****2020 Official Houston Astros We Don't Have To Cheat To Beat You Season Thread****

1,632,586 Views | 30284 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Beat40
PSully97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Misplayed flyballs are rarely errors unless the glove was on it.

Which is why the error stat is flawed.
What is the best defensive stat(s)?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

W said:

Straw's defense in center has been so shockingly bad...the Astros will have to sign a veteran CF in the offseason (to replace George).

don't be surprised if Bradley jr. gets a hard look. He's a free agent after this season. Wonder how many years he would want

If we do lose George and Brantley then I'm fine with Bradley Jr if we don't get anybody in a trade. If Tucker could play center then that would solve some of our issues. Or if Alvarez was an everyday OF instead of DH. I know they are hoping Straw develops but I think he's still two years or so away from being an impact player (if he ever becomes one).

Ideally Tucker would move to a full time rightfielder so I'm guessing they work with him this offseason out there.
Straw just seems like Derek Fisher 2.0 to me. He's is a disaster of an outfield defender, does nothing at the plate, and is really only useful as a base-runner. Tucker is serviceable but doesn't seem to have much accuracy or power behind his throws. Alvarez seems to have the knees of a man twice his age. I don't understand why we didn't hold onto Jake other than him not having any options left. He could have filled one of the defensive spots next year quite well. We should have found a way to hold onto Laureano rather than trading him to the A's.

I think we have to bring back at least Brantley. Pay the man.
tjack16
AG
Yep we made a few questionable moves in regards to the outfield. Losing Brantley and Springer would be detrimental. We have to hold onto at least one of them.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Water is wet. Stanton is hurt. Karma is a *****.
Farmer1906
AG
PSully97 said:

Farmer1906 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Misplayed flyballs are rarely errors unless the glove was on it.

Which is why the error stat is flawed.
What is the best defensive stat(s)?

That's a tricky question because a lot of the defensive stats are flawed.

Baseball Savant has outs above average which is fairly new and seems to be pretty good. Their logic feels good to me.

Fan graphs uses DRS & UZR to look at runs saved and range.

Harry Dunne
EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

Straw's defense in center has been so shockingly bad...the Astros will have to sign a veteran CF in the offseason (to replace George).

don't be surprised if Bradley jr. gets a hard look. He's a free agent after this season. Wonder how many years he would want

If we do lose George and Brantley then I'm fine with Bradley Jr if we don't get anybody in a trade. If Tucker could play center then that would solve some of our issues. Or if Alvarez was an everyday OF instead of DH. I know they are hoping Straw develops but I think he's still two years or so away from being an impact player (if he ever becomes one).

Ideally Tucker would move to a full time rightfielder so I'm guessing they work with him this offseason out there.
Straw just seems like Derek Fisher 2.0 to me. He's is a disaster of an outfield defender, does nothing at the plate, and is really only useful as a base-runner. Tucker is serviceable but doesn't seem to have much accuracy or power behind his throws. Alvarez seems to have the knees of a man twice his age. I don't understand why we didn't hold onto Jake other than him not having any options left. He could have filled one of the defensive spots next year quite well. We should have found a way to hold onto Laureano rather than trading him to the A's.

We made the wrong choices on Laureano & JD Davis. Can't get em all right, but those are gonna sting for a while.
linkdude
AG
Letting McHugh walk sucked, but seems financials were tight this past off-season. He would at least be a veteran steady hand. I'm glad the rookies are stepping up so far.
bearkatag15
AG
Harry Dunne said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

We made the wrong choices on Laureano & JD Davis. Can't get em all right, but those are gonna sting for a while.
JD Davis was never going to play here. It was the right decision to move him for what they could get.
Panama Red
AG
linkdude said:

Letting McHugh walk sucked, but seems financials were tight this past off-season. He would at least be a veteran steady hand. I'm glad the rookies are stepping up so far.

Hard to be a steady hand from your couch hiding from the Rona
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude said:

He was hurt last year and his arm hasn't recovered. I think that had more to do with sitting out then rona if he took truth serum.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Harry Dunne said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

JD Davis was never going to play here. It was the right decision to move him for what they could get.

Neither was Laureano. Blocked by George and he never showed anything like this offensively in the minors. Laureano gets a lot of mileage out of that throw he made but he's a sub par outfielder defensively, By any metric you look at.

Interestingly enough he was traded straight up for a Brandon Bailey.
Harry Dunne
bearkatag15 said:

Harry Dunne said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

You don't think he'd be playing right now?

I'm not saying the organization should have known they were both going to be this good and all in all the personnel decisions have been good, but regardless it was the wrong choice.

Neither would have played as much early on as they did for their current teams, but being blocked is a matter of timing and whether it was a good decision or not is determined by what kind of player they turned out to be, not the kind of player they were or should have been expected to be.

Davis and Laureano are quality major league starting caliber players. So far Tucker, Straw, Toro etc are not. Hopefully that will change, but where we currently stand it was a bad choice.

