*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,241 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94
. . . said:

Just coming to post...
KT 90
AG

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

His numbers for his age will certainly get your attention.

2018 (20-AAA): 19GS, 2.72 ERA, 112.1 IP, 89 K, 34 BB
2019 (21-AAA): 20 GS, 4.17 ERA, 110.0 IP, 98 K, 36 BB
wbt5845
AG
I think that's about as good as you could hope for a rent a reliever.
Rossko
AG
Allard is a great get for Martin. He was a top prospect a couple years ago and has regressed a bit as far as his ceiling goes as of now. I could see him turning into a solid Kenny Rogers type for the Rangers. I hope JD makes more moves like this over the next 18.5 hours.
KT 90
AG

DallasAg 94
MLB had him projected to be at the MLB level this season.

He has 8.0 IP, with 4 BB, and 3 SO... 19 Hits and 3 of those were HRs.

Here is their report on him:
Quote:

Allard is way ahead of the curve age-wise, providing hope he can figure things out. He knows he can't make a mistake over the plate and is very good to his arm side, but he needs to improve his glove side command. With a tendency to pitch away to right-handers, good hitters will sit on that, so an ability to pitch to all quadrants is essential. If he can establish that glove side command, even if off the plate, that could help him stick as a back-end starter in the big leagues.

Looks like the Braves may think he is expendable with the talent they have, knowing he is close... but has to rely solely on location. I think he'll be exciting to follow, but don't want to get too excited that he'll be a long-term SP.

I agree that is about as good as it gets for what we gave up.
DallasAg 94
Braves fans are livid...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/rangers-trade-chris-martin-braves-kolby-allard.html

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

MLB had him projected to be at the MLB level this season.

He has 8.0 IP, with 4 BB, and 3 SO... 19 Hits and 3 of those were HRs.

Here is their report on him:
Quote:

Allard is way ahead of the curve age-wise, providing hope he can figure things out. He knows he can't make a mistake over the plate and is very good to his arm side, but he needs to improve his glove side command. With a tendency to pitch away to right-handers, good hitters will sit on that, so an ability to pitch to all quadrants is essential. If he can establish that glove side command, even if off the plate, that could help him stick as a back-end starter in the big leagues.

Looks like the Braves may think he is expendable with the talent they have, knowing he is close... but has to rely solely on location. I think he'll be exciting to follow, but don't want to get too excited that he'll be a long-term SP.

I agree that is about as good as it gets for what we gave up.

Sounds like we need to keep Minor and have him help out withAllard. Minor has good overall command and they are both southpaws
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Braves fans are livid...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/rangers-trade-chris-martin-braves-kolby-allard.html

I would be livid too. RP are the easiest assets to find and I wouldn't want to give up any type of prospect unless it was a controllable RP or a dominant one. Allard might not do a lot but even if he's an innings eater for 5 years, this will look like a bad trade in retrospect for the Braves.
rsf0626
Danny santana has been such a blessing for this team. I will be pissed if we trade him
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

. . . said:

Just coming to post...
Great trade.

Even if this guy is a bust, Martin is one of the few who absolutely had to be moved.
Grapesoda2525
rsf0626 said:

Danny santana has been such a blessing for this team. I will be pissed if we trade him
I'd rather keep him for the next 5 years.

A good sign for those who want to keep Santana is that the rangers are interested in trey Mancini. Mancini is a controllable bat nearly the same age as Santana. Mancini would have 4 years of control tho and Santana has 2 after this year.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Braves fans are livid...

I would be livid too. RP are the easiest assets to find and I wouldn't want to give up any type of prospect unless it was a controllable RP or a dominant one. Allard might not do a lot but even if he's an innings eater for 5 years, this will look like a bad trade in retrospect for the Braves.
I might go so far as to say, this will look like a bad trade for the Braves unless Martin plays a role in the Braves winning the WS.
Baby Billy
AG
Sure would suck for Santana to revert back to his mean next year while we could get a pretty damn good return for him right now....
DallasAg 94
Huell Babineaux said:

Sure would suck for Santana to revert back to his mean next year while we could get a pretty damn good return for him right now....
Last April I bought $8K in AMD stock at $11. Sold it in May for basically a wash. It is trading at $33+ now.

Had I known... Now, I'm considering buying the stock at $33, knowing my luck will put it at $10 within a month.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

rsf0626 said:

I'd rather keep him for the next 5 years.

A good sign for those who want to keep Santana is that the rangers are interested in trey Mancini. Mancini is a controllable bat nearly the same age as Santana. Mancini would have 4 years of control tho and Santana has 2 after this year.
So, trade Santana and use the crumbs from the trade, to pickup Mancini and get him for 2 more years of control?
Grapesoda2525
Huell Babineaux said:

His "mean" the last 4 years is pretty damn bad.

