*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

430,187 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michael Cera Palin
AG

Not to get too political but according to Bloomberg we built a new stadium because of climate change
Grapesoda2525
PWestAg18 said:

Not to get too political but according to Bloomberg we built a new stadium because of climate change
The main reason we're building a new park is because of the heat. It's not the only reason, but it's the biggest reason.
TXAggie2011
AG
All the article really says is increasingly hot (true) and that they built the new stadium because it is so often really damn hot (true).

It's not really all that provocative, and certainly not as explicit as the headline.
Baby Billy
AG
News flash: It's always been hot as **** in Texas in the summer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was hot when they moved in. It's still hot. The June-August DFW average temperature in 2019 was the same as it was in 1994. But retractable roof stadium building and advancement has come a long way since the days the TBIA was built. The Skydome/Rogers Centre was the only retractable roof at the time the TBIA was built. The desire and uses for a multi-purpose facility that would be available 365 have also increased. Those are the variables that changed since 1994.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
True. We also have a lot more fat ****s out there. I definitely left that one out. I think the average American is close to 15 pounds heavier than they were in the early to mid 90s. That definitely applies to the fat **** that was sitting next to me Saturday night. During the game, I overheard him telling his friends that his doc is watching his blood counts closely for diabetes, and no joke, as he's saying this, he is halfway through inhaling his 2nd hotdog drowning in ketchup.

And speaking of women, the average woman now weighs as much as a man did in the 1960s.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

True. We also have a lot more fat ****s out there. I definitely left that one out. I think the average American is close to 15 pounds heavier than they were in the early to mid 90s. That definitely applies to the fat **** that was sitting next to me Saturday night. During the game, I overheard him telling his friends that his doc is watching his blood counts closely for diabetes, and no joke, as he's saying this, he is halfway through inhaling his 2nd hotdog drowning in ketchup.

And speaking of women, the average woman now weighs as much as a man did in the 1960s.
My friends and I used to sit within viewpoint of the all you can eat seats. It was fun to watch what kind of creatures ended up sitting there. I once saw some humongous dude devour 20 hot dogs over the course of one baseball game.
DallasAg 94
TheAngelFlight
An article about temperatures has turned into a discussion about the weight of women...

Can someone start a new damn thread?
TheAngelFlight
Quote:

It was hot when they moved in. It's still hot. The June-August DFW average temperature in 2019 was the same as it was in 1994.
There have been 12 summers since the Ballpark opened that were hotter than any summer in the preceding 12/13 years before the Ballpark opened.

No doubt it was hot before. Its undeniably been hotter since they made the business decisions back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The article isn't claiming "climate change" was explicitly on the minds of Rangers ownership, nor does it assign blame for climate change, but there was certainly a breaking point with the heat such that people could get behind closing the Ballpark down early.

If you went to many games out at Turnpike Stadium, you didn't go fearing 100 degrees all summer long---that just didn't happen as much.
AggieDPT
AG
Dying at creatures. Might as well be a National Geographic special on the home run porch
jkag89
Grapesoda2525 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

My friends and I used to sit within viewpoint of the all you can eat seats. It was fun to watch what kind of creatures ended up sitting there. I once saw some humongous dude devour 20 hot dogs over the course of one baseball game.
I was just trying to get my money's worth.
wbt5845
AG
I think the Rangers will have the roof open a lot more than the Cowboys. Jerry is mostly concerned about the look on TV. And the weather in Texas is typically just fine for baseball until sometime in June.

There were weekday games in August I went to that we were the only people in our entire section. There couldn't have been 4,000 fans total actually in the stadium.
jkag89
I'll be shocked if the roof is open past mid-May.
Grapesoda2525
AggieDPT said:

Dying at creatures. Might as well be a National Geographic special on the home run porch
It's actually a common problem at the ballpark.

I had a coworker recently complain to me that he and his wife actually had to move into another ( worse) section in worse seats because some obese guy was not only taking up all of his seat, but he took up most of hers too.

