*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,330 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Fuzzy Dunlop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't even thought of Scherzer. That would be huge. Again, he's had a down year comparatively but he's 4-5 in 14 GS with a 2.81 ERA and 1.12 WHIP this season so his record isn't really on him.
94chem
You guys can check standings all you want. I get it. It's fun to see the Rangers in the WC spot. But the reality is that it's gonna take 90 wins to be in the conversation. Either Boston or Cleveland will get hot at some point. If they don't, Oakland will pull some 22-6 month out of nowhere. The bottom of the AL is incredibly soft, and I don't see an 86 win team making the playoffs.

The point is that we shouldn't be asking how to stay ahead of Boston or Cleveland. We should be figuring out if there is a solid path to 90 wins without mortgaging the future.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

If someone told me on March 31st that the Rangers would be 6 games over .500 halfway through June, I would have told them to seek professional help.

This team, more often than not, just finds ways to win. We need to find a 5th SP and I would feel good about our WC chances. I almost feel crazy saying that.

That being said, I mentioned a few weeks ago that Jared Sandler reported the Rangers and Mets may be in talks to trade Noah Syndergaard. He's had a tough year this year but I think that is most likely due to poor run support. His ERA is up over 4.00 and his WHIP is up to 1.2 for the year but I wonder how much of that is due to him trying to do too much for a struggling Mets team. By comparison, de Grom's ERA is up .75 over his career average and he has a 3-6 record up to this point so I'm not sure it is all on the player.

Syndergaard is 26, from Mansfield, and has 1.5 - 2 years of team control remaining, unless he has extended and I'm not sure about that.

When I first heard this report I was skeptical, but I think it would be a good move for the Rangers at this moment.

Thoughts?

ETA - Upon further review, he is signed through this year so there is no team control after this season. Not sure I'd make the deal without a sign and trade in place. I don't know his affinity for the Rangers but being a metroplex native, I wonder if he would be willing to sign with them Mets to come to Texas. Not asking for a hometown discount, but I would think he might be more likely to sign.
He is an Arb through 2021, so team control for 2020 and 2021.

He would be WAY expensive, in terms of prospects, I would think.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
94chem said:

You guys can check standings all you want. I get it. It's fun to see the Rangers in the WC spot. But the reality is that it's gonna take 90 wins to be in the conversation. Either Boston or Cleveland will get hot at some point. If they don't, Oakland will pull some 22-6 month out of nowhere. The bottom of the AL is incredibly soft, and I don't see an 86 win team making the playoffs.

The point is that we shouldn't be asking how to stay ahead of Boston or Cleveland. We should be figuring out if there is a solid path to 90 wins without mortgaging the future.

I think this is a good point. We're currently sitting at a .545 winning percentage which equates to 88 wins out of 162. Obviously players and teams will go through hot and cold streaks, but essentially remove Smyly from the lineup and a couple bad apples in the bullpen and we're right on track for 90.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

I was putting together some stuff on the state of the WC race... but obviously that got outdated quickly with the Rangers beating BoSox twice.

Here is the deal... I don't know how many Wins it will take, all I know is we have to finish ahead of Cleveland, Boston and Oak. They are the only 3 teams to contend, IMO.

ALEast: Tampa and NYY. Bos is 8 GB
ALCentral: Minn. Cle is 10.5 GB
ALWest: Houston. Texas is 9 GB

WC:
Tampa or NYY
Texas
Cleveland is 2GB
BoSox is 3 GB
Oak is 3 GB
LAA & CWS are both 4 GB

Seattle 10
Detroit 10.5
Toronto 13
KC 15
Baltimore 15

A couple more losses by LAA and CWS and they start shopping players like the others.

Cleveland:
Kluber (7GS, 5.80) has a broken ulna. Out until August
Carrasco (12GsS, 4.98) is on 10IL for blood condition. Nor known return.
Jefry Rodriguez (8GS, 4.74) is on 10IL for right shoulder strain... he is a RHP.

