****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,550 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kazmir was one I was thinking about as writing that, which is why I remembered to say I saw him
Harry Dunne
Great photo, cute kids. Nice to see life getting back to normal-ish
Poot
BMX Bandit said:

Poot said:

How much longer is Pujols on the books? That ended up being a MIGHTY anchor.

How so? They still signed several high price feee agents.

True, they did still sign some high priced guys... but I think it limited their flexibility year to year beyond the head-liners, did it not? They paid for 10 years of vintage Pujols... and they got 2-3 years of vintage production.
wangus12
AG
Poot said:

BMX Bandit said:

Poot said:

How much longer is Pujols on the books? That ended up being a MIGHTY anchor.

How so? They still signed several high price feee agents.

True, they did still sign some high priced guys... but I think it limited their flexibility year to year beyond the head-liners, did it not? They paid for 10 years of vintage Pujols... and they got 2-3 years of vintage production.
Barely
Harry Dunne
First 11 seasons with the Cardinals, 86 WAR

Next 10 & change with the Angels 14 WAR... seems like probably 13 of that against came the Astros. Last series someone posted they felt sorry for him and he immediately hits a grand slam.
Harry Dunne
Another thing is, now in the post-steroid era people can really fall off a cliff after age 30 just like they did in the pre-steroid era. I know that the shift got him a good bit, but I imagine if he were to have juiced he would have still had a very productive second half of his career.

I really hope Altuve's career trajectory is going to look a lot different, but you never know.
W
AG
yes, that's the general concern with all free agent players over the age of 30.

as we saw last series with the Giants...Evan Longoria...great player in his 20's, but once he got past 30...not very good or not worth the money
W
AG
Harry Dunne said:

First 11 seasons with the Cardinals, 86 WAR

Next 10 & change with the Angels 14 WAR... seems like probably 13 of that against came the Astros. Last series someone posted they felt sorry for him and he immediately hits a grand slam.

this is the mistake the Angels keep making over and over again. They pay a player based upon what he did for another franchise.

same deal with Justin Upton. Career WAR of 33.5 However with the Angels in 3+ years...WAR around 2.5

we'll see how things work out with Rendon
Harry Dunne
Sentimentality aside, whoever signs George is probably getting the same deal.
Marvin
AG
Random WAR stat:

Tucker has a career WAR of -0.3 (which inexplicably is even worse than Tyler White's 0.0). The good news is that he's one hot streak away from being Clint Frazier... or Frazier is one cold streak away from being Kyle Tucker. Two years apart but both were 5th overall picks in their respective drafts.

bearkatag15
AG

That's a blow to the Padres.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

That's a blow to the Padres.

So he gets surgery to remove it, is out six weeks to recover from surgery and doesn't really get a power stroke back for 6 months. AKA next season.
bluefire579
AG

Looks like the whole Clevinger thing is driving a bit of a wedge. Some snippets so y'all don't have to give ESPN more clicks:

Quote:

During a testy meeting Friday, Cleveland Indians players scolded teammates Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac for breaking protocol and going out in Chicago, and at least one player said he would opt out of the season if the two remained on the active roster, sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN.

Clevinger and Plesac, two-fifths of the Indians' rotation that has a major-league-best 2.43 ERA, were optioned to Cleveland's alternate site and will spend at least 10 days away from the major league team. While some teammates accepted their apologies and preferred they remain with the Indians, sources said, the anger over their actions was palpable enough to lead to the demotions -- ones that, if they last for a specific period of time, could have significant financial implications.

Indians players' disappointment centered not only on the decision made by Clevinger and Plesac to leave the team hotel in Chicago on Aug. 7 but also their actions afterward. Some players, sources said, believed Clevinger was not truthful with them about his involvement before he boarded the team plane Aug. 9. By then, Plesac, who had been caught trying to return to the hotel early on the morning of Aug. 8, had been sent back to Cleveland. His attempted explanation this week in an Instagram video during which he was driving further bothered teammates, sources said.

Quote:

Despite their production, 39-year-old left-handed reliever Oliver Perez said he would leave the team if Clevinger and Plesac returned to the roster in Detroit, sources familiar with the meeting said. Other players, sources said, felt similarly. Shortstop Francisco Lindor, the four-time All-Star considered the heart of the team, was outspoken as well, sources said.

