*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,073,548 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Prime0882
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night's loss sucks, so I want to preface this question not as an over-reaction to that, but what are y'alls thoughts about the possibility the front office drama is seeping into the clubhouse and causing discontent?

I read the front office culture is pretty cutthroat, AJ Hinch may or may not be unhappy, and friggin Cole immediately swapped over to a Scott Boris hat and may have told a reporter he's no longer obligated to talk to them since he's no longer an Astro (could have been in a joking manner, I don't know).
KC_Ag14
AG
Cromagnum said:

Astros sunrise this morning.
The night is always darkest before the dawn. Our window is nowhere near closing. In Luhnow We Trust.
wessimo
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Page 1.

What will our new hashtag be? I liked #takeitback

How about #beenJuanSoto

#actuallytakeitbackthistime
JABQ04
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Got to see the World Series in Houston again after a decade and a half.

2017?
JABQ04
AG
Astros/LA WS 2020

#forealsthistime
KC_Ag14
AG
#RunItBack
Pahdz
eATMup-Reveille said:

Trade Correa, sign Rendon and move Bergman to shortstop.

Never happen but fun to think about
Mathguy64
AG
Might as well watchlist it.

Man what a painful day.
Big Al 1992
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

Position players

Infield
Altuve - $23.4M
Bregman - $20M
Correa ~ $9.5M
Yuli - $9.5M
Diaz ~ $2.5M
Toro - $500K

Straw - $500K
Yordan - $500K

Outfield
Brantley - $16M
Josh Reynolds - $13M
Springer $21.4M
Jake ~ $3M
Tucker - $500K

We are at $120M in position players and that can't really go up this year unless it is to lock down Springer.

Must have 2 catchers and I don't think either come from our farm system. I am hopeful we can move Josh to free up some salary, I don't see us needing to do much else in the offseason concerning position players outside of some farm system replenishment.

Ha! Reynolds/Reddick! Seriously it wasn't that long ago Reddick's $13M was one of the top 3 salaries in the team. Crazy!
Marvin
AG
Hot take:

Address the offensive philosophy, possibly to include Citron being replaced. We scored mostly on home runs, and the playoff balls put a big dent in that plan.
Plate discipline and approach was horrendous.

Hotter take:

Trade Correa this offseason.
Nino Brown
I know some of you are pissed at CC right now but I'd prefer that Tuve, Bregs,Springer and CC stay together for a long time. Couple with Alvarez continued development and I'll take my chance being competitive and right there in it for awhile while making constant improvements on the hill as best as possible.
Ags #1
AG
We all want cole but no way the salaries work out. Lol. I read that as gc not cc
iBrad
AG
We had the fewest strikeouts and most walks in all of baseball. We were also tops in average, OBP, slugging, and obviously, OPS. We were second in extra base hits. There is nothing wrong with our offensive philosophy.

The worst you could do is to make knee jerk reactions based on the post season. Yes, stranding runners was frustrating for everyone, but there is no magic philosophy that leads to sequencing hits together.
Nino Brown
Ags #1 said:

We all want cole but no way the salaries work out. Lol. I read that as gc not cc
After last night? I don't want Cole at all no matter the cost. Those four built this, a ring does nothing for me. But watching those four great guys play together as long as possible mean a little more.
W
AG
I would offer Yuli 2 years for $24 MM and see if he would take it.

his payroll salary next year is $8.4 MM. (luxury tax amount for the Astros is $9.5 MM)

so $12 MM would be a significant pay raise. Might even offer 2 years for $26 MM
Ag12thman
AG
Yeah, bad start to thread, OP. We DID make it to the World Series. That's more than 28 other teams can say.
k20dub
AG
Unfortunately in.
ClickClack
AG
Aggie Pharmer
AG
In
The Milkman
AG
Nino Brown said:

Ags #1 said:

After last night? I don't want Cole at all no matter the cost. Those four built this, a ring does nothing for me. But watching those four great guys play together as long as possible mean a little more.
uh... what?
Nino Brown
The Milkman said:

Nino Brown said:

Ags #1 said:

After last night? I don't want Cole at all no matter the cost. Those four built this, a ring does nothing for me. But watching those four great guys play together as long as possible mean a little more. You do realize realize the actual difference between our 2015-2017 squads versus this year right?
uh... what?
You heard me. Baseball is a finicky sport and anyone who would wear his agents hat right after a game is the kind of character that destroys a clubhouse long term. The Nats were playing together and you could see how tight they were. When you have clubs pushing each other through struggles at the plate or on the mound it actually shows in the playoffs. They never gave up because they were constantly picking each other up and were a tighter group throughout the entire playoffs.
Cromagnum
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Page 1.

