*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,039,778 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Big Cat `93
AG
This Rome character is shameless.

I made the mistake of reading one of his game reports last year. It took him four or five paragraphs to get to the score of the game. Yeah, I know, sports apps, ESPN tickers, yada yada. But still. Enough with the Red Smith impressions.
Jackal99
AG
He also needs a ****ing haircut.
k20dub
AG
Anyone want to scroll through his twitter to find an old vaguely racist tweet? It's 2020, let's cancel this mofo.
Ag_07
AG
Just use that one

What do you mean by Dusty Baker doesn't know his players? Why would a black manager not know his players very well?
aTm2004
AG
Hulla Baller
AG
aTm2004 said:

Is this real? Please tell me it's a joke...
Marvin
AG
Looks like James and Valdez both stunk it up today. Reddick is 1-for-Florida so far, and Altuve isn't far behind.

(My reverse jinx worked well for TED, so I'm just spreading a bit of the wealth to get these guys going before coming home).
Deluxe
AG
Marvin said:

Looks like James and Valdez both stunk it up today.
Ugh. This is not a good development. Looks like Abreu hit two batters today too. We really need those three to step it up this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Quote:

28) Houston Astros
2019 preseason rank: 6
2019 midseason rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects: Forrest Whitley, RHP (No. 19)
Top 2020 rookie: Jose Urquidy, RHP
Graduates and trades have severely thinned out the Astros system, but it's hard to argue with the big league success they've created.
Weird seeing us this low.

We ended up with Grienke, Verlander, Osuna, Pressly via trade and brought up the ROY so its hard to argue that our system isn't working. We need a few more key guys to work out - Tucker; 1 or 2 of Whitley, Urquidly, Abreau; Lee (in a year or two); 1 of the next batch of pitchers (Ivey, Javier, etc).
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

28) Houston Astros
2019 preseason rank: 6
2019 midseason rank: unranked
Top 100 Prospects: Forrest Whitley, RHP (No. 19)
Top 2020 rookie: Jose Urquidy, RHP
Graduates and trades have severely thinned out the Astros system, but it's hard to argue with the big league success they've created.
Weird seeing us this low.

We ended up with Grienke, Verlander, Osuna, Pressly via trade and brought up the ROY so its hard to argue that our system isn't working. We need a few more key guys to work out - Tucker; 1 or 2 of Whitley, Urquidly, Abreau; Lee (in a year or two); 1 of the next batch of pitchers (Ivey, Javier, etc).

The system worked exactly as planned. 2017-2020 set up perfectly because of the system, through promotion and trade assets. The only problem is that we now have a gaping hole between Houston and our next batch of potential impact talent. The caveat is relief pitchers, as we might have a couple of those, otherwise I'm not sure Houston has anyone in AA/AAA close to the talent for anything more than a 10-day emergency filler.

Again, I'm not complaining. The system worked the way Luhnow wanted, but this is the eventual fallout.
redline248
AG
The thing we'll never know is how he would have addressed the current farm situation. Click has some work ahead of him. Being in contender mode for probably the next 2 years (at least) likely means we don't trade for prospects.

Is that what the Yankees felt like in the late 90s/00s?
Farmer1906
AG

TED is the next Jeff Bagwell.
Deluxe
AG
Thing of beauty. TED makes everything look smooth and effortless. Glad he chose baseball because he probly could have been an all star in any other sport.
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Thing of beauty. TED makes everything look smooth and effortless. Glad he chose baseball because he probly could have been an all star in any other sport.
So true. He could be an NBA 3 point Champion, 1000 yards wide out, or have a gold medal in curling.
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Step back from the fence Chandler

I need a 100ft restraining order from all our players
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
k20dub
AG
Obligatory

n_touch
Seems this could have been started earlier than now
redline248
AG
Hot take alert.

All he needs to be able to do is catch the ball with his foot on the bag. If he routinely fails to catch throws in the dirt he won't be playing.

Besides, look at that lineup.
Marvin
AG
Have the Astros played the Nats as the home team yet? Seems like every game is as the visitors... not that it matters, but it bugs me for some reason. Also, I've yet to see us field a lineup against Washington not stocked full of minor leaguers. Again, doesn't matter but I suffered through two days of heckling by the Nats fans in West Palm and I'm still raw over it. Would be nice (even if total irrelevant) to shut them up for a day.

File this under "stupid reasons to be pissed on a Wednesday."

Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

https://climbingtalshill.com/2020/03/10/astros-myles-straw-starting-right-fielder/

Straw pushing Ted to first???
tjack16
AG
Houston Rodeo getting cancelled. Wonder what this will mean for the Astros moving forward. I would have never thought the city of Houston would let the rodeo get cancelled
Mathguy64
AG
I would not be shocked to see opening day games behind closed doors.
CFTXAG10
AG
mathguy86 said:

I would not be shocked to see opening day games behind closed doors.
Raffle off one seat per section
bearkatag15
AG
Mr.Ackar07
bearkatag15 said:

All the guys link up and play online:

TREX01
MLB having discussions about moving the start of the season back to May 1. Stay tuned.
Teddy Perkins
AG
TREX01 said:

MLB having discussions about moving the start of the season back to May 1. Stay tuned.
Should be enough time for JV to recover.
the last of the bohemians
So if we win the World Series in a 130 game season, would that be an asterisk?
n_touch
I dont mind my WS to have asterisks. Those are the ones that come with saltiest tears
tjack16
AG
TREX01 said:

So dumb
MaxPower
I'm not sure there's much point moving the Mariners series. Another city likely to have the same issue in 3 weeks. MLB just needs to commit to no fans in ballpark if necessary.
Farmer1906
AG
Is it not as simple as no sick people should be going to games or any large events?
htxag09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Is it not as simple as no sick people should be going to games or any large events?

How do you regulate that? That's the "rule" all the time, yet sick people go to work, school, events, etc daily. Also, you may have it and can spread it but not be showing signs you're sick.
First Page Last Page
Page 187 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.