*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,429 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's an initial cycle with any new young pitcher (or hitter) before getting a real assessment of the value they may add to a staff. We'll need to see how these young guys hold up after MLB hitters have seen them for longer. Very encouraging results so far, but also very early.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Bored off-day, so...

Lots of comments on the rotation hopefuls next year. Who are your favorites for impact in 2020?

MLB (Given):
Minor (31-L): 26 GS, 167.2 IP, 171 K, 3.17 ERA, 1.21 WHIP (25Man)
Lynn (32-R): 27 GS, 170.2 IP, 197 K, 3.85 ERA, 1.25 WHIP (25Man)

Bubble #1: On the roster and been in the rotation
Jurado (23-R): 17 GS (27G), 106.2 IP, 74 K, 5.48 ERA, 1.50 WHIP (25Man)
Sampson (27-R): 15 GS (29G), 116.0 IP, 93 K, 5.82 ERA, 1.53 WHIP (40, IL10)

Next Group #2: On the roster and "newly/recently" in the rotation
Allard (22-L-#16): 4 GS, 21.1 IP, 23 K, 4.64 ERA, 1.31 WHIP (25Man)
Burke (23-L-#7): 2 GS, 12.0 IP, 9 K, 0.75 ERA, 0.92 WHIP (25Man)
Payano (24-R): 4 GS (6G), 22.0 IP, 17 K, 5.73 ERA, 1.86 WHIP (40Man)
Palumbo (24-L-#6): 3GS (4G), 10.2 IP, 9 K, 11.81 ERA, 1.97 WHIP (40Man)

Group #3:
Edgar Arrendondo (22-R): 18 GS (19G), 3.87 ERA, 1.396 WHIP, 96.0 IP, 72 SO <-AA
Jonathan Hernandez (23-R-#12): 1G, 2.1 IP, 1 K, 0.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP (On 25) (25Man)
Tyler Phillips (21-R-#15): 21 GS (22G), 3.87 ERA, 1.146 WHIP, 118.2 IP, 89 SO <- at A+/AA

Others:
Phillips Valdez (27-R): Currently being used in the MLB BP (40Man)
Taylor Hearn (24-L-#26): Injured mid-season (IL60)
Ronald Herrera (24-R): Picked up from NNY and put on IL. Has 72.6 IP of rehab at AA and AAA. Likely moved to
Wes Benjamin (25-L-AAA)
Richelson Pena (25-R-AA/AAA)
YoMen?

A+ Guys
Jason Bahr (24): 22 GS, 2.66 ERA, 115.0 IP, 118 K, 1.113 WHIP
John King (24): 19 GS, 2.40 ERA, 97.1 IP, 91 K, 1.058 WHIP

We have 2 SPs for 2020. I think we need to pick up one from FA.

My favorites in order of how they fill in:
Allard
Jurado
Burke
If I had to fill 3 SP spots.

It is also possible JD decides to go with 6 SP. With the roster going to 26, he may elect to go with Openers, and then cycle SPs shuttling them. With the number of SPs we'll have to protect, it will be interesting. Could also be an excuse to not sign a major SP.

I think he will sign a gio Gonzalez type who is reliable and decent but hopefully not too expensive. He also might sign a grab bag of reclamation projects and Tommy John hopefuls like he always does. Some of the guys on that list could definitely use some more seasoning preferably at triple AAA ( palumbo, Sampson, Jurado, and payano).

Burke and Allard both look like they belong so far, but I'm sure the league will be making some adjustments on them soon and we will see how they react.

You gotta go with the old adage " you can never have too much pitching".
hawk1689
AG
Definitely agree that they don't need to spend 20+ on a FA pitcher. Next year will be Jurado's 3rd year in the show. I think he hit an innings wall this year and I hope they continue to pitch him even though he's been getting hammered so that he won't hit the wall again next year. I still hold out hope that YoMen has something to show. He was a better minor league pitcher than all of these more recent guys.
Proposition Joe
Both the offense and the rotation need a big add to be considered a legitimate wildcard contender. While I love what I've seen out of Burke/Allard, if you roll into 2020 with a rotation of:

1) Minor
2) Lynn
3) Gio Gonzalez
4) Allard
5) Burke

Then you're basically taking the "lets wait and see what we have and maybe make a move at the trade deadline" approach. Yes, Allard/Burke may take the next step and be legitimate back-end-rotation pieces, but there's just as good a chance that Minor/Lynn take a step back next year.