What will our new hashtag be? I liked #takeitback

How about #beenJuanSoto

How about #BringitBat, since apparently we forgot how.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I didnt finish reading the season thread and dont plan to, so I might have missed this being discussed, have we heard anything more about the rumor of cole saying he doesnt work for the team etc, did it get captured on film...how long after the game was the interview wearing the boras hat? Most of these guys dont usually clean up, take showers and then wear their gear home....so it could very well be reading into it a bit to build the off season story lines for the MLB
Marvin
AG
iBrad said:

We had the fewest strikeouts and most walks in all of baseball. We were also tops in average, OBP, slugging, and obviously, OPS. We were second in extra base hits. There is nothing wrong with our offensive philosophy.

The worst you could do is to make knee jerk reactions based on the post season. Yes, stranding runners was frustrating for everyone, but there is no magic philosophy that leads to sequencing hits together.

Well, by definition a "hot take" is something that has an element of ridiculousness to it. Maybe I should have been more clear on that. I do think their playoff approach is up for criticism, though, whether they replace a coach over it or not.
bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-insider-Scenes-of-heartbreak-and-Cole-14610152.php

Quote:

"The last three times I've been in the bullpen, we've lost every game and our seasons ended twice, so it was not that much fun," Cole said.

He dressed quickly after the game, hoping to jet out, to put the upsetting loss behind him. He also wanted to avoid questions about his upcoming free agency. Eligible players can file for free agency one day after the World Series, but Cole began acting like his relationship with the Astros was over.
A cluster of media migrated toward Cole. Cole loudly cussed, unhappy about the looming obligation.
Astros players regularly head over to stand in front of a clubhouse wall that is painted with the team logo and designated for postgame interviews. Media relations director Gene Dias told Cole that he could give interviews in front of his locker and that "you don't have to" do them in front of the wall.
"I don't have to do it?" Cole replied.

"No," Dias said, "you don't have to do it over there."

"I don't have to do it at all?" Cole reiterated, more forceful, with dozens of reporters looking at him.
At first, Cole's persistence seemed comical. It was understandable that a player on the losing end of Game 7 would not be thrilled to take questions.

But Cole held his glare. He was not kidding.

"I mean, I'm not employed," Cole said. "I'm not employed."

"We would like for you to do it, but it's your call," Dias said.

Cole grudgingly obliged and said: "All right, as an affiliate of myself."

He wore a cap with the insignia of his agent, Scott Boras, who is expected to demand a contract worth more than $200 million for Cole this winter, while the Astros are expected not to match such an offer.
Cole spoke about his two seasons with the Astros in the past tense, which was grammatically correct but set a melancholy tone.

"A lot of good friendships," he said. "Learned a lot about pitching from my teammates, from my pitching coaches and staff, learned a lot more about the game from A.J., and it was just a pleasure to play in the city of Houston."

He added that he has not thought much about his future in Houston.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

He also wanted to avoid questions about his upcoming free agency.

I'm calling BS

He wore the hat of his agent on it. What was he expecting to get questions on?

Still thing that was a bltch move.

Hope he enjoys playing in front of 15,000 Angels fans every night and watching the playoffs from his couch.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Quote:

He also wanted to avoid questions about his upcoming free agency.

I'm calling BS

He wore the hat of his agent on it. What was he expecting to get questions on?

Still thing that was a bltch move.

He was just making the night of bad decisions complete.
wangus12
AG
mathguy86 said:

Might as well watchlist it.

Man what a painful day.
I've had my office tv on the Golf Channel all day so I don't see anything about last night
iBrad
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Damage control.
Big Al 1992
AG
No surprise. We will be back.

"The latest 2020 World Series odds have this year's runner-up Houston Astros as 4-to-1 favorites to win it all, with the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees behind Houston with 5-to-1 odds."
Ag12thman
AG
It could be a lot worse, y'all. We could have lost to the LAST THREE World Series champions and also had to watch 2 of the last 3 champions celebrate on our home field.

In other words, we could be the Dodgers.
iBrad
AG
In our last four playoff appearances, we've either won the World Series or lost to the team that won the World Series, with two coming on our own field. It's that 2017 win that makes it all sting a little less.
bearkatag15
AG

Not likely an option if he will get a large contract. Doubt we have the room to spend big on a catcher
03_Aggie
I feel like Cole was outspoken last offseason as it related to the treatment of free agents last year. How long the "high-end" ones had to wait to get FMV contracts. He's a player's player and feels that owners are makin more money than ever and players aren't getting a fair cut.

His actions don't surprise me all that much.
Last Page
Page 2 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.