*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,070 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ranger #007 said:

Dude, damned near all you post about is Odor. It got old a long time ago.
And he has validated that throughout the previous page of posts.

If ever you needed validation that weed kills brain cells and cognitive reasoning... he is your man.
DallasAg 94
Alvarado Times said:

MLB draft upcoming...... Rangers at 8. I'll take Jackson Rutledge.
Although Rutledge looks like he'd be a nice addition, with all the SPs we've taken, it would be nice to take a fielder. JD has focused on SPs in the June draft and signed most of his hitters from Int'l. With limited Int'l Pool money, we've had fewer options in the field.

We have some hitters, but seems we have fewer prospects in the field than most clubs... and all the pitchers we've taken are either getting TJ, or recovering from TJ.
DallasAg 94
So, the course of events should be...

June 2nd: Keuchel & Kimbrel will sign with teams.
June 3-5th: Draft
June 6th'sh... James Shields signs with somebody.

June 7th... trade rumors begin in earnest.

At the Top seem to be:
SF: Bumgarner, FA after 2019 season. 12GS, 4.01 ERA
Tor: Marcus Stroman (28, 12GS, 2.74 ERA, -#5 AL ERA). FAs in 2021
Tor: Aaron Sanchez (24, 12GS, 3.75 ERA, #18 AL ERA). FAs in 2021.

The Rangers could essentially:
Sign Keuchel (31) to a 3-4 year deal (through 2022 season)
Trade for Stroman (under control through 2020)
Extend Minor (31) for 3 years (through 2023 season)
Keep Lance Lynn (controlled through 2021)

Jurado is your #5 in 2020, and then as Stroman becomes a FA after 2020, you start to bring up the young guys . Likely in long-relief, then to the rotation:

2020: Phillips Valdez (AAA-27) and Pedro Payano (recent AAA promo-24), Palumbo (AA, 24)
2021: Tyler Phillips (AA-21), Jonathan Hernandez (AA-22), Herrera (AAA-24), Reid Anderson (A+, 23)
2022: AJ Alexy (A+, 21), Hans Crouse (A, 20), Arredondo (AA, 22), Bahr, Latz, King, Yerry, etc.

My guess is, you likely give up quite a number of players for Stroman.

Mazara (24) @ .267, 8HR, .319 OBP with 2 more years of team control could emerge as a trade chip.
Maybe Jurado (23) is someone to consider including?

Mazara, Calhoun and Jurado would be an interesting package to trade to anyone, without really killing our farm system.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ranger #007 said:

Alvarado Times said:

Danny Vermin said:

Alvarado Times said:

Danny Vermin said:

Alvarado Times said:

Danny Vermin said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm surprised that odor hasn't been sent down to the minors yet. The guy is still hitting under .170

Shut the **** up. Seriously, go cheer for the Astros. He's not going down so quit taking about it.

I dont understand why we cant talk about an underperforming player needing time in the minors????

Do you Ranger thread often? It's a *********broken record with this guy.

its a message board...talking about the Rangers is what happens here..... Odor is sucking ass.... so we talk about Odor sucking ass.... 0-4 tonight while two bats hitting 100+ points higher ride pine.... seems kinda silly to ignore it on a message board.

The dude has two taking points, odor sucks and make weed legal everywhere. The first one is annoying as **** and I happen to agree with the second.

Well Odor is sucking..... so that talking point seems correct. I think watching Odor continue to suck is annoying also..... but yet, there he is day after day.

No one disputes he's sucking. That said, it's literally almost all he posts about. He's got nothing new to say. Just the same s*** over and over and over and over. It's not discussion, just his personal crusade to make sure everybody knows he thinks Odor sucks.
People on this thread have gone to great lengths, they have pulled obscure stats out of there butts, and framed them in a positive way like a catcher frames a terrible pitch. All of this was an effort ( in vain) to make odor look good. Many times before I have been met with resistance and people have defended odor. I don't think it's accurate to say nobody disputes he's sucking. Go back and read some of the prior pages on this thread if you don't believe me.

He struck out 3 times in 4 AB's tonight. If he wasn't hurting the team and we were winning anyway, I wouldn't give a damn, but I love this team and it is painful to watch some guy get special treatment in regard to playing time while superior players have to sit and rot on the damn bench.
I have never defended Odor. I merely point out that anyone who understands the economics of the game realize Odor has to be given WAY more latitude to come around than any other player. He has three more years after this one. You either pay him $33 MM to do nothing or you try to make him work.

Your path forward with Odor includes pissing away $33 MM, which indicates you don't understand how ball teams work in this day and age.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I heard a report in Dallas last week that the Rangers may be talking to the Mets about Syndergaard. Also mentioned that Hans Crouse was the lynch pin of that working and the Rangers wouldn't outright say no. This was Josh Sandler reporting it. I dont see that happening but who knows.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I heard a report in Dallas last week that the Rangers may be talking to the Mets about Syndergaard. Also mentioned that Hans Crouse was the lynch pin of that working and the Rangers wouldn't outright say no. This was Josh Sandler reporting it. I dont see that happening but who knows.
I agree... I don't see that happening.

