*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,351 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's hardly a stat apart from RBI that suggests Odor is actually creating runs relative to the situations he finds himself in. If you're going to set batting average aside, then you have to admit RBI gets set aside by even more people.

To wrap it all together and put it succinctly, Odor's runs created is 9th on the team.
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

There's hardly a stat apart from RBI that suggests Odor is actually creating runs relative to the situations he finds himself in. If you're going to set batting average aside, then you have to admit RBI gets set aside by even more people.

To wrap it all together and put it succinctly, Odor's runs created is 9th on the team.
I can't be the only one here who has noticed that pretty much every single odor home run has come with guys on base. Is a lot of that luck based? Yes!

Joey gallo hit more home runs then odor and most of his were solo because the ding bats ahead of him ( Mazara) couldn't get on base.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Schall 02 said:

Evan Grant's article makes sense to me. Rangers aren't going to organically compete next year either unless Odor and/or Mazara come around.
Been thinking this too. For you guys wanting to keep Santana and Minor, is that really going to help the Rangers compete next year? I think the good run they had in the first half was due to the pitching performing out of their minds. No way that was sustainable. The only core players making progress this year are Gallo and (hopefully) Calhoun. Odor, Mazara, and Guzman have shown no progress or digressed. Adding a few free agents isn't going to help much if those guys aren't contributing like they need to be. I don't keep up with the minors much, so I don't know if there is any help there for next year. If they Rangers get good offers for Minor and Santana, they should take them.....because at this point, I don't see how the Rangers are going to be much better next year.
Grapesoda2525
MSFC Aggie said:

Schall 02 said:

Evan Grant's article makes sense to me. Rangers aren't going to organically compete next year either unless Odor and/or Mazara come around.
Been thinking this too. For you guys wanting to keep Santana and Minor, is that really going to help the Rangers compete next year? I think the good run they had in the first half was due to the pitching performing out of their minds. No way that was sustainable. The only core players making progress this year are Gallo and (hopefully) Calhoun. Odor, Mazara, and Guzman have shown no progress or digressed. Adding a few free agents isn't going to help much if those guys aren't contributing like they need to be. I don't keep up with the minors much, so I don't know if there is any help there for next year. If they Rangers get good offers for Minor and Santana, they should take them.....because at this point, I don't see how the Rangers are going to be much better next year.
My logic is this:

We know minor is a bad ass. We've seen him pitch for almost 2 years. He's the kind of prospect who could really bolster the farm. If he is traded, we would be getting a hell of a return back. Minor should definitely be moved.

Danny Santana is a different story. He's had 4 bad years before this one. He's 28, he has 2 more years of making near minimum wage. We don't know after this short of a sample size how good he could be. I think just about any team in the league would like to have a guy playing at an all star level making no salary. I just don't see the rangers getting the kind of return that matches what Santana possibly could be and the amount of control they still have over him. You just said it yourself that we have tons of holes to fill because of bad position players, well Santana could fill just about any hole ( except catcher) and he seems like he could play at a high level for the next 6 or 7 years before his skills regress. I'd keep him.
bigcat22
AG
Not Odor or trade related, but wanted to take a moment and celebrate perfection. 25 years ago today.

https://instagr.am/p/B0duIwRnqdt
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I can't be the only one here who has noticed that pretty much every single odor home run has come with guys on base. Is a lot of that luck based? Yes!

Joey gallo hit more home runs then odor and most of his were solo because the ding bats ahead of him ( Mazara) couldn't get on base.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=gallojo01&year=2019&t=b

Gallo is hitting .174 with RISP. 89 PA and 42 SO (47%). 4 HR
Gallo is hitting .190 with "Men On." 131 PA and 60 SO (45.8%). 9 HRs (6.9% of PAs)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=odorro01&year=2019&t=b
Odor is hitting .321 with RISP. 89 PA and 28 SO (31.5%). 11 HR
Odor is hitting .230 with "Men On." 163 PA and 53 SO (32.5%). 13 HRs (8.0% of PAs)

I know you will say those are obscure statistics, but they absolutely 100% support your point that Odor gets more of his HRs with men on base. The problem you have... is that it isn't about chances... but success. Both had 89 PAs with runners in scoring position. You seem ok with Gallo SO 47% of the time and lack of HRs, yet seem consumed with hate that Odor SOs signficantly less AND has 3X the number of HRs.

