*****Offical Texas Rangers 2019 Season Thread*****

468,470 Views | 4725 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, a few more weeks with about 2 wins and 4 or so losses by 6+ runs, I'm not sure the good nights will feel much worth it.
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

Yeah, a few more weeks with about 2 wins and 4 or so losses by 6+ runs, I'm not sure the good nights will feel much worth it.
The team has actually played well lately. The big exception is the 4 game disaster down in Houston.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

We have the best lineup in the majors.
I like our lineup, but it is not the best in the majors. It's not even the best in the division, or state of Texas.
Old Tom Morris
Technically, this lineup does lead the league in runs per game. So while simplistic, it is what I'd call the most objective measure of a lineup, although sure, there are more talented lineups out there.

#1 lineup. #29 pitching staff. .500 team.
Grapesoda2525
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

I like our lineup, but it is not the best in the majors. It's not even the best in the division, or state of Texas.
Not so fast.

Astros have played 48 games and scored 261 runs

Rangers have played 45 games and scored 264 runs.

It's close and the reason it's close is because they kicked our ass 4 games down there recently, but I'd say our lineup has outperformed theirs so far.
PacifistAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Not so fast.

Astros have played 48 games and scored 261 runs

Rangers have played 45 games and scored 264 runs.

It's close and the reason it's close is because they kicked our ass 4 games down there recently, but I'd say our lineup has outperformed theirs so far.
Yes, the Rangers average more per game, but there isn't a GM in baseball that wouldn't take the Astros lineup any day of the week over the Rangers. Astros have the best lineup in baseball, and it's not really even close.

Rangers
BA: .258
OBP: .339
SLG: .472
OPS: .811

Astros
BA: .279
OBP: .352
SLG: .506
OPS: .858

Astros rank #1 in all of baseball in each of those categories. They've also struck out almost 100 fewer times than the Rangers. They also have 5 players in the top 16 in the AL for WAR. I love the Rangers. I hate the Astros. But their lineup is insane, and that's without Altuve in the mix.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Also, I don't think it's fair to state that the runs scored is only close because of that 4 game series. One could easily turn that around and say the Rangers only have more runs/game because the Rangers have 3 games (2 vs Seattle, 1 vs KC), where they outscored the other team by a combined score of 45-3. 17% of our runs came in those 3 games, which only make up 6% of our schedule so far.

The point isn't to diminish the Rangers lineup, which is a very potent lineup. I just think you have to look at the totality of the numbers and, if you do that, I don't see how you can say it's better than what Houston has.
_lefraud_
AG
Funny (or sad) how many asstro lurkers come over here to star your post.
PacifistAg
AG
Perhaps. As a Rangers fan, I hate saying positive things about the Astros. As a baseball fan, though, I have to admit that their lineup is nasty.
DallasAg 94
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Also, I don't think it's fair to state that the runs scored is only close because of that 4 game series. One could easily turn that around and say the Rangers only have more runs/game because the Rangers have 3 games (2 vs Seattle, 1 vs KC), where they outscored the other team by a combined score of 45-3. 17% of our runs came in those 3 games, which only make up 6% of our schedule so far.

The point isn't to diminish the Rangers lineup, which is a very potent lineup. I just think you have to look at the totality of the numbers and, if you do that, I don't see how you can say it's better than what Houston has.
The Rangers have also faced the team with the 2nd best ERA in the AL ten (10) times.

22% of their games.

Meanwhile, the Astros got ten (10) games against one of the worst pitching staffs in ALL of MLB.
KT 90
AG
TR Sullivan has pitching related Q&A:

ARLINGTON -- Time to answer some burning questions about the Rangers' pitching staff with Jos Leclercpitching well and the closer situation up in the air.
Are the Rangers ready to put Leclerc back in the closer's role?
Manager Chris Woodward is not ready to anoint anybody as the closer. Shawn Kelley is expected to come off the injured list on Tuesday and Woodward still has confidence in Chris Martin -- even though he had a blown save on Sunday afternoon. Woodward said he could use all three in that role.
At some point, Leclerc will likely take over as closer. But Woodward also likes him in other roles, including opener and middle relief. Leclerc was dominant on Sunday -- striking out five of six batters in the fifth and sixth innings against the Cardinals. Woodward saw that as a huge part of the Rangers' 10-inning win.
Will the Rangers continue to use the opener?
Yes. The concept of using a short reliever for one inning to start the game is here to stay. Woodward likes it. He won't use it when Mike Minor or Lance Lynn pitches, but it is in play for the other three spots in the rotation.
It will come almost without warning. Woodward said it is difficult to plan the opener ahead of time. Much depends on who is used out of the bullpen on previous days leading up to the game being considered for an opener.
Why does Woodward like the opener?
Because it allows him to use a power reliever against the top of the opposing team's lineup and then let the starter ease into a rhythm and get on a roll against the lower part of the order.
Once the MLB Draft is over June 3-5, free-agent pitchers Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel will no longer cost teams a Draft pick if they sign one of those two. Will that push the Rangers toward pursuing either one?
Not likely. General manager Jon Daniels said the Rangers "won't do anything different" with Major League free agents once the Draft has passed.
Are the Rangers looking outside the organization for relief help?
Yes. Daniels said the club is exploring external options, but it won't do anything that will jeopardize the long-term vision for the organization. The Rangers' first choice is to go with their young relievers, but they're keeping their options open.
What is the plan for Shelby Miller?
The Rangers have taken him out of the rotation and want to see how he handles the bullpen. The club thinks Miller's power arm could be an effective weapon in two- to three-inning relief appearances. They are waiting for a low-leverage situation, so they can ease him into the role. But his first relief appearance should be coming soon.
Is Ariel Jurado staying in the rotation?
Yes. But the Rangers are going to adjust their rotation for a three-game series against the Angels that starts on Friday. Drew Smyly will pitch on Friday, Mike Minor will go Saturday and Jurado is scheduled for Sunday. The Rangers are planning to push Lance Lynn back to Monday against the Mariners to split up Minor and Lynn. Woodward said it's tough to get creative for three straight games with the other starters when Minor and Lynn are pitching back-to-back games.
Where does Taylor Hearn stand?
Hearn was shut down from throwing after experiencing tightness in his left elbow during his start on April 25. He is in Arizona and he is just beginning to resume light throwing. This could be a 6-8 week buildup similar to Spring Training.
What about Edinson Volquez?
The veteran right-hander had a clean MRI on Friday and he is ready to start playing catch again. He also is looking at a 6-8 week buildup before he will be an option at the Major League level.

Rangers beat
Outfielder Scott Heineman, who is recovering from offseason surgery on his left shoulder, has been assigned to Triple-A Nashville on medical rehab assignment.
Right-hander Reed Garrett, a Rule 5 Draft pick, has been returned to the Rangers. He had a 1.04 ERA in his first seven appearances with the Tigers, but a 17.55 ERA in his past six outings. The Rangers are eager to get him back.
"I was not expecting that when he made the team in Spring Training," Daniels said. "He hit a rough stretch the past couple of weeks, but that's not unusual for a rookie reliever. We're going to send him to Nashville, let him settle in, and he could be an option for us later in the summer."

Old Tom Morris
_lefraud_ said:

Funny (or sad) how many asstro lurkers come over here to star your post.
Seriously. LOL. The Houston area surely has the smallest dicked fanbase in the country
KT 90
AG
Kelley activated. Looks like Elvis will be back on Saturday.

Quote:

Texas Rangers transactions: Shawn Kelley has been activated from the 10 day injured list, the team announced today. To make room on the active roster for Kelley, the Rangers have optioned Brett Martin to AAA Nashville.
This is somewhat surprising. With the righthanded reliever Kelley being activated, the assumption has been that the Rangers would drop a relief pitcher, but speculation has been that Jeanmar Gomez (he of the 8.22 ERA in 15.1 IP) would be waived, or else Jeffrey Springs would be sent down. Instead, it is Martin, who has a 7.20 ERA and a 5.29 FIP in 15 innings over 14 games, who goes down.
This would seem to be the Rangers looking to preserve their depth, since cutting loose Gomezwould likely mean losing him from the organization. That being said, the Rangers will need to make another move on Saturday to activate Elvis Andrus, who went hitless in 3 at bats as the DH for Frisco earlier today.
Kelley was on the i.l. to have lumps removed from his throat. The biopsy results indicated that they were benign, which is good news for Kelley.