I think as a standalone move, trading for a SP makes no sense.

Stroman (28): 12 GS, 2.74 ERA, 69.0 IP, 57 SO, 1.333 WHIP Controlled through 2020 season.
Syndergaard (26): 12 GS, 4.90 ERA, 75.1 IP, 77 SO, 1.274 WHIP Controlled through 2021 season.

Here is an article (3 days ago) that may be related to your post. It may have spurred/referenced the Sandler report.

Hans Crouse or Leody Taveras, plus Hearn (24) and Ronny Henriquez (19)

Hearn is on the IR, with elbow tightness, and completely melted down in his ML debut. He is on the 40, so I'm not really sure how much value I put on him. IIRC, we got Hearn from NYY whom I believe was RuleV eligible last offseason.

Henriquez actually turns 20 in 3 weeks and is 9 months younger than Crouse.
Henriquez is at A: 7GS, 4.38 ERA, 1.297 WHIP, 24.2 IP, 32 SO.
Crouse, 20 is at A: 8GS, 3.35 ERA, 1.035 WHIP, 37.2 IP, 39 SO.

Who would hold more value to the Rangers: Stroman or Syndergaard?
What would each cost?

I think one of Crouse, Taveras or Henriquez might be worth considering, if you think 2019 and 2020 are playoff years AND you sign Keuchel.

Might Syndergaard be like Verlander and just need a change of scenery? I continue to lament the Martin Perez decision. I would think James Shields would be a better option (costs only money) than trading for Syndergaard (costs prospects).
DallasAg 94
Looks like Roughie is getting a much needed night off. His hot bat will likely cool somewhat.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Looks like Roughie is getting a much needed night off. His hot bat will likely cool somewhat.
I've seen the lineup. All can really say is they must be hungry for a win and not want to lose again to the royals.

It's go time. This is probably the best lineup they could possibly churn out on this roster.
MSFC Aggie
AG

What the hell does that mean?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I've seen the lineup. All can really say is they must be hungry for a win and not want to lose again to the royals.

It's go time. This is probably the best lineup they could possibly churn out on this roster.
OR... it could be that they are facing Lefty Danny Duffy and going heavy Right Handed.

Forsythe (RHB) .300 BaLHP vs Guzman (LHB) .154 BaLHP @ 1B
Santana (SHB) .182 BaLHP vs Odor (LHB) .174 BaLHP @ 2B

Santana has limited AB against LHP, so it will be interesting to see how well he does. I would expect him to do very well tonight, as I think his .182 likely improves with regular ABs against Leftys.

Now, I know situational hitting like LH vs RH is obscure to guys as astute as you are... but it is something that has influenced baseball since like... forever.

It is like you think guys at this level need motivation... like, "wow, this is KC, I'm going to try harder."

The Rangers NEED to beat KC tonight. The lineup is a very good lineup and I'm hoping for a W. As I do every night. Regardless of who the the Rangers have in the lineup.
DallasAg 94
MSFC Aggie said:

What the hell does that mean?
I think means Odor is getting the night off.
DallasAg 94
Could also mean he is under evaluation in anticipation of a trip to the IL and determination of a backup Util IF.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Now, I know situational hitting like LH vs RH is obscure to guys as astute as you are... but it is something that has influenced baseball since like... forever.

You should really drop this "holier than thou" act when you interact with people on here. I'm not stupid. I understand the righty / lefty matchups in baseball and why a manager fills out his lineup the way he does.

Even if we were facing a righty, this would still be a very good lineup because Santana would be hitting from the left side where he's done most of his damage this season. Pence and forsythe have been doing well against both righties and lefties.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

People on this thread have gone to great lengths, they have pulled obscure stats out of there butts, and framed them in a positive way like a catcher frames a terrible pitch.
The term you are looking for is not "holier than thou" it is being condescending.

You claim we have used obscure stats. Pick a single obscure stat that I... or anyone else has pulled out.

Every comparison I have made... has been valid with real stats.

You are ready to give up on 25 year old Odor, with 716 G and .243 BA, because he has 6 seasons under his belt, while MOST other players are barely getting a callup at that age. Cool. We get it.

That doesn't mean Odor is an AS, or having a great season. But it wouldn't surprise you... or anyone else, if he finishes the season with better numbers than any of the 3 you fawn over.

Forsythe, Santana and Pence were all picked up off the spare heap and all having a great start to the season. I love it and hope they continue to do well.

I also know the Rangers will be a better team if Odor turns it around.
Chapa96
AG
Here now! That was a bomb!
AgBQ-00
AG
This buds for you!!! Joey smashed that sucker
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Grapesoda2525
Looks like tonight would be a fun game to be at.