Gallo was likely the wrong person to compare.

Cry all you want... it isn't LUCK that his HRs come with men on... it is that Odor is staying aggressive and not changing his approach. OTH, Gallo does change his approach. Right? Isn't that what you've argued... that Odor should move the runners around and quick swinging for HRs, like Gallo does?
DallasAg 94
MSFC Aggie said:

Schall 02 said:

Regarding Santana... I think his struggles were mental. Woody could have been the psychological fix for Santana. It would not surprise me, if we trade Santana, he struggles with his new team, but if we kept him, he'd continue to do well. Not provable, purely speculation, but possible.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

MSFC Aggie said:

Schall 02 said:

Regarding Santana... I think his struggles were mental. Woody could have been the psychological fix for Santana. It would not surprise me, if we trade Santana, he struggles with his new team, but if we kept him, he'd continue to do well. Not provable, purely speculation, but possible.
He definitely seems like a perfect fit. Santana knows the rangers have been good for him. I saw him saying in a newspaper article somewhere that he likes the clubhouse vibe, the coaches, and wants to be here a long time.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=gallojo01&year=2019&t=b

Gallo is hitting .174 with RISP. 89 PA and 42 SO (47%). 4 HR
Gallo is hitting .190 with "Men On." 131 PA and 60 SO (45.8%). 9 HRs (6.9% of PAs)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=odorro01&year=2019&t=b
Odor is hitting .321 with RISP. 89 PA and 28 SO (31.5%). 11 HR
Odor is hitting .230 with "Men On." 163 PA and 53 SO (32.5%). 13 HRs (8.0% of PAs)

I know you will say those are obscure statistics, but they absolutely 100% support your point that Odor gets more of his HRs with men on base. The problem you have... is that it isn't about chances... but success. Both had 89 PAs with runners in scoring position. You seem ok with Gallo SO 47% of the time and lack of HRs, yet seem consumed with hate that Odor SOs signficantly less AND has 3X the number of HRs.

Gallo was likely the wrong person to compare.

Cry all you want... it isn't LUCK that his HRs come with men on... it is that Odor is staying aggressive and not changing his approach. OTH, Gallo does change his approach. Right? Isn't that what you've argued... that Odor should move the runners around and quick swinging for HRs, like Gallo does?
There does seem to be somewhat of a "clutch" hitting gene in odor somewhere.
Grapesoda2525
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/rays-trade-ian-gibaut-to-rangers.html

Second deal done with the rays.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

MLB Rumors: The Tampa Bay Rays have traded pitcher Ian Gibaut to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Gibaut had been designated for assignment by the Rays last week.
Gibaut, 25, is a righthanded relief pitcher from Houston, Texas, who was drafted by the Rays out of Tulane University in the 11th round of the 2015 draft. He has one appearance in the majors this year. He missed the first two months of the season due to a shoulder injury. In 56 innings over 48 games last year in AAA, he had a 2.09 ERA with 75 Ks against 21 walks.
Gibaut was added to the 40 man roster this past offseason, and is on his first option. He will presumably be sent to AAA Nashville.
UPDATE The Rangers have officially announced that Gibaut has been acquired from the Rays for a player to be named later or cash, and has been optioned to AAA Nashville. To make room for him on the 40 man roster, the Rangers have transferred Jesse Biddle from the 10 day injured list to the 60 day injured list.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Quote:

MLB Rumors: The Tampa Bay Rays have traded pitcher Ian Gibaut to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later, per Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. Gibaut had been designated for assignment by the Rays last week.
Gibaut, 25, is a righthanded relief pitcher from Houston, Texas, who was drafted by the Rays out of Tulane University in the 11th round of the 2015 draft. He has one appearance in the majors this year. He missed the first two months of the season due to a shoulder injury. In 56 innings over 48 games last year in AAA, he had a 2.09 ERA with 75 Ks against 21 walks.
Gibaut was added to the 40 man roster this past offseason, and is on his first option. He will presumably be sent to AAA Nashville.
UPDATE The Rangers have officially announced that Gibaut has been acquired from the Rays for a player to be named later or cash, and has been optioned to AAA Nashville. To make room for him on the 40 man roster, the Rangers have transferred Jesse Biddle from the 10 day injured list to the 60 day injured list.

A short look at his stats in the minors and they're actually pretty good.