Davis & Laureano would have both started plenty late last year and would be no doubt full-time starters right now. Not both of them together, but if we had kept either one they would be starting in the outfield - they are both better right now than Tucker or Reddick.
ClickClack
AG
Wouldn't mind having Kemp or Grossman back right now either. Our AAAA guys kinda suck.
bearkatag15
AG

Trying something different today
Teddy Perkins
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Trying something different today
Still not moving CC up?
Farmer1906
AG
This is getting g ridiculous. Tucker should not be leading off and Reddick should be not be in the 2 hole. They need to be in the 7th and 9th spots with Machete breaking them up. Carlos needs to bat in the top 4, especially if George is hurt.
bullard21k
AG
JD Davis sucked and we gave him ample opportunity to show us something. You can't just stockpile guys in AAA for half a decade
Mathguy64
AG
Josh Reddick isn't a 2 hole guy and the Lizard is an idiot. This hire is looking worse and worse.

Straw
Tuve
Bregman
Correa
Brantley
Yuli
Tucker
Machete
Reddick
bearkatag15
AG

#freeyordan
Mathguy64
AG
This lineup has a huge Cuban Missile launcher hole in it.
Marvin
AG
bearkatag15 said:

#freeyordan

Don't believe the part about Diaz. He'll get hurt on the drive from Corpus. I'm not falling for that trick again.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

bearkatag15 said:

Harry Dunne said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

I'm not saying the organization should have known they were both going to be this good and all in all the personnel decisions have been good, but regardless it was the wrong choice.

Neither would have played as much early on as they did for their current teams, but being blocked is a matter of timing and whether it was a good decision or not is determined by what kind of player they turned out to be, not the kind of player they were or should have been expected to be.

Davis and Laureano are quality major league starting caliber players. So far Tucker, Straw, Toro etc are not. Hopefully that will change, but where we currently stand it was a bad choice.

Davis & Laureano would have both started plenty late last year and would be no doubt full-time starters right now. Not both of them together, but if we had kept either one they would be starting in the outfield - they are both better right now than Tucker or Reddick.

Davis would have played last year....not a glowing endorsement since we lost Carlos and then Diaz had to move our third baseman to SS

Where exactly do you think he would be starting right now?
-In front of Bregman
-In front of Correa
-In front of Altuve
-In front of Yuli
-Moved to the outfield.....I don't get where you think he would be starting on the team.
Mathguy64
AG
Cards are MIA again. They are still stuck on 5 and others will be playing games 16 today with no indication of coming back any time soon. Declare them done, tell the players they don't get payed and fine the team a massive chunk. In the millions.
Farmer1906
AG
Or they play their back up team until the big leaguers figure it out.
Farmer1906
AG
Would we be better off to just say half the team had Covid until we get healthy so we don't have to play our rookies and back ups.
Ag_07
AG
Correa sitting the 6 hole being protected by Tucker, Straw, and Machete.

Fck me
BCSGrubber
AG
Is there a potential date where the Astros would keep another year of control on Yordan?
Harry Dunne
bullard21k said:

JD Davis sucked and we gave him ample opportunity to show us something. You can't just stockpile guys in AAA for half a decade
We gave him 180 ABs and he doesn't suck anymore. We kept the guys that suck.
Harry Dunne
cpsencik04 said:

Harry Dunne said:

bearkatag15 said:

Harry Dunne said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

W said:

Davis would have played last year....not a glowing endorsement since we lost Carlos and then Diaz had to move our third baseman to SS

Where exactly do you think he would be starting right now?
-In front of Bregman
-In front of Correa
-In front of Altuve
-In front of Yuli
-Moved to the outfield.....I don't get where you think he would be starting on the team.
you don't think a guy that has hit about .310 w 25 HR in his last 450 ABs would be starting in the outfield for us?

I'm not saying they should've had a crystal ball and known to keep him - he was obviously the lesser regarded prospect but some of you guys will revise history to any lengths to make this not appear to be a mistake.
cap-n-jack
Ag_07 said:

Correa sitting the 6 hole being protected by Tucker, Straw, and Machete.

Fck me

Why does Dusty do this? Some of you guys who pay more attention than me, has he ever talked about the way he assembles the card?
PSully97
AG
The way J.D. Davis has hit you could make an argument for him to start anywhere he has played as well as DH. He is also under team control until 2025. That would be really nice in the coming years when we have to spend to keep our studs.

Why can't you stockpile AAA players? It's not like we have anyone nipping at their heels.
astros4545
AG
No

The clock ticks non stop the moment he was brought up last June
Mathguy64
AG
But because of the covid shortened season him being on a restricted list until after a certain point will cost him a year of time. Or basically not count it towards FA. That date has already passed though. A player needs 62 days this year either on the IL or active roster to get their year credited and Yordan didn't make it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Making that comparison though is just as much of revisionist history.

The players I listed he would not have played in front of. Same with our reigning Rookie of the Year DH. Then move to our outfield, which he isn't actually an outfielder, our top OF product hasn't broken into play daily but you think a 3B playing outfield should have been playing.

Sometimes guys get traded because they're blocked not because they aren't good.
PSully97
AG
I'm not sure you understand what revisionist history means, if you think that's what I'm doing.
First Page Last Page
Page 247 of 866

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.