They are running with:
Bauer: 15GS, 3.71
Bieber: 13GS, 4.07
Zach Plesac: 3GS, 1.86
Adam Plutko: 3GS, 5.19
Clevinger, returning from 60IL

Maybe they get some pitching help. I think they have the best chance to add pieces, but they came into the season pretty loaded on salary. There have been lots more rumors of them selling, than the Rangers, even before our latest surge.

Boston:
We're seeing what they have. Yes, Sale and Price, but their BP is a mess.
Porcello and Rodriguez are struggling and they are trying to find a 5th SP. The problem they have is, they are in the luxury tax level of payroll. They are where we thought we were 2 weeks ago. 2 Legit MLB SPs, 2 guys that should be ok, and then a blackhole.

As a WC team, they have 2 SPs that could win a WC game. So, there is that. They have the most talent, but they also have the most injuries.

Oakland?
They are interesting. They've always had pitching and needed hitters. Now, they have hitters but no pitching. If their pitchers come around... maybe they threaten, but I don't see it. Too many holes.
Rotation:
Montas (26): 13 GS, 2.84
Bassitt (30): 9GS, 3.57
Brett Anderson (31): 13GS, 3.98
Fiers (34): 15GS, 4.63
Brooks (29): 6GS, 5.36

Their BP is not very good.
Soria: 30G, 5.68
Treinen: 27G, 3.51 ERA, 15 Saves

I think lots of things have to fall into place for the A's to make a run. And since we don't play them until July 25th... they don't get much hope of a huge winning streak.

It is why I said earlier... if the Rangers do well on this road trip and get some distance on these teams, it will take some of the pressure off for those teams to stay in the running.

A get now, like adding Scherzer, Syndy, or even a Bumgarner, might have other GMs looking at the Rangers as the team to catch.
94chem
Good analysis, except I don't agree that Boston's bullpen is a mess. Their "A" guys blew a game for Sale, but the numbers are good.
KT 90
AG
Some potential bullpen help back on the mound in Frisco:

RP Matt Bush: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 SO, 0.00 ERA
Matt Bush had good command of a 95-96 fastball, hard slider and curve

94chem
The easiest way for Texas to get 90 wins is to pummel the back ends of other teams' rotations, like they did in the 90's, and up until the Cliff Lee trade.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

Good analysis, except I don't agree that Boston's bullpen is a mess. Their "A" guys blew a game for Sale, but the numbers are good.
I posted this on the previous page:

Quote:

They mentioned this, last night... The BoSox have a 5.88 ERA in the 9th Inning. Also, opponents are batting .282 in the 9th inning.

Workman has been good.

Brazier: 3.77, 6 Saves
Barnes: 3.67, 4 Saves
Workman: 1.84, 2 Saves
Walden: 2.50, 1 Save
Hembree: 2.51, 1Save

And again... it isn't like they can take on a ton of salary to add to the BP.

If they can linger around, and stay in the mix, there is a strong likelihood they can get some guys healthy... figure things out... or dump some salary and prospects to fill some holes.

If we win the next 2 against them and they are 5 GB...They get Balt, but then Minn. We get Cincy, then Cle.
wbt5845
AG
I thought the threshold for packing it in this early in the season was around 10 games back? I know that varies, depending on the team - but Boston has a ton of $$$ tied into this season. Seems like they'd have a higher threshold to punching out than 6-7 games back in June.
Aggie_3
Drew Smyly officially moves to the bullpen Woody made announcement today
KT 90
AG
Quote:

The Texas Rangers have announced that outfielder Willie Calhoun will start a rehab assignment on Thursday. Calhoun is currently on the injured list with a leg strain.
There doesn't appear to be a clear path back to the major league roster right now for Calhoun, given that the bench currently includes Danny Santana, who is also the backup CF, and Logan Forsythe. Calhoun likely will end up being activated an optioned next week, barring someone getting hurt.
In addition, the Rangers have announced that Drew Smyly will not make his scheduled start on Friday, and instead is in the bullpen. Friday's starter is TBD.
Smyly has been bad this year, and has been dealing with a sprained ankle, which could land him on the injured list. Joe Palumbo is currently slated to start for Frisco on Friday. Because he was optioned less than ten days ago, he can't be recalled Friday unless he's replacing someone who goes on the injured list.
It would really suck if Calhoun gets sent back to AAA. He was hitting over .400 wasn't he?

