*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,171 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Old Tom Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep, the guy is trouble. From last week:

Quote:

TUESDAY: The Pirates suspended Kela after he got into an altercation with Hector Morales, their director of cultural readiness and peak performance coach, Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports tweets.

MONDAY: The Pirates announced today that they have reinstated righty Keone Kelafrom the 60-day injured list. He'll move directly onto the suspended list, however, with the team also announcing a two-game suspension for an unstated violation of the Uniform Player's Contract.
wbt5845
AG
The more I look at it, the more I like the Martin-Allard trade. This guy very likely is a starter for us next year. He's better than Palumbo.

I see MLB Prospects has him at 16 in our Top 30 prospects. I think that's too low. He'll get every chance next spring to make the club.

I think ATL got fleeced.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - MLB Prospects already has Jung our #1 prospect. Damn.
jtstanley4621
AG
wbt5845 said:

The more I look at it, the more I like the Martin-Allard trade. This guy very likely is a starter for us next year. He's better than Palumbo.

I see MLB Prospects has him at 16 in our Top 30 prospects. I think that's too low. He'll get every chance next spring to make the club.

I think ATL got fleeced.
I'm fine with what we got. Honestly I think that was the best you were gonna get for Martin. Allard is only 21, and already in triple A. He's got potential, and is near MLB-ready as a backend starter. Wonder if we maybe see him when rosters expand so he can get some experience.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

BTW - MLB Prospects already has Jung our #1 prospect. Damn.
I mentioned a few pages back, that he reminds me of Teixeira (in terms of moving through the organization). It would not surprise me to see him the starting 3B in 2021.

I could see Andy Ibanez in 2020... and the two of them competing against each other for 2021.
wbt5845
AG
I seem to recall them signing Teixeira out of Georgia Tech right to the 40 man roster. And he only played one year (2002) in minors before he was up to stay. Jung is younger, so I guess he could use one more year.
gigem1223
Syndergaard off the market. Just a little more leverage for the Rangers with Minor
. . .
bigcat22
AG
Good to get some intl. money here

gigem1223
Jones is a solid reliever with options in '20 and '21. I like it
KT 90
AG

DeangeloVickers
AG
Will Jones close?
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I seem to recall them signing Teixeira out of Georgia Tech right to the 40 man roster. And he only played one year (2002) in minors before he was up to stay. Jung is younger, so I guess he could use one more year.
Remember that was before the Slot money. Teixeira held out and part of his leverage was going onto the 40Man, or he'd return to Ga Tech. They signed him in Aug of 2001 and he made his MLB debut in 2003.

Made his debut at 22.355.

Josh Jung was signed in June/July 2019. He is 21.169. So, if he gets 1 yr of minors (2020), he'd be 22.169 this time next year... 2021 would put him on the same cycle as Teixeira was.
DallasAg 94
Kolby Allard is slot in at #16, according to MLB Prospects.

105.3 The Fan in DFW is saying once they re-calibrate, he is likely Top5. They also seem to think him being assigned to the AAA rotation is likely a short-term move and could see time in Arlington this season.

They are all giddy with fairy dust, rainbows and unicorns.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

Syndergaard off the market. Just a little more leverage for the Rangers with Minor
I think the Mets announcing that was to push focus on Wheeler and drive the return. It wouldn't surprise me if both Syndergaard and Wheeler still get traded.
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers said:

Will Jones close?
Jones is on the 60IL. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers buy him out for 2020.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Kolby Allard is slot in at #16, according to MLB Prospects.

105.3 The Fan in DFW is saying once they re-calibrate, he is likely Top5. They also seem to think him being assigned to the AAA rotation is likely a short-term move and could see time in Arlington this season.

They are all giddy with fairy dust, rainbows and unicorns.
Here is the Scott Lucas take, which is a little more grounded. We will find out soon enough:

Quote:

Kolby Allard was selected 14th overall in 2015, ten picks after Dillon Tate. Despite being a high schooler, he advanced like a college pick and made his MLB debut last July. Allard was optioned three times last year, but by my calculation his post-option terms in AAA Gwinnett didn't reach 20 days, so I believe he still has two options after this season.

MLB.com slotted Allard into the #16 spot in the Texas system, and FanGraphs ranked him 23rd. The upside is the Rangers moved a good reliever with an expiring contract for an (almost) immediate rotation addition. Not to say his development is complete, but Allard is mature beyond his 21 years. He has a solid change, a curve, and is developing a cutter (about which I've read mixed reviews). This season, he's generated nearly two grounders for every fly ball. The gap between his present and future isn't huge.

The downside is it may not matter. There's a possibility that the finished version of Allard might still not be good enough to maintain a rotation spot. Allard doesn't throw hard and hasn't gained any velocity since the draft. What passed for an adequate fastball just four years ago no longer suffices. He needs pinpoint command to succeed. Even with all the grounders, he's been homer-prone, allowing 15 and a .449 slugging percentage in 110 AAA innings. (The Super Ball used in AAA now hasn't helped.) His floor is what he is right now, a Triple A starter.

