****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,630,647 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Between Yuli, George, Josh, and Michael we have almost 58 M coming off the books.

Next year Correa (estimating 2021 arb), JV, and Greinke make another ~83 M coming off the books.

If Crane is willing to keep his payroll around where it is, he'll have money to spend to keep guys and get new ones.
Farmer1906
AG
Just to build on that we have the following key guys locked up for the next 4 seasons or more.

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Straw
Valdez
Urquidy
Javier
Paredes

This will be our core for the next several seasons. Click's job will be to add complementary pieces and be savvy like Jeff was in his signings and trades.
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Just to build on that we have the following key guys locked up for the next 4 seasons or more.

Altuve
Bregman
Alvarez
Tucker
Straw
Valdez
Urquidy
Javier
Paredes

This will be our core for the next several seasons. Click's job will be to add complementary pieces and be savvy like Jeff was in his signings and trades.

I'd add Bielak and Taylor to that list. Hopefully Correa as well
Farmer1906
AG
Yep, missed them. Scrubb too. Just such a small sample size on them all.
Deluxe
AG
We've also got Pedro Leon coming in to help with organizational depth in the outfield. He's 21 and has excelled against the highest level of Cuban competition, so he's more than just raw potential but hard to say how ready he'll be to make an impact next year.
Marvin
AG
That list will look a whole hell of a lot better if Tucker can flip the switch.
bearkatag15
AG
Deluxe said:

We've also got Pedro Leon coming in to help with organizational depth in the outfield. He's 21 and has excelled against the highest level of Cuban competition, so he's more than just raw potential but hard to say how ready he'll be to make an impact next year.
Excited about him. Hopefully we will still sign him. International signing got delayed this summer.
Deluxe
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Deluxe said:

Excited about him. Hopefully we will still sign him. International signing got delayed this summer.
I just opened the link for the top 30 international prospects and he's not on there anymore (was #3 before). Hope there wasn't a change of plans.
Farmer1906
AG
From today's mailbag:

Quote:

So whatever happened to (Pedro) Leon? Did the Astros ever sign him? Bryan T.

The Astros have not yet formally signed Leon because they haven't yet been permitted to do so. The start of the international signing period was pushed back from July 2 to Jan. 15 because of the pandemic.
https://theathletic.com/2000173/2020/08/17/astros-mailbag-on-the-trade-deadline-springers-future-and-whitleys-status/#
bearkatag15
AG
Dang that is a long time to wait still. Signing him is pretty important I think. He is basically our 1st round draft pick this season.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

From today's mailbag:

Quote:

The Astros have not yet formally signed Leon because they haven't yet been permitted to do so. The start of the international signing period was pushed back from July 2 to Jan. 15 because of the pandemic.
https://theathletic.com/2000173/2020/08/17/astros-mailbag-on-the-trade-deadline-springers-future-and-whitleys-status/#
Glad to hear Kaplan isn't aware of any snags
Beat40
Nothing to add to the ongoing conversation.

However, was thinking that I like Paredes a whole heck of a lot. I have enjoyed watching him pitch this far and hope he can keep it up as the book comes out on him. His personality combined with His ability make him extremely easy to root for.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Farmer1906 said:

From today's mailbag:

Quote:

Glad to hear Kaplan isn't aware of any snags

As soon as there is something wrong Chandler will let you know.
Farmer1906
AG
His stuff is fire. Ideal closer and high leverage type with his overpowering stuff. I think he's got the mental make up too. Even without Osuna, he and Pressly can make an elite duo. Add in Scrubb's filthy curve and we have our guys to shut the fort after the starter goes 6.
Ag_07
AG
As it stands right now Scrubb for Tyler White has turned out to be a nice trade.

Tyler isn't even in the league right now (playing in Korea) meanwhile Scrubb is looking like a key BP arm for the foreseeable future.
W
AG
tjack16 said:

True. I just don't feel comfortable at all going into 2021 with an Outfield of Straw, Tucker and a rookie or lower level FA
in this scenario, I'd say the Astros will make a 1-year contract offer to Reddick.

and then unfortunately have to overpay in free agency a little bit for a veteran centerfielder.

the FA market is supposed to be suppressed money-wise due to the COVID. That should help the Astros when it comes to signing mid-tier free agents
W
AG
regarding the DH spot going forward...with Yordan's knee trouble and Brantley's own recent injury...

that would seem to reduce the chances of the Astros making a significant offer to Brantley...who will turn 34 in 2021.

the situation seems similar to Jeff Kent's time with the Astros in 2003 & 2004. The 'stros got 2 really good seasons from him in his mid-30's, but then parted ways. Elected not to tempt fate with an even older player, although Kent did have another good season in 2005 with the Dodgers
BMX Bandit
Poot said:

How much longer is Pujols on the books? That ended up being a MIGHTY anchor.

