*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,833 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

Interesting bit of trivia - only 7 first overall draft picks have won a league MVP award - and three of them did it as Rangers.

Jeff Bouroughs
Chipper Jones
Alex Rodriguez
Ken Griffey, Jr.
Bryce Harper
Joe Mauer
Josh Hamilton

I've also found it odd how many former #1 overall picks have worn a Ranger uniform:

Jeff Bourouhgs
Dave Roberts
David Clyde
Floyd Bannister
Harold Baines
Phil Nevin
Alex Rodriguez
Kris Benson
Josh Hamilton
Adrian Gonzalez
Matt Bush
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not sure I've seen that type of Hbp before
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I don't see MY as Baseball HoF worthy nor having his number retired. The way I see Rangers historical pecking order:

First level greats - In Baseball HoF - Pudge, Beltre, Ryan. Not just all HoFers, but first ballot guys.

Second level greats - AL MVP - Juan Gonzalez, Jeff Burroughs, A-Rod, Josh Hamilton

Third level greats - Texas Rangers HoF - Jim Sundberg, Michael Young, Jeff Russell, Kenny Rogers, Ruben Sierra, Toby Harrah, Rusty Greer, Buddy Bell, Fegie Jenkins, Charlie Hough. (Leaving our John Wettland for obvious reasons).

If you wanted to move anyone from that third level to second, Sundberg and Bell would be my choices. For multiple seasons, they were the best in the AL at their respective positions.
Worth Noting (Stats as a Ranger):
Michael Young: 1823 G (1st), 2230 H (1st), 415 Doubles (1st), 177 HRs (7th), 55 Triples (1st)

Pudge Rodriguez: 1507 G (5th), 1747 H, 217 HRs (4th)
Raffy Palmeiro: 1573 G (2nd), 1692 H, 321 HRs (2nd)
Adrian Beltre: 1098 G, 1277 H, 199 HRs (5th)

Juan Gonzalez: 1400 G (6th), 1595 H, 372 HRs (1st)
Jeff Burroughs: 700 G, 645 H, 108 HRs
A-Rod: 485 G, 569 H, 156 HRs
Hamilton: 697 G, 814 H, 150 HRs

Sundberg: 1512 G (4th), 1180 H, 60 HRs
Sierra: 1190 G (8th), 1281 H, 180 HRs
Toby Harrah: 1355 G (7th), 1174 H, 124 HRs
Greer: 1027 G, 1166 H, 119 HRs
Bell: 958 G, 1060 H, 87 HRs

Not mentioned:
Frank Howard: 1172 G (9th), 1141 H, 246 HR (3rd)

Active:
Andrus: 1538 G (3rd), 1635 H (4th)
Odor: 115 HRs (19th), 25 Triples (8th)

Greatest Ranger ever?
Grapesoda2525
Huell Babineaux said:

gigem1223 said:

How does a fast 2nd baseman not know how to lay down a bunt down the 3rd baseline? Rougie could bunt a damn double nearly every time if he'd quit thinking he's Hank frickon Aaron.

Because he wants to pop off a bomb and show off all his swag. Makes me sick when I see him hit a HR and stunt around the basepaths like he doesn't have the worst average in the entire league
Santana only needed 1 at bat tonight to do what Roogie tried to do 4 times and failed.

It will be a travesty if Santana is traded or not kept. The guy is too good of a fit for the team and he probably has another good 5+ years in him. He's 28 I think.
hawk1689
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Greatest Ranger ever?
Pudge, and it's not even close. He's the only HOF'er that we can completely call our own. You can also make the case that he's the GOAT.

It may be heresy around here, but I think it's embarrassing how much this franchise has tied itself to Nolan Ryan. He only spent 5 of his twilight years with the Rangers and while they were mostly quality years, they weren't special. Ferguson Jenkins was statistically a better pitcher for the Rangers and throughout his career. He was also the closest a Ranger pitcher has ever come to winning a Cy Young award.
wbt5845
AG
Nolan gets all the ink he did because he came at a time the franchise desperately need a marquee name. Hell, one could argue he saved the franchise.

As an aside, here are our starters in 1989, Nolan's first year here. Would we not kill for this kind of production today?

