*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,807 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Seven Costanza
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Obviously Choo's contract has not been good, but has it really been as much of a disaster as it seemed early on? What do the advanced stats say?

Quote:

Minor was rough in his last outing too. At the time, not unreasonable to chalk it up to the Skaggs situation, but given the change in their decision to give him extended rest, not start him the first game back, tonight's shaky start, ending his night after 92 pitches, etc, I'm starting to get a bit concerned something might be going on.
Could just be regression to the mean.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It could be. It's just their handling of him, and doing so after just the one start that was off, that seems a little unusual. Now if he was actually hurt, they'd still be sitting him. But it does make me think both Minor and the team are acknowledging some sort of fatigue issue. It was an abrupt deviation from their previous plan.

I'm not sure we know what the mean is on Minor due to his injury history. He was a beast in 2013 performing not far off of what he's been this year, which was his 2nd year as a MLB starter and before the long injury amd recovery journey.
Seven Costanza
AG
I agree that there is likely something up, but I don't think his mean is anywhere near a 2.50-3.00 ERA. I haven't looked at xFIP and all of those numbers in years, though, so not sure what his advanced stats are saying.
Rossko
AG
His FIP is at 3.81 with a career of 3.87 so right in line. Although most years he has been well above or well below that number so not consistent. His xFIP & SIERA would actually point to a positive regression to the mean. He has a career of 4.02 & 3.90 for those stats respectively and is currently sitting at 4.41 in both.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, his career averages are kind of worthless with the injury interruption and rebuild. He was great his 2nd year of starting full time during his first pre-injury go-around, and he has been great now in his 2nd year of starting full time in his 2nd go around.
DallasAg 94
The Rangers trade for Solak got me looking at 2B prospects across the league. Solak was rated a Top 10 2B'er, so my question was why did TB give him up (Rule V) and who else do they have?! Brujan, I believe is also Rule V eligible by Tampa.

Nick Solak becomes the Rangers #10 overall prospect, per MLB. And while we have several players listed as INF, or SS/2B, he appears to be the best 2B prospect in our organization.

Top (10) MLB 2B Prospects:
*Brendan Rodgers (22-RH): #3 pick 2015. AAA Colorado: .350, 9 HR, 0 SB
**Keston Hiura (22-RH): #9 pick 2017. AAA Mil: .329, 19 HR, 7 SB
*Luis Urias (22-RH): Int'l. AAA SD: .316, 18 HR, 7 SB
-Nick Madrigal (22-RH): #4 pick in 2018. A+ CWS: .272, 2 HR, 17 SB
-Vidal Brujan (21-SH): Intl'l. AA TB: .352, 1 HR, 10 SB
-Xavier Edwards (19-SH): #38 in 2018. A+ SD
-Jahmai Jones (21-RH): #70 in 2015. AA-LAAA. .202, 4 HR, 5 SB
-Isan Diaz (23-LH): #70 in 2014. AAA-Flo. .291, 20 HR, 4 SB
Nick Solak (24-RH): #62 in 2016. AAA-Tex. .266, 17 HR, 3 SB
*Shed Long (23-LH): #375 in 2013. AAA-Sea. .279, 8 HR, 1 SB

- means they have not made their MLB debut
* means they have played a few games in MLB, but are currently in minors
** means they have a few MLB games and currently on the MLB roster.

Top Rangers prospects:
Christian Lopes (26: AAA, AA) - .291, 9 HR, 12 SB
Yonny Hernandez (21: AA, A+) - .301, 0 HR, 21 SB
Diosbel Arias (22: A+) - .302, 2 HR, 3 SB

Article on MLBTR indicates Tampa may be buyers in the trade market. It also mentions they have a bunch of Rule V guys after the season. It would make a lot of sense for Tampa to move many players like Brujan and Solak, to consolidate talent for higher end players. If you can trade 2 guys that may be taken on Rule V, next year for a player under contract for 2-3 years, it is a win, for them.

Tampa could have the ability to get really, really good for this season and the next. It has been their methodology, along with the Marlins, to stockpile talent... concentrate it for a couple year run and win a WS. Then, sell the performers and start all over.

I wonder if they could end up being the team to beat, in the AL this year.
bigcat22
AG
Welp not the best start so far
DallasAg 94

AggieDPT
AG
Today might be a blowout with Verlander going
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

The Rangers trade for Solak got me looking at 2B prospects across the league. Solak was rated a Top 10 2B'er, so my question was why did TB give him up (Rule V) and who else do they have?! Brujan, I believe is also Rule V eligible by Tampa.

Nick Solak becomes the Rangers #10 overall prospect, per MLB. And while we have several players listed as INF, or SS/2B, he appears to be the best 2B prospect in our organization.

