*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,378 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Old Tom Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, I think they just came to an understanding with the insurance that the whole DL thing was a formality and waste of time given the nature of his injury. If anything, they may have paid a few extra bucks for them to waive the requirement (nothing is free, so I"m guessing something along these lines happened). But from what I understand, it didn't substantively change the nature or timing of any payout to Fielder from either side.
PacifistAg
AG
Not sure if this was already posted, but an excellent article on Gallo's improvement this year.
Quote:

For what little batting average matters, it's interesting to note that Gallo's is up from .206 to .293 -- that's the third-largest jump -- but he's not striking out less (35 percent, third-highest in the Majors), and all the extra walks don't matter here. How?
That's partially because of his .406 BABIP, which is hilariously unsustainable; it's only the third-highest this year, but it would be one of the 10 highest in baseball history, so it's almost certainly not something that is going to keep up all year long.
That's not the same as saying "it's good luck," not with the way he's scorching it. His expected batting average, a Statcast metric based on exit velocity, speed, launch angle, and contact, is .273, not that far off his actual .290. And his expected BABIP, based on non-homer balls in play is .407, which nails that .406 almost exactly. It might not be sustainable, but it's not exactly about good luck, either. He's earning this.

Quote:

But it's also about the fact that Gallo is doing something that's the opposite of what you expect to hear in 2019 baseball: He's not hitting it higher. He's hitting it lower.

That can be seen in the fact that his launch angle is down from 22 degrees in 2017-'18, tied for baseball's highest, to 19.8 degrees, merely 19th-highest, but it's also about what's happening when he's not hitting his usual 30 percent grounders. It's what's happening in the other 70 percent of batted balls that's interesting.

He's cut his fly ball rate from 49.8 percent to 38.1 percent, baseball's third-largest drop. That would be a problem if they were being converted to grounders, but they're not. They're turning into line drives; his 32.1 percent liner rate is up 11.5 points from last year, and that's the second-highest improvement behind one of the very few hitters having a better year, Cody Bellinger.

Line drives are great for most players, and especially for Gallo. Over his career, he's hit .687 with an 1.109 slugging on liners, and a wild .778/1.444 this year. He gets more slugging on fly balls (1.284 career) but less batting average (.358). He's also mostly eliminated popups, which are essentially strikeouts; he has just 5 this year after 53 over the last two years.

This, essentially, is how he "beats the shift." It's not going the other way. It's hitting over the infielders, no matter where they are.

Quote:

With the shift on, look at the percentage of Gallo's batted balls that he's hit to the opposite field. It's less.
2017 -- 20%
2018 -- 23.3%
2019 -- 14.8%

With the shift on, he's hit exactly two opposite-field grounders this year. One was a groundout to the third baseman, playing in the shortstop position. One was an infield single, but clearly unintentional on Gallo's part.

Perhaps the best way to think about it is like this: Gallo isn't trying to "beat the shift," he's not going opposite field more -- less, actually -- and he's hitting like one of baseball's most elite sluggers.

toucan82
Damn west coast games
DallasAg 94
Clown Ball.
Cappo
AG
Good win
Grapesoda2525
The big stink is hitting .158 now.

I predicted that people would say "he's back" and blow it out of proportion when he got some hits off the royals, but I also predicted he would get back into trouble after we left Kansas City.

If he doesn't contribute anything on this road trip offensively, I'd send him down. 5 games left.

Glad to get the win tho. Our first trip to Anaheim was a disaster, maybe this one will be better.
DallasAg 94
HELLO WIN COLUMN!!!
Old Tom Morris
gigem1223
You're a beating and seriously need to seek help on your obsession with Odor and Heath.

This team is way exceeding expectations and all you can harp on every night is Odor's performance.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

You're a beating and seriously need to seek help on your obsession with Odor and Heath.

This team is way exceeding expectations and all you can harp on every night is Odor's performance.
You're the goof ball trying to hijack a thread with good discussion about the team to launch personal attacks.

Well done sir.
gigem1223
Not hijacking ***** Just pointing out your weird obsession. You seem to leach on to one player on every team you cheer for and beat down everyone with your hate for said player. It's getting beyond old.

Everyone here is a rangers fan and knows Odor is struggling. You don't have to point it out every night.
PatAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

You're the goof ball trying to hijack a thread with good discussion about the team to launch personal attacks.

Well done sir.
Lets remove the personal attacks. Can you try to post about 1/5th as much Odor related messages as you currently do ?
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

gigem1223 said:

Well done sir.
Lets remove the personal attacks. Can you try to post about 1/5th as much Odor related messages as you currently do ?
I'll try man. I'm just venting my frustrations. He seems to get a pass while everyone else is expected to play well or get demoted. It baffles me.

I'll post less about his struggles.
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Not hijacking ***** Just pointing out your weird obsession. You seem to leach on to one player on every team you cheer for and beat down everyone with your hate for said player. It's getting beyond old.

Everyone here is a rangers fan and knows Odor is struggling. You don't have to point it out every night.
You're crazy bro.

I haven't brought up heath since the nfl draft. You just did tho. There's no Mavericks player that I continually crap on.