Not too hot and gallo just hit a bomb.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

Looks like tonight would be a fun game to be at.

Not too hot and gallo just hit a bomb.
There have been some pretty good seats, cheap. I've been considering grabbing some for this series.

Probably Sunday, we'll try to make it out.
DallasAg 94
I missed the HR.

Kudos to Santana working the BB. Glad to see the Rangers finally getting some very needed runs on the board.
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

I missed the HR.

Kudos to Santana working the BB. Glad to see the Rangers finally getting some very needed runs on the board.
Everyone from the lineup got on base except forsythe.

That's EXACTLY what we need regardless of whose in the lineup, if you can't get a hit, draw a walk. What really hurts is multiple guys going hitless and not getting on base at all.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I missed the HR.

Everyone from the lineup got on base except forsythe.

That's EXACTLY what we need regardless of whose in the lineup, if you can't get a hit, draw a walk. What really hurts is multiple guys going hitless and not getting on base at all.
Totally agree.

Total team effort. Taking what you can get.

AND spectacular game from Jurado and the RP.

I was very skeptical about the Defense, early. I'm not calling anyone out, but it was shaky overall. Very fitting for Gallo to make the closing catch, laying out, after hitting his 1st career GS.
DallasAg 94
NOW... we have to root for the Astros.

They beat the A's tonight, in Oakland, and the Rangers are Tied for the 2nd WC spot with the A's.

Lance Lynn on the mound for the Rangers tomorrow.
PatAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

People on this thread have gone to great lengths, they have pulled obscure stats out of there butts, and framed them in a positive way like a catcher frames a terrible pitch.
The term you are looking for is not "holier than thou" it is being condescending.

You claim we have used obscure stats. Pick a single obscure stat that I... or anyone else has pulled out.

Every comparison I have made... has been valid with real stats.

You are ready to give up on 25 year old Odor, with 716 G and .243 BA, because he has 6 seasons under his belt, while MOST other players are barely getting a callup at that age. Cool. We get it.

That doesn't mean Odor is an AS, or having a great season. But it wouldn't surprise you... or anyone else, if he finishes the season with better numbers than any of the 3 you fawn over.

Forsythe, Santana and Pence were all picked up off the spare heap and all having a great start to the season. I love it and hope they continue to do well.

I also know the Rangers will be a better team if Odor turns it around.
Would also be a better team if we replaced him with a better player
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

They beat the A's tonight, in Oakland, and the Rangers are Tied for the 2nd WC spot with the A's.

It's still so early in the season and the Astros are having so much injury trouble that I'm not ready to 100% concede the division ( only probably 95%)

It would be cool to tighten up the division while Correa, altuve, and springer are all out. I just want to make it clear that I don't have any delusions of winning the AL West, but if we can close the margin to 3 or 4 games before we meet for 7 games in early July, that could be fun and meaningful baseball for a young core who could use the experience.
DallasAg 94
PatAg said:

Would also be a better team if we replaced him with a better player
"Rangers would also be a better team if we replaced <insert player's name> with a better player.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

It's still so early in the season and the Astros are having so much injury trouble that I'm not ready to 100% concede the division ( only probably 95%)

It would be cool to tighten up the division while Correa, altuve, and springer are all out. I just want to make it clear that I don't have any delusions of winning the AL West, but if we can close the margin to 3 or 4 games before we meet for 7 games in early July, that could be fun and meaningful baseball for a young core who could use the experience.
The Astros absolutely need to be looking over their shoulder. The point of finishing the day T-WC, especially right now... is the perception it gives fans and the pressure it might present to the FO, that this team needs some help, and we're not ready to start dumping players, just yet.

The Astros with a little cushion, may have them hesitate to add pieces early.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

The Astros absolutely need to be looking over their shoulder. The point of finishing the day T-WC, especially right now... is the perception it gives fans and the pressure it might present to the FO, that this team needs some help, and we're not ready to start dumping players, just yet.

If the team has a good month and the playoff picture looks decent around July 15th or so, it would be very interesting to see what they do.

I wish we could strike a balance between blowing up the team and giving up the farm. A mediocre starter who can eat innings, give up only 3-4 runs and give our bats a chance to win might not cost too much I'm hoping.
PatAg
AG
I would love to make the playoffs our last season at the Ballpark.
wbt5845
AG
Because we need this gif...

Michael Cera Palin
AG
June 1st and in a three way tie for the second Wild Card spot. The improvement our lineup has made under the new coaching staff has been incredible.
DallasAg 94
PatAg said:

I would love to make the playoffs our last season at the Ballpark.
A little greedy... I would love to see them win the WS, our last season at the Ballpark.
DallasAg 94
Interesting article on the 3 we've discussed: Pence, Forsythe & Santana.
BarryProfit
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rangers are closer to last place than first place.
Schall 02
AG
I've only seen the replays, but was there a good crowd last night?
First Page Last Page
Page 47 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.