*****Official 2019/2020 Houston Astros offseason thread*****

1,025,825 Views | 9892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Deluxe
AG
Looks like no bangs were logged after the Commissioner's 9/25 warning though
amercer
AG
I guess hiring someone older than my grandfather should keep them from using technology to cheat anymore....
Teddy Perkins
AG

"Universally well received."
bearkatag15
AG
That is some incredible analysis:

Texaggie7nine
That sucks for Jose and Reddick. They hardly used it yet they are lumped in with the rest.

Jose's best seasons are tarnished in the eyes of most baseball fans and he didn't even really partake in the cheating.

Also, I've kind of been waiting for something like this analysis to come out. I figured it would be through some sports news org though where they can pay people to comb through every single game and find every bang.
7nine
bearkatag15
AG
Marwin Gonzalez being the biggest abuser of the banging is the least surprising thing I think... his 2017 year stats were a complete fabrication of this scheme.
CFTXAG10
AG
Does he have the results of the AB's when there was a bang? Most said it wasn't a very effective system anyway.
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40
Additionally, as Deluxe said, the data this guy has stops in September, when the commissioners letter went out.

We've been told we continued on after that, so what was the scheme rather than banging trashcans? I'm curious just to know.
W
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Marwin Gonzalez being the biggest abuser of the banging is the least surprising thing I think... his 2017 year stats were a complete fabrication of this scheme.
yes, I'm not surprised that Marwin has been quiet. 2017 was his career year by far
W
AG
interesting to note that the banging was at its highest level in August --- the 'stros worst month of the 2017 season.

hitters may have been pressing at that time (and looking for an edge somewhere)
bearkatag15
AG
Beat40 said:

Additionally, as Deluxe said, the data this guy has stops in September, when the commissioners letter went out.

We've been told we continued on after that, so what was the scheme rather than banging trashcans? I'm curious just to know.
9/24 was the last home game in the regular season and this guy didn't analyze playoff games.
astros4545
AG
When did Carlos Beltran playing time decrease in 2017, Wonder how correlated that is to the increase beginning in June
Teddy Perkins
AG
This is interesting but is there some accounting for fastballs thrown that wouldn't log a trashcan bang during an at bat where trashcan bangs were heard on breaking balls? If not, the data is skewed, no? Where there wasn't a bang, the hitter still knew the pitch was going to be a fastball.
Deluxe
AG
Beat40 said:

I think MLB is going to do its damnedest to keep that under wraps (ie the exact schemes we used and specifically when we used them). The last thing MLB wants is for a key moment of our championship run to be totally stained. At least right now, the 2017 playoff convictions are vague enough to watch replays of key moments and not be entirely sure.

I've said this before but I think the main reason Crane has been so cooperative (to the extent of firing Hinch/Luhnow) is because MLB left alot out of the report that would have made us look even worse.
ClickClack
AG
Notice the AAA call-ups had the highest percentages of bangs

White (lol)
Stassi
Davis
astros4545
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

This is interesting but is there some accounting for fastballs thrown that wouldn't log a trashcan bang during an at bat where trashcan bangs were heard on breaking balls? If not, the data is skewed, no? Where there wasn't a bang, the hitter still knew the pitch was going to be a fastball.

Yes
So 12% bangs

I would think 25% of pitches involved sign stealing
shano0603
AG
So that explains why Marwin was so good and then couldn't hit anything.

Also when we heard it was more of a distraction I'd anything, I guess they were referring to Altuve.
03_Aggie
Teddy Perkins said:

Or it's because they didn't feel like they knew the pitch.

Id think this scheme is really only effective on relief pitchers with only two pitches and one is a fastball.
bearkatag15
AG
To help determine how much this system helped them in the W/L column, I checked out their record from May 28th through Sept. 24th. May 28th saw a very clear line when it looks like the team decided to fully commit to the scheme. It looks to me like they are just testing it out up until that point.

Overall, their home record during those dates was 29-23. Roughly equates to about an 88 or 89 win season
bearkatag15
AG
Going further, in games the team didn't use the system much outside of a couple of bangs during what I call the "testing period" early in the season, their home record was 19-10... or roughly equivalent to a 103 win reason
Big Al 1992
AG
W said:

bearkatag15 said:

yes, I'm not surprised that Marwin has been quiet. 2017 was his career year by far

Still hit the GM 2 9th inning homer on the road in LA apparently on his own.
But suspicious how much he may have implemented the system in playoff team Minnesota this past year.
Big Al 1992
AG
Would take more analysis but some teams/pitchers may have used super simple signs that were easier to detect than others so then they would go nuts on those teams. Like Joe G. said the other day - former catcher and manager - sometimes you just gotta use better signs.
agproducer
AG
I find it interesting that in a lot of the games where the number of bangs were the highest -- the Astros lost.
tjack16
AG
I feel like it would be more difficult to listen for a bang and then change your approach mid at bat.
n_touch
Quote:

But suspicious how much he may have implemented the system in playoff team Minnesota this past year.

Ssssshhhhhhh
E
AG
n_touch said:

Quote:

Ssssshhhhhhh
I haven't heard any players for Minnesota jump on their high horse and chime in yet like dodgers, indians, etc have....
Thinice
That dude needs a girlfriend.
Deluxe
AG
It is interesting that the top 7 offenses in baseball last year each had links to the 2017 Astros:

1. Astros
2. Dodgers (T White)
3. Yankees (Beltran)
4. Twins (Marwin)

5. A's (Fiers)
6. Red Sox (Cora)
7. Braves (Keuchel, McCann)
bearkatag15
AG
Really good breakdown of the stats from that guy's analysis.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
At least now if our team sucks because we were cheating, we can blame Dusty/Crane, right?
Beat40
The problem I have with the analysis at this point, especially with everyone sweeping all other club under the rug, is that people will extrapolate the 2017 performance over 2018 and 2019 whereas MLB has said we didn't cheat in 2018 or 2019.
Texaggie7nine
Until fans of other teams have their club's dirty laundry exposed in such a concrete way, they will just continue to think the Astros are unique in their cheating and are a dirty organization and will forever continue to be while their own team are completely innocent angels.
7nine
Marvin
AG
Booked a trip to West Palm for Feb 23-28. The haters can chirp all they want... Mrs. Marvin and I will enjoy some warm weather and Astros baseball.

Let me know if any of you will be visiting during that time as well- beer's on me!

First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 283

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.