*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,374 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

This was one of those games where you feel it kinda slipped out of your hand, but aren't entirely disappointed.

You go 2-2 on the road against a team you are competing with for the WC, you get a chance to measure yourself.

A sweep would have been nice, 3-1 is still doable.
Need a win tomorrow and 1 game in cincy

OR

Lose tomorrow and 2 in cincy.

For obvious reasons, I'd want to win the game tomorrow more than any game against the reds.

This team NEEDS a winning road trip. For confidence purposes and it would start to change the "we suck on the road" narrative. Perhaps, one could argue that we just suck at road games in California? We're 2-7. A sweep to Oakland and 2 series losses to the angels. 10-12 on the road otherwise.
CampingAg
AG
Cowboy Joe West and Angel Hernandez get the publicity, but Vic Carappaza is just as bad. His zone always gives three inches out (at least) in every direction, and he takes himself way too seriously. He's been awful every time I've watched him call a game.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Random question that I'm hoping I didn't ask before: is there going to be a uniform change with the new park? I know some are ready for one, but I personally think the current unis are some of the best in the league. That said, I also know a lot of teams start fresh with a new park. Obviously the Rangers changed pretty drastically in 94. The Astros did as well when Minute Maid opened up.
PatAg
AG
I liked the Baby Blue and red throwback we did sometime last year.
wbt5845
AG
I want MLB expansion if for no other reason than to get the Rangers out of the western division. Ball players will never admit it, but the two hour time change back and forth nine times a season wears on you.

I know travel to the east coast is much easier on me than repeated trips to California. And Seattle is a REALLY long trip.
wbt5845
AG
PatAg said:

The powder blue were retro 70s jerseys.
KT 90
AG
Injury updates...
Quote:

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/latest-on-joey-gallo-willie-calhoun-matt-bush.html][/url]Joey Gallo, Willie Calhoun, Matt Bush to return to Rangers soon
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/latest-on-joey-gallo-willie-calhoun-matt-bush.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Connor Byrne | Last updated 6/12/19

At 36-31, the Rangers unexpectedly hold a two-game lead on an American League wild-card spot. Some of their recent success has come without injured outfielders Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun, though both players are progressing toward returns, Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram reports. Meanwhile, injured reliever Matt Bush is close to rejoining the Rangers' bullpen, according to Wilson.

Gallo, who suffered a left oblique strain June 1, could be back when the Rangers open a six-game road trip June 25, per Wilson. Given the nature of oblique injuries, a three-plus-week absence wouldn't be a terrible outcome for Gallo or the Rangers. Nevertheless, the injury has temporarily derailed an MVP-caliber start for the 25-year-old Gallo, who was amid a career-best season when he landed on the shelf.

Gallo entered 2019 off back-to-back 40-home run campaigns, though his high-strikeout, low-batting average ways helped limit him to 2.8 fWAR in each of those years. So far this season, though, Gallo has already totaled 3.3 fWAR in 214 plate appearances. While his strikeouts continue to pile up, he has still slashed .276/.421/.653 (170 wRC+) with 17 homers. Along the way, Gallo has significantly increased his walk rate (19.1 percent, compared to 13.4 from 2015 to '18). Further backing up his bottom-line results, Gallo ranks first in the majors in average exit velocity (96.3) and fourth in expected weighted on-base average (.442), according to Statcast.

Along with demonstrating his offensive prowess, Gallo has been a major asset in the field, having logged six Defensive Runs Saved between left and center. Needless to say, Gallo's return will be great news for Texas, whose lineup has unsurprisingly lost some bite without him.

While Calhoun's no Gallo (not yet, at least), he also came out of the gates well before his IL stint. Calhoun has been down since May 22 with a strained left quad, but he could return as early as this Monday, Wilson writes. The former top prospect, 24, raked at the Triple-A level at the start of the year before the Rangers recalled him in mid-May. Thanks to his stint in the minors and his injury, Calhoun has picked up just 24 trips to the plate in the majors this year. But his .435/.458/.739 line and two homers are welcome signs for a young player who fell flat with Texas and its Triple-A team last season.

