*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,194 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90 said:

We have to do something about the too many left handed hitters issue this off-season. Need to move one of Mazara/Choo. Calhoun is young and affordable, so we need to keep him.

We need to find a spot for Solak, even if it's mostly splitting the DH slot with a LH hitter.

And find another veteran starter to go with Minor/Lynn/Allard/Burke. Cole would be awesome, but more likely it'll be a Wacha type. I could live with giving Wacha a shot. He was recently a promising young starter, but need to get him straightened out health-wise.

Moving odor or drastically cutting his playing time would also help with the way "too left handed" problem.
94chem
Was over at ESPN stats, and saw how far ahead Verlander is for the Cy Young. Leads the league in innings, K's, WHIP (0.77?!?). Cole is the only other SP with WHIP < 1.0.

Despite these numbers, Cole and Verlander have a combined 12.4 WAR, but Minor and Lynn have a combined 14.0 WAR. If I go to fangraphs, Cole+Verlander = 11.6, and Lynn+Minor = 10.4. Not only are the totals reversed, but fangraphs shows Cole as better than Verlander, and Lynn as better than Minor.

Either way, the point is that Minor and Lynn have been about as good as Cole and Verlander. I know, there are things that even advanced stats can't show you, but Lynn and Minor are as good of a 1-2 punch as any team in baseball.

The Dodgers, Astros, Nationals, and Mets are the 4 teams that have 3 pitchers in the top 30.

If we're looking for paper tigers in the post-season, the Yankees have nobody in the top 30.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Just tuned in in time for Calhoun and Solak to put the Rangers up 3-0. Yes please, find these two a regular spot for 2020.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

We have to do something about the too many left handed hitters issue this off-season. Need to move one of Mazara/Choo. Calhoun is young and affordable, so we need to keep him.

We need to find a spot for Solak, even if it's mostly splitting the DH slot with a LH hitter.

And find another veteran starter to go with Minor/Lynn/Allard/Burke. Cole would be awesome, but more likely it'll be a Wacha type. I could live with giving Wacha a shot. He was recently a promising young starter, but need to get him straightened out health-wise.

Moving odor or drastically cutting his playing time would also help with the way "too left handed" problem.

Partially, but the real problem is too many LH OF/DH types that are limited defensively. Move one of them and DH the other.
_lefraud_
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27548135/why-mike-minor-ahead-justin-verlander-other-shocking-war-battles
Pretty good article that came out last week. Points out that Minor (and Lynn) have had to fave the Astro lineup several times. While Lander has the luxury of not facing his own lineup (obviously).
94chem
Almost like the RPI. Can you get negative WAR just for playing Baltimore or Detroit?
94chem
Also, nice AB for Rougie. But an equally impressive walk from Santana to set it up.

I wonder if they're looking at Solak for lead-off. He has 11 walks in 21 games. With the exception of the soon-departed Choo, the lineup is woefully deficient of OBP guys. Solak 1st and Gallo 2nd, followed by Andrus and Mazara would be interesting.
94chem
94chem said:

Also, nice AB for Rougie. But an equally impressive walk from Santana to set it up.

I wonder if they're looking at Solak for lead-off. He has 11 walks in 21 games. With the exception of the soon-departed Choo, the lineup is woefully deficient of OBP guys. Solak 1st and Gallo 2nd, followed by Andrus and Mazara/Calhoun would be interesting. Then maybe Santana and Calhoun. Still have DD, Pence, Guzman, IKF, catcher, Odor to choose from.
Rossko
AG
2020 Calhoun-Solak-Gallo could be deadly. Two guys hitting over .300 in front of a healthy Gallo could be the perfect recipe for runs. Hopefully we can see it for a couple weeks before the season is over if Joey can make it back.
94chem
Rossko said:

2020 Calhoun-Solak-Gallo could be deadly. Two guys hitting over .300 in front of a healthy Gallo could be the perfect recipe for runs. Hopefully we can see it for a couple weeks before the season is over if Joey can make it back.
I just think your leadoff hitter has to be willing to take a walk.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rossko said:

As a 1-2-3?

