*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,031,469 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was looking at the schedule next season. Check out who we open with.... LAA

Could be Cole vs JV

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
AustinCountyAg
Good riddance to Gerrit Cole. I don't want that kinda selfish bull**** on the Astros. Like 07 said go to Cali, enjoy your money, and enjoy October sitting on the couch.

That whole scene last night was pre mediated. Not a doubt in my mind.
the last of the bohemians
No , Cole had a Ricky Vaughn moment, simply competitive spirit got best of him.....I like that in a pitcher
03_Aggie
AustinCountyAg said:

Good riddance to Gerrit Cole. I don't want that kinda selfish bull**** on the Astros. Like 07 said go to Cali, enjoy your money, and enjoy October sitting on the couch.

That whole scene last night was pre mediated. Not a doubt in my mind.

This is why you always take the money.
agdaddy04
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Was looking at the schedule next season. Check out who we open with.... LAA

Could be Cole vs JV

Yep, and I know it's just spring training but our first game is 2/22 against Washington
Harry Dunne
KC_Ag14 said:

Cromagnum said:

Astros sunrise this morning.
The night is always darkest before the dawn. Our window is nowhere near closing. In Luhnow We Trust.
This is like the "definition of insanity". The night is not darkest before the dawn. There is appearance of light before sunrise.

But I agree, we will have a good shot again in 2020.
Thinice
162-0 coming up!!!!!!!
MaxPower
I'm going to predict one of Yuli, Springer and Correa is not in an Astros uniform next year.
Diyala Nick
AG
If we win the AL next year and lose the world series in dramatic fashion you can count me as a very satisfied Astros fan.
Ags #1
AG
So we are trading one of them?
Mr.Bond
AG
MaxPower said:

I'm going to predict one of Yuli, Springer and Correa is not in an Astros uniform next year.

Yuli and Springer will 10000 percent be on the opening day roster. Correa 98 percent
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Yuli needs to be extended

He's the future at 1B. We've got no one lined up to takeover and Yuli has turned himself into an elite defender and solid, consistent offensive producer.

I actually think extending him is up there on the list right behind George
agdaddy04
AG
MaxPower said:

Sure hope you're wrong
n_touch
How far into the future? Can't be more than a year or two
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
My real number 1 offseason want: a Richardson hat with an astros logo on it.
Nino Brown
I'm sorry to tell you guys this but that's straight BS. Has anyone seen that goofy ass hat on him before? I doubt it just sits in his locker all year. I think the guy is amazing, good family man and a hell of a competitor but I call bull***** I don't give a damn if he's mad about a club not knowing if they can afford him or not or if AJ made a mistake. His numbers climbed when he got here not by chance and a little respect to the organization, the fans that love him and the other guys in the clubhouse isn't too much to ask.
Ag_07
AG
I'd do 3

Yeah he's 36 but he only has 2.5 ML seasons. He doesn't have a lot tread on him for a 36 year old.

Plus I think his game translates to being able play a good while. He doesn't rely on his speed, quick bat, or raw power.

If they don't extend him or do it for shorter than 3 years they better get on finding a 1Bman because it's a black hole in the organization.
astros4545
AG
Ag_07 said:

He's the future at 1B. We've got no one lined up to takeover and Yuli has turned himself into an elite defender and solid, consistent offensive producer.

Yuli is 35 years old
AggiEE
Realistic Off-season wishlist:

1. Trade Reddick, start Tucker
2. Re-sign Harris, Smith, Chirinos, Maldonado.
3. Get 1 low key but undervalued starter and some bull pen support.