KT 90
AG
and btw... early start today due to Boston Bruins game 7 tonight in the NHL. Already underway in the first right now...

gigem1223
Hunter frickin Pence
aggietony2010
AG
gigem1223 said:

Hunter frickin Pence

I was gonna be pissed if that didn't end in runs. I get the charms of unique ballparks, but there's some **** in Fenway that's idiotic.
God save the Patriarchy!
gigem1223
KT 90 said:

Quote:

The Texas Rangers have announced that outfielder Willie Calhoun will start a rehab assignment on Thursday. Calhoun is currently on the injured list with a leg strain.
There doesn't appear to be a clear path back to the major league roster right now for Calhoun, given that the bench currently includes Danny Santana, who is also the backup CF, and Logan Forsythe. Calhoun likely will end up being activated an optioned next week, barring someone getting hurt.
In addition, the Rangers have announced that Drew Smyly will not make his scheduled start on Friday, and instead is in the bullpen. Friday's starter is TBD.
Smyly has been bad this year, and has been dealing with a sprained ankle, which could land him on the injured list. Joe Palumbo is currently slated to start for Frisco on Friday. Because he was optioned less than ten days ago, he can't be recalled Friday unless he's replacing someone who goes on the injured list.
It would really suck if Calhoun gets sent back to AAA. He was hitting over .400 wasn't he?

DD needs to go, not Willie. Santana can play center until Gallo gets back.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I have to say, Woody has been spot on with his challenges this year. Hell of a job by the video team to catch that

Edit: just saw Jared Sandler tweet that Woody is 15/19 on the year with his challenges.
KT 90
AG
PWestAg18 said:

I have to say, Woody has been spot on with his challenges this year. Hell of a job by the video team to catch that

great tag by Elvis

Michael Cera Palin
AG
KT 90 said:

PWestAg18 said:

great tag by Elvis

Oh yeah, that too
DallasAg 94
PWestAg18 said:

Edit: just saw Jared Sandler tweet that Woody is 15/19 on the year with his challenges.
I don't believe that is correct. On the radio, I thought they said 15 and 19, meaning 15 overturned and 19 upheld.

According to this site Woody is 15 and 28, which is closer to what I thought I heard on the radio... that is, he has lost more than were overturned.
Carlo4
AG
I think Benintendi is still angry over last night's ejection by being a monster at the plate today...
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

I thought the threshold for packing it in this early in the season was around 10 games back? I know that varies, depending on the team - but Boston has a ton of $$$ tied into this season. Seems like they'd have a higher threshold to punching out than 6-7 games back in June.
I'm not sure that there is an official threshold. 10 G is a good rule of thumb.

I don't think @ 6-7 GB in June they start selling pieces off, and I agree they have a very large payroll. That large payroll... at $236M means they can't just go out and get a 5th SP and a couple RPs.

They don't really have much to sell. Porcello, Moreleand, Pearce, Holt are all FAs after the season.

And then there is this...

Teams over .500: Record in GS for Sale and Price
HOU (.676): 2-4 (Sale 1-1 ; Price 0-1)
NYY (.621): 1-4 (Sale: 0-1; Price 1-0)
TBR (.612): 4-5 (Sale: 0-1; Price: 2-1)
TEX (.545): 0-2 (Sale: 0-1)
COL (.530): 1-1 (Sale: 0-1)
ARI (.515): 1-2 (Price: 0-1)
CLE (.507): 1-2 (Price:0-1)
OAK (.507): 4-3 (Sale: 0-1, Price 0-1)
----------------
14-23 - Sale: 1-6, Price: 3-4

Teams under .500
CHW (.485): 3-1
SEA (.400): 4-3
DET (.381): 2-2
TOR (.348): 4-2
BAL (.318): 4-3
KCR (.318): 3-0
----------------
20-11 - (Sale:3-4, Price: 2-2)
DallasAg 94
Walk Mazara to face Pence?!
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Walk Mazara to face Pence?!
Looks like it worked.
DallasAg 94
Oak over Tampa
Cincy over Cle
Mr Gigem
AG
Putting in the call for an Odor HR
Mr Gigem
AG
Well ****
Mr Gigem
AG
Jesus ****ing Christ. A walk to end the game
gigem1223
Well Chavez was way overdue for a **** outing
Aggie_3
gomerschlep
AG
There's the Rangers we all know and love
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

94chem said:

I was putting together some stuff on the state of the WC race... but obviously that got outdated quickly with the Rangers beating BoSox twice.

