*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,036,407 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want a tshirt like this

Brandon Taubman on the front, with a dialogue bubble saying ' "I'm so glad we bought that F******* trash can"
BMX Bandit
aTm2004 said:

Agnzona said:

Astros are going to have to overpay for free agents for the next decade and stars may very well block playoff deadline trades.
Huh? They're under a giant microscope right now. If the Astros are leading the division/AL at the trade deadline, there will be people on chitty teams who will not think twice about joining the Astros to hopefully win a WS.

Exactly. Saying this will have an effect for "decade" is preposterous

This will be forgotten by next summer
Agnzona
This is exactly like our current politics were the opposite of those screaming is the truth or were those screaming the loudest have actually done much worse.

It is also driven by essentially the same people the NYC centric media.
Wabs
AG
Quote:

Do these **** nuts understand that Astro players were most likely given immunity?? Why do no reporters point that out to these dumb asses? How do they think MLB got all the details? The organization (and players) could have just kept their mouths shut and no one would know all this stuff (kinda like the Yankees when they are accused of something).
Farmer1906
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

I'm going to follow Huff now out of spite to the Giants.
Why? Huff seems like a giant asshat.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Quote:

Do these **** nuts understand that Astro players were most likely given immunity?? Why do no reporters point that out to these dumb asses? How do they think MLB got all the details? The organization (and players) could have just kept their mouths shut and no one would know all this stuff (kinda like the Yankees when they are accused of something).
I don't fault takes like that. He's allowed to be pissed that we used a camera to steal signs and that MLB gave immunity especially if he feels like he's done things the right way. I would just be very careful pointing fingers if you know or think your team has skeletons in their closet.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Quote:

I don't fault takes like that. He's allowed to be pissed that we used a camera to steal signs and that MLB gave immunity especially if he feels like he's done things the right way. I would just be very careful pointing fingers if you know or think your team has skeletons in their closet.
My point is would people like this rather MLB not give immunity and then no one finds out the whole truth? If not given immunity, then whatever came out in the report may not have been "enough" to suspend the players anyway.
Agnzona
I am guessing we don't even know half the "whole truth", because MLB and the media are purposely not looking for it.
Wabs
AG
Agnzona said:

I am guessing we don't even know half the "whole truth", because MLB and the media are purposely not looking for it.
If you're referring to the "whole truth" about other teams cheating, I agree. But I think we wouldn't know near all the details about the Astros cheating if players weren't given immunity. I just find it interesting that these so-called "baseball journalists" don't bring this up when a player says stuff like this.
Deluxe
AG
I guess it's easy to forget sometimes that these guys are super competitive alpha athlete types who don't have the ability to think critically or down a logic chain (unless it pertains specifically to game strategy).

"I'm angry! It's wrong!" - Ok fair enough. Express your anger and let's move on.

"Astros cheated" - Yes they did in 2017 and the beginning of 2018. It's been well documented. They've apologized. Again, express your anger and move on. What else do you want?

"Astros cheated in 2019 too!" - It's also possible we didn't land on the moon. Stick to the facts. Totally fair game to criticize 2017/early 2018. Don't conflate truth with internet conspiracies.

"The players should be punished!" - No understanding of how the investigation worked. No acknowledgement of the value provided by the players' ability to speak freely.

"Manfred sucks!" - What specifically would you have done different in his shoes? "Suspended the players!" Ok, then how would you have gotten the information needed to convict the franchise/GM/manager and punish them? Reporters tend to be too busy tweeting out headline player responses to ask follow up questions on this topic.
E
AG
Wabs said:

Quote:

This also drives me nuts! The reason why we got off so "lightly" is because we cooperated. If we didn't then the sentence would have been much harsher. Just like in normal court cases, we struck a plea deal.
CFTXAG10
AG
And along these lines, I think Manfred has handled a lot of things terribly, but he was in a tough position. He got complaints from the A's and possible others, then the leaked reports from Fiers/The Athletic. He had to launch an investigation. Then how do you get players to talk? Oh and remember the players union probably stepped in from the beginning to check Manfred on how he would go about this. Enter upfront immunity agreement in exchange for honesty. He completes the investigation, a lot of players admitted to the same information, and he follows through with punishment of GM/HC like he said he would in the Sept. 2017 warning to all teams.