Willie's average needs to jump 30 points, then. And his propensity for home runs, slugging, and not walking doesn't make a ton of sense at the #1 spot (nor the #2 spot, really.)

He wouldn't have RBI opportunities and neither would Gallo.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Wouldn't mind seeing Solak, Andrus, Calhoun, and Gallo in the top 4 spots. Have had my fill of seeing Mazara in the 3 or 4 hole.
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
That outfield
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Trade Gallo?

DallasAg 94
Rossko
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Rossko said:

As a 1-2-3?

Willie's average needs to jump 30 points, then. And his propensity for home runs, slugging, and not walking doesn't make a ton of sense at the #1 spot (nor the #2 spot, really.)

He wouldn't have RBI opportunities and neither would Gallo.
No no no. Not sure how that was interpreted as Willie leading off or 1-2-3. I'm talking about slotting in Gallo at 5 behind those two at 3-4 the way they have been recently.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

You live...

From the shadows...

Because I'm the hero this board deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So you'll hunt me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not your hero. I'm a silent guardian. A watchful protector. I'm AccidentProne.

bigcat22
AG
So JD is looking pretty good on this deal...

https://instagr.am/p/B2VWqhLn5vI
KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

So JD is looking pretty good on this deal...

https://instagr.am/p/B2VWqhLn5vI

So how does he look at 3B? He DH'd quite a bit when he was first called up, and I've only seen an inning or two of individual games lately, so haven't seen enough of him at 3B to have an opinion really.

OF is already log-jammed, so getting playing time there will be difficult unless we move one or two OF's in the off season. So that leaves 2b and 3b. Maybe he could at least fill in at 1b too? and of course some time at DH.

Proposition Joe
Everyone concentrating on how Odor is making ~$9-10m through 2022 all while putting up an ugly 713 OPS.

Everyone overlooking on how the guy opposite on the diamond from him is signed for around ~$15m through 2022 and sporting a 703 OPS.
TXAggie2011
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Everyone concentrating on how Odor is making ~$9-10m through 2022 all while putting up an ugly 713 OPS.

Everyone overlooking on how the guy opposite on the diamond from him is signed for around ~$15m through 2022 and sporting a 703 OPS.
Don't disagree. Elvis' production this year is problematic, but he's got a track record of being a good player. He's obviously developed more good will and he's going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

People also tend to respect lower OPS guys when they're not striking out a lot, and hitting for a higher average. And generally seem to play the game with a little more intelligence.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Home Run Derby tonight!
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

BOLD 2020 prediction.

Odor: .300, 40 HR, 25 SB, AS, GG, Top5 MVP voting.

Rangers win 2020 AL Pennant, go to the 2020 World Series.
That is very bold indeed.

Odors starting spot probably isn't safe going into 2020.
toucan82
sign me up
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

BOLD 2020 prediction.

Odor: .300, 40 HR, 25 SB, AS, GG, Top5 MVP voting.

Rangers win 2020 AL Pennant, go to the 2020 World Series.
That is very bold indeed.

Odors starting spot probably isn't safe going into 2020.
I think Odor at 2B is the only spot that is a given, in 2020. Probably Andrus is pretty solid.

DH: Choo, Gallo, Pence, Calhoun, Solak
LF: Calhoun, Gallo, Solak, Pence
CF: DeShields, Santana, Gallo
RF: Choo, Mazara
3B: IKF, Santana, Solak, External
SS: Andrus <- Tradeable
C: Mathis, Trevino
2B: Odor <- Not tradeable
1B: Forsythe, Guzman, Santana

Closer? Several
SP: Minor and Lynn are pretty solild, unless the Rangers decide to trade one.
He's not tradeable, but he can be benched or have his playing time drastically cut. The rangers would be very foolish to not consider alternatives at 2nd base after 3 straight years of relying on him faithfully and getting burned badly each time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With the sword rattling from JD and Woodward, Odor's spot is anything but secure in 2020.
AggieDPT
AG
You wanna send me some of whatever you're smoking?
DallasAg 94
Baby Billy
AG
Let's check in on Ryan Rua
https://instagr.am/p/B2mv_ltBM_b
DannyDuberstein
AG
Too bad all of that strength doesn't help him put the bat on the ball more
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.