Here is the deal... I don't know how many Wins it will take, all I know is we have to finish ahead of Cleveland, Boston and Oak. They are the only 3 teams to contend, IMO.

ALEast: Tampa and NYY. Bos is 8 GB
ALCentral: Minn. Cle is 10.5 GB
ALWest: Houston. Texas is 9 GB

WC:
Tampa or NYY
Texas
Cleveland is 2GB
BoSox is 3 GB
Oak is 3 GB
LAA & CWS are both 4 GB

Seattle 10
Detroit 10.5
Toronto 13
KC 15
Baltimore 15

A couple more losses by LAA and CWS and they start shopping players like the others.

Cleveland:
Kluber (7GS, 5.80) has a broken ulna. Out until August
Carrasco (12GsS, 4.98) is on 10IL for blood condition. Nor known return.
Jefry Rodriguez (8GS, 4.74) is on 10IL for right shoulder strain... he is a RHP.

They are running with:
Bauer: 15GS, 3.71
Bieber: 13GS, 4.07
Zach Plesac: 3GS, 1.86
Adam Plutko: 3GS, 5.19
Clevinger, returning from 60IL

Maybe they get some pitching help. I think they have the best chance to add pieces, but they came into the season pretty loaded on salary. There have been lots more rumors of them selling, than the Rangers, even before our latest surge.

Boston:
We're seeing what they have. Yes, Sale and Price, but their BP is a mess.
Porcello and Rodriguez are struggling and they are trying to find a 5th SP. The problem they have is, they are in the luxury tax level of payroll. They are where we thought we were 2 weeks ago. 2 Legit MLB SPs, 2 guys that should be ok, and then a blackhole.

As a WC team, they have 2 SPs that could win a WC game. So, there is that. They have the most talent, but they also have the most injuries.

Oakland?
They are interesting. They've always had pitching and needed hitters. Now, they have hitters but no pitching. If their pitchers come around... maybe they threaten, but I don't see it. Too many holes.
Rotation:
Montas (26): 13 GS, 2.84
Bassitt (30): 9GS, 3.57
Brett Anderson (31): 13GS, 3.98
Fiers (34): 15GS, 4.63
Brooks (29): 6GS, 5.36

Their BP is not very good.
Soria: 30G, 5.68
Treinen: 27G, 3.51 ERA, 15 Saves

I think lots of things have to fall into place for the A's to make a run. And since we don't play them until July 25th... they don't get much hope of a huge winning streak.

It is why I said earlier... if the Rangers do well on this road trip and get some distance on these teams, it will take some of the pressure off for those teams to stay in the running.

A get now, like adding Scherzer, Syndy, or even a Bumgarner, might have other GMs looking at the Rangers as the team to catch.
It might be a bold call, but I think the rangers will break their curse in Oakland this season. We just split a series with them here. The first series in Oakland was so early in the season that Woodward still wasn't able to get the "Banny stink" off this team. I'd put $100 down that we go 3-3 in Oakland the rest of the way.

As for this road trip, would be very pleased with the results if we can get just 2 more wins.
gigem1223
gomerschlep said:

There's the Rangers we all know and love

Oh for crying out loud what does that even mean? They lost a tight game on the road...it happens. Were you expecting a 4 game sweep in Boston?
Grapesoda2525
This loss really isn't that bad guys. The Red Sox played well, porcello out performed his stats for the season and greatly benefitted from the ****y home plate umpire. We still almost beat them.
DallasAg 94
This was one of those games where you feel it kinda slipped out of your hand, but aren't entirely disappointed.

You go 2-2 on the road against a team you are competing with for the WC, you get a chance to measure yourself.

A sweep would have been nice, 3-1 is still doable.
First Page Last Page
Page 62 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.