As for Bush, he hasn't taken a big league field at all since undergoing surgery on a partial UCL tear in his right elbow last September. However, the 33-year-old could be back in the majors before the month's out. Bush struggled mightily during his injury-shortened 2018, but he was a useful part of the Rangers' bullpen in the two previous years. During his three-year, 137-inning Rangers tenure, Bush has pitched to a 3.35 ERA/3.65 FIP with 9.07 K/9 and 3.09 BB/9.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Injury updates...
Quote:

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/latest-on-joey-gallo-willie-calhoun-matt-bush.html][/url]Joey Gallo, Willie Calhoun, Matt Bush to return to Rangers soon
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/latest-on-joey-gallo-willie-calhoun-matt-bush.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By Connor Byrne | Last updated 6/12/19

At 36-31, the Rangers unexpectedly hold a two-game lead on an American League wild-card spot. Some of their recent success has come without injured outfielders Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun, though both players are progressing toward returns, Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram reports. Meanwhile, injured reliever Matt Bush is close to rejoining the Rangers' bullpen, according to Wilson.

Gallo, who suffered a left oblique strain June 1, could be back when the Rangers open a six-game road trip June 25, per Wilson. Given the nature of oblique injuries, a three-plus-week absence wouldn't be a terrible outcome for Gallo or the Rangers. Nevertheless, the injury has temporarily derailed an MVP-caliber start for the 25-year-old Gallo, who was amid a career-best season when he landed on the shelf.

Gallo entered 2019 off back-to-back 40-home run campaigns, though his high-strikeout, low-batting average ways helped limit him to 2.8 fWAR in each of those years. So far this season, though, Gallo has already totaled 3.3 fWAR in 214 plate appearances. While his strikeouts continue to pile up, he has still slashed .276/.421/.653 (170 wRC+) with 17 homers. Along the way, Gallo has significantly increased his walk rate (19.1 percent, compared to 13.4 from 2015 to '18). Further backing up his bottom-line results, Gallo ranks first in the majors in average exit velocity (96.3) and fourth in expected weighted on-base average (.442), according to Statcast.

Along with demonstrating his offensive prowess, Gallo has been a major asset in the field, having logged six Defensive Runs Saved between left and center. Needless to say, Gallo's return will be great news for Texas, whose lineup has unsurprisingly lost some bite without him.

While Calhoun's no Gallo (not yet, at least), he also came out of the gates well before his IL stint. Calhoun has been down since May 22 with a strained left quad, but he could return as early as this Monday, Wilson writes. The former top prospect, 24, raked at the Triple-A level at the start of the year before the Rangers recalled him in mid-May. Thanks to his stint in the minors and his injury, Calhoun has picked up just 24 trips to the plate in the majors this year. But his .435/.458/.739 line and two homers are welcome signs for a young player who fell flat with Texas and its Triple-A team last season.

As for Bush, he hasn't taken a big league field at all since undergoing surgery on a partial UCL tear in his right elbow last September. However, the 33-year-old could be back in the majors before the month's out. Bush struggled mightily during his injury-shortened 2018, but he was a useful part of the Rangers' bullpen in the two previous years. During his three-year, 137-inning Rangers tenure, Bush has pitched to a 3.35 ERA/3.65 FIP with 9.07 K/9 and 3.09 BB/9.

Thanks for these updates. Will be fun to see what the team is like with all these guys back. They all could've a big shot in the arm.
Rossko
AG
Scherzer is a slim to none chance. If the Nationals pull the trigger on him they are going to need a haul in return. The Rangers farm system doesn't have enough ammo even if you basically wiped the cupboard bare.