It was during the Yankees series when seats were selling like hot cakes.
Seven Costanza
AG
jkag89 said:

I'll be shocked if the roof is open past mid-May.
I've long speculated that this may kill the franchise over the long term. I'm mostly pulling this out of my ass, but I believe the roof is mostly open in the summer for Toronto, Seattle, and Milwaukee, but closed for Houston, Arizona, Miami, and Tampa Bay (they obviously don't have a choice, as they play in a dome). If I remember correctly, the attendance in the open roof cities has been positive, while the attendance in the closed roof cities has been terrible (with the exception of Houston over the past few years, when they've been an elite team). Looking at it that way is too simplistic to really draw any conclusions, but that, combined with knowing how awful it is to watch a baseball game indoors, points to it having some validity.
DallasAg 94
Seven Costanza
AG
Over the past 20 years, the Rangers have been a "win and they show up, and don't and they show up pretty well". I think the current ballpark's atmosphere plays a part in that.

I think they will turn into "win and they show up, and don't and they won't".
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree. Price will also play a role in showing up or not when bad. When it costs another 20-30% more, that "hey, I know they suck but let's go anyway" dynamic shifts as well.
Grapesoda2525
You guys are still overlooking how many people are turned away by the heat alone. I know lots of people who don't go regardless of how good the team is because it's hell to watch a game outside in June- September.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One Sunday game and one Thursday game every other week are hell. The night games are perfectly fine.
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

One Sunday game and one Thursday game every other week are hell. The night games are perfectly fine.
Not the first few innings.
TXAggie2011
AG
Eh. When they've won, the attendance has been just fine. No one would ever say "that franchise has lower than expected attendance."

They're not going to turn into the Yankees just because they have a roof...They're not going to sell 40,000 tickets a night to watch non-winning baseball.
dave94
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I disagree there. During the summer even at night a lot of people stay away because of the heat. The sun going down doesn't mean you're not gonna sweat your ass off whether it be at the ballpark or any other event in DFW.

Now, if they finally added a legitimate mass transit way to get from Fort Worth and Dallas to the ballpark, then we're talking near sellouts way more often.

But it's an obvious betterment to have the scorching heat not be a factor in attendance. And I will also agree that winning is even more important.
wbt5845
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

No, the night games are all pretty brutal too from mid June until - well, now. I was sweating my ass off last Wednesday against the Red Sox. And I'm in decent shape - a lot of the fatties around me were suffering dearly.

Even when the team was winning, the weekday night games where the temp was still > 100 F were lightly attended. Oh, they'd announce 20,000, but they were lucky if close to 10,000 were actually there.
Mr Gigem
AG
84 degrees. That's the external temp threshold that will cause the roof to close.

However, we'd be able to open the roof mid-game if the temp drops below that. Based a recent history, though, I don't see the roof re-opening during the Summer months. April/May and then October would be the only months when there's a chance the roof would be open for all/most of the game
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

For ballparks with retractable roofs, the decision to begin the game with the roof open or closed rests with the home team during the regular season. The roof can be closed only for weather reasons if the game begins with the roof open. If the game begins with the roof closed, it can be reopened once if the home team determines the climatic environment has reached a level where fan comfort and enjoyment will be best served by opening the roof. The roof may be moved only once during a game, unless inclement weather indicates otherwise.
In case anyone was curious.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/rules/ground-rules
Agnzona
My experience is retractable roofs are so underutilized as to not be worth the cost. In baseball pitchers want the roof closed. In all sports patrons on the sunny side (even when it's very cool) want the roof closed. Too many complain when it's open that it gets open much less than the weather would dictate. Essentially season ticket holders that set in direct sunlight in 95 degrees will start complaining about sitting in direct sunlight in 75 degrees because there now is a roof.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
94chem
wbt5845 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

No, the night games are all pretty brutal too from mid June until - well, now. I was sweating my ass off last Wednesday against the Red Sox. And I'm in decent shape - a lot of the fatties around me were suffering dearly.

Even when the team was winning, the weekday night games where the temp was still > 100 F were lightly attended. Oh, they'd announce 20,000, but they were lucky if close to 10,000 were actually there.

I miss the left field metal bleachers for batting practice. 110 degrees was nothing to endure for the joy of beating some 50 year old guy to the ricochet prize of a Jim Rice BP dinger.
South Platte
Hey, if we win a World Series because of the new stadium, I'll fully support climate change.
Baby Billy
AG
J.P. 03
AG
Is that a full house for an XFL game in that rendering? Bless their hearts.
aggietony2010
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Is that a full house for an XFL game in that rendering? Bless their hearts.

That's also a hell of a crowd for a non-MLS soccer match, but at least they left the upper decks empty there.
First Page
Page 135 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.