Top (10) MLB 2B Prospects:
*Brendan Rodgers (22-RH): #3 pick 2015. AAA Colorado: .350, 9 HR, 0 SB
**Keston Hiura (22-RH): #9 pick 2017. AAA Mil: .329, 19 HR, 7 SB
*Luis Urias (22-RH): Int'l. AAA SD: .316, 18 HR, 7 SB
-Nick Madrigal (22-RH): #4 pick in 2018. A+ CWS: .272, 2 HR, 17 SB
-Vidal Brujan (21-SH): Intl'l. AA TB: .352, 1 HR, 10 SB
-Xavier Edwards (19-SH): #38 in 2018. A+ SD
-Jahmai Jones (21-RH): #70 in 2015. AA-LAAA. .202, 4 HR, 5 SB
-Isan Diaz (23-LH): #70 in 2014. AAA-Flo. .291, 20 HR, 4 SB
Nick Solak (24-RH): #62 in 2016. AAA-Tex. .266, 17 HR, 3 SB
*Shed Long (23-LH): #375 in 2013. AAA-Sea. .279, 8 HR, 1 SB

- means they have not made their MLB debut
* means they have played a few games in MLB, but are currently in minors
** means they have a few MLB games and currently on the MLB roster.

Top Rangers prospects:
Christian Lopes (26: AAA, AA) - .291, 9 HR, 12 SB
Yonny Hernandez (21: AA, A+) - .301, 0 HR, 21 SB
Diosbel Arias (22: A+) - .302, 2 HR, 3 SB

Article on MLBTR indicates Tampa may be buyers in the trade market. It also mentions they have a bunch of Rule V guys after the season. It would make a lot of sense for Tampa to move many players like Brujan and Solak, to consolidate talent for higher end players. If you can trade 2 guys that may be taken on Rule V, next year for a player under contract for 2-3 years, it is a win, for them.

Tampa could have the ability to get really, really good for this season and the next. It has been their methodology, along with the Marlins, to stockpile talent... concentrate it for a couple year run and win a WS. Then, sell the performers and start all over.

I wonder if they could end up being the team to beat, in the AL this year.
Ummm they have a 24 year old All Star there currently bud.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lowebr01.shtml
Rossko
AG
To whomever thought it was a terrible idea when I mentioned going after Homer Bailey for cheap...

DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

To whomever thought it was a terrible idea when I mentioned going after Homer Bailey for cheap...

Maybe I missed it, but I even did a search...when did you mention Homer Bailey?

TexAgs search isn't very reliable, but I was curious who thought it was a terrible idea?!

Having said that... Homer Bailey isn't the guy I would be looking to add to the top of my rotation.
Danny Vermin
We got two back at least.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Good AB by Odor. Battled back from a bad count and beat the shift by hitting one to the left of second base. Too bad Maz wasn't thinking out there
Rossko
AG
Rossko said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Rossko said:

Scherzer is a slim to none chance. If the Nationals pull the trigger on him they are going to need a haul in return. The Rangers farm system doesn't have enough ammo even if you basically wiped the cupboard bare.

I would rather they make a smaller move now for a cheap to acquire type like these guys who may step it up in a playoff race:

Dan Straily BAL
Homer Bailey KC
Tanner Roark CIN
Jeff Samardzija SF

They are all in their 30s on bad teams but have a history of success as a solid mid rotation starter. If you grab one of them to replace Smyly you keep your main prospects for the "rebuild" while keeping the team in contention. This assumes that Palumbo isn't quite ready and Hearn needs more seasoning once healthy.

I disagree about homer bailey. Saw him pitch twice against us and wasn't impressed.
He has a 4.38 FIP overall & if you take out the starts against us (2nd highest run scoring team) he has a 1.35 WHIP. We are just looking for a cheap, solid backend starter here, not an ace.
So terrible was the wrong word to use so apologies for that but I thought would've been a good move at the time and we could've used him during his recent good stretch for sure.
Rossko
AG
Back on June 13th. Yeah you thought it wouldn't make sense to improve chances to make the WC game. It's almost a no cost transaction and the goal is to win games here.
wbt5845
AG
Next time they zoom in on a left handed batter, check out the dude right in the line of sight in the stands. Gotta be at least 5 bills.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

Back on June 13th. Yeah you thought it wouldn't make sense to improve chances to make the WC game. It's almost a no cost transaction and the goal is to win games here.
Found it. Thanks. Not sure why TexAgs search didn't find it for me.

I didn't address Homer Bailey specifically, but summarily dismissed the lot, and still feel the same way.

You followed up with if we do nothing and the 5th GS is an auto loss, we fall from even getting the WC option for Minor to start. That was actually in the options I mentioned. If we do nothing...

Whether Bailey, Chavez, Sampson, Jurado... or someone else... it might get us closer to reaching the WC, but if we only have Minor and Lynn, our season would be better off fading out of the WC and selling the pieces.