The rangers probably acquired him because they're planning to move Martin and / or Leclerc. I know we have several guys in the minors with a lot of potential, but why force them when they're not ready? This guy could help fill one of those spots while they develop.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

Texas Rangers rumors: Mike Minor, Lance Lynn trades possible

Texas Rangers trade rumors: Mike Minor and Lance Lynn are not slated to pitch again for Texas until after Wednesday afternoon's trade deadline, which means that each pitcher could have already pitched their final game for the Rangers.
The stories from the beat guys this morning included indications that things were relatively quiet, although the national reporters are saying that activity is not expected to crank up until Tuesday, or possibly even Wednesday in the hours before the 3 p.m. Central deadline. Jon Morosi tweeted last night that the Minnesota Twins have engaged with the Rangers on Minor, but other than that, things have been quiet on the Rangers trade front the last day or so.
Minor continues to be, along with Robbie Ray, the best pitcher that have been identified as likely to move, though I don't think it is a given Minor will get dealt. The New York Yankees, of course, have been linked with Minor, despite Minor having the Yankees on his no-trade list.
The Yankees look, to me, to be the best fit for a possible Rangers trade. Luis Severino has missed all of this season with a shoulder issue that has his return still in question. James Paxton, C.C. Sabathia, and Masahiro Tanaka all have ERAs approaching 5, and J.A. Happ has an ERA above 5. They still have a big lead in the A.L. East, but are reportedly continuing to look for rotation help.
Which makes me wonder if Lance Lynn to the Yankees could be a possibility. The Yankees, of course, acquired Lynn last summer from the Minnesota Twins, and made some adjustments that helped Lynn pitch much better post-trade. Lynn has been terrific for the Rangers so far in 2019, leading the American League in fWAR among pitchers, and the fact that the Yankees have a history with Lynn, and Lynn had success there last year (4.14 ERA, but with a 2.17 FIP), could make a move more appealing.
Clint Frazier is reportedly being "dangled" by the Yankees, and while the Rangers aren't desperate for a COF/DH type, Frazier is a righthanded hitter who deserves to be in a major league lineup now. Frazier and pitcher Deivi Garcia are the two prize players you would want to target in a trade of Minor or Lynn to the Yankees, and I'm not sure that a package that doesn't include one of those two players would be enough to get the Rangers to pull the trigger on a Lynn or Minor deal.
UPDATE Speaking of the Yankees...
Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/Yankees][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/Yankees][/url]New York Yankees

@Yankees
[url=https://twitter.com/Yankees][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1155504419359862787][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1155504419359862787][/url]

Prior to tonight's game, the Yankees placed LHP CC Sabathia on the 10-day IL with right knee inflammation and recalled INF/OF Tyler Wade (#14) from @swbrailriders.
[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1155504419359862787][/url]
10:44 AM - Jul 28, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

There does seem to be somewhat of a "clutch" hitting gene in odor somewhere.
If I were to guess? I would expect his exit velocity is pretty high, compared to the league average. When there is a shift, he has 3 guys on the right side of the field, giving the D 50% more coverage, and the 2B can play shallow RF.

With RISP, the D has to have 2 guys on the left side of the IF, playing a more traditional defense. So, he has a better chance to get a base hit. Additionally, the P has to throw more strikes, for fear of a past ball, or walking him. Thus, he gets better pitches.

Where Odor hurts himself most... is when nobody is on. If he'd lighten up and go-the-other-way, it would force defenses to play a more traditional D, at which point, he can mash the ball and have a higher BA.

This week, Odor has done a better job laying off the high pitch. However, at least 3 times he was called out on strikes by pitches clearly too high (twice) or outside (1). That works against him, because if he starts laying off the high ball and they still call it a strike, he is going to chase them. Which is likely what happened on the pitch image above.
DallasAg 94
Gibaut looks like a guy that the Rays needed off their 40 and wasn't going to help them this season. I'm guessing the return will have parameters around his success. If he does ok, then it might be a player from Pool A. If he sucks, it will be cash.

That's 2 players from the Rays we've gotten that are "meh" in terms of where they are. The equivalent of a marginal 40-Roster guy or a Rule V guys who could be contributors for a team rebuild, but blocking players who can produce, on a playoff team.
Schall 02
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Gibaut looks like a guy that the Rays needed off their 40 and wasn't going to help them this season. I'm guessing the return will have parameters around his success. If he does ok, then it might be a player from Pool A. If he sucks, it will be cash.