If Odor would just be productive and hit over .200 maybe I'd lay off a little, but it's a total joke that he's on the major league team right now.

I'll quit bringing him up so much, but I won't quit talking about him completely.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94
Last night, they indicated Elvis will be back today.

We're about to add a guy batting .325, 6 HRs and 8 SBs, to a team that went 8-1 without him. We are 0.5 GB Boston for a WC position. We are tied with Cle.

I'm hoping our road woes have been cured. Mike Minor goes tonight, Jurado tomorrow, and then to Lynn.

2 more against the Halos
3@ Seattle (23-30) - Last in ALWest (22-28)

4v KC (17-32) - Last in ALCentral
<- MLB Draft begins
3v Balt (15-36) - Last in ALEast

I would like to see us go at least 8-4 in those 12 games.

Then:
4 v Oak (26-25) <- Khris Davis will be eligible to come off IL10, before the series, but there is uncertainty to the extent of his stay on the IL

Boston has 2 more against Houston. Then:
3v Cle
4@ NYY
3@ KC
4v Tampa

And then we visit Boston.
Grapesoda2525
Glad theres no Oakland for awhile. Playing that team is the ultimate buzzkill.
DallasAg 94
I mentioned it in the post above. But, too soon to think MLB Draft? General consensus is Adley Rutschman (C-Oregon St) to be #1.

Then a group of 3-4, including Bobby Witt's son, who is in Colleyville.

Rangers pick #8, which this mock draft has us taking Hunter Bishop (OF-Az St).

The mock draft declares TCU LHP Nick Lodolo as the top college arm.

I'd love to see the Rangers get Doxakis (Rk 44th) with their Competitive Balance Round A pick. Also, Shewmake is ranked 32nd.

Rangers have:
#8. Rd 1
#41. Comp Balance Round A
#50. Rd 2
#86. Rd 3.
Front Range Ag
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

And then we visit Boston.
I got a ticket last week to the opener in Boston. Row 5 behind the plate. It'll be my first trip to Fenway.

Needless to say, I am pretty stoked.
PatAg
AG
I will say, enough people defended Heath that we do need someone to counter that idiocy by reminding everyone how bad a player he is.

The problem with our current season is there aren't enough bright spots for people to naturally talk about, so the odor bashing stands out more.

Personally, I think that contract is a huge mistake and it's obvious he isn't going to better himself.
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

I will say, enough people defended Heath that we do need someone to counter that idiocy by reminding everyone how bad a player he is.

The problem with our current season is there aren't enough bright spots for people to naturally talk about, so the odor bashing stands out more.

Personally, I think that contract is a huge mistake and it's obvious he isn't going to better himself.
There's always a contingent of fans who is either loyal to the front office of the team no matter what or thinks that their team really is the smartest in the league. If these guys are vocal, watch out because they will be defending each and every mistake that the team has made.

Old Tom Morris
Quote:

Are you actually watching them this year, or are you just posting nonsense based on expectations? This is a team that most expected to finish last, and it is 2 games above .500 and in the WC hunt. It's 2nd in the league in runs per game. There have been numerous bright spots.
Old Tom Morris
Quote:

There's always a contingent of fans who is either loyal to the front office of the team no matter what or thinks that their team really is the smartest in the league. If these guys are vocal, watch out because they will be defending each and every mistake that the team has made
LOL. No one is trying to defend Odor. But you are out here every day to tell us the sky is blue and going on a rant about it. The sky is indeed blue. We agree. Yes, he's played terribly this year. We got it. Check. You are not the only one that has been critical of him. It's like you are some sort of ****ing baseball genius to tell us he's been bad, as if we don't see it.

But last night was not about Odor, yet it's the first thing yo have to post about. Again.
bigcat22
AG
Joe West is not one of my favorite umpires by any means, but this was a pretty classy move of him.

For those who don't know, long time DMN sports writer Gerry Fraley passed away today.

Old Tom Morris
I didn't know Fraley was sick. So sad to hear.
powerbelly
AG
Its a sad day for baseball.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Is Mathis the worst batter we've ever had?
Grapesoda2525
Ryno01 said:

Saltalamaccia was worse.
DallasAg 94
Currently tied for WC spot.
Grapesoda2525
The young core is really struggling on this road trip. I don't think all 4 of them have a single hit yet.
TDub
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ryno01 said:

Saltalamaccia was worse.

Let IKF catch 75% of the games
Grapesoda2525
The angel pitching staff really isn't that great. I can't believe these guys might shut us out.
Rossko
AG
etxag18 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Ryno01 said:

Saltalamaccia was worse.

Let IKF catch 75% of the games
Mathis is light years ahead of IKF in called games, framing & working with pitchers. The game of baseball is not offense only.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525 said:

The young core is really struggling on this road trip. I don't think all 4 of them have a single hit yet.
Wha are these four young core players?
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Wha are these four young core players?
Mazara, Odor, Guzman, and gallo.

If you read other message boards, they're seen as the "chosen ones" on the team. They should always be in the lineup because their development is the biggest priority and everyone else should be treated like 2nd class citizens.
First Page Last Page
Page 42 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.