*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

467,860 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wasn't before AP's posts a few pages ago. If we can get controllable assets that are proven major leaguers and they're actually going to spend like they claim then I'm good with it. What we don't need are rentals.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I wasn't before AP's posts a few pages ago. If we can get controllable assets that are proven major leaguers and they're actually going to spend like they claim then I'm good with it. What we don't need are rentals.

This. As long as we get a proven starter that is controllable for multiple years, I'm game. But no one year rentals, unless they are cheap free agent types that don't cost prospects.

DallasAg 94
What will it cost to get a player?

I'm all for getting controllable SP, but Bauer is only through 2020. That would be this year and next. While not a rental, it is a fringe addition that will cost a ton. Fringe being... 1.5 seasons when we don't know if the Rangers FO will see 2020 as a "go-for-it" season.

The article on Bauer starts off modest enough, with a couple mid-level prospects, then escalates with an "oh by the way" Patino level player.

This is what the article implies:
14. Buddy Reed (24-OF-AA): 52G, .216, 7 HR, 8 SB, .311 OBP
19. Jeisson Rosario (19-OF-A+): 52G, .232, 1 HR, 3 SB

and then one of these types:
4. Luis Patino (19-RHP-A+): 9GS, 2.91, 1.15 WHIP, 43.1 IP, 53K

I could see giving up Calhoun (24-OF/DH-AAA): .304, 8HR... Mazara, but one of our SP prospects?

Rangers, with rank:
1. Hans Crouse (20-RHP-A): 8GS, 3.35, 1.04 WHIP, 37.2 IP, 39K
2. Cole Winn - Out
7. Joe Palumbo (24-AA): 9GS, 3.38
8. Jonathan Hernandez (22-AA): 10GS, 5.63
9. Brock Burke (22-AA): 3GS, 3.86 - Out
10. Taylor Hearn (24-AAA): 4GS, 4.05 - Out
12. Owen White
13. Tyler Phillips (21-A+/AA): 10GS, 3.54
14. Cole Ragans - Out
15. CD Pelham

I wouldn't want to give up on some of those, just for 1.5 yrs of Trevor Bauer (14GS, 3.93 ERA). I'd rather overpay Shields for a 2019 deal that might or might not work out, but be better than Smyly.

We've seen Hearn. We'll see Palumbo.

I'm hoping Palumbo can go 3.0 IP with less than 2 ER. If he can not wet the bed, pair him with Smyly, to see if we can get 6.0 IP and less than 5ER.

My guess is Palumbo is up for a single GS and then gets sent down.
Grapesoda2525
Going back to 1970, there have been ~15,600 player seasons with 180+ PAs in a season

Odor's 35 wRC+ ties him for 15,519th place.
KT 90
AG
If we traded for Bauer, or someone similar, it would be with the intention of extending him beyond 2020. maybe even approach the agent prior to pulling the trigger on a deal to see if he is willing to work something out (I think technically Cleveland would have to approach him, to avoid tampering... but whatever).

Grienke is another that might be available. He's signed through 2021 I believe. The AAV for Grienke is pretty steep, so might could get him for less prospects if we are willing to take on all (or most) of the contract that Arizona may be looking to unload.

I'm sure there are a couple more possibilities out there with big contracts that teams are looking to unload.

Shields doesn't do much for me. he hasn't been good in a while, has he? Maybe as a fillin innings eater, but we need more of a top of the rotation type guy. Just think:
Grienke/Bauer-Minor-Lynn-Jurado-xxxx with xxxx being whoever pans out amongst our AA guys.

Aggie_3
Rangers just traded for Catcher Tim Federowicz from the Indians for player to be named later
DeangeloVickers
AG
.199 average

Hes damn near Robin Yount compared to Mathis
Aggie_3
I'm pretty sure he's just going to be a stop gap until IKF is off the 10 day
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Then maybe they could make him the fifth player in Major League history to be traded for himself by sending him back to the Indians as the PTBNL.
Aggie_3
Ranger #007 said:

Aggie_3 said:

Then maybe they could make him the fifth player in Major League history to be traded for himself by sending him back to the Indians as the PTBNL.

Would be hilarious
PatAg
AG
Maybe this has been discussed but...while I wholly agree with retiring Beltre's #...why haven't we retired Youngs? He did more FOR the Rangers imo, while Beltre was the better player.
wbt5845
AG
I hate the A's
Danny Vermin
I would be happy with a split against our kryptonite.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
DD is a lot of things. Slow is not one of them. Man he was moving.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Can't decide if the team needs to trade Pence or extend him.
Old Tom Morris
Shelby Miller getting the 7th in a one run game
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Can't decide if the team needs to trade Pence or extend him.

JD needs to do one or the other. Sell high and trade him, or lock him up for next year. He's playing out of his mind right now.

Michael Cera Palin
AG
I am so happy we have Hunter Pence
Aggie_3
****ing **** can we just cut Shelby Miller such a waste of ****ing space in the ****ing bullpen
Aggie_3
Old Tom Morris said:

And here's the Shelby we've all grown to hate this year
Old Tom Morris
Miller, the wave, and an error in the same half inning. The excessive ******ation is too much
Danny Vermin
Aggie_3 said:

Old Tom Morris said:

And here's the Shelby we've all grown to hate this year

In all fairness, the run is on Elvis.
Old Tom Morris
I just don't get the move. He's kind of the perfect arm to throw to the wolves to eat innings tomorrow if one of the starts goes awry.
DallasAg 94
Old Tom Morris said:

I just don't get the move. He's kind of the perfect arm to throw to the wolves to eat innings tomorrow if one of the starts goes awry.
I think if you expect this game to go deep, you use Miller to go multiple innings.

He'll have the ability to pitch tomorrow... more for the early game, where Palumbo is pitching, and then he gets the mysterious injury that puts him on the IL and you activate another RP for the 2nd game.

As mentioned, Chavez pitched last night. Him warming up pretty much makes him unavailable tomorrow.

Besides, you'll need Miller to clean up Smyly's mess on Sunday.
Mr Gigem
AG
Santana has one of the laziest swings
Mozart Paintings
AG
Fuxk
Mr Gigem
AG
Jesus Christ Leclerc
MSFC Aggie
AG
****ing Oakland
Danny Vermin
Schall 02
AG
Pence is a glue player. Like Napoli is his prime. Dont trade him unless overwhelmed. Bring him back for another year or two at home, then smile has he joins your minor league coaching staff.
Mr Gigem
AG
God dammit Elvis. **** Oakland
MSFC Aggie
AG
Well, wouldn't be the Rangers if they didn't lose the first game of the series
94chem
Elvis hit it on the screws. But when you're Oakland's b, that's a 5-4-3 game ender.
ryanhnc10
AG
Need to get rid of LeClerc. Lost count of how many games he's torpedoed this year
First Page Last Page
Page 54 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.