KT 90
AG
Calhoun back in the lineup tonight

TXAggie2011
AG
Rougie right back at it, although he should get another at bat to do something with.
94chem
Powder river on pitch 120. Impressive by Lynn.
_lefraud_
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26796852/o-pitching-staff-fastest-ever-allow-100-hrs
The Orioles have been Brocailed. How does this guy still have a job?!
Blindside05
AG
Gallo
Grapesoda2525
TXAggie2011 said:

Rougie right back at it, although he should get another at bat to do something with.
It's what I've been saying all along.

Big stink has hit homers off double AA quality pitching, but when he faces a decent pitcher it almost never goes well.
bigcat22
AG
Although Rougie has the hat trick tonight it was good to see Mazara have a strong game offensively
Grapesoda2525
bigcat22 said:

Although Rougie has the hat trick tonight it was good to see Mazara have a strong game offensively
Mazara looks like he's breaking out of his slump actually.

jtstanley4621
AG
Gallo is hitting close to .300 right now. AL leader in OPS. Honestly I didn't ever think he'd turn the corner but he seems to be putting it all together in impressive fashion. He's fun to watch, even with the Ks
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Gallo is hitting close to .300 right now. AL leader in OPS. Honestly I didn't ever think he'd turn the corner but he seems to be putting it all together in impressive fashion. He's fun to watch, even with the Ks
Gotta extend him

No brainer
KT 90
AG
Calhoun to the 10 day IL, DeShields recalled.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Bull*****

I don't get this decision at all. He was tearing up major league pitching. Hopefully he's back within a week. I guess the injury could be more serious than we think tho.
PacifistAg
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

KT 90 said:

Bull*****

I don't get this decision at all. He was tearing up major league pitching. Hopefully he's back within a week. I guess the injury could be more serious than we think tho.
You don't get what decision? To place him on the IL? Or to call up Deshields?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
What would you have had them do? List him day to day? It's not like they're just dying to get DeShields back up and used that as an excuse. Seems apparent he needs some time off to heal up. I don't see anywhere that there's some expectation that he's gonna go back to minors after.
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

What would you have had them do? List him day to day? It's not like they're just dying to get DeShields back up and used that as an excuse. Seems apparent he needs some time off to heal up. I don't see anywhere that there's some expectation that he's gonna go back to minors after.
For the past month or so, there's been an inevitable roster crunch that the team has been avoiding because so many of our bats have been doing well except for a few of the "chosen ones".
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't see how that's related to a guy going down with an injury and them bringing up DD. Had Odor been sent down and he came back up maybe, but I don't see the issue with this.
Bones08
AG
Another win!

One week from June and above .500. I like it!
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Sweeeep
_lefraud_
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Ranger #007 said:

For the past month or so, there's been an inevitable roster crunch that the team has been avoiding because so many of our bats have been doing well except for a few of the "chosen ones".

You need a Xanax
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I know it's early but put in a good roadtrip and we're solidly in the wildcard range heading into June. Honestly figured we'd be 5 to 10 games under .500 at this point, and if this team learns to win on the road we've got a good chance to be in contention this summer.

That being said, another craptastic road trip and this team is right back to where I expected them to be. I'd be shocked if we made the playoffs, but I need some sort of sports hope to last me at least until July.
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, they've exceeded my expectations, although I expect post-trade deadline we will likely see the bottom fall out after Minor is moved. If Lynn can string together a few more solid starts, I imagine he'll be shipped out as well.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
PacifistAg said:

Yeah, they've exceeded my expectations, although I expect post-trade deadline we will likely see the bottom fall out after Minor is moved. If Lynn can string together a few more solid starts, I imagine he'll be shipped out as well.
Minor and Lynn have definitely thrown a wrench in things. If they keep playing well it will keep us in wildcard potential which I think would be a huge boost for fan enthusiasm heading into the new stadium. If management cares about this season they'll keep them, but if they're 100% committed to competing in 2021/2022 then it'd be smart to trade them. I'm personally ok with trading them and hoping for the future, but I think the casual fan would be pretty pissed about that.

And all of this hinges upon the Rangers management developing a homegrown pitching class which they've yet to do in 10 years
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 136

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.