*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,192 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
Big Cat `93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like Dusty a lot, and I like the hire. That said, I still frequently think of how visibly frustrated he was in Nolan's fifth no-hitter.

I'm old.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
In Dusty we Trusty.
E
AG
2020: Lets get Baked
Deluxe
AG
E said:

2020: Lets get Baked
This
W
AG
it's going to be a fun year.

sometimes you just have to embrace being the villain.

rock on
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
I'm looking forward to this year perhaps more than any other in history.
. . .
Quote:

Dusty Baker: "This is my last hurrah. I thought my last hurrah was in Washington because I gave all my stuff away." He said he had to go up in the attic to find his baseball shoes.

Dusty Baker: "Don't tell the Nationals, but I was rooting for this team to beat the Nationals."

Baker: "I love this city. I've spent more time here probably than any other city more than where I was living."

Dusty Baker: "I enjoy and embrace being modern, but being old school at the same time. I don't know why we can't combine both of them."

Baker said the coaching staff is under contract and everyone will return. "It was pretty good before I got here."

What is the biggest concern going into this job? Baker: "Who is going to take Gerrit Cole's spot of excellence."

Dusty said he needs to see his grandchild, see his son, prune his grapes and make sure his dogs don't have ticks before he gets to spring training. And he has to pack. "Have you ever packed for seven months?"

Dusty Baker: "If I didn't feel wanted, heck man, I would have stayed in Sacramento."

Dusty Baker said his son, Darren, "keeps me hip."

Dusty Baker said his son, Darren, was listening to Too Short recently. Too Short was rapping that this was his last album. Baker: "This is my last album. Except, I'm Too Tall."

Baker was asked to answer a question in Spanish and hesitated before doing it: "I'm pretty good but it makes me tired."

Because Dusty Baker will wear his usual No. 12 with the Astros, Martn Maldonado is switching uniform numbers from No. 12 to No. 15.

Jim Crane said he hopes to have a GM in place by the middle of spring training.

Crane on the GM search: "We're going to talk to a lot of people and do a thorough check on what's available. There's a possibility we could stay pat with the people we have for the time being and there's a possibility we could bring someone in."
Kashchei
AG
mazag08 said:

Beat40 said:

W said:

yep, that bozo tried to put as many negative adjectives and phrases as he could in one column.

perfect example of how the media tries to control & dictate the narrative
So, we do have to say we deserve a lot of it because we did, in fact, cheat. However the MLB is also largely responsible because of their unwillingness to investigate everyone at the same time.

Just get used to it, boys. This is going to be a rough season - most away games will be a chorus of boos. Every story will be negative. Heck, even Altuve is going to be on the wrong end of most stories this season. Every broadcast is going to talk about the report for the first month or so. I don't even really want to watch those first two or three ESPN games we might be on.

If that analysis that Astros fan did gains any more traction than what was in The Athletic, the story will continue to evolve. I still can't believe that person posted all of that stuff.

The boys really need to not pay attention to any media at all, to the best of their abilities. The team chemistry is really going to be something to watch this year. They aren't going to get any outside love for a long time.
We need to embrace the villain role. Every HR we need to wave the crowd shower us with even more boos. Every press conference needs to be "no comment". Every time we get beaned.. we bean them back. Embrace it and let it fuel you. Then go win it all and hold that trophy up with the biggest **** eating grin you can. Then hire both Hinch and Luhnow back.

If you listen to the media/other fanbases you'd this is the biggest scandal to ever hit baseball, baseball has a history as clean as the wind driven snow, and the franchise needs to be disbanded.
Cen-Tex
AG
I will pull for the 'Stros, and I like Dusty, but not as their manager. I realize it's all about having a veteran skipper to run interference. But screw all the critics & naysayers, and believe the Astros could've done better.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Will reallt be interesting people try to use this to try and keep players out of the HOF like Altuve.
Big Al 1992
AG
That article - LOL - other managerial candidates felt the process was rushed. Well no shyte- spring training is less than 30 days away!
AggiEE
Apparently Ausmus was the backup to Baker

So glad he accepted
Kashchei
AG
Sarduakar said:

Will reallt be interesting people try to use this to try and keep players out of the HOF like Altuve.

You know they will. I don't know who posted it or what thread it was on, but someone said if the BBWA have any chance to grandstand or virtue signal they'll take it 100% of the time.
amercer
AG
Well the good thing is that is probably 10-15 years down the line. This whole thing has been a terrible look for the organization, but it will fade.

Just win 5 more World Series and the stros can get the patriots treatment. And some level of success everything is forgiven...
agdaddy04
AG
So why has Baker spent more time here than any other city? Guess I didn't realize that.
McInnis
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

I like Dusty a lot, and I like the hire. That said, I still frequently think of how visibly frustrated he was in Nolan's fifth no-hitter.

I'm old.
Wasn't he the last out in that game?
astros4545
AG
AggiEE said:

Apparently Ausmus was the backup to Baker

So glad he accepted

I heard Banister then Ausmus was 2/3

My high school coach woulda joined Banisters staff if he got the job

Maybe that's part of the reason he didn't if he wanted to bring in his own people
n_touch
I'm guessing another problem is most of them wanted more than 1 year. I like this deal. Lets them get a GM and not have to worry about firing a manager.
Big Cat `93
AG
Safe at Home said:

Big Cat `93 said:

I'm old.
My memory's not that good. I would have preferred it to be Garvey. Couldn't stand that guy.

I'm all for the Astros going full Four Horseman heel-mode this year. Heck, they've already got the Nature Boy playing in right field. Bregman would be a good Tully Blanchard.
07ag
AG
Safe at Home said:

Big Cat `93 said:

I'm old.
https://ts.la/eric59704
AustinCountyAg
I'm very happy we didn't hire Ausmus. To me he comes off as a stuck up D bag. Not the kind of manager Bregs, and Springer would want to play for.
Big Cat `93
AG
Dusted!
W
AG
agdaddy04 said:

So why has Baker spent more time here than any other city? Guess I didn't realize that.
back in the day...the Braves and Dodgers would make 3 trips to Houston per season in the old NL West.

or perhaps he spent some time in Houston during his cancer treatment
agdaddy04
AG
I just figured it must be something on top of the regular road trips.
The Milkman
AG
He also said he has family here
redline248
AG
I wonder how many more articles the Athletic will write about 2017 sign stealing? They put out another one today, which I won't link, analyzing the change in strike out rates between 16 and 17. No mention of how little we struck out in 19, which set a record, I think.

I guess a few more until the Red Sox investigation is complete.
Al Bula
AG
Meanwhile Astros still have 1 World Series, 2 pennants and three consecutive division titles since joining the AL.

Arlington: 2 division titles, 0 pennants and 0 World Series since the Astros joined.

Suck it haters.
mwm
If this is Dusty's "last hurrah", let's put a ring on his finger.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Who is buying these? I don't get the steak on a fork thing?
redline248
AG
I don't know about that, but I wouldn't mind a couple pair of these shoes

Post removed:
by user
Ag_07
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Who is buying these?

Cholos
redline248
AG
I can't wait to shell this little b-tch

agdaddy04
AG
Have we ever shelled him?
First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.