Nolan Ryan - 32 GS, 239 IP, 16-10, 3.20 ERA, 301 K
Kevin Brown - 28 GS, 191 IP, 12-9, 3.35 ERA, 104 K
Mike Jeffcoat - 22 GS, 130 IP, 9-6, 3.58 ERA, 64 K
Charlie Hough - 30 GS, 182 IP, 10-13, 4.35 ERA, 94 K
Jamie Moyer - 15 GS, 76 IP, 4-9, 4.86 ERA, 44 K
Bobby Witt - 31 GS, 194 IP, 12-13, 5.14 ERA, 166 K

MSFC Aggie
AG
Hough....loved that guy. Didn't he smoke in the dugout between innings?
wbt5845
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'll admit I've struggled a bit with Nolan's short time here. But he did hit so many special moments that the game will likely never see again during his tenure here, and I think it sparked an interest that certainly helped push through getting taxpayer support for the Ballpark to be built (vote was early 1991). Now sure, that probably happens eventually with or without Nolan, but the interest and spark he gave the franchise sure didn't hurt.

That is the timeframe in which, as a franchise, they transitioned from being a 20 year joke to a contender with a real ballpark. Now Nolan wasn't here for the true contending and winning, but I think he was a factor in laying the foundation for the steps forward the franchise took after his stay.
Mr Gigem
AG
Smyly DFAd. Thank the Lord
wbt5845
AG
AccidentProne said:

Haha.

Palumbo starts last night and gives up 5 in 1st inning.

Rangers say "Yeah, that's still better than Smyly"

DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

AccidentProne said:

Haha.

Palumbo starts last night and gives up 5 in 1st inning.

Rangers say "Yeah, that's still better than Smyly"

Hopefully Woody and the Pitching C see something with Palumbo.

Sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. I didn't see the game, but after his 1st GS, Woody said he pitched well, even though he gave up some late runs. One mistake can put a 3R HR in the books, even though you pitched well.

With Smyly? Sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story. I think he was worse than his stats.

We've gone from 4 SPs who had TJ in the past 3 yrs, to 3 young, unproven SPs and one TJ. Not sure their injury history.
Grapesoda2525
Jesse Chavez to join rotation. Hopefully it's just a band aid for 2 or 3 starts. I'd rather him be in the bullpen.

I'd still like to see this team trade for a controllable starter. They should be available from teams already out of the hunt, but I guess we have to wait a few weeks for the trade market to get going.

Controllable starter means a guy who helps you this year and the next year or two so it wouldn't be a waste for you rebuild / hoard prospect hawks.

wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'd still like to see this team trade for a controllable starter. They should be available from teams already out of the hunt, but I guess we have to wait a few weeks for the trade market to get going.
I'll be the contrarian and say I don't want a controllable starter because it'll cost too much. When this team was playing well, I said several pages back I hoped this issue of whether to be a buyer or seller would "take care of itself".

Well, it is. As we enter July, it's starting to look like we'll get a boatload of prospects for Minor. We need to get Pence back out there to maximize his trade value too. Of course, I'd see if someone would bite on Choo. And I'd role Mazara out there and ask for the moon since we have too many outfield prospects and Mazara is not going to be controllable that much longer (only 2 more seasons after this one).

There is a tendency to be sad because we want a WC spot this year. But this will make us all the better in years where we can challenge for the whole thing instead of just a WC spot.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I'll be the contrarian and say I don't want a controllable starter because it'll cost too much. When this team was playing well, I said several pages back I hoped this issue of whether to be a buyer or seller would "take care of itself".

Well, it is. As we enter July, it's starting to look like we'll get a boatload of prospects for Minor. We need to get Pence back out there to maximize his trade value too. Of course, I'd see if someone would bite on Choo. And I'd role Mazara out there and ask for the moon since we have too many outfield prospects and Mazara is not going to be controllable that much longer (only 2 more seasons after this one).

There is a tendency to be sad because we want a WC spot this year. But this will make us all the better in years where we can challenge for the whole thing instead of just a WC spot.
Boatload of prospects........ yeah right man.

So many teams are tanking this year. It's going to be a buyers market.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

]Boatload of prospects........ yeah right man.

For a guy who's a top 5 AL starter and is controllable for next season? You dad gum right you can ask for a boatload.

Here are the top 10 starting pitchers in the AL based on ERA.

1 Odorizzi, J MIN
2 Morton, C TB
3 Verlander, J HOU
4 Minor, M TEX
5 Giolito, L CWS
6 Montas, F OAK
7 Berrios, J MIN
8 Chirinos, Y TB
9 Tanaka, M NYY
10 Stroman, M TOR

Giolito and Montas are young, controllable guys who aren't going anywhere. Stroman and Minor are the two best starting pitchers who will be available.
topoftexasag
AG
Just a WC spot?? A WC spot is in the dance. Once you are in the tournament, anything can happen. Can you imagine what it would do to a clubhouse to ship off your Ace if you are in the midst of chasing down a WC spot?
wbt5845
AG
topoftexasag said:

Just a WC spot?? A WC spot is in the dance. Once you are in the tournament, anything can happen. Can you imagine what it would do to a clubhouse to ship off your Ace if you are in the midst of chasing down a WC spot?
Yes, which is why I'm hoping the play of this team takes care of this issue itself.
Grapesoda2525
The legend of Danny Santana continues.

