Thank you, Adrian Beltre

6,173 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by knoxtom
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1st ballot lock. Top 3 all-time 3B. One of the all-time greats.

MSFC Aggie
AG
BMX Bandit
Love that guy
Frok
AG
Great career. Probably could make it another year if he wants.
94chem
Frok said:

Great career. Probably could make it another year if he wants.
.273/15/65, 8 HR in September.

Yeah, ya think?
Harry Dunne
Steroids can benefit athletes for a decade after use
94chem
Wish we could say the same about your mom.
Harry Dunne
Nice, that cuts deep.

I like Beltre and he is a product of that era - I feel no different about his Hall of Fame chances than I do Bagwell or Biggio. I wouldn't have posted just to talk trash but I think it's funny that people are amazed he can play so well into his late 30s.

Just don't think we are going to see too many guys all jacked up having their best years in their 30s and playing into their 40s like we used to. That article explains a lot.
mhayden
Harry Dunne said:

I like Beltre and he is a product of that era - I feel no different about his Hall of Fame chances than I do Bagwell or Biggio.

Then you don't really understand how good Adrian Beltre's career was.

Comparing Adrian Beltre's Hall of Fame chances to Jeff Bagwell's after his retirement should disqualify you from any intelligent baseball discussion.
Harry Dunne
I obviously don't mean in terms of his likelihood to get in. I mean that he was suspected and accused of steroids but never directly linked.

For the record, I'm not against even known users getting in. It's silly to keep guys like Bonds out when it's pretty obvious the majority of the league was using. You don't put up Hall of Fame numbers against a bunch of guys using something that gives you a ridiculous advantage while being clean yourself. It's more likely that any Hall of Famer from that era used than that he did not and it's nave to think otherwise.

My original post was directed only at explaining Beltre's longevity even though he is most likely clean and has been for some time.
mhayden
So you have no idea if Beltre used steroids, don't care really if he did use steroids, acknowledge that his feats during the steroid era still outshine 99% all other major leaguers, but your contribution to the thread was a link to an article about steroids.
PacifistAg
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Nice, that cuts deep.

I like Beltre and he is a product of that era - I feel no different about his Hall of Fame chances than I do Bagwell or Biggio. I wouldn't have posted just to talk trash but I think it's funny that people are amazed he can play so well into his late 30s.

Just don't think we are going to see too many guys all jacked up having their best years in their 30s and playing into their 40s like we used to. That article explains a lot.
Same suspicion for Hank Aaron?

Aaron:
Ages 30-34 seasons: 34 HR; 101 RBI; .303/.370/.537
Ages 35-39 seasons: 41 HR; 101 RBI; .299/.396/.601

Beltre:
Ages 30-34 seasons: 27 HR; 89 RBI; .306/.350/.518
Ages 35-39 seasons: 20 HR; 80 RBI; .299/.358/..485

There's been no suspicion around baseball that Beltre ever used PED's. His averages dropped as one would expect of an aging player, but they stayed strong which one would expect of an all-time great player as well. Instead of PED's, could the simple fact that he went from traditional pitchers parks to more hitter-friendly stadiums have been a more likely factor in the strength of his numbers down the stretch of his career?

It's not uncommon for great players to play solid baseball deep into their careers. That typically is what distinguishes HOF players from those destined for the Hall of Very Good.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

My original post was directed only at explaining Beltre's longevity even though he is most likely clean and has been for some time.
Except it's not uncommon for a player, at least the greats, to play into their age 39 season. It's not like he's Ricky Henderson or Nolan Ryan. Pete Rose played until he was 45. Fisk, a catcher, played till he was 45 as well. Beltre's longevity seems longer than usual simply because he came into the league at 19 years old. Beltre's longevity is nothing out of the norm for HOF caliber players.
iceman08
AG
Just made it official
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg
AG
First ballot lock.

PacifistAg
AG
Deluxe
AG
Tip of the cap from an Astros fan
Mike Elko
AG
From a Cubs fan, always wished AB played for the Northsiders. Enjoyed watching him play when in Arlington, though.
PacifistAg
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
Even though we saw it coming it's still sad. Who will Elvis and Odor now slap over the head?
Sports-Ag
AG
jteagle
AG
He was an awesome baseball player but I am going to miss his personality even more than his play. It is refreshing to see his approach to the game. He played baseball and had fun like you're supposed to. I would have liked him even if he wasn't a Ranger. I'm gonna miss you Adrian!
Sports-Ag
AG
Dallasag02
AG
Sad day for baseball, and very sad day for the Rangers. We now officially have almost nothing to look forward to for 2019.

I hope they can figure out a way to keep him around the team in some capacity, even if it's just visits to spring training etc.
PacifistAg
AG
The book on the 20th century is now closed. He was the last remaining position player to debut in the 20th century (or so I'm told by the twitter).
toucan82
oh ****
mazag08
AG
Always enjoyed Beltre. What a career.
bigcat22
AG
PacifistAg
AG
All 3 at The Ballpark.
94chem
Man...

I feel just like I did in 1993 when Nolan walked off for the last time. Like Nolan, Adrian was still a great player until the very end.

The Rangers aren't bluebloods of baseball, but they have as great a collection of 3 HOFers as any team.

It will, for the rest of my life, be "too soon," but I'm taking a moment right now to really hate Lance Berkman and Darren Oliver.
jm94
AG

I'm a fan from his Mariners years. I always liked his bat, but loved his glove.

jm94
AG
Oh, and appealing his own check swings.
powerbelly
AG
He always looked like he was having fun. There isn't enough fun in baseball these days. He will be missed.
PacifistAg
AG
Since #29 is being retired today, I thought this thread would be a good place for this. The entire thread is great, but Ijust picked out some of my favorites:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.