Now there is outrage that he granted immunity, even though you get nothing without it. If anything, this situation has shown just how much the players/media/fans don't give two sh**s about actual facts. It is a race to see who can put out the most fake outrage, rumors that cannot be corroborated, and hypocritical asinine statements.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ol' Dusty is starting to grow on me....

Deluxe
AG
I think he's the right guy at the right time.
astros4545
AG
All right, now I'm all behind the Dusty Train

Wooooooooo
Wabs
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Ol' Dusty is starting to grow on me....

Old man doesn't give a ***** Love it!
Texaggie7nine
Big Cat `93 said:

I'm going to follow Huff now out of spite to the Giants.

Dude is a fun follow
7nine
astros4545
AG
JABQ04
AG
I apologize if this was already brought up but I saw folks getting this embroidered on the sides of their Astros caps yesterday. I liked it.

I'm excited for the season. The boys are gonna come out with something to prove. **** everyone else.
W
AG
wow, so now we have a player (Markakis) calling for violence --- I thought the media didn't like that kind of stuff.

apparently not in this situation
wangus12
AG
I'm saying it again. Sign Conor McGregor to a 1 year deal. Anybody wants to start ****, he gets the charge the mound.
gig them
AG
These guys are effectively railing against their own union. If it means that much to them, they could always... not collectively bargain for a player-friendly punishment process?
safety guy
AG
Part of me thinks that players are upset because the Astros pushed the boundaries too far and now everyone will be on watch.
BullSprig07
AG
astros4545 said:

The article linked by Michael Schwab is an outstanding piece.It's worth the time of everyone here.

Jose Altuve and the Presumption of Innocence
CFTXAG10
AG
safety guy said:

Part of me thinks that players are upset because the Astros pushed the boundaries too far and now everyone will be on watch.
Damn. Hadn't thought of that, but you are absolutely right. Think about all of the other little things that players do for an advantage, and realize that now its going to be under a microscope all season long.

Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

I'm saying it again. Sign Conor McGregor to a 1 year deal. Anybody wants to start ****, he gets the charge the mound.
He's like 175 pounds. Let's do this right.

Derrick Lewis

https://brobible.com/sports/article/derrick-lewis-ufc-rescuing-flood-victims-houston/2/
aTm2004
AG
"Derrick, why did you charge the mound and pummel the pitcher?"
"Cause my balls was hot."
CFTXAG10
AG
wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

wangus12 said:

Derrick Lewis

https://brobible.com/sports/article/derrick-lewis-ufc-rescuing-flood-victims-houston/2/
True, but then nobody will throw at the Astros because they know they'll lose against Lewis. Some of these bigger guys will think they can take McGregor, but I'd take that bet 100% of the time that a pro MMA fighter would have no problem breaking a pro baseball player, regardless of weight class.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

True, but then nobody will through at the Astros because they know they'll lose against Lewis. Some of these bigger guys will think they can take McGregor, but I'd take that bet 100% of the time that a pro MMA fighter would have no problem breaking a pro baseball player, regardless of weight class.
Even the catchers would be like "well, you wanted this, so you can finish it while I hang out here with my facial bones in place."
DriftwoodAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Farmer1906 said:

wangus12 said:

Derrick Lewis

True, but then nobody will through at the Astros because they know they'll lose against Lewis. Some of these bigger guys will think they can take McGregor, but I'd take that bet 100% of the time that a pro MMA fighter would have no problem breaking a pro baseball player, regardless of weight class.
this reminds me of the time Roger Huerta did this to a former tsip player

Gramercy Riffs
AG
DriftwoodAg said:

this reminds me of the time Roger Huerta did this to a former tsip player

Small correction for the video: the "guy who hit a girl" didn't hit a girl.
Beat40
W said:

wow, so now we have a player (Markakis) calling for violence --- I thought the media didn't like that kind of stuff.

apparently not in this situation
Wait, do we really think Markakis is calling for actual violence? I read it as deserving of the beating we're taking right now.

Maybe I misread it. Maybe he really did mean we should be beat up. If he meant that, well, then game on since we play the Braves in spring training March 10 and then to end the regular season in September.
CFTXAG10
AG
First I agree w/ Cowherd, now Gardner....

BMX Bandit
More easy money. Take "no"

First Page Last Page
Page 155 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.