*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,671 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90 said:

If we can't clear the glut of OF's, need to consider moving Gallo back to 1B this off season. I know they don't want to change positions on him during the season, but off season should be more palatable.

Would definitely fill a big hole.

I don't want to give up on condor, but the guy just hasn't been hitting. He had a nice HR against the Astros, but they've been too far in between.
hawk1689
AG
I'd rather they move Calhoun to 1B. He has infield experience.
jtstanley4621
AG
KT 90 said:

If we can't clear the glut of OF's, need to consider moving Gallo back to 1B this off season. I know they don't want to change positions on him during the season, but off season should be more palatable.
Can't waste Gallo's arm at 1B in my opinion
Grapesoda2525
hawk1689 said:

I'd rather they move Calhoun to 1B. He has infield experience.
Might as well give Calhoun the nickname

"Squeak little ***** Scolari" because that's how the rangers treat him.
gigem1223
KT 90 said:

Would rather move Maz to 1st. Gallo can be an asset in the OF, while Maz is a defensive liability.
Old Tom Morris
Gallo is probably their best defensive OF. Would be a good potential solve for that sloth Mazara though
Baby Billy
AG
****ing terrible move. Calhoun is hitting .300+

Send down Guzman for Chirst's sake. Let Forsyth, Santana, and Cabrera (who is also garbage) handle first base
AggieDPT
AG
I'd be pissed if I was Calhoun.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, I'm not sure whose bowl of Cheerios that Calhoun pissed in, but his handling has been odd
DallasAg 94
Huell Babineaux said:

Send down Guzman for Chirst's sake. Let Forsyth, Santana, and Cabrera (who is also garbage) handle first base
Calhoun is actually batting .277. He has a .179 BA in July. Calhoun throws right-handed and is 5'8"- ISH...

Guzman is 6'5", throws left-handed and is pretty good at 1B.

Santana, as of 2 months ago, had never played 1B. A career 13 games at 1B, and he is the guy moving forward at 1B?

Calhoun was the logical choice to send down.
94chem
The Fairbanks trade was interesting. It's like they called him up to showcase him. But while he was here, he never threw his change up, which was his dominant pitch. Then they flip him for a 2B prospect. Makes me wonder how much was planned weeks in advance, and if there's a companion move planned.
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

Huell Babineaux said:

Calhoun is actually batting .277. He has a .179 BA in July. Calhoun throws right-handed and is 5'8"- ISH...

Santana, as of 2 months ago, had never played 1B. A career 13 games at 1B, and he is the guy moving forward at 1B?

Calhoun - .802 OPS, 102 wRC+
Guzman - .698 OPS, 73 wRC+

I understand the defensive stance but Santana has yet to commit an error at first and fields at 100% (small sample I know).

Dumb decision period if you ask me
DallasAg 94
gigem1223 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Huell Babineaux said:

Calhoun - .802 OPS, 102 wRC+
Guzman - .698 OPS, 73 wRC+

I understand the defensive stance but Santana has yet to commit an error at first and fields at 100% (small sample I know).

Dumb decision period if you ask me
After his 1st 2 games, Calhoun has on OPS of .702. Sign that it took 2 games to figure him out?

Maybe Calhoun is struggling more that the season numbers offer?
agsalaska
AG
This Young guy is brutal. He reminds me of a 90s Braves pitcher. I am going to like this guy a lot if he can keep pitching like this.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Grapesoda2525
Listening to tags how spiel.....

I think the reason some guys are upset is they're looking around at other players who aren't performing and those guys have been protected. The front office isn't really being fair in my opinion.

The front office doesn't seem to have "the best players will play" philosophy.
Old Tom Morris
Yep. Not overpowering but everything is located well with great movement.
Old Tom Morris
Did Gallo just scratch/scrape his head and then smell his fingers?
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

KT 90 said:

Would rather move Maz to 1st. Gallo can be an asset in the OF, while Maz is a defensive liability.

Good point, I agree. Maz probably makes more sense, need to start working him there and continue over the off season. He has limited range in the OF, Gallo is much better plus has an arm. I threw Gallo out there because he has played there before and didn't really think it through.

KT 90
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Yeah, I'm not sure whose bowl of Cheerios that Calhoun pissed in, but his handling has been odd
Yeah, when people project the OF for 2020, Calhoun is always one of them. Kind of silly to keep slapping him in the face. He has clearly outplayed some others on the current roster.

KT 90
AG
Quote:

Calhoun was the logical choice to send down
Disagree here. No way Guzman deserves to stay over Calhoun. Santana/Forsythe and even Mazara (if we start working him there) can hold down first. Can't be a MLB 1B hitting .200ish. I know he has a good glove, but not that good. 1B is a spot that you need some production out of.

As I type... Santana makes a nice play at 1B

94chem
Poor Cron. That's how you execute a scouting report.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Listening to tags how spiel.....

I think the reason some guys are upset is they're looking around at other players who aren't performing and those guys have been protected. The front office isn't really being fair in my opinion.

The front office doesn't seem to have "the best players will play" philosophy.
100% that Calhoun has produced more than several others on the roster. It does suck that we have too many LH bats, and that is part of the problem of course, but yikes Calhoun doesn't deserve to be sent down.

94chem
Maybe he can watch some 2A girls softball, and come back up with a stronger arm.
KT 90
AG
Gallo!!!

KT 90
AG
Jeez, outside of Gallo, we don't seem to have an OF who can make a decent throw. Another terrible throw just now, this time by Choo.