Even if Santana "reverts" some, he could still be a very useful player for us.
Grapesoda2525
Huell Babineaux said:

I'm also skeptical about trading a very good bat right now,

Honestly, we have holes at catcher, first base, second base, and right field. Too many freaking holes. Let Santana fill one in the offseason when we are presumably going to be active in free agency.
Baby Billy
AG
Who the **** is trey Mancini? Can we get a DallasAg biography on him?
DallasAg 94
Huell Babineaux said:

Who the **** is trey Mancini? Can we get a DallasAg biography on him?
Where have you been?

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3028162/replies/54647287

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Can't say I've ever seen the pitcher full on charge the opposing dugout all by himself to start a brawl.

Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

Can't say I've ever seen the pitcher full on charge the opposing dugout all by himself to start a brawl.

What the hell did they say to him?

Jeez.
DallasAg 94
The trade deadline looms... there is anticipation as a top SP, you are going to get traded to a team in the WS hunt.

You are Stroman... espousing how great Toronto is... how great NY is... hoping the Yankees ride you to a WS ring. Instead, you get traded to the Mets. A team so disfunctional... they owe Bobby Bonilla $1.2M for the next 17 years... until 2035. A guy who hasn't played in MLB since 2001.

If you are Trevor Bauer, you now find yourself in Cincinnati. That has to be the biggest punk move in baseball?!

Instead of looking at the post-season... you find yourself playing for a team of futility.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No idea but he got at least one good shot in. Of course the Indians may have just traded for a soon to be suspended Puig.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

What was the lead up to this ruckus? #cantWeGetAlong

bigcat22
AG
Looks like our old friend Kela might have played a part in instigating the brawl...

DallasAg 94
It was likely a continuation from earlier in the season:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-manager-david-bell-yasiel-puig-ejected-after-brawl-pirates/NmsoDXzfZx7PDahjqdyqcM/

Everything I've read/seen indicate Puig was traded before the dust-up. LOL.

Could there be a better place for Bauer?!
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

Looks like our old friend Kela might have played a part in instigating the brawl...

JD appears to be on a roll lately.

I liked both of the trades with TB, I liked the trade tonight with Atlanta, and going further back, he seems to have traded Profar and kela at the right time for returns that look good right now compared to what those guys are doing at the major league level.
KT 90
AG
So who gets traded today? Pence I assume. Minor possibly. Anybody else?

gigem1223
KT 90 said:

So who gets traded today? Pence I assume. Minor possibly. Anybody else?

Minor with a slight chance of Mazara to San Diego. Don't see Pence being traded.
DallasAg 94
Bizarre deadline, IMO.

Many have speculated the NYMets traded for Stroman because they wanted him off the market. Any combination of preventing the Yankees from getting him... to cornering the market on available SP.

Mets are trying to move Syndergaard and Wheeler, so taking Stroman out, it reduces the number of available pitchers.

Now that Bauer has been sent to Cincy, one less SP... yet those in need are no better off.

I can see Minor and Lynn getting traded... but I can also see them staying.

I was compiling a list of SPs for the Rangers, and ranking them in order of likelihood to make the rotation. We have like 15 SPs that are 23+, not including the guy we just picked up, who could see the mound in Arlington. Many have to be Rule V guys. Some have had terrible years I will wait to post after the deadline.

We've seen some of Payano (24), Palumbo (24) and Phillips Valdez (27).

But, guys like (none of these are Rule V):
Jason Bahr (24, RHP-A+, AA): 17 GS, 2.89 ERA
John King (24-A, A+): 17 GS, 2.45 ERA
Add the new guy:
Kolby Allard (~22, LHP-AAA): 20GS, 4.17 ERA

As of now, we have one sure spot open in the rotation.

BTW, on a radio talk show, yesterday... they referenced this Baseball America story:

Quote:

In all, 86 of the 428 prospects traded in July deals from 2003-2014 went on to play the majority of at least two seasons in the major leagues and post a positive career WAR, as measured by Baseball-Reference. That's just 20.1 percent of all prospects moved in such trades.

That is something else to think about.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Braves fans are livid...

I might go so far as to say, this will look like a bad trade for the Braves unless Martin plays a role in the Braves winning the WS.

That's kind of the point in trades for 3-month rentals. Braves aren't making this trade thinking they'll be happier without Allard in their system.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I saw in another article that Kela was suspended for some kind of locker room issue/altercation earlier this year. That sounds familiar.
First Page Last Page
Page 110 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.