So far, this deadline trade market has been tight. Despite my previous paragraph, the Rangers did receive someone who could fill a larger role for a longer period than what they gave up. I love that type of trade.

KT 90
AG
Welp, Tampa had been the likely destination for Pence. They just picked up a RH bat:

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

Here is the Scott Lucas take, which is a little more grounded. We will find out soon enough:

Quote:

Kolby Allard was selected 14th overall in 2015, ten picks after Dillon Tate. Despite being a high schooler, he advanced like a college pick and made his MLB debut last July. Allard was optioned three times last year, but by my calculation his post-option terms in AAA Gwinnett didn't reach 20 days, so I believe he still has two options after this season.

MLB.com slotted Allard into the #16 spot in the Texas system, and FanGraphs ranked him 23rd. The upside is the Rangers moved a good reliever with an expiring contract for an (almost) immediate rotation addition. Not to say his development is complete, but Allard is mature beyond his 21 years. He has a solid change, a curve, and is developing a cutter (about which I've read mixed reviews). This season, he's generated nearly two grounders for every fly ball. The gap between his present and future isn't huge.

The downside is it may not matter. There's a possibility that the finished version of Allard might still not be good enough to maintain a rotation spot. Allard doesn't throw hard and hasn't gained any velocity since the draft. What passed for an adequate fastball just four years ago no longer suffices. He needs pinpoint command to succeed. Even with all the grounders, he's been homer-prone, allowing 15 and a .449 slugging percentage in 110 AAA innings. (The Super Ball used in AAA now hasn't helped.) His floor is what he is right now, a Triple A starter.

So far, this deadline trade market has been tight. Despite my previous paragraph, the Rangers did receive someone who could fill a larger role for a longer period than what they gave up. I love that type of trade.

That sounds reasonable. Hopefully the Rangers see something they can develop, but in the end... we didn't give up much.
wbt5845
AG
Washington trades with Toronto to get Daniel Hudson. Minor just got a little more valuable.
wbt5845
AG
New power of social media - fan telling Jesse Winkler that Puig had been traded during game.

DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

New power of social media - fan telling Jesse Winkler that Puig had been traded during game.
That's messed up...
DallasAg 94
Lots of patch-work trades going on...

Pomeranz (17GS, 5.68 ERA) traded from SFG to Brewers.
Tanner Roark (21 GS, 4.24 ERA) traded from Cin to Oak.

It will be interesting to see what the post trade deadline stories are.
wbt5845
AG
Braves get closer Shane Greene from Detroit
DallasAg 94
Minor to Phillies?

From fake Twitter account...

DallasAg 94
Fake account.
wbt5845
AG
!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Only 2 minutes left. Any deals for Minor or Lynn? Were the Rangers asking too much?

I'll be glad if they are with us next year but would have liked to see us rebuild our farm system.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Evan Grant says we're all done. No more trades for the Rangers.

#BoldStrategy
Quincey P. Morris
AG
If there isn't some unannounced move that was made I sure hope they're going to commit the finances necessary to make holding on to the players they did worthwhile.
Old Tom Morris
Welp, Minor is under control for one more year and Lynn for two more. So my hope is that this is a sign they are committing to putting a winner on the field in 2020. I actually find this to be a fairly positive sign vs. the message that conducting a total firesale would have been.
rsf0626
Astros making moves all over the place and the rangers are satisfied with mediocrity. Good to know
DallasAg 94
Ranger #007 said:

If there isn't some unannounced move that was made I sure hope they're going to commit the finances necessary to make holding on to the players they did worthwhile.
It was suggested we could send Payroll over $160M, for 2020. I'll believe it when the season starts.

We have $85.7M committed in 2020.

That includes
Choo: $21M
Andrus: $15.25M
Lynn: $11.33M
Minor: $9.8M
Odor: $9.3M
Fielder: $9M
Chavez: $4M
Mathis: $3M
Leclerc: $2.75M

Options:
Kelley:

Arbs: Mazara, DeShields, Federowicz, Montero, Gallo, Biddle, Calhoun, Kolby Allard
Serfs: Guzman, IKF, Farrell, YoMen, Sampson, Jurado et al...

So:
Calhoun/Gallo-DeShields-Mazara
Santana-Andrus-Odor-Guzman
IKF/Mathis/Fed

SP: Minor-Lynn-Jurado-Sampson-Allard
RP: Leclerc, Kelley

I could see us signing Pence and Forsythe.

That's a sub-.500 Club, right there. I can't imagine rolling Jurado, Sampson and Allard. They are more healthy than we went with Miller-Smyly-Volq, but at least they had some skins on the wall.

I could see Odor and Guzman and Calhoun improving... but I could also see them status-quo.

Trading Minor and Lynn wouldn't have helped us in 2020, so not trading them won't hurt us.
DallasAg 94
rsf0626 said:

Astros making moves all over the place and the rangers are satisfied with mediocrity. Good to know
How is what the Rangers did being satisfied with mediocrity?

They weren't doing anything this year. If anything selling.

We go into 2020 with a legit #1 and a #2.
Mr Gigem
AG
rsf0626 said:

Great take. Maybe you should be in the front office since you seem to have all the answers
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.