*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,030,772 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The tweeter's handle seriously checks out here....
bearkatag15
AG
. . .

Quote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/01/29/dusty-baker-houston-astros-mlb-manager/4613200002/

The Houston Astros reached an agreement Wednesday to hire Dusty Baker to be their new manager, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the Astros had not yet announced the hire.

Houston is signing Baker to a short-term contract and hoping he will help lead them through their most tumultuous time in the wake of their cheating scandal.

The Astros, who fired manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow for their roles in the scandal, also are expected to have a shake-up of their coaching staff.

The Astros will turn next to their GM search, with Peter Woodfork, MLB's vice president of baseball operations, emerging as the leading contender. The Astros also have interviewed former San Francisco Giants GM Bobby Evans.

Baker, 70, was chosen among a field of nine managerial candidates, including veterans Buck Showalter, John Gibbons, Jeff Banister and Brad Ausmus.
tjack16
AG
I'm honestly fine with the choice of Dusty Baker
HossAg
AG
Well at least it's only 2 years...which is probably the remaining time we have to possibly win another WS.
W
AG
you know one example from 2017 I've seen highlighted a few times...

George is batting in a game against the Mets...and the trash can goes boom...and George hits the ensuing pitch over the fence.

well, the pitch was a breaking ball that hung over the middle of the plate belt-high. It was a cookie.

every major league hitter is going to (1) swing at that pitch and (2) crush it --- it was a terrible pitch
Ag12thman
AG
I'm good with Dusty as well. Hopefully the team will play with a chip on its shoulder all season.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

The Astros, who fired manager A.J. Hinch and GM Jeff Luhnow for their roles in the scandal, also are expected to have a shake-up of their coaching staff.
Better not touch Strom!!!
7nine
Ag_07
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Better not touch Strom!!!

This is what I fear.
Texaggie7nine
For GM, honestly I think I'd like Woodfork.

He was director of players at Boston when they had Epstein as GM because they could't get Billy Bean from the A's even with 12 million. Woodfork was part of the moneyball revolution that took over the Red Sox.

Also this is a good article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/489080-peter-woodfork-leaves-diamondbacks-front-office
7nine
Ag_07
AG
So I'm guessing analytics is only going to be used in player evaluation and not in making on field decisions.

Can't imagine 70 year old Dusty Baker will be combing through the iPad from the dugout.
bearkatag15
AG

Interesting... Stop gap until Hinch's suspension is lifted?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
bearkatag15
AG
07ag
AG
had to be an experienced manager that could hit the ground running. we're 2 weeks from spring training.
https://ts.la/eric59704
Texaggie7nine
Looking better

7nine
. . .
Could've just kept Espada as interim/for a year & re-evaluated.
bearkatag15
AG
Baker is the Manager for the AL team in the All Star Game apparently..

agproducer
AG
Nm.

The Beef01
AG
I think this is the best case scenario....short term fix, Crane oversaw the whole process as the guy who doesn't get credit for overseeing the complete process to tear down and rebuild the franchise.

Dusty is a smart manager and has likely had a chance to evaluate the analytic approach and isn't opposed to using it for balance; I refuse to believe Crane interviewed that many guys and went with the guy who had no interest in dancing with what brung the organization.

If they get rid of Strom, then I'll really start scratching my head, but there's way too much conspiracy theory talk out there right now about MLB forcing Dusty on the Astros and them forcing a GM hire to essentially tear the organization down. Given how pervasive this cheating stuff is across the league....zero chance Crane takes that lying down without demanding full investigations into multiple other organizations. Hell, I'm borderline that he should've done that with this round of penalties levied against the franchise....but any conspiracy theory about MLB trying to force the Astros out through hires are laughable.
. . .
k20dub
AG
. . . said:

agproducer
AG
Maybe replace Snitker and/or Cintron as hitting coaches?

Gotta keep the Windmill though...

I wouldn't be surprised if Juan Lopez was brought on as bullpen coach. He worked with Baker during his stops in SF, Chicago and Cincinnati.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I'm good with this 1 year deal. The new gm can then evaluate. Maybe some training ground for Espada
Mathguy64
AG
So George was getting a fair amount of pit banging according to that data. It was so helpful he went through that awful slump in mid season. Something like 3-55 if I recall. What a crock.
Mr.Bond
AG
Forgot the All-Star game was in LA . That should be a field day for whatever Astros make it to the game
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Big Al 1992
AG
Nice thing about Dusty is that if/when folks try to plunk our hitters he will have no problem with our pitchers retaliating.
k20dub
AG
03_Aggie
k20dub said:

Man, Blue Jays are ruthless. Only gave the guy 1/3rd of an inning All season.
mwm
I've had the same thought. Hire Hinch & Luhnow back after the suspension. Crazy, but a thought.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Interesting... Stop gap until Hinch's suspension is lifted?

I wish. Don't get your hopes up.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
E
AG
03_Aggie said:

k20dub said:

Man, Blue Jays are ruthless. Only gave the guy 1/3rd of an inning All season.

The tweet is misleading. He had a handful of starts, demoted to bullpen and pitched 41 innings before we played them.

Mike Bolsinger is not a good or major league caliber pitcher. He had a 5.49 ERA heading into that game. He had 4 different years that he make appearances in the majors from 2014 to 2017 and never could cut it. He has a 6.83 ERA in 27 innings the prior year. He only had one year where he was sub 5 ERA.

Mike Bolsinger is the definition of an AAAA player. He had 4 years to prove he was a major league pitcher and couldn't. It's not the Astros cheating that cost him his job as the tweet implies, which stems from Clevingers argument. He wasn't going to make it.
iBrad
AG
If the Astros scoring 4 runs in a third of an inning led to knocking guys out of the league, Fiers would be out of a job.
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.