He's playing circles around some guys who are getting the royal treatment from our front office, but can't seem to get going.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

He's playing circles around some guys who are getting the royal treatment from our front office, but can't seem to get going.

All you'll need to do is pony up about $15 MM of your own money to get your wish. Do you have an extra $15 MM laying around?
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

For a guy who's a top 5 AL starter and is controllable for next season? You dad gum right you can ask for a boatload.

1 Odorizzi, J MIN
2 Morton, C TB
3 Verlander, J HOU
4 Minor, M TEX
5 Giolito, L CWS
6 Montas, F OAK
7 Berrios, J MIN
8 Chirinos, Y TB
9 Tanaka, M NYY
10 Stroman, M TOR

Giolito and Montas are young, controllable guys who aren't going anywhere. Stroman and Minor are the two best starting pitchers who will be available.
You can ask for a boatload sure...... the thing I keep going back to is that so many teams are tanking this year, I doubt a team out there is going to give the rangers adequate compensation for minor. Usually the way you get a really good trade package from a team is to start a bidding war, and I don't see one of those happening.
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

All you'll need to do is pony up about $15 MM of your own money to get your wish. Do you have an extra $15 MM laying around?

If you are referring to Odor, pretty sure are on the hook for another $40 million or so.

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

If you are referring to Odor, pretty sure are on the hook for another $40 million or so.

Grapesoda needs to start with $15 MM of his own money and the Rangers can pitch in the rest. THEN he can have his wish.

Until then, he's begging the Rangers owners to piss away their own money, which is easy to do. He needs to feel the pain to make Odor go away.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

1 Odorizzi, J MIN
2 Morton, C TB
3 Verlander, J HOU
4 Minor, M TEX
5 Giolito, L CWS
6 Montas, F OAK
7 Berrios, J MIN
8 Chirinos, Y TB
9 Tanaka, M NYY
10 Stroman, M TOR

You can ask for a boatload sure...... the thing I keep going back to is that so many teams are tanking this year, I doubt a team out there is going to give the rangers adequate compensation for minor. Usually the way you get a really good trade package from a team is to start a bidding war, and I don't see one of those happening.

What would make Minor valuable (if we were to move him), is that he's signed for next year AND he's signed for a cheap amount for a #1/#2 type pitcher.

He'd bring a nice haul, but if we are still in the WC hunt I don't see how we can move him.

KT 90
AG
Nice play by Elvis at short, completed by Guzman doing the splits again at fist to pull it in for the out.

Danny Vermin
Insurance thanks to Santana!!
Danny Vermin
Back to back by Elvis and Danny.

A split with the Indians would not be too bad.
gigem1223
4-4 against the BoSox and Indians, sprinkled with some **** pitching outings. I'll take it.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'll certainly enjoy a split with Cleveland. We have to shore up our back end of the rotation if we hope to contend for a WC. Chavez to the rotation has me scratching my head a little. I almost questioned last night why they let him go so long but now I understand it. I think Woodward wants to get about 5 good innings out of him and then hand it to the bullpen. Should be an interesting next 40 days or so.
Carlo4
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'll certainly enjoy a split with Cleveland. We have to shore up our back end of the rotation if we hope to contend for a WC. Chavez to the rotation has me scratching my head a little. I almost questioned last night why they let him go so long but now I understand it. I think Woodward wants to get about 5 good innings out of him and then hand it to the bullpen. Should be an interesting next 40 days or so.
He's a former starter, so he can do it...
Grapesoda2525
Rangers are fortunate to avoid Giolito in the White Sox series. Giolito has been shutting everyone down. The rangers were due for a break in the pitching matchups. Red Sox threw both sale / price at us, reds and Indians also threw most of their best guys at us too.

Rossko
AG
Looking forward to seeing Locke St John give the bullpen a shot in the arm. He's been great the last 3 years as a high K reliever with a HOF name.
Aggie_3
Watching the Astros on this 3 game losing streak pisses me off we ****ed up the middle two games against Cleveland
Grapesoda2525
Aggie_3 said:

Watching the Astros on this 3 game losing streak pisses me off we ****ed up the middle two games against Cleveland
The Yankees are spanking that azz tonight tho. At least they lost to a bad team and we lost to a good one. One of those games was the dreaded "Smyly" slot in the rotation. We almost always lose that game when it comes up.
Grapesoda2525
Unfortunately

That Yordan Alvarez kid with the Astros is tearing things up right now. They called him up not too long ago and nobody has been able to get him out yet.

That Astros team will never get weaker if they continue to have a deep farm.
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.