Pick the guy in the Rangers' rotation that you think Bailey would replace, and we can track them.

Sampson has been coming out of the BP, because we have a couple days off and won't need a 5th SP.

Minor, Lynn, Jurado, Chavez & Sampson

I'd like to see Chavez moved back into the BP, but he and Woody may have a different plan. They may want to keep Chavez in the rotation. Also, let's see what Oak gives up for him. Probably nothing.

Is Bailey a terrible move? Probably not. But we picked up ABD, which could prove to provide an equal benefit.
wbt5845
AG
Typically, girls in the navy look nothing like that.
wbt5845
AG
Jurado may have 90 pitches in 3 innings
DallasAg 94
Wish we had Choo playing RF as a defensive replacement during the WS.
Cy_Tolliver
I don't know who Katie Ingelson is, but I'm firmly on her corner (on any topic)
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

Found it. Thanks. Not sure why TexAgs search didn't find it for me.

I didn't address Homer Bailey specifically, but summarily dismissed the lot, and still feel the same way.

You followed up with if we do nothing and the 5th GS is an auto loss, we fall from even getting the WC option for Minor to start. That was actually in the options I mentioned. If we do nothing...

Whether Bailey, Chavez, Sampson, Jurado... or someone else... it might get us closer to reaching the WC, but if we only have Minor and Lynn, our season would be better off fading out of the WC and selling the pieces.

Pick the guy in the Rangers' rotation that you think Bailey would replace, and we can track them.

Sampson has been coming out of the BP, because we have a couple days off and won't need a 5th SP.

Minor, Lynn, Jurado, Chavez & Sampson

I'd like to see Chavez moved back into the BP, but he and Woody may have a different plan. They may want to keep Chavez in the rotation. Also, let's see what Oak gives up for him. Probably nothing.

Is Bailey a terrible move? Probably not. But we picked up ABD, which could prove to provide an equal benefit.
Chavez would definitely help the bullpen but just track Bailey vs all non Minor/Lynn SP and see how it goes. Not sure who will be the worst of the 5 from here on but would be willing to bet Bailey is better than at least one of them. He is also from Texas and we've seen what kind of a bump (Pence) that hometown/state boost could potentially do.
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

Chavez would definitely help the bullpen but just track Bailey vs all non Minor/Lynn SP and see how it goes. Not sure who will be the worst of the 5 from here on but would be willing to bet Bailey is better than at least one of them. He is also from Texas and we've seen what kind of a bump (Pence) that hometown/state boost could potentially do.

Ok. But, we start tracking Jurado after today.
wbt5845
AG
Who are these guys pitching for the Rangers?
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

Who are these guys pitching for the Rangers?
JAGs.

You look at our BP, and wonder why would we even think we are considering a WC spot.

Phillips Valdez (27) - Signed as a FA in Dec 2018. MLB debut June 8
Jesse Biddle (27) - Picked up off waivers June 28, 2019, from Seattle. Played for Braves last year.
Kyle Bird (26) - A throw-in for Profar in Dec. 6.2 IP in MLB. MLB debut Opening Day.
DallasAg 94
Kyle Bird: 6.2 IP, 5 H, 3 HR, 11 BB, 5 SO, 6 ER.
Cy_Tolliver
Jeez you send a guy out there with nearly a 7 ERA who hasn't pitched in two mnnths and bases loaded?
Why not just forfeit the game?
DallasAg 94
Cy_Tolliver said:

Jeez you send a guy out there with nearly a 7 ERA who hasn't pitched in two mnnths and bases loaded?
We have tomorrow and Thurs off.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Kyle Bird: 6.2 IP, 5 H, 3 HR, 11 BB, 5 SO, 6 ER.
Kyle Bird: 7.1 IP, 6 H, 4 HR, 11 BB, 6 SO, 8 ER.

I think I got that right.
Damn, can't even update quick enough

Kyle Bird: 7.1 IP, 7 H, 4 HR, 11 BB, 6 SO, 8 ER.

AggieDPT
AG
Seriously hope they don't decide to buy with these team. They've done better than anyone ever thought, but there's just not enough there this season.
wbt5845
AG
I look on the bright side - I've wanted them to sell since May - games like this help me get my way.
wbt5845
AG
Cy_Tolliver said:

They basically did.
wbt5845
AG
Have I said I hate Odor today?

No?

Well, I hate Odor.
Grapesoda2525
Not ashamed to admit that I skipped this game.

The combination of blowing a favorable pitching matchup and the chance to win a series paired with a daunting pitching matchup today told me that this was a good one to skip.

I simply don't think we have the depth to win 4 game series.

The Red Sox and Astros series ended up being very disappointing when you consider we actually won the first 2.
First Page Last Page
Page 99 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.