I would rather they make a smaller move now for a cheap to acquire type like these guys who may step it up in a playoff race:

Dan Straily BAL
Homer Bailey KC
Tanner Roark CIN
Jeff Samardzija SF

They are all in their 30s on bad teams but have a history of success as a solid mid rotation starter. If you grab one of them to replace Smyly you keep your main prospects for the "rebuild" while keeping the team in contention. This assumes that Palumbo isn't quite ready and Hearn needs more seasoning once healthy.
Grapesoda2525
Rossko said:

Scherzer is a slim to none chance. If the Nationals pull the trigger on him they are going to need a haul in return. The Rangers farm system doesn't have enough ammo even if you basically wiped the cupboard bare.

I would rather they make a smaller move now for a cheap to acquire type like these guys who may step it up in a playoff race:

Dan Straily BAL
Homer Bailey KC
Tanner Roark CIN
Jeff Samardzija SF

They are all in their 30s on bad teams but have a history of success as a solid mid rotation starter. If you grab one of them to replace Smyly you keep your main prospects for the "rebuild" while keeping the team in contention. This assumes that Palumbo isn't quite ready and Hearn needs more seasoning once healthy.

I disagree about homer bailey. Saw him pitch twice against us and wasn't impressed.
Rossko
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Rossko said:

Dan Straily BAL
Homer Bailey KC
Tanner Roark CIN
Jeff Samardzija SF

I disagree about homer bailey. Saw him pitch twice against us and wasn't impressed.
He has a 4.38 FIP overall & if you take out the starts against us (2nd highest run scoring team) he has a 1.35 WHIP. We are just looking for a cheap, solid backend starter here, not an ace.
DallasAg 94
Here is my line of thinking...

What happens if we do nothing? We have a decent chance at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

What happens if we replace Smyly with a suitable and cheap replacement? We improve our chances at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

What if we add a top tier replacement (something between Minor and Lynn)? We improve our chances at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

In those 3 scenarios, we are trading for a guy that may improve our chances at the WC, but we are still relegated to a 1 game WC pitched by Minor. Any pitcher we pickup only has value if Minor wins the WC game.

That is why I believe... if we are going to add a SP, we need to add someone that improves our chances of winning the WC... OR get enough pieces to chase Houston. Houston has a number of injuries. If those players (Altuve, Correa, Springer, McHugh) continue to linger, it will be interesting to see how they finish June.

But we are likely looking at a one-game WC decision to get into the playoffs.

slop01
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

What happens if we do nothing? We have a decent chance at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

What happens if we replace Smyly with a suitable and cheap replacement? We improve our chances at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

What if we add a top tier replacement (something between Minor and Lynn)? We improve our chances at a WC spot. No chance to win the Division, so we get a 1game WC with a chance to make the playoffs. The SP is Minor.

In those 3 scenarios, we are trading for a guy that may improve our chances at the WC, but we are still relegated to a 1 game WC pitched by Minor. Any pitcher we pickup only has value if Minor wins the WC game.

That is why I believe... if we are going to add a SP, we need to add someone that improves our chances of winning the WC... OR get enough pieces to chase Houston. Houston has a number of injuries. If those players (Altuve, Correa, Springer, McHugh) continue to linger, it will be interesting to see how they finish June.

This is exactly why I think we should only pick up a salary dump that costs nothing in prospects, so if Minor can win the WC game we might have a chance in the next round.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

That's the reason JD and the front office are zeroing in on controllable assets. I agree that our options kinda suck, but it wouldn't be a good look to the fans and the players on this team if we were actually sitting in control of a wild card spot and the front office traded almost everyone.

Playing for the 1 game play in game sucks, but if we get a pitcher who could help us get to that game and help us get off to a good start next year, trading a prospect or two would be worth it. What can't happen is we give up decent assets for a pitcher, we don't get the wild card or even get into the wild card game, the pitcher is a free agent and he walks.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

That's the reason JD and the front office are zeroing in on controllable assets. I agree that our options kinda suck, but it wouldn't be a good look to the fans and the players on this team if we were actually sitting in control of a wild card spot and the front office traded almost everyone.

