*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,042,067 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

Springer is going to become injury prone, all the signs are there but hopefully not this year. Let someone else pay too much for him.

What signs? I need to hear this.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

the last of the bohemians said:

Springer is going to become injury prone, all the signs are there but hopefully not this year. Let someone else pay too much for him.

What signs? I need to hear this.

Ag_07
AG
Bregs' new walkup song?

mwm
I've been a fan of MLB for 60 years and I've never seen such a mess as baseball is in right now. Manfred is in way over his head. I'd bet he wishes he'd never opened this can of worms. His days as commissioner are numbered.

Spring Training has always been the time of the year when hope springs eternal and "all is right with the world". Just look at the mess we're in now. Sad. Very sad.

Still, I'll be an Astros fan for 162 games in 2020.
amercer
AG
You going to abandon them for the playoffs?
the last of the bohemians
I never looked forward to a season more than this one.
mwm
Of course not. That's a new season!
wangus12
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Harold Reynolds fact checks Correa's statements about Altuve in the ALCS walk off HR

Thus just in. Harold Reynolds has been banned from speaking publicly about anything related to baseball
03_Aggie
mwm said:

I've been a fan of MLB for 60 years and I've never seen such a mess as baseball is in right now. Manfred is in way over his head. I'd bet he wishes he'd never opened this can of worms. His days as commissioner are numbered.

Spring Training has always been the time of the year when hope springs eternal and "all is right with the world". Just look at the mess we're in now. Sad. Very sad.

Still, I'll be an Astros fan for 162 games in 2020.

Am I the only one hoping for a blow up over MLB manipulating baseballs?

Now that would be a doozy.
dixichkn
AG
Oh my God.......I have been waiting, begging for ONE member of the dipsh** media to come at this thing with a voice of reason. An ounce of sanity. It finally happens.......and it's freaking Colin Cowturd?

Strike me dead now.

bearkatag15
AG

Knocking off 9 HRs, 2.3 WAR and 16 runs scored from last year.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
maca1028
I'm ready for the team to go straight Belichick on the media.
Agnzona
Astros are going to have to overpay for free agents for the next decade and stars may very well block playoff deadline trades.
irish pete ag06
AG
Agnzona said:

Astros are going to have to overpay for free agents for the next decade and stars may very well block playoff deadline trades.

Nope.
Agnzona
We will see. Its a mob mentality out there and it is not going away anytime soon.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-most-important-bangs-of-the-astros-scheme/
mwm
I'm just tired of the media "drama queens", the pompous players, and self-righteous "fans" from NY, Boston & LA (especially LA).

Let's play ball.
. . .
Ag_07
AG
I've realized through all this that baseball players are bigger poosays than I thought.
Wabs
AG
So are these pitchers who've said publicly that they'll bean Astros going to be charged with assault if they do it and seriously injure someone?
Big Cat `93
AG
Just think about all the times over the years, in sports and in general, when the people who displayed the most offense and outrage about something turned out to be complete hypocrites. I'll be interested to see how that plays out here.
Mr.Bond
AG

Former astro. Wow
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Big Cat `93
AG
I'm going to follow Huff now out of spite to the Giants.
astros4545
AG
Agnzona said:

By this logic, we will also have to pay less to keep our homegrown players

That works for me
aTm2004
AG
Agnzona said:

Huh? They're under a giant microscope right now. If the Astros are leading the division/AL at the trade deadline, there will be people on chitty teams who will not think twice about joining the Astros to hopefully win a WS.
BMX Bandit
Wabs said:

So are these pitchers who've said publicly that they'll bean Astros going to be charged with assault if they do it and seriously injure someone?

Stop
Wabs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Stop
I think it's a legit question honestly. While I'm not in favor of this being a "legal" issue when it happens from time to time, this is a completely different situation. There have been multiple pitchers publicly threaten (in advance) to plunk Astros players. Bean them on the hip or thigh, back, or even the arm? I'm ok with that. What if someone throws a 98+ MPH fastball and hits a batter in the face/head?
The Beef01
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Just think about all the times over the years, in sports and in general, when the people who displayed the most offense and outrage about something turned out to be complete hypocrites. I'll be interested to see how that plays out here.
I have no idea what you're talking about....

aTm2004
AG
Wabs said:

BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Stop
I think it's a legit question honestly. While I'm not in favor of this being a "legal" issue when it happens from time to time, this is a completely different situation. There have been multiple pitchers publicly threaten (in advance) to plunk Astros players. Bean them on the hip or thigh, back, or even the arm? I'm ok with that. What if someone throws a 98+ MPH fastball and hits a batter in the face/head?
Those talking are pitchers who have a slim chance of actually facing an Astros batter, and if they do face one and hit him, the team will respond.

n_touch
lol I cant stop watching
The Beef01
AG
Agnzona said:

There's absolutely zero chance of any of that happening...these guys talking are doing so b/c they know that they'll never get implicated in similar schemes. I'm sure what has happened with the Astros is going to make sure that every other team closes ranks on letting any of that stuff out and, I'm willing to bet that Mike Fiers is probably not exactly a trusted individual inside the A's clubhouse.

At the end of the day, nobody is going to block the opportunity to come to Houston for more money or to play for a contender b/c of this and if they do, then good for them. (I mean that sincerely too.....if they're that principled and that clean, then that's admirable)
The Beef01
AG
aTm2004 said:

Wabs said:

BMX Bandit said:

Wabs said:

Stop
Those talking are pitchers who have a slim chance of actually facing an Astros batter, and if they do face one and hit him, the team will respond.

Exactly....either that or position players on NL clubs who either won't see the Astros this year or might have minimal interaction with them.

I have found the mouth flapping of Rangers fans funny and the sanctimony that many of them are displaying...reminds me of an old SNL Saturday TV Funhouse bit where they were getting cuts of George Clooney doing talk shows and talking about the exploitation of actors and the guy who played Radar on M*A*S*H* kept coming in and trying to be heard.
Big Cat `93
AG
B-I-N-G-O
ccaggie05
AG
Im still amazed at how much play this stupid buzzer thing has gotten. Even in that Cowherd video, where he has a rational take unlike the rest of his media buddies, he still acts as if it's probably true Altuve had a buzzer despite no evidence. Then, Harold Reynolds is accused of peddling conspiracy theories. All he did was show that all the "evidence" given for the buzzer theory (Chapman only was hit because of a buzzer vs him being off his game, the lack of a tattoo, Altuve immediately running to the dugout to remove said buzzer) is not true when you watch the tape of Altuve's walkoff HR and and the celebration afterwards.

I feel like I'm in an alternative universe of something.
bluefire579
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Rafael Palmero immediately comes to mind

Edit: Beaten to it
First Page Last Page
Page 154 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.