How so? They still signed several high price feee agents.
iamtheglove
As others have said, I have been quite impressed by the young arms, though agree that the sample size is very small.

Between Framber, Urquidy, Javier, Paredes, Bielak, Scrubb and Taylor you have to think as they mature and refine their command that we'll have at minimum a number 3 (Javier?) 4 (Urquidy or Framber) and 5 (Bielak?) starter, a couple quality bullpen arms (Scrubb, Taylor) and a possible set up man or closer in Paredes.

I believe we will have control of all 7 for at least 6 years. If we get anything close to that performance from this pitching group it will really clear some dollars for critical signings like a true ace of the staff and outfielders.
Deluxe
AG
This may have already been discussed on here but assuming Osuna undergoes TJ and has to miss 2021, it seems almost certain that we non-tender him. That saves like ~$13-15 million that we would have otherwise had to bookmark for him. Possible that he's pitched his last game with the Astros cuz he's a FA after 2021.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Plus add if Abreau and Forrest can wake up
Harry Dunne
W said:

regarding the DH spot going forward...with Yordan's knee trouble and Brantley's own recent injury...

that would seem to reduce the chances of the Astros making a significant offer to Brantley...who will turn 34 in 2021.

the situation seems similar to Jeff Kent's time with the Astros in 2003 & 2004. The 'stros got 2 really good seasons from him in his mid-30's, but then parted ways. Elected not to tempt fate with an even older player, although Kent did have another good season in 2005 with the Dodgers

It was probably a lot easier letting Kent walk knowing Biggio was there to step back into 2b. Kent was also a notorious dick and aside from the plate production, I doubt anyone was too sad to see him go.

People on here have picked on Brantley's D, but his flaws go beyond the numbers. He's actually an outstanding fielder with an outstanding arm He has just lost a ton of range, which is mitigated by the short porch here. Aside from needing to rest/DH I think he's not much of a liability, at home at least.

It would be a lot easier to let him walk if Tucker can keep catching up to those inside fastballs.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
If we can't keep Springer I am 110% behind offering Brantley a year or two even if we have to pay up just a hair (nothing like Reddicks contract) but to get a more known asset as opposed to a flyer on a FA
WES2006AG
AG
W said:

In hindsight that 2005 team really could have used Jeff Kent, especially in the WS.
iamtheglove
cpsencik04 said:

Plus add if Abreau and Forrest can wake up
Agreed, especially if Forrest can slot in as a top of the rotation starter, your pitch8ng core looks really promising for the duration of the Altuve/Bregman/Yordan window that runs through 2024
Harry Dunne
And Beltran!
Ag_07
AG
At this point I'm just hoping Whitley becomes a decent productive middle rotation guy.

Hoping he'll be a top end starter is a tall ask and how is career has progressed so far is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Marvin
AG
Beat40 said:

Nothing to add to the ongoing conversation.

However, was thinking that I like Paredes a whole heck of a lot. I have enjoyed watching him pitch this far and hope he can keep it up as the book comes out on him. His personality combined with His ability make him extremely easy to root for.

My only issue with Paredes is his size. Listed at 5'-11" and 170 pounds. He throws with a ton of effort, so not sure if he can hold up long term.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

At this point I'm just hoping Whitley becomes a decent productive middle rotation guy.

Hoping he'll be a top end starter is a tall ask and how is career has progressed so far is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Agreed. If you told me right now we could pencil him in as a solid #3/4 starter for the life of his rookie deal, I'd sign up for that.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
One perk of that is that he is a reliever rather than a starter. But there have been many successful smaller pitchers.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
On a side note. Went to. Skeeters game with the family on Saturday and caught Kazmir pitching an inning. Huge throwback, he didn't look too bad. I was interested to see what his FB was clocked at, slider still looked pretty good though.

He did get smacked once but with a better left fielder it probably should have been caught. Either way he stranded the runner at second.
bearkatag15
AG
Did you notice any Astros scouts there though?
Harry Dunne
cpsencik04 said:

One perk of that is that he is a reliever rather than a starter. But there have been many successful smaller pitchers.
and speaking of Kazmir, he is a hard-throwing toothpick and even though he has been inconsistent and had injuries, his arm has held up pretty well over the long run. Got to be over 2000 IP professionally. Then Mark Prior built like a horse broke down pretty quick. I think it has to do more with technique and durability, which doesn't necessarily correlate with being thick.
Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

Did you notice any Astros scouts there though?

Maybe HE is the Astros scout!!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Funny you ask, I swear I saw Berkman there. As typical it's hard to really peg people in person when you've only seen them on TV. But I swear it was him.

I was tempted to ask which foot he steps with to throw the ball back after a pickoff but I decided to leave him alone.

Here a pic of my son and daughter with their buddy waiting to run the bases. Great set up they have there, wish it was on the North side
First Page Last Page
Page 315 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.