I feel like Texas has to make one big FA signing to feel good going into 2020... Either back up the truck for a front-end rotation piece (Cole), or add a big bat to help this offense have some major threat outside of Gallo and then if the rotation holds up the first 3 months see what you can swing at the deadline.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

I feel like Texas has to make one big FA signing to feel good going into 2020... Either back up the truck for a front-end rotation piece (Cole), or add a big bat to help this offense have some major threat outside of Gallo and then if the rotation holds up the first 3 months see what you can swing at the deadline.

with the new stadium, the team will have significant increased revenues starting next year. We either need to make a big free agent signing or take on some salary via a trade (salary dump if you will).
KT 90
AG
I'd like the rotation to be Minor/Lynn/Burke/Allard/ and free agent/trade acquisition. The other young arms can help with the bullpen.

On Yomen, I think he will run out of time, plus be a 40 man causality. He's pitching again, and from what I've read is throwing in the mid 90's, but the control isn't there. We only have so many spots on the 40 and I believe we have to protect him or risk losing him. He may not make it on the 40. Maybe we cut more position players and have more room for pitchers. It'll be interesting to see what JD decides.

DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
I can't believe how good montero has looked in the bullpen.

He's the pitcher version of Danny Santana this year. Literally coming out of nowhere to kick people's asses.
MSFC Aggie
AG
I need some of that kool-aid.

Outside of Gallo, Calhoun, and I guess Santana......what bright spots are on this offense for next year? Solak maybe....too early to tell.
Grapesoda2525
MSFC Aggie said:

Outside of Gallo, Calhoun, and I guess Santana......what bright spots are on this offense for next year? Solak maybe....too early to tell.
One thing I really like about solak is that he seems to have a knack for getting on base.

He's played 7 games and been on base in all of them so far.
Proposition Joe
MSFC Aggie said:

Gallo has missed 62 games this year.
Calhoun has missed 78 games this year.

Despite that, the team is 7th in runs scored.

I'm not a fan of how long-ball reliant the offense is, but it's competent.
TXAggie2011
AG
Considering how little he's on base, I find it impressive Odor is leading the league in caught stealing for the second straight year.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Quote:

Let's break that down:

April: Runs, 143 Rank, 1
May: Runs, 146 Rank, 6
June: Runs, 144 Rank, 10
July: Runs, 118, Rank, 19
August: Runs, 87 Rank, 30 (last)

So kind of a split. Which team is this.....the first half (Gallo), or the second half (no Gallo)?

August has been terrible
Grapesoda2525
MSFC Aggie said:

Quote:

Let's break that down:

April: Runs, 143 Rank, 1
May: Runs, 146 Rank, 6
June: Runs, 144 Rank, 10
July: Runs, 118, Rank, 19
August: Runs, 87 Rank, 30 (last)

So kind of a split. Which team is this.....the first half (Gallo), or the second half (no Gallo)?

August has been terrible
I do think the heat has something to do with it, but I know a lot of the struggles are on the road.
KT 90
AG
I wonder what the month by month batting stats are for Choo and Pence. It sure feels like we haven't got much from either of them since the all-star break. Then you add in Gallo being out for an extended period and yeah, the run production is going to take a big hit.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
I don't take anything from it.

Most likely a regularly scheduled day off for odor.
AggieDPT
AG
Odor needs September off
Grapesoda2525
AggieDPT said:

Odor needs September off
Would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him play 25+ games in the last month. This front office doesn't seem to know when to move on.

Since we aren't winning, kids who are getting called up should get priority for playing time.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
I was referring to guys who will be called up in a few days.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Taveras is Rule 5 eligible at the age of 20? If so, they have to keep him. He has hit well the second half of the season.
KT 90
AG
And I am surprised they are letting Jurado pitch with those neon framed glasses.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Solak reminds me of a young Michael Young. His swing is very similar. (And no I'm not trying to say he's going to be Michael young)
PatAg
AG
Damn, that DD catch
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Solak breaks ranger rookie record for most consecutive games on base to start his career.

What a breath of fresh air he is at second base.
bigcat22
AG
There's a "breath of fresh air" and "odor" joke in there somewhere, I just haven't had enough coffee yet to think of it
KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

There's a "breath of fresh air" and "odor" joke in there somewhere, I just haven't had enough coffee yet to think of it

No joke. I had thought of this too. Basically the anti-Odor, so I was thinking antiperspirant... shall we call him "Speed Stick"? Maybe that'll be enough to shake Rougie out of his slump.

I'll see myself out...

KT 90
AG
PatAg said:

Damn, that DD catch

Yes, that was a great catch. Perfect timing. His defense is pretty good, just has a noodle arm though. If he can hit consistently in the .250 range he can stick here (or somewhere) as a CF'er. If he's hitting .220 range that he typically has in the past, he is destined to be a journeyman.

First Page Last Page
Page 127 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.