*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,732 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Luhnow was the single greatest thing to ever happen to Houston sports. We just fired him.
aTm2004
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I can see firing AJ, I wouldn't agree with it, but I can understand it. But how do you let fire Jeff?
Yeah, don't understand that either.
iBrad
AG
Luhnow turned around this franchise and I really liked Hinch, but you guys act like no one else could ever win a title.

Biggest question regarding their firings...can we replace them with permanent hires this year?
Bubba smollett
Lunhow is the big loss here not hinch.
Pahdz
I'm betting MLB wanted to vacate our title and we had to agree to this enable to maintain that
bluefire579
AG
Kneejerk reaction, not the best way to run things, but guess that's where we are.

Hopefully whoever they bring in can keep things going. I'm sure coaching will be fine, as AJ's coaching tree has been very solid but as we've all experienced in the past with Tim Papura, promoting the Assistant GM doesn't mean a damn thing toward continued success.
Bregxit
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I can see firing AJ, I wouldn't agree with it, but I can understand it. But how do you let fire Jeff?
The report says Crane told Jeff specifically, after the September 2017 memo, to make sure the team was not engaging in these activities.

Still, Crane is a ****ing idiot.
AggieLit
"I'll see your over-the-top one-year ban and raise you a suicide."

Sheesh, Crane. Wait a day to do something like this. Nobody ever made a worse decision by waiting a day, talking to a few friends, getting a good night's sleep, etc. This was an emotional reaction.

The kicker is that the Manfred report says that Luhnow vigorously denied knowledge of the scheme and admitted they had no evidence that he had knowledge. Simply suspended him because he should have known. What a thing to fire the architect of your team over.

New York fans must be in absolute euphoria right now.
Marvin
AG
Pahdz said:

I'm betting MLB wanted to vacate our title and we had to agree to this enable to maintain that

I immediately thought that Crane cut a deal of some sort.
HotardAg07
AG
I think Crane did the right thing, honestly. Cheating is bad, full stop, and should have never been condoned by the people who knew about it. Hinch admitted that he knew about it and didn't stop it. Crane hired these people to run the baseball side of the org, stayed out of their way completely and trusted them to do their thing, and they lost his trust. Astros have become the villains of baseball and synonymous with cheating and misogyny, which hurts the brand that he paid for.

He probably believes he hired Luhnow and he can find someone else just as good to run the org going forward.
tremble
AG
Pahdz said:

Who the **** cares? A vacated title is like a vacated Heisman. Everyone knows who was #1 and no one gives a *****

Firing Luhnow and Hinch is a ****ing disastrous move. Good luck attracting a competent GM and manager when the clear message is that management will throw you under the ****ing bus.
k20dub
AG
Pahdz said:

This is actually a great thought. Might be right.
dshedd41
S
I'm not done with team, Astros fan until I kick the bucket. This hurts, but we still have our title
Gig’em Aggies!
Harry Stone
AG
Hinch lost game 7. i get the bats went cold but he lost it with his typical hinch relief pitching shenanigans. im glad he is gone. luhnow is the tough one to replace.
HotardAg07
AG
AggieLit said:

Sheesh, Crane. Wait a day to do something like this. Nobody ever made a worse decision by waiting a day, talking to a few friends, getting a good night's sleep, etc. This was an emotional reaction.

The kicker is that the Manfred report says that Luhnow vigorously denied knowledge of the scheme and admitted they had no evidence that he had knowledge. Simply suspended him because he should have known. What a thing to fire the architect of your team over.

Manfred also said that they had evidence that he did in fact know what was going on.
TXAG14
Won't miss Hinch. Firing Lunhow is a mistake.
TREX01
Crane absolutely did the right thing and it's laughable to think that Lunhow and Hinch will be picked up immediately. Much more likely that they are blackballed moving forward. We got what was coming to us blowing the WS. That's called karma.
iBrad
AG
I doubt Crane received this info today.
aTm2004
AG
AggieLit said:

I bet Crane knew yesterday.
cc10106
Guess I'm not so crazy after all.
Pahdz
It matters when the league erases all evidence of it, makes the team remove all banners, etc. It's a big damn deal
Ag12thman
AG
Pahdz said:

It matters when the league erases all evidence of it, makes the team remove all banners, etc. It's a big damn deal
Yep.
CFTXAG10
AG
iBrad said:

I doubt Crane received this info today.
100%. I am sure Luhnow and Hinch didn't just find out at 2pm either.
Bubba smollett
Question how come the Cardinals didn't get more of severe penalty they broke into the Astros system..?
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

They'll be hired elsewhere ASAP.
Or maybe in 1 year.
AustinCountyAg
I can see the opposite. Fire Lunhow but retain Jeff....the email thing to all the scouts is what sealed the deal IMO with firing Jeff?
iBrad
AG
The Luhnow firing probably has as much to do with the Taubman incident and lack of control. It just had to be done. Front office was too messed up.
HossAg
AG
I'm not upset they're fired. Just disappointed in all this.
Bregxit
AG
TREX01 said:

Crane absolutely did the right thing and it's laughable to think that Lunhow and Hinch will be picked up immediately. Much more likely that they are blackballed moving forward. We got what was coming to us blowing the WS. That's called karma.
$100 Lunhow is picked up within 2 weeks of the 2020 WS ending.
Texas A&M
Pahdz said:

Just like they did with Barry Bonds' HR record?
k20dub
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I can see the opposite. Fire Lunhow but retain Jeff....the email thing to all the scouts is what sealed the deal IMO with firing Jeff?
A lot to catch up on, what email?
HTownAg98
"The report says Crane told Jeff specifically, after the September 2017 memo, to make sure the team was not engaging in these activities."

If I lied to my boss about something this important, I'd be fired on the spot. It's one thing to not know something is going on. It's another to be put on notice about it and do it anyways.
tremble
AG
In the 21st century with YouTube, digital media, and every other piece of merch do you think any Houston fan gives a **** that a pennant is hanging from some dinky rafter?

Would the Patriots ever fire Belichick? If you know the answer, you know this a bad move.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Now Crane can hide behind all this bs as a reason to not pay guys, drop the **** outta the payroll, and watch our team sink into mediocrity.
wangus12
AG
iBrad said:

Luhnow turned around this franchise and I really liked Hinch, but you guys act like no one else could ever win a title.

Biggest question regarding their firings...can we replace them with permanent hires this year?
None else won a title in the last 48 years and Crane isn't really the most competent owner out there.
First Page Last Page
Page 65 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.