Playing for the 1 game play in game sucks, but if we get a pitcher who could help us get to that game and help us get off to a good start next year, trading a prospect or two would be worth it. What can't happen is we give up decent assets for a pitcher, we don't get the wild card or even get into the wild card game, the pitcher is a free agent and he walks.
You know how to get controllable assets without giving up prospects? Free Agency.

Can we find an improvement for Smyly from our minors (likely) or scrap heap (likely)?

If so, any reason to trade in-season? Same controllable pitchers available now, will be available at the end of the season...

For the high-dollar guys, like Scherzer ($42M x 2 more yrs), Greinke ($35M x 2 more yrs)... they would actually be a step-up over Minor (IMO) for a WC game, which would improve our chances to the playoffs. And then, we'd have 3 legit SPs for the playoffs (New, Minor, Lynn).

If Washington is shopping Scherzer, or Arizona shopping Greinke before the trade deadline, there are few takers. Bos ($236M), CHC ($213M), NYY ($203M) and LAD ($196M) are all up at the Luxury Tax.

Milw ($123M), and Minn ($119M) are highly unlikely.

Given an offseason, NYY, Bos, et al are likely to have more free cash.
DallasAg 94
Any word on who is going to start tomorrow night in Cincy? Or, is this a case of Leclerc getting the GS and Smyly coming in after the "Opener?"
Danny Vermin
Fenway is a crazy park. I thought that was a homer and we do own Price .
Danny Vermin
Kinda fun to keep an eye on this thread as the game wears on.

https://www.talksox.com/forum/threads/19335-6-13-vs-Walker-Texas-Rangers/page3
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So obviously they'd talk about it if Elvis's 500 average against Price was the best. Makes me wonder who holds the record for owning a pitcher.
AggieDPT
AG
Well we better have our sticks ready tonight. Sampson isn't looking good tonight.
DallasAg 94
AggieDPT said:

Well we better have our sticks ready tonight. Sampson isn't looking good tonight.
You throw that pitch... it is going to be a HR.
PatAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

PatAg said:

The powder blue were retro 70s jerseys.
hence the term throwback
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

You left out the option where we do nothing, the 5th starter spot is almost an automatic loss and we fade out of the playoff picture where Minor doesn't have a chance to make the WC start. We need to fortify the last spot in the rotation in order to STAY in playoff contention. Cleveland has been without Clevinger who is one of the top AL starters. A surge is coming from them and if we do nothing we'll likely be on the outside looking in on that WC matchup.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Angel being awful at his job is gonna cost us on this replay.
gigem1223
Obvious he missed him and still doesn't get overturned. This is such a weird game. So many missed opportunities to put this one away.
gigem1223
Mathis is worthless
Grapesoda2525
Sampson picked a bad game to have an off night / go back down to earth. This win would be huge, but I'm not too optimistic.
gigem1223
Can't throw two hanging sliders right down the middle and expect to not get punished.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That pitch on 0-2 is just inexcusable.
gigem1223
Ranger #007 said:

That pitch on 0-2 is just inexcusable.

Yep especially after he just hung a slider. Goes back to my point that Mathis is worthless. Don't mind a bad bat from a catcher if he calls a good game and is good defensively, but he hasn't been great at either.
Danny Vermin
I give Sampson a pass on this game as he had good stuff but bad location in that cracker jack box of a stadium.
Grapesoda2525
Danny Vermin said:

I give Sampson a pass on this game as he had good stuff but bad location in that cracker jack box of a stadium.
It really is a tough place to pitch / play if you're not the Red Sox. Frustrating that we haven't been able to hold their lineup down in any of the games.
wbt5845
AG
I would tell Mathis to go up there and not swing his bat at all. Praying for four balls is his only hope of getting on base.
gigem1223
Why not ph for Mathis in that situation?
gigem1223
PH Nomar for DD. Frick
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.