The most critical issue, sources said, was the breach of trust. While Clevinger and Plesac have tested negative for COVID-19, the potential exposure of the team to the coronavirus -- including pitcher Carlos Carrasco, who was treated for leukemia last year -- frustrated the team.

Indians pitcher Adam Plutko, who joined the rotation after Clevinger and Plesac were put on the restricted list before their demotion, said last week: "They hurt us bad. They lied to us. They sat here, in front of you guys, and said things publicly that they didn't follow through on. It's gonna be up to them. It really is."

The financial implication he mentions is that based on the formula they're using for service time, it could leave Clevinger short of 4 years of service if he stays on assignment long enough.
W
AG
Clevinger is one of those guys...similar to Bauer...where his act just wears thin after a while...regardless of how well he's performing on the field
bearkatag15
AG

Whew... thank you
gif
bearkatag15 said:

Whew... thank you

Ag_07
AG
So here's the latest hit piece from Buster Olney

I'll quote it here so you don't have to click

Quote:

The Houston Astros' talented roster may soon become significantly less so.

Buster Olney of ESPN reported there is a perception the Astros are facing an "exodus" of stars due in large part to the reaction to the team's sign-stealing scandal. George Springer, Yuli Gurriel, Michael Brantley and Josh Reddick are all slated to become free agents this winter.

While it was unlikely the Astros would bring them all back under normal circumstances, players appear ready to rid themselves of the cheater label that's clouded the franchise's 2020 season.

Perceptions can changeespecially if the Astros back up a Brinks truck in negotiationsbut being on Houston's roster has not been an easy task in 2020. The Astros have been regularly plunked by opposing pitchers and gotten into multiple altercations that have led to suspensions, most recently a 20-game ban for bench coach Alex Cintron after a brawl with the A's.
bearkatag15
AG

Umm this is an awful lineup
Ag_07
AG
But at least Correa is finally moving up.
Mathguy64
AG
5 players below .200 and one more literally at .200. That's impressive.
Farmer1906
AG
Any line up with Springer, Bregman, Correa, and Altuve can't be awful.
W
AG
that's just garbage from Olney in so many aspects
W
AG
regarding the lineup...we've talked a lot about Tucker...

um, how about Toro making a contribution tonight
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Can someone explain to me why he's in the 2 hole?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Someone has to be? That's all I've got.

Also, 810 home game starts blow rocks.
Farmer1906
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

Someone has to be? That's all I've got.

Also, 810 home game starts blow rocks.

MaxPower
W said:

Who knows what is going on in the clubhouse. Considering they came clean and got their coach and GM fired, I'd be pretty pissed as a fan if they are then actively looking to get out of town because of the cheating stink they helped create. I can only hope Click is conducting due diligence to figure out who is looking to get out of dodge and shipping their ass out by 8/31. You don't need that in the locker room.
Marvin
AG
MaxPower said:

W said:

Who knows what is going on in the clubhouse. Considering they came clean and got their coach and GM fired, I'd be pretty pissed as a fan if they are then actively looking to get out of town because of the cheating stink they helped create. I can only hope Click is conducting due diligence to figure out who is looking to get out of dodge and shipping their ass out by 8/31. You don't need that in the locker room.

Preach, brother.
W
AG
the top 3 reasons all 4 free agents would leave:

1. big extension for Correa

2. Altuve & Bregman already in the $30 MM per year club

3. their respective ages
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

Umm this is an awful lineup
Tucker is going to ufcking mash one again tonight
bearkatag15
AG
We'll need him too. Hopefully Altuve and Correa are on base when he does
Ag_07
AG
The article is a load of shlt.

One of the big free agents he mentions wasn't even here in 2017. They haven't been getting plunked like he mentions. The Joe Kelly fiasco had to do with 2017 but the Laureno scrum had nothing to do with 2017. So what exactly is SO hard about being an Astros right now?

Don't buy the BS
agproducer
AG
Regarding the Olney article:

It's not a huge surprise the free agents would want to look to leave. They want to get paid. Bottom line. The rest of the stuff is just fueled by Olney's Yankees love.
Mathguy64
AG
St Louis won the first half of their DH today and are 5-4. They are officially in 2nd place a half game above the Brewers who have played 11 more games.
bearkatag15
AG
I'd be pissed if I was a Brewer fan.
First Page Last Page
Page 316 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.