*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,298 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
spadilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
bearkatag15
AG
Odds on resigning each?:

Robinson Chirinos - 75%
Gerrit Cole - 0.0%
Will Harris - 90%
Martin Maldonado - 25%
Collin McHugh - 20%
Wade Miley - 40%
Hector Rondon - 10%
Joe Smith - 60%

Thoughts?
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag_07
AG
That's probably pretty spot on.

I'd say a bit higher on McHugh. I think his injuries, his affinity for Strom, and his chance at increasing his value point toward him being back on a 1 or 2 year deal.

That gives him some time to reestablish himself and hit the market after he rebounds a bit.
KC_Ag14
AG
Agree with Ag_07 - about the ranges I'd look at for each. Honestly, as crazy as it might sound, I think it's greater than 90% on Will Harris being back. Know he's the big victim from last night, but the guy was nails for us. The pitch hit out was not a bad pitch either.
iBrad
AG
I'd like to resign Harris and Smith. The others either aren't happening or just don't do much for me. We do probably need to bring back one of the catchers, though.
bearkatag15
AG

Here are all of the FAs from each team.
bearkatag15
AG
Free Agents sorted by position:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-free-agents-by-position
Prosperdick
AG
Just remember off-season sucks and we delayed it as much as possible...tomorrow is November 1st so we've gone 4-6 weeks more than your average team (longer if you count back to playoff elimination).

Pitchers and catchers will report before you know it.
Mr.Bond
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

Trade Correa, sign Rendon and move Bergman to shortstop.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

W said:

it will be interesting to see if the Astros extend Springer.

also wonder if the front office might float a small extension to Yuli to get him under contract thru 2021. Just in case Tucker or Yordan can't pick up the first base position
I would love to have Yuli through 2022 (he would be 38), just not sure $12 - $15MM annually is realistic with the rest of the salaries and his age. I don't see Yordan developing into a decent defensive 1st baseman, so I think the options beyond next season will be Diaz, Tucker, Toro or a prospect.

Personally, I think Toro/Diaz are backups for Correa and Straw is an everyday outfielder in 2021 with Brantley, Reddick, and Springer all hitting free agency at end of next year.

I don't see straw ever being an everyday player.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
W said:

I would offer Yuli 2 years for $24 MM and see if he would take it.

his payroll salary next year is $8.4 MM. (luxury tax amount for the Astros is $9.5 MM)

so $12 MM would be a significant pay raise. Might even offer 2 years for $26 MM

Yuli is not a guy we can lose. He may very well be my favorite player on the team...
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Assistant-interpreter-Oz-Ocampo-leave-Astros-14677139.php

Quote:

Special assistant to GM/interpreter Oz Ocampo leaving Astros

During his six-year run as the Astros' director of international operations, Ocampo was key in the scouting and signings of touted Cuban prospects Yuli Gurriel and Cionel Perez. Rookie righty Jose Urquidy signed out of Mexico, too, and now seems destined to enter the Astros' 2020 rotation.

Framber Valdez, Franklin Perez, Jorge Alcala and Gilberto Celestino were also signed during Ocampo's tenure. Perez was part of the deal to acquire Justin Verlannder while Alcala and Celestino were shipped to the Twins in exchange for All-Star setup man Ryan Pressly.

Before joining the Astros in 2012, Ocampo worked with the Cardinals from 2005-09 coinciding with Luhnow and had a one-year stint at Major League Baseball from 2011-12.
Ocampo's departure leaves Kevin Goldstein as the Astros' only special assistant to the general manager. After Brandon Taubman was fired last week, Luhnow has only one assistant general manager, the recently-promoted Pete Putila.

This could be a pretty big loss
bearkatag15
AG
Don't mean to keep bringing this up, but here is video of what went down with Cole just prior to the interview:

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Man... Cole really showed his ass last night.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/yankees-decline-edwin-encarnacions-option.html

Yankees decline option on EE
Ag12thman
AG
Yeah - wow, that's not a good look.
Bregxit
AG
bearkatag15 said:

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Assistant-interpreter-Oz-Ocampo-leave-Astros-14677139.php

Quote:

Special assistant to GM/interpreter Oz Ocampo leaving Astros

During his six-year run as the Astros' director of international operations, Ocampo was key in the scouting and signings of touted Cuban prospects Yuli Gurriel and Cionel Perez. Rookie righty Jose Urquidy signed out of Mexico, too, and now seems destined to enter the Astros' 2020 rotation.

Framber Valdez, Franklin Perez, Jorge Alcala and Gilberto Celestino were also signed during Ocampo's tenure. Perez was part of the deal to acquire Justin Verlannder while Alcala and Celestino were shipped to the Twins in exchange for All-Star setup man Ryan Pressly.

Before joining the Astros in 2012, Ocampo worked with the Cardinals from 2005-09 coinciding with Luhnow and had a one-year stint at Major League Baseball from 2011-12.
Ocampo's departure leaves Kevin Goldstein as the Astros' only special assistant to the general manager. After Brandon Taubman was fired last week, Luhnow has only one assistant general manager, the recently-promoted Pete Putila.

This could be a pretty big loss
I believe he was key in identifying Yordan to the organization and pushing Lunhow to get him from the Dodgers when he could.
Alex Bregman
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Don't mean to keep bringing this up, but here is video of what went down with Cole just prior to the interview:

Yea, I get being pissed off about the loss, but the way he approached that just ain't right.
Frok
AG
So disappointed in Cole. I don't care that he is going to try to get a max contract but don't treat us like an ex girlfriend 5 minutes after it ends.
Ag_07
AG
What's ironic with Cole's antics is how pro player he is

We hear all the time the players don't like being treated as a commodity. They don't like that young guys get held down in AAA to get extra control. They don't like the QOs inhibiting them.

Yet here he is at the very first chance he gets selling himself as a commodity. Just like a salesman would a product.

Well if he wants to take that route then I have no hard feelings in telling him thanks for the wins and good riddance. Now go rot in LAA or SD.
redline248
AG
I will allow Cole a pass for that coming on the heels of a game 7 loss in which he never had a chance to help the team. I also will assume he regrets how he handled that, but I don't think it's a big deal.
agproducer
AG
Here's my take on the Cole situation:

He was about to get out the door, was pissed off about the loss, pissed off about not being used and reporters were surrounding him, wanting to ask questions. He obviously was going through some stuff -- knowing that it was a last game with those teammates. Emotions were high after a Game 7 loss. He was trying to get the reporters to leave him alone and chose the wrong way to go about it.

Cooler heads prevailed today with his statement.

He could have handled it better, but how would have any one of us felt if something we'd worked for all our lives was so close, then we didn't get there, and seconds later had someone in our faces demanding you answer questions? He's been a good teammate all year, forged relationships with teammates. I'd cut him some slack on this one.

On the FA list of pitchers, I'd look for the likes of Alex Wood or Michael Wacha.

For RP, look at Tony Cingrani, Cody Allen and Addison Reed. Imagine what Strom can do with those guys.
redline248
AG
I would love to add Wacha...what kind of spin rates does he have
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Odds on resigning each?:

Robinson Chirinos - 75%
Gerrit Cole - 0.0%
Will Harris - 90%
Martin Maldonado - 25%
Collin McHugh - 20%
Wade Miley - 40%
Hector Rondon - 10%
Joe Smith - 60%

Thoughts?
I'd like to re-sign Harris, Chirinos, Miley, McHugh and Smith

Let Rondon and Maldonado walk
Ag_07
AG
I would agree if it was just the comments made in the heat of the moment.

He wore a Boras hat that he brought with him. He knew if they win he'd wear the WS hat but if they lost he'd sport the Boras hat.

It was a punk bltch move.
Deluxe
AG
Big question of the offseason: Will Cole holdout until June and cost us our comp pick?
WES2006AG
AG
Deluxe said:

Big question of the offseason: Will Cole holdout until June and cost us our comp pick?

Can't imagine he is going to turn down the Yankees offer of $45 million through the 2036 season.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Cole's voice sounds like kermit the frog. I said this before I though he was a DB
ccaggie05
AG
I don't care that he didn't want to talk to the media, and I can understand an emotional response to a bunch of media folks coming up to you in the locker room just after a devastating loss like this. Sure, he probably should have handled that bit better, but that's not a big deal.

What is a big deal and slap in the face in my opinion is the Boras hat. That hat didn't just appear out of thin air. He made a conscious, and likely pre-planned, decision to put that on minutes after the season was over. It's hard not to take that as a slight to the organization and team mates that not only got him to a World Series, but also turned him from a good pitcher with lots of potential into an elite pitcher who is about to break records with his FA contract.

At the end of the day it just sucks that is how many of us will remember him going out. Makes it hard to root for him in the future.
Deluxe
AG

I guess he's not going to the Mets after all. Hinch to the Mets might be the worst rumor of all time.
W
AG
regarding Miley...I trust the front office is going to take a real hard look at what happened to him in September...and decide if that was just a one-off thing or a significant issue for the future
W
AG
looking at the free agent catchers...don't laugh...but would the team consider bringing back Jason Castro.

had a .767 OPS last season in 237 at-bats. Struck out a ton, but did not hit into a GiDP
W
AG
Wacha at age 28 is one of the youngest free agent pitchers -- starter or reliever
03_Aggie
https://m.chron.com/local/article/Amy-Cole-fires-back-at-upset-fan-defending-her-14687442.php

Quote:

Cole then responded, "If you've watched his post-game interviews before tonight, you'd know he's been wearing that hat throughout the season."

So maybe this is much ado about nothing. His comments may have been more geared to not wanting to talk after the loss and trying to claim "unemployment" as a reason to not have to comply with any MLB media requirements.
bearkatag15
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.