Mazara actually has a pretty good arm, but to offset the arm he is slower than molasses and can't get to much of anything

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Calhoun was the logical choice to send down
Disagree here. No way Guzman deserves to stay over Calhoun. Santana/Forsythe and even Mazara (if we start working him there) can hold down first. Can't be a MLB 1B hitting .200ish. I know he has a good glove, but not that good. 1B is a spot that you need some production out of.

As I type... Santana makes a nice play at 1B

Maybe the rangers are playing the marketing angle.

Guzman does the splits, it looks cool, and the condor is a cool nickname. Maybe the guy sells jerseys?

We've gotten far enough into the season where " just put him out there and hope the bat develops" shouldn't be good enough. He needs to go down to the minors and try again in spring training next year, or he could be a callup in September.
Schall 02
AG
I would hope this franchise, given its history, would over value a high-quality defensive right fielder.
Grapesoda2525
Spontaneous combustion in the 9th!

Yikes
Grapesoda2525
So many mistakes

Holy crap.
wbt5845
AG
The goal of this season remains - determine which young players are part of a championship roster down the road. Guzman has the tools - he's gonna get all season to show what he can or cannot do.
gomerschlep
AG
Schall 02 said:

I would hope this franchise, given its history, would over value a high-quality defensive right fielder.
KT 90
AG
https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/7/17/20697915/mlb-trade-rumors-mike-minor-texas-rangers-milwaukee-brewers-philadelphia-phillies-new-york-yankees

Texas Rangers rumors: Mike Minor likely to be traded, per report
Jon Morosi says Mike Minor is "increasingly likely" to be traded by the July 31 deadline

Quote:

MLB Trade Rumors: Mike Minor, Texas Rangers starting pitcher, is "increasingly like" to be dealt by the July 31 trade deadline, with the Milwaukee Brewers and Philadelphia Phillies mentioned as among the most interested teams, per Jon Morosi on Twitter.
The Mike Minor situation is a major storyline right now, with Jeff Passan saying in his column today that the Rangers and the Arizona Diamondbacks (who could move Robbie Ray) could be buy-and-sell teams should they decide that they are not realistic playoff contenders this year. Passan notes that the Rangers are opening a new park in 2020, and what to be competitive rather in the throes of a rebuild as part of that, which could mean seeing the Rangers deal Minor but also go out and acquire a controllable player or two at the same time.
The fact that MLB has just one trade deadline now July 31, 2019 means that teams have to commit earlier than in past years, when you could have waiver deals up through August 31, 2019. While the Rangers have been a great story this year, staying above .500 and making noise in a year they were expected to be a non-factor, they are currently 4 back in the Wild Card and 8.5 games back of the Houston Astros. There's likely to be high demand for Minor, who has pitched like a Cy Young candidate this year and who is under contract for a reasonable amount for 2020, as well as a market for outfielder Hunter Pence, who was named to the All Star team as part of a resurgent 2019 campaign, and whose departure would open up a roster spot for Willie Calhoun.
The Brewers make a lot of sense as a buyer, given they've been aggressive in the last year-plus, are just 2.5 games back of the Cubs in the N.L. Central despite a 49-47 record, and are a half-game back of Philadelphia for a Wild Card berth. The Phillies are well back of the Atlanta Braves, making it harder for them to justify an aggressive buy, though they are in the thick of the Wild Card race. And both Milwaukee and Philadelphia are looking to contend through 2020, making Minor, who wouldn't be a rental, attractive.
The Atlanta Braves are the team that we have been hoping would decide to get aggressive for starting pitching, as they have Max Fried and Kevin Gausman on the injured list and Mike Foltynewicz in the minors in the midst of a bad season, and a deep, strong farm system. 20 year old AA centerfielder Christian Pache would be the dream target, but he's almost certainly unavailable from the Braves however, they do have another 20 year old center fielder in AA, Drew Waters, who is seen as a top 50 prospect, and who is slashing .335/.378/.511 (although with an alarming 105 strikeouts in 392 plate appearances). Atlanta is also laden with upper level starting pitching prospects that would interest the Rangers.
The New York Yankees are the other team that would seem to be a good fit, if Minor went on the block. J.A. Happ, the team's big free agent signing this offseason, has been a disappointment, and Luis Severino is expected to be out through August. In James Paxton and Masahiro Tanaka, they have two quality pitchers who are going to have ongoing questions about their ability to stay healthy. And in Deivi Garcia, they have a young, talented, but under-sized starting pitcher who has jumped up to AAA while racking up insane K rates. Garcia and Clint Frazier, a righthanded hitting defensively-challenged outfielder, would seem to be prime trade chips the Yankees could use if they get aggressive.
The trade deadline is exactly two weeks away. Buckle up, because there's going to be a whole lot of smoke around the Rangers the next fourteen days.

KT 90
AG
*if we trade Minor, it needs to be for young pitching primarily. The article above makes mention of several CF's?? We have Taveras, Martinez, and Thompson at various levels of development. Not sure why we'd make a young CF a centerpiece of a trade, unless it's an upgrade on one of our young CF's and we package one of our CF's in the trade.

We need: pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Then maybe a 3B or a 1B.

wbt5845
AG
Get the best players you can and work trades with the prospects you have to get the prospects you need.

If the best thing out there is a Top 50 overall who happens to be a CF, get him and trade one of your other CFs for what you need.

The teams that want Minor dont necessarily have the prospects you really want.
Grapesoda2525
Better be a good return.
First Page Last Page
Page 101 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.