That's 2 players from the Rays we've gotten that are "meh" in terms of where they are. The equivalent of a marginal 40-Roster guy or a Rule V guys who could be contributors for a team rebuild, but blocking players who can produce, on a playoff team.

Tells you all you need to know about where the front office envisions the next competitive window.
Front Range Ag
AG
The radio guys just discussed the latest hissy fit by Trevor Bauer. Take a gander on the web when you get a chance. Good grief.
DallasAg 94
Doorbell said:

The radio guys just discussed the latest hissy fit by Trevor Bauer. Take a gander on the web when you get a chance. Good grief.

bigcat22
AG
Doorbell said:

Guess he didn't get enough long toss in before the game

bigcat22
AG
And not to be outdone...

Front Range Ag
AG
bigcat22 said:

Doorbell said:

Guess he didn't get enough long toss in before the game

I particularly enjoy the infielder's flinch thinking he's fixing to get smoked and the delayed centerfielder's reaction who's watching the big screen and sees a ball fly over his head. That had to be confusing.
gigem1223
Elvis has sucked with risp
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, his production is more 2 hole level.
Old Tom Morris
Willie Calhoun
DallasAg 94
Stroman to NYMets. Team control for 2019 and 2020, then FA.
NYM #4 LHP Anthony Kay (24). Projected as mid-rotation-type SP. AA: 12 GS, 1.49 ERA, AAA: 7 GS, 6.61 ERA, 66.1 IP, 70K
NYM #6 RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson (18). A: 20 GS, 4.25 ERA, 78.1 IP, 97 K, 17 BB
- #48 pick by NYM in 2018 draft.

Kay may compare to Joe Palumbo (24-Ranges #6). AA: 10 GS, 3.19 ERA, 53.2 IP, 69 K, AAA: 3 GS, 3.38 ERA, 13.1 IP, 20 K
Simeon may compare to Hans Crouse (20-Rangers #3)? Crouse: A: 14GS, 3.77 ERA, 62.0 IP, 58K

If we were competing for 2019, and had Minor and Lynn for 2020, I'd say it would be worth giving up those 2.

Not sure if that is the complete package (or if it is accurate), but that is what was rumored.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Leclerc.....no bueno
Mr Gigem
AG
When did we re-hire Banny??? Why TF are we throwing Leclerc three days in a row????
AggieDPT
AG
Guessing we aren't throwing Martin so he doesn't get hurt before the deadline? You can tell Leclerc doesn't need to be out there though
Front Range Ag
AG
Whelp...

Davis May very well win it for them if he see's good pitches, but you have to take the chance.
DallasAg 94
Maybe that was a call from the FO... Give Leclerc the opportunity for a Save, and let's see if we can dump him.

Tongue-in-cheek about it being from the FO... but you get the point...
AggieDPT
AG
Ready for the deadline to be over and the players look like it too. I'm sure they're over all the rumors and wondering who sticks around
Grapesoda2525
Leclerc should never close games again. He just doesn't have that killer instinct. Now is where the Shawn Kelley injury reared it's ugly head.
DallasAg 94
In fairness to Leclerc... that was his 3rd straight day to pitch... and has pitched 4 of the last 5 days.

He was clean in those 3 prior games, going 2.1 IP and 4 SO.

He had a 1.80 ERA for the month of July, pitching 10.0 IP in 11 G.

He threw 31 PC in relief today.

I'm going to put this one on Woody.

In fairness to Woody, he has crap for RP:

C Martin <- Unavailable due to back stiffness.

Chavez - RP-SP-RP <- Pitched in game
B Martin: 32G, 38.0 IP <- Pitched in game

Kyle Bird (26): 11G, 12.1 IP, 8.03 ERA <- That is his MLB Career
Phillips Valdez (27): 8G, 10.0 IP, 4.50 ERA <- That is his MLB Career
Guerreiri (26): 5G, 6.0 IP, 6.00 ERA. Career 5.40 ERA in 15.0 IP <- Pitched in game
Rafael Montero (28): 2G, 3.2 IP. Career 5.28 ERA in 196.0 IP. <- Pitched yesterday

Ready for the trade deadline to be over.

KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
Not sure I'm buying the back soreness. He's getting traded soon imo. That was kinda unfair to leclerc, but oh well.

First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.