have seen other punishment handed down. All we heard was the gentle sound of a broom sweeping the sins of others under the rug.

I did find it ironic that ARod would point out cheating.
Mathguy64
AG
htxag09 said:

If its against the rules, then yes it is a big deal. It shows how hypocritical the media and players are and how weak the Commissioner is.
redline248
AG
Can the Astros win 10 of their remaining 13 games?
7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

10-3
Ag_07
AG
Hate to be the Debbie Downer but there's no way this BP is good enough to win 10 of 13.

This is a meddling team that bounces back and forth between over and under .500.

I don't see a 10-3 run in them.
W
AG
the Astros need 1 or 2 hitters to just go a tear at the plate.

somebody goes 6 for 10 with 4 x-base hits in the opening playoff round and so forth.

the Astros also need to start hitting home runs.

only rank 22nd in MLB with 53 homers in 47 games
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

10-3

Agreed
bearkatag15
AG
Kaplan just put out a good write up about the postseason pitching situation. Basically it talks about how the rotation could set up based on when JV and McCullers are scheduled to come back for their final couple starts of the season.

JV and ZG are interchangeable schedule wise for game 1 or 2 of the Wild Card series.
LMJ, based on when he and Framber are scheduled for their next starts (Wed and Thurs) would be in line for game 3. (That scares the piss out of me based on how LMJ is in road starts)

Then the bullpen would look like this.

Quote:

Pressly, Taylor, Paredes, Valdez, Urquidy and Javier would make six relievers. Brooks Raley brings the count to seven. Active rosters will remain at 28 players in the postseason, so the Astros could carry a 10-man bullpen like they have lately or even bring one or two more than that. Garcia, Brad Peacock, Josh James and Andre Scrubb would be candidates to fill out the bullpen.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

10-3

Agreed

I'll go 8-5. Anything more is just asking for something that hasn't been there all year.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

I wouldn't expect Verlander

I didn't until last night.

Olney reported during the broadcast that he's up to 65 pitches and will be stretched out to 75-80 during his next session and then the plan is to insert him into the rotation within the next couple weeks.

That's really, really good news.
Deluxe
AG
Yep. It's a totally different look than we had for most of the year. Getting a couple guys back healthy gives us enough depth to manage a shortened playoff series.

We can have JV start game 1 and have Urquidy ready for the later innings since JV will likely be on an innings restriction.

Then Greinke starts game 2 and we bookmark Javier to bridge the last couple innings and get it to Pressly.

Then we start LMJ in game 3 but we keep his leash very short and have Framber ready to roll if LMJ doesn't deliver.

We'll worry about the best of 5/7 series later.
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

I'll go 8-5. Anything more is just asking for something that hasn't been there all year.
You mean other than our 8 game winning streak?
redline248
AG
Deluxe said:

Yep. It's a totally different look than we had for most of the year. Getting a couple guys back healthy gives us enough depth to manage a shortened playoff series.

We can have JV start game 1 and have Urquidy ready for the later innings since JV will likely be on an innings restriction.

Then Greinke starts game 2 and we bookmark Javier to bridge the last couple innings and get it to Pressly.

Then we start LMJ in game 3 but we keep his leash very short and have Framber ready to roll if LMJ doesn't deliver.

I think I might rather have Framber start and LMJ relieve, but it's kind of a coin flip, imo. Both are capable of starting the game sharp and dominant, both are capable of starting out of the zone or fat over the plate.
Marvin
AG
Deluxe said:

Marvin said:

You mean other than our 8 game winning streak?

I'll concede that point. Wrapped around that streak was a 9-4 (before) run and a 10-3 (after) run. The other 30+ schedule combinations don't get you there. I guess there is a chance... but I'll still go with a more realistic 8-5.
Marvin
AG
redline248 said:

Deluxe said:

I think I might rather have Framber start and LMJ relieve, but it's kind of a coin flip, imo. Both are capable of starting the game sharp and dominant, both are capable of starting out of the zone or fat over the plate.

God help us if we are forced to rely on the pairing of Framber and LMJ in a game 3 winner-take-all scenario. Talk about implosion potential...
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

10-3

Agreed

We'll go 8-5 if we go by opponent winning %. Arizona & Texas are terrible. We may just run the table vs them. Seattle too. I change to 13-0.
Farmer1906
AG
At this point I don't think you can start LMJ in a final game with Framber available. There have been too much variation in his performances.
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

I'm predicting 8-5

4-3 against Rangers
2-1 against DBacks
2-1 against Mariners

That brings us to 31-29. That should be enough for 2nd unless the mariners pull massive upsets and sweep the A's
astros4545
AG
I'm excited to see Garcia pitch again
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Marvin said:

Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

7 vs Rangers
3 vs D backs
3 vs Mariners

10-3

Agreed

We'll go 8-5 if we go by opponent winning %. Arizona & Texas are terrible. We may just run the table vs them. Seattle too. I change to 13-0.

I like the moxie. I think you're wrong- I'm the smartest guy in this room- but I like where your head is.

Ok, oldest guy in the room... but with age comes wisdom. haha.
Farmer1906
AG
astros4545 said:

Me too.

Between Framber, Javier, Urquidy, & Garcia we may just have a decent rotation for the future. We still need someone to emerge to be the ace though. JV & Greinke can't live forever.
bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

Me too.

Between Framber, Javier, Urquidy, & Garcia we may just have a decent rotation for the future. We still need someone to emerge to be the ace though. JV & Greinke can't live forever.
If we can get our 2-3-4-5 guys of the rotation with those 4 then we need to spend money on the top ace you can find in free agency. No excuse not to spend money on pitching at that point.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

Me too.

Speaking of that rotation. You let Greinke & JV walk and sign McCullers to something reasonable you save like 60 M a year on your rotation alone. That could be used to find a new ace (Syndergaard?) or keep someone like Springer or Correa.
Farmer1906
AG
Yup same thing I was getting at after posting about the young guns.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

astros4545 said:

Me too.

Enter Whit...OK you got me. I couldn't even finish typing it.
First Page Last Page
Page 487 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.