Stretch Goals:

4. Have Daddy Warbucks Pay Cole his money
5. Trade Correa for an extremely lucrative haul
6. Hinch The Hinch in a bizarre coach for player swap

Hopes:

7. Rookie talent steps it up next season - Alvarez continues to rake and becomes proficient in the field, Tucker improves our position at RF, Whitley matures and gets called up around June, Urquidy continues to improve and becomes a reliable starter or bullpen guy

We honestly don't have to do very much. Our offense is very talented but completely bipolar and scared of the moment. I don't know how you go about fixing that, and I really hope our devastating loss doesn't completely kill our spirit in 2020.
bearkatag15
AG
I'd like to get younger at catcher. Signing Chirinos is good but the 2 catcher id like to get younger than mid 30's

Someone like Travis d'Arnaud or Austin Romine
AggiEE
bearkatag15 said:

I'd like to get younger at catcher. Signing Chirinos is good but the 2 catcher id like to get younger than mid 30's

Someone like Travis d'Arnaud or Austin Romine

I know that everyone complains about the catcher spot but there really aren't a whole lot of great options out there

It's not really a spot where you can expect a big offensive improvement. If we could grab Grandal I think that would be pretty awesome but he's the only real standout improvement imho, and unfortunately he's going to cost upwards of 20 million which is a huge overpay compared to our other options. I think that kind of money is better served elsewhere

If not him then Chirinos and Maldonado are willing to sign a cheap deal to be on a competitive team again.
bearkatag15
AG
This is pretty funny

agsquirrel97
AG
Wow we are done with Oakland on July 28, 2 full months before the end of the season.

That is weird for the obvious 1-2 division favorites to play almost all their games before the all star break.
bearkatag15
AG
Check out August/September. Pretty much a breeze until the final 7 games. That'll be the toughest 7 game stretch of the season and it comes right before the post season
Nino Brown
2020 WS Game 7.

Grienke vs Cole

Astros 5 Dodgers 4

JV comes into the game in the 7th to close it out.

#forloveofthehat
agsquirrel97
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Check out August/September. Pretty much a breeze until the final 7 games. That'll be the toughest 7 game stretch of the season and it comes right before the post season
You say that, but we have 7 games against the angels which means we will face Cole 4 times. He goes on 2day rest now and catches on his off days since they will only be able to afford Trout, Puljos, Upton, Simmons and Cole.
agdaddy04
AG
Nino Brown said:

2020 WS Game 7.

Grienke vs Cole

Astros 5 Dodgers 4

#forloveofthehat

This has me excited already. I think we all found out that Greinke is made for a game 7. Hinch will be thinking about this all offseason. I trust him to get the guys back there.
Nino Brown
I forgot to add how the game ends just for irony purposes of course.
Beau Bevers
AG
Nino Brown said:

2020 WS Game 7.

Grienke vs Cole

Astros 5 Dodgers 4

JV comes into the game in the 7th to close it out.

#forloveofthehat

Yes, please.
Thinice
After looking at the list of free agents, good luck to any teams trying to get a lot better through free agency.
Wabs
AG
Welp, back from my ban. I guess I said something I shouldn't have Wed night....

Anyway. Very small chance, but I'd like to see the Astros trade Correa for a big haul of young prospects (replenishes the farm that took a hit with the Greinke trade). I'm tired of watching Correa take strikes and then swoop swinging at pitches 2 foot off the plate.

May be a pipe dream, but would love to see Rendon in an Astros uniform playing 3B, with Breggy at SS.

We need to find another catcher. I'd keep Chirinos, but he needs to be a backup.

Trade Reddick, he has proven to be a complete dud in the postseason. Tucker needs to be in RF.

Bullpen. Keep Smith, Harris, Osuna, Pressly. Rondon is useless and needs to go.

Do what it takes to keep Springer in Houston for a long time.

Boiling Denim
Ag_07 said:

Yuli is critical but he can't really be the future...he's 36 next season and that's a Cuban 36 so he may be pushing 40...
spadilly
S
Facebook was oh so kind enough to remind me that my most loved photo of 2017 came on this date....

A picture of my WS celebration.

BCSGrubber
AG
I think Maldonado is going to get a nice offer from whatever team signs Cole.
Ag_07
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Ag_07 said:

Yuli is critical but he can't really be the future...he's 36 next season and that's a Cuban 36 so he may be pushing 40...

True but if he walks after 2020 who the hell is gonna play 1B?

Like I said he's 35 but he doesn't have the tread of a normal 35 year old MLB player. He spent years playing in Cuba where he played only 1/2 the games he does now.

So yeah 35 but I don't see any reason he can't be productive for 3-